• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Rumour has it that the G1 will have FOUR blocks this year. I knew they wanted it to be "the biggest G1 ever", but damn, that's a lot of wrestlers. There were 22 over 2 blocks of 11 last year, so I'd guess the minimum this year would be 28 over 4 blocks of 7, or 32 over 4 blocks of 8. That's a ton of room for outsiders.

That's a lot of matches over 4 shows (7/20 in Sapporo, 8/14, 8/15, and 8/16 at Sumo Hall).

DMczaf

"Fans have to realize that as opinionated as they are and the way you want it, the company is the same way and they are gonna do what they wanna do...hopefully, at the end of the day, I'm the one getting rich."

Wade Keller during his podcast with Stone Cold mentioned that he talked to people close to Reigns and they said he's acting like he's already been given the keys to the kingdom and he doesn't have to worry about anything.

This really feels like Orton all over again.

Ithil

He's reminding me of Orton circa 2003-2005, and Orton was a total entitled brat. Definitely needs to work on those PR skills.

Hex

Banned
Rewatched the New Day vs Team Uppercats match

• Cesaro is the most over of anyone
  • Sharpshooter is still over in the right crowd
  • People fucking hated New Day
  • Really odd match pace.
  • New day are booked as the faces and Cats are heels despite the crowd flipping it
  • Why did Cesaro cheat with the pin? Felt really really out of place with the feel of the crowd.
  • Really enjoyed the wrong man spot with the ref.
  • Big E is the best of the New Day performers
  • Adam Rose looks happy when he isn't forced to job.
  • Kofi really isn't a great worker. Dude is athletic but he botches a roll up pin with Kidd.
  • WWE should want every PPV or Raw crowd to be like this. They were invested in the match. They were loud at who they liked and booing who they didn't. No CM Punk chants or any shit like that.
  • Commentary tried too hard at trying to get the New Day over. I wish the commentators would recognize the fans and the crowd. Its so fucking bizarre when you have people screaming for one person and the announcers are talking about the team they are booing in a positive light.

New day has been setting up for a heel turn.
The fans getting tired of it only helps.
First they mention in their opening blurb that they stay positive because if they don't then the angry side gets out, and then people get hurt.
Now the non Kofi and Big E guy has been cheapshotting outside of the ring.
It will progress. The question is will it be all three or will they do the whole cliche he is bad, the others do not agree and then either Kofi or Big E turn on the other and go with him.

XenoRaven

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the reasoning behind it, gives all four guys something to do for the first half of the year until the G1. Also, no offence to Gallows & Anderson, but Meiyu Tag & Golden Stardust are far better equipped to put on some exciting tag matches that can hang higher up the card, rather than somewhere in the middle.
I'm hoping it doesn't make the singles card too narrow. I guess we'll see what they come up with.

Either way, KES gonna mop up all these scrubs and reclaim what's rightfully theirs.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
They really should have started him with the monster heel five count gimmick.

I do think that intended or not that the New Day will be a heel group in a few more weeks.

That would still be a really good spot for him now, especially since they need fresh heels. It would also put a younger, homegrown guy into the upper mid card and show that NXT works.

Wade Keller during his podcast with Stone Cold mentioned that he talked to people close to Reigns and they said he's acting like he's already been given the keys to the kingdom and he doesn't have to worry about anything.

Haha I hope he gets all that he deserves.

Fox318

Orton was pushed because Lesnar left in the way that he did.

And at least Orton had a heel gimmick of killing fan favorites. Orton's issues had more to do with him being an extreme jerk. Reigns at least stood with Rollins and Ambrose to prevent the Shield from breaking up in a way that would have killed their careers.

This Reigns interview man. He knew what was going to happen in Philly. It really sounds like the people running the company are just so out of touch.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/sam-roberts-wrestling-podcast/e/36776291?autoplay=true

DMczaf

If you guys haven't listened to Austin's Rumble review

http://podcastone.com/Steve-Austin-Show-Clean

It's an interesting listen, Austin also draws the parallels to Reigns and Rocky Maivia. They talk about the Rumble in-depth, how poorly booked it was, and the post-show interview where you can tell Austin lost a lot of faith in Reigns for that promo.

kiguel182

Big E should be given some mic time and freedom to just be his silly self. He is a funny dude and they should capitalize on that.

"Fans have to realize that as opinionated as they are and the way you want it, the company is the same way and they are gonna do what they wanna do...hopefully, at the end of the day, I'm the one getting rich."

He said that? What an ass. Makes it hard to want to see him succeed. And sure, he might get rich, but not on my money.

Ithil

¡HarlequinPanic!;149521004 said:
least orton back then had a bod...

....and heat 8)

Well I said a long while back Reigns didn't seem like the next Cena, he seemed like the next Orton. Expected to be the face of the company, the perfect look and girls like him, but lacking a piece of the puzzle and ultimately a disappointment to WWE even if he is still a success, just below the number one spot he was expect to reach.
I think this is why it's a terrible idea to pick a young inexperienced guy solely for his look and family name, and tell him he's automatically the future of the company and give him the megapush. Orton got a bighead out of it, Reigns may be the same way.

If nothing else, Cena does appear to be a good guy, far more than a guy in his position would be expected to be.

Sephzilla

Well, I wanted to like the guy. Not so sure anymore if that's how he really is.

That Sam Roberts interview man...

Don't boo me I have a family to feed!!!

Then go home and be a family man instead of shitting up the program.

I wonder how many guys on the roster would benefit from a strongly booked junior/cruiser-weight division.

If I had a dollar for every time I've read "WWE should push the cruiserweights" and/or "turn Eugene heel," I'd have enough to fund at least a full year's subscription to both NJPW World and the WWE Network.

Hasney

That Sam Roberts interview man...

Don't boo me I have a family to feed!!!

You should be booin yoself

r-truth-o.gif

rrc1594

I don't hate Cena as much as most fans, probably because I just started to watch WWE again in 2012 after 6 years of stopping. So I'm not tried of him, but man how many times does Orton need to carry his ass in a match. O yeah I don't know how much Gaf loves CM Punk of not but I don't and I think he's a self-centered douchbag TBH

Ithil

If you guys haven't listened to Austin's Rumble review

http://podcastone.com/Steve-Austin-Show-Clean

It's an interesting listen, Austin also draws the parallels to Reigns and Rocky Maivia. They talk about the Rumble in-depth, how poorly booked it was, and the post-show interview where you can tell Austin lost a lot of faith in Reigns for that promo.

Yeah I heard it yesterday, it's good. Both of them are pretty much spot on with the criticism of Reigns, the Rumble and Vince. Keller answers a question of whether this backlash will be good for Reigns as there would never have been a Rock without Rocky Maivia, by saying that Rocky Maivia didn't main event Wrestlemania and win the WWF title.

Never mind that that's the Rock, not everyone is going to have his hidden charisma.

Fox318

Listening to the quote isn't as bad as reading it.

Honestly it just comes down to Vince, Hayes, and Dunn being out of touch and possibly ashamed of what business they work in.

I think Reigns has had so many critical voices thrown at him that he is just starting to ignore it.

His interview with HHH is gonna be something, alright.

O yeah I don't know how much Gaf loves CM Punk of not but I don't and I think he's a self-centered douchbag TBH

I don't think any Punk fans would disagree.

jmdajr

Good ol JR has Mark Madden on his show. Doesn't bring the hammer down like Austin though.

edit: Reigns served his role perfectly as a member of the shield. I don't think too many had a problem with him at all. But yeah now on his own....

DMczaf

Listening to the quote isn't as bad as reading it.

Honestly it just comes down to Vince, Hayes, and Dunn being out of touch and possibly ashamed of what business they work in.

I think Reigns has had so many critical voices thrown at him that he is just starting to ignore all of the voices.

Reigns hears voices in his head, they council him, they understand, they talk to him.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Now that Stro isn't around to counteract what I say I do have to admit that I like Mark Madden's heel commentary most of the time. It's only awful when Mike Tenay was also in the booth because those two fought like Heel Cole and King after Cole interfered in the title match.

That's a lot of matches over 4 shows (7/20 in Sapporo, 8/14, 8/15, and 8/16 at Sumo Hall).

They haven't announced the full G1 tour yet, but it'll be more than 4 shows - Sapporo is the opener, so they'll have 28 days to fit in the shows they need. Also, with more wrestlers and more blocks, it'll probably work out so each guy gets more than one day off from the tour.

joelseph

Can anyone vouch for the SMV Tyler Black compilation? Anything else of value on SMV that is not Chikara? Looking to get in on this 25% sale. Want comps of Black and Moxley. Not sure what best of series to roll with.

Hex

Banned
Had no idea that Vince wanted to push Big E, while Haitch wanted Reigns instead.

Vince is the reason that Big Slow and Kane are still in your face week after week, and Mark Henry would be too if Vince had his way if Henry did not get injured every time he left his feet.

DMczaf

WWE needs to hurry up with the 96-97 Raws on the Network. 1997 Raw/Nitro is still the best year of wrasslin television in history. BAR NONE!

Watching the transformation of Rocky Maivia over time was something else.

Can anyone vouch for the SMV Tyler Black compilation? Anything else of value on SMV that is not Chikara?

I hear good things about Inspire Pro, going to check them out in the sale. Is that the AAW Tyler Black compilation? I'd probably skip it, the ROH produced one is a lot better. Some other promotions worth checking out; AAW, AIW, Battlewar, Beyond, ICW, SMASH, wXw

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

In the context of the interview; he's talking about how he has to feed his family (since they were at poverty levels before he went into WWE), and I am perfectly fine with wrestlers using their leverage against Vince (CM Punk, Lesnar, etc) considering how hard Vince has screwed wrestlers for decades...but this shift is waaaay too sudden. I smell epic heel turn. If he had superman punched Rock at the end of the RR - he would have become the #1 heel in the company in that single instance.

Big E should be given some mic time and freedom to just be his silly self. He is a funny dude and they should capitalize on that.

He said that? What an ass. Makes it hard to want to see him succeed. And sure, he might get rich, but not on my money.

Big E is one of the most underutilized wrestlers in terms of personality. Him and AJ actually made an awesome duo; with AJ's legit wackiness and Big E's complete lack of shame & zen-like approach - out of the ring stuff was pretty awesome.

I have to think they're intending for nuclear heat for Reigns - they need a major heel pronto, and faces challenging a heel champ is a much easier storyline to pull for the next year due to the number of top tier faces vs top tier heels.

WM 32 will be face Bryan vs heel Reigns for the belt, I think.

Fox318

I wonder how many guys on the roster would benefit from a strongly booked junior/cruiser-weight division.
They would fuck it up like any title. I've mentioned this before but if you defend a belt for a certain time you should be able to trade it in for a PPV title shot. You have to give up the belt and a tournament it created to decide the next one who holds the belt.

This way an hour 2 match on Raw could have championship implications.

Plus you make it so it doesn't seem like a stretch that a guy like Tyson Kidd could face Brock Lesnar.

Ithil

Rocky Maivia was really rough. The blandest baby face ever. Reigns destroys him already from the presentation side of things.

Maybe in the Shield, sure, all three members were cool, even when the Shield was face. But now he's dropping Looney Tunes promos and Cena-like "You have the right to boo me or cheer me" lines.

They've mucked it up fast.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shield were pretty much over day 1 really. This is like the opposite.

In fact the only main eventer I can think of from the last twenty years who might even contend with The Rock for worst first phase of their career would probably be Lionheart Hockey Loving Face Chris Jericho in WCW. He had nothing going on so much so that they gave him Teddy Long as a manager.

Maybe in the Shield, sure, all three members were cool, even when the Shield was face. But now he's dropping Looney Tunes promos and Cena-like "You have the right to boo me or cheer me" lines.

They've mucked it up fast.

Fans HATED Rocky being forced upon them. Even worse Rock didn't even have a good look back then. Meanwhile the Shield had that NWO mystique and Reigns has looked good since day one. It took the Rock forever to get over while Reigns was over from day one. The backlash probably won't be as high. Then again, the Rock could actually wrestle and had the benefit of some really strong programs for the second, organic push. Reigns needs those Shamrock and HHH type feuds but I don't think he can get them as a face.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Rocky Maivia was really rough. The blandest baby face ever. Reigns destroys him already from the presentation side of things.

That's what I'm saying is Rocky Maivia is nowhere close to what The Rock was. He started with no character/'im a good guy!' and did a complete 180. Roman Reigns already has his 'cool guy' character and look. Even if they change it up, I can't imagine it being that much different. He'll still probably wear mostly black and still wear some kind of shirt to cover his flab. And it's not working. I do think the Luger comparison is more apt, but as much as I hate Luger, Luger at least had some great singles matches under his belt before his big push. And he had a really stand-out look for 1993 WWF.

rrc1594

WWE needs to hurry up with the 96-97 Raws on the Network. 1997 Raw is still the best year of wrasslin television in history. BAR NONE!

Watching the transformation of Rocky Maivia over time was something else.

It's crazy to see how in 90s they developed so quick. I watch the Rumble and Austin come out as the "Ringmaster". Then next year he is Stone Cold I'm like WTF

Fox318

In the context of the interview; he's talking about how he has to feed his family (since they were at poverty levels before he went into WWE), and I am perfectly fine with wrestlers using their leverage against Vince (CM Punk, Lesnar, etc) considering how hard Vince has screwed wrestlers for decades...but this shift is waaaay too sudden. I smell epic heel turn. If he had superman punched Rock at the end of the RR - he would have become the #1 heel in the company in that single instance.

Big E is one of the most underutilized wrestlers in terms of personality. Him and AJ actually made an awesome duo; with AJ's legit wackiness and Big E's complete lack of shame & zen-like approach - out of the ring stuff was pretty awesome.

I have to think they're intending for nuclear heat for Reigns - they need a major heel pronto, and faces challenging a heel champ is a much easier storyline to pull for the next year due to the number of top tier faces vs top tier heels.

They can't turn him heel and sell shirts like this

PLzZBn6.jpg

This is what happens when a marketing department and a boardroom pushes a guy.

Showaddy

Isn't the ability to cut a promo and carry a match kinda important for a heel though? Like Reigns got over by wrestling in short bursts for the Shield but he looks pretty terrible when he's used up his 3 moves.

Fox318

That's what I'm saying is Rocky Maivia is nowhere close to what The Rock was. He started with no character/'im a good guy!' and did a complete 180. Roman Reigns already has his 'cool guy' character and look. Even if they change it up, I can't imagine it being that much different. He'll still probably wear mostly black and still wear some kind of shirt to cover his flab. And it's not working. I do think the Luger comparison is more apt, but as much as I hate Luger, Luger at least had some great singles matches under his belt before his big push. And he had a really stand-out look for 1993 WWF.

Luger improved over time as a performer.

Can you say that about Reigns?

Top Bottom