• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

It says something that Ambrose, despite pretty much being shit on since the Shield breakup, has been outshining Roman and is seemingly more over than Roman.

Ambrose, much like Sandow and Heath Slater, is fantastic at turning chicken shit into chicken salad. The argument that Reigns isn't at fault because he's being given shit to work with doesn't hold up when you compare him with those guys.

Jamie OD

Rumour has it that the G1 will have FOUR blocks this year. I knew they wanted it to be "the biggest G1 ever", but damn, that's a lot of wrestlers. There were 22 over 2 blocks of 11 last year, so I'd guess the minimum this year would be 28 over 4 blocks of 7, or 32 over 4 blocks of 8. That's a ton of room for outsiders.

4 blocks of 8 kind of sounds too much. I could see them doing 4 blocks of 6 or 7. They did 4 blocks of 5 in 2000.

Sephzilla

Ambrose, much like Sandow and Heath Slater, is fantastic at turning chicken shit into chicken salad. The argument that Reigns isn't at fault because he's being given shit to work with doesn't hold up when you compare him with those guys.

I actually think Ambrose and Sandow probably have a bit more creative freedom than Reigns has right now, to be honest. Ambrose is probably told to just act crazy and he runs with that. Roman probably has multiple voices in his ears during every show telling him how exactly to act.

A few of my younger cousins saw Ghostbusters for the first time sometime last summer and loved it. Outside of one or two flimsy special effects, the original Ghostbusters holds up to the test of time pretty well. It doesn't rely on too many things that would date it or anything.

It might not be a box office phenomenon the first one was but I don't think the new one will be that bad. From what I saw of Bridesmaids, I thought it was okay and the Heat got a few laughs out of me.

Sephzilla

It might not be a box office phenomenon the first one was but I don't think the new one will be that bad. From what I saw of Bridesmaids, I thought it was okay and the Heat got a few laughs out of me.

I'm willing to bet that the movie quality wise will be decent. I'm just talking in terms of box office pull.

Men In Black > Ghostbusters anyways

Oh yeah, I went there.

Men in Black had a shittier sequel though.

At first I was thinking that Sabre was way too small to work New Japan heavyweight but he's actually got decent height. Dude just needs to put on around 15 pounds of muscle by summer.

G1 is a heavyweight only tournament? Wasn't Ibushi in it before?

That's the one thing that pisses me off about Japan, the strict divisions thing. I want more Nak vs Sabre matches dammit.

G1 is a heavyweight only tournament? Wasn't Ibushi in it before?

That's the one thing that pisses me off about Japan, the strict divisions thing. I want more Nak vs Sabre matches dammit.

Yes, G1 is the annual heavyweight tournament and Best of the Super Juniors is for, well super juniors. Devitt and Ibushi both were in the G1 after they moved to the heavyweight division.

Yes, G1 is the annual heavyweight tournament and Best of the Super Juniors is for, well super juniors. Devitt and Ibushi both were in the G1 after they moved to the heavyweight division.

So you're saying I'm *not* getting another Nak/Sabre match?

ezxd31g.gif

UberTag

Prophetic things I once said about Roman Reigns (we should all play this game, btw)...

OCTOBER 8th, 2013

It happened again.

CM Punk's quest to be WWE Champion storyline became about HHH and Kevin Nash. Daniel Bryan's quest to be WWE champion storyline is now about HHH and Big Show. All that's missing is Big Show texting himself.
When Dean Ambrose has his quest to be WWE Champion storyline, will it become about HHH and Roman Reigns?

DECEMBER 9th, 2013

Oh, I see.

Hopefully they do break Reigns off from the group. Start his face build at the Rumble.
A good way to put him over would be to have him break Kane's long-standing record for most eliminations in a single Rumble match.

FEBRUARY 11th, 2014

Enough people in this thread seriously think Cena shouldn't be in the main event anymore and Cena/Rock shouldn't have been the main event of WM XXIX for me to believe that no, they don't understand the economic of wrestling and just want to see their favorites having five star classics.
So you agree that the economics of wrestling would benefit from having John Cena main event every pay-per-view for the next 10 years wrestling the exact same match with the exact same opponents and winning all the time? Because that's what drives business, correct?

And when Roman Reigns is booked the same way and the product is even more stale, that will also be the correct way of doing things and the rest of us don't UNDERSTAND economics for expressing apathy? Have I got everything correct?
Really nice discussion around WWE booking philosophy between Alvarez and Meltzer to close last night's installment of Wrestling Observer Radio.

Encourage any of you with F4W subscriptions to check it out.

More or less just re-emphasizes SoulPlaya's post-RAW rant about nothing ever changing even if Cena was gone, how the WWE only wants to have 2-3 guys booked strong, how they willfully ruin careers of 90% of their talent because they don't have the "Vince" look and hence get preferential treatment (a la Roman Reigns). Good stuff.

Roman's post-Shield merchandise is going to look glorious.
425553812.jpg

FEBRUARY 12th, 2014

Notable defeats for Roman Reigns since being elevated to the main WWE roster...

- Getting pinned by Jey Uso via frog splash following two Daniel Bryan running knees and a Jimmy Uso superkick in the 11-on-3 gauntlet match on the September 23rd RAW
- Getting pinned by Cody Rhodes on the October 14th RAW to lose the tag titles after eating a KO punch from Big Show while the ref was watching (no DQ stip)
- Getting tossed by Big Dave at the Royal Rumble after eliminating a record-setting 12 opponents

That's it. All of those other Shield losses were by DQ or due to either Ambrose or Rollins getting pinned.

Incidentally, he was never pinned in NXT after adopting the Roman Reigns gimmick, either. You have to go back to his Leakee days in FCW to find pinfall losses to the likes of Kruger, Cesaro and Sandow.

This man will make Cena's Superman run look downright mortal by comparison once The Shield splits up.
Incidentally, here are Roman's notable non-DQ losses in the 11+ months SINCE I wrote the above post...

- Getting pinned by Bray Wyatt in the Wyatts vs. Shield match at Elimination Chamber following a cross body and a Sister Abigail after being subjected to a protracted 3-on-1 assault after Ambrose vanished with Bray after they fought into the crowd and Rollins had been put through the Spanish announce table.
- Getting pinned by Bray Wyatt in the Wyatts vs. Shield match on the May 5th RAW following a cross body and a Sister Abigail after Evolution interference effectively removed Ambrose and Rollins from the equation. This is probably the least protected defeat Roman has had but given that Wyatt was feuding with Cena at the time it doesn't come off as terrible. Plus, he got to superman punch Triple H right before it happened as a make-up present.
- He lost the 7-man ladder match for the title at WWE Money in the Bank in June; the other Shield members were relegated to the other ladder match for the briefcase.
- He lost a Fatal 4-Way match for the title at WWE Battleground in July after Cena AAed Orton onto Kane and pinned Grandpa Glenn. Roman ate an RKO outside of the ring before this finishing sequence but was otherwise protected.

Once again, that's it.

FEBRUARY 23rd, 2014

I think Reign's face turn is going to suck.
As long as he isn't a good two shoes face like Cena :(
It will suck in terms of him getting Cena-like booking. No question.
But it could at least start off halfway decent if they build up a decent Ambrose feud.
I don't trust them to do that. Nor do I trust them to make Ambrose look credible.
Best you could hope for between the two of them would be something like Christian-Orton 2011 where Orton won all the time but the feud was still decent.

Reigns is the most protected superstar in all of the WWE in terms of clean pinfall losses right now. The post-Shield era is going to be hell.

FEBRUARY 25th, 2014

Did you guys finally realize that Roman was constantly being carried and that you can't book him just off superman punch, spear, and ..... I don't think he has another move.

Hair flip. HES THE MODERN DAY KEVIN NASH. AND SMARKS SOMEHOW LOVE HIM. OH MY GOD
They'll turn on him soon enough. He's still being insulated by Ambrose and Rollins.

Striker

Review-A-Wai doing the 2002 Royal Rumble today.

Good title matches between Rock-Jericho and Edge-Regal I remember, but the return and hearing Mr. Perfect's theme was so great.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Review-A-Wai doing the 2002 Royal Rumble today.

Good title matches between Rock-Jericho and Edge-Regal I remember, but the return and hearing Mr. Perfect's theme was so great.

One of the last PPVs I heard about before taking six years off from Wrasslin. It's really quite a good show top to bottom. Another great McMahon match. He is MASSIVE in this fight.

UberTag

That some Nostradamus shit right there

Good job
To be fair, I also said a bunch of shit about D.Brine not winning at WrestleMania up until they added the title match stipulation. I underestimated their initial push for WWE Network subscriptions but they clearly weren't invested in him afterwards given how they sabotaged his title run.

scabro

To be fair, I also said a bunch of shit about D.Brine not winning at WrestleMania up until they added the title match stipulation. I underestimated their initial push for WWE Network subscriptions but they clearly weren't invested in him afterwards given how they sabotaged his title run.

so youre saying youre a fraud?

#cancelubertag'sneogafaccount

jred2k

Dying Light makes me regret taking advantage of that price error. I am not enjoying it so far.

The streams I've watched make it look really interesting, but I want to give it some time before I see what the consensus opinion is. I've always found when a game is marketed as a mix of two other well like games it will start out on a high, but loses novelty pretty quickly.

Naito & Ibushi will be teaming together as 'Golden Stardust' going forward, presumably they'll be challenging Goto & Shibata for the tag titles at some point. At Invasion Attack, maybe.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Naito & Ibushi will be teaming together as 'Golden Stardust' going forward, presumably they'll be challenging Goto & Shibata for the tag titles at some point. At Invasion Attack, maybe.

My New Japan Pro Wrestling Outline for 2015

What Will Happen
•Ibushi and Naito will form a tag team because they're kind of similar and they're not Okada so they can't be winning the IWGP title.

7JLa4k1.gif

Fox318

Rewatched the New Day vs Team Uppercats match

• Cesaro is the most over of anyone
  • Sharpshooter is still over in the right crowd
  • People fucking hated New Day
  • Really odd match pace.
  • New day are booked as the faces and Cats are heels despite the crowd flipping it
  • Why did Cesaro cheat with the pin? Felt really really out of place with the feel of the crowd.
  • Really enjoyed the wrong man spot with the ref.
  • Big E is the best of the New Day performers
  • Adam Rose looks happy when he isn't forced to job.
  • Kofi really isn't a great worker. Dude is athletic but he botches a roll up pin with Kidd.
  • WWE should want every PPV or Raw crowd to be like this. They were invested in the match. They were loud at who they liked and booing who they didn't. No CM Punk chants or any shit like that.
  • Commentary tried too hard at trying to get the New Day over. I wish the commentators would recognize the fans and the crowd. Its so fucking bizarre when you have people screaming for one person and the announcers are talking about the team they are booing in a positive light.

XenoRaven

I wonder if Goto, Shibata, Naito, and Ibushi all being in tag teams now is sort of a "we don't know what to do with you right now" thing or if they're trying to build their tag team division up. Maybe both?

Vylash

tonight's NXT matches

Number One Contenders Tournament: Baron Corbin vs Bull Dempsey
Number One Contenders Tournament: Tysons Kidd vs Adrian Neville
NXT Tag Team Championships: Kalisto and Sin Cara vs Wesley Blake and Buddy Murphy

Fox318

Saw that Reigns pull quote from the Sam Roberts interview on reddit. Wow. He makes it so easy to want to see him fail.

"Fans have to realize that as opinionated as they are and the way you want it, the company is the same way and they are gonna do what they wanna do...hopefully, at the end of the day, I'm the one getting rich."

I wonder if Goto, Shibata, Naito, and Ibushi all being in tag teams now is sort of a "we don't know what to do with you right now" thing or if they're trying to build their tag team division up. Maybe both?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the reasoning behind it, gives all four guys something to do for the first half of the year until the G1. Also, no offence to Gallows & Anderson, but Meiyu Tag & Golden Stardust are far better equipped to put on some exciting tag matches that can hang higher up the card, rather than somewhere in the middle.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think the last Reigns/Rollins match on Raw was better than his Summerslam match with Orton. Reigns/Orton has to be the oddest 4 star rating I've ever seen.

Dying Light makes me regret taking advantage of that price error. I am not enjoying it so far.

Buying a game because it's cheap almost never turns out well, friend.

Fox318

He really is way too talented to be doing this nothing gimmick. But at least he tries with the handkerchief and such.

Unless this is all a long con and they turn heel.

You can tell the dude has talent. Plus he has such a unique silhouette compared to most of the performers.

If he was white or Samoan he would have had the Bray spot in the rumble.

New Day feels like a response to that Salon article that misses the point of it.

I think Vince purposely wants 1-3 guys over so he only has to pay 3 guys.

No joke if I was in charge of personnel I'd probably have Big E be in the spot Big Show is. You get guys involved in main event story lines and the crowd gets used to them.

Instead they push Kane and Big Show in a spot that could be better served with a younger talent.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He really is way too talented to be doing this nothing gimmick. But at least he tries with the handkerchief and such.

Unless this is all a long con and they turn heel.

They really should have started him with the monster heel five count gimmick.

I do think that intended or not that the New Day will be a heel group in a few more weeks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Here's where the Roman as the new Cena push falls apart

'Ok Roman, here's your Make-A-Wish schedule'
'Ok how many different colored Roman Reigns vests can we make?'
They really should have started him with the monster heel five count gimmick.

He should just be Scott Norton.

Mengetsu

The streams I've watched make it look really interesting, but I want to give it some time before I see what the consensus opinion is. I've always found when a game is marketed as a mix of two other well like games it will start out on a high, but loses novelty pretty quickly.
Im gonna say it now as someone who has been playing since midnight with my two best friends the past day, If you plan on playing this game solo I really think you should pass on it. The game is built around you and your friends exploring and doing all the quest together. It could be fun single player but it works so much better with friends. It's a blast and quite the looker.
DZ4UnSR.jpg

Sephzilla

Honestly all three of the guys in New Day are above that gimmick. They'd all be further in the company if they weren't black I think. Kofi and Woods would be the tag champs if they were Samoan. Big E would probably be world champ by now if he had any of the family ties Roman has.

Rumour has it that the G1 will have FOUR blocks this year. I knew they wanted it to be "the biggest G1 ever", but damn, that's a lot of wrestlers. There were 22 over 2 blocks of 11 last year, so I'd guess the minimum this year would be 28 over 4 blocks of 7, or 32 over 4 blocks of 8. That's a ton of room for outsiders.
New_Kingdom_ROH_TV.jpg

tonight's NXT matches

Number One Contenders Tournament: Baron Corbin vs Bull Dempsey
Number One Contenders Tournament: Tysons Kidd vs Adrian Neville
NXT Tag Team Championships: Kalisto and Sin Cara vs Wesley Blake and Buddy Murphy
Good ass card despite being all rematches

Top Bottom