• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And I've said this before, I'll say it again. Turn Roman heel? You know that heels lead the matches, right? Roman ain't leading a match. I'd feel for the poor sod who has to work around him as a heel.
Luger improved over time as a performer.

Not really. Luger's early years were much, much better than his later years.

Ithil

Isn't the ability to cut a promo and carry a match kinda important for a heel though? Like Reigns got over by wrestling in short bursts for the Shield but he looks pretty terrible when he's used up his 3 moves.

The carrying a match, absolutely, though he wouldn't be expected to have as many crowd popping moves. But heel runs can do wonders for mic work. Not everyone, but even look at Rollins, he's naturally bad at talking but he's come on strides in since his ROH or NXT days thanks to the heel runs in the Shield and his current one.
I still wouldn't have Rollins talk for long periods of time but he can do a promo now. Or look at Bryan before his WHC heel run, and after, he was infinitely better at talking.

Not that it's guaranteed, some people are just never going to be good at talking.

Fox318

7vhHkkg.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The biggest missed opportunity of this whole thing is not having Vince on commentary for a Roman Reigns match.

Could you even imagine?

Cagey

Banned
The carrying a match, absolutely, though he wouldn't be expected to have as many crowd popping moves. But heel runs can do wonders for mic work. Not everyone, but even look at Rollins, he's naturally bad at talking but he's come on strides in since his ROH or NXT days thanks to the heel runs in the Shield and his current one.
I still wouldn't have Rollins talk for long periods of time but he can do a promo now. Or look at Bryan before his WHC heel run, and after, he was infinitely better at talking.

I would hazard a guess that there's less precise scripting of when heels talk versus the faces.

Rollins biggest improvement has been "less is more": using less words to say the same thing. He's come a long way in a short time on that front.

Ithil

Had no idea that Vince wanted to push Big E, while Haitch wanted Reigns instead.

I don't think that split lasted too long, given they pushed Big E for like a month then Vince got bored as he does and stopped (lo and behold, when his push ended Big E lost his overness). It seems like he's been on board with Reigns as his next guy since at least 2013 when they started having him break all those records and be the only guy in the Shield to win matches.

Ithil

I would hazard a guess that there's less precise scripting of when heels talk versus the faces.

Rollins biggest improvement has been "less is more": using less words to say the same thing. He's come a long way in a short time on that front.

Eh, Rollins still has a lot of very unnatural lines that were obviously scripted. It's more in his delivery that has improved, and working around his weedy voice.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Isn't the ability to cut a promo and carry a match kinda important for a heel though? Like Reigns got over by wrestling in short bursts for the Shield but he looks pretty terrible when he's used up his 3 moves.

They have Paul Heyman around; promos won't be an issue. (Especially if they do what I think will be a double turn at WM with Lesnar and Reigns and Heyman betraying Lesnar).

With faces like Bryan, Cena, Orton, Ambrose, and Ziggler all around - the faces could lead the match easily if need be.

Not that it's guaranteed, some people are just never going to be good at talking.

People forget that Rollins was terrible (as in makes Reigns look good level of bad) at promos in NXT & ROH. His heel mic work has been phenomenal since he came up to the main roster, but it was definitely unexpected.

kiguel182

In the context of the interview; he's talking about how he has to feed his family (since they were at poverty levels before he went into WWE), and I am perfectly fine with wrestlers using their leverage against Vince (CM Punk, Lesnar, etc) considering how hard Vince has screwed wrestlers for decades...but this shift is waaaay too sudden. I smell epic heel turn. If he had superman punched Rock at the end of the RR - he would have become the #1 heel in the company in that single instance.

Big E is one of the most underutilized wrestlers in terms of personality. Him and AJ actually made an awesome duo; with AJ's legit wackiness and Big E's complete lack of shame & zen-like approach - out of the ring stuff was pretty awesome.

I have to think they're intending for nuclear heat for Reigns - they need a major heel pronto, and faces challenging a heel champ is a much easier storyline to pull for the next year due to the number of top tier faces vs top tier heels.

WM 32 will be face Bryan vs heel Reigns for the belt, I think.

But, even then, they wouldn't let him be that wacky. He was still silent big man. Just a waste of a guy that could bring so much more to the table. Of course he would've to do his own comedy since WWE's version of funny rarely is.

Remember when WWE had him as a sort-of pastor for a while? That was awful. The way WWE treats black wrestlers is just awful.

I am curious how the crowds will treat Reigns from now on and if they go through with the main event. It's just too funny. Feels like a Twilight Zone episode.

...thats.... not why i'm not interested in the new ghostbusters

It is for me. It's not because I'm opposed to women in leading roles, because I enjoy tons of movies with women in leading roles. I don't think they should change a beloved franchise by altering the makeup of the cast.

Sephzilla

The biggest missed opportunity of this whole thing is not having Vince on commentary for a Roman Reigns match.

Could you even imagine?

Vince on commentary for the Rumble would have been magical. He would have either been the only guy in the arena cheering Roman, or he would have had an on air meltdown mid sentence after Roman won.

People forget that Rollins was terrible (as in makes Reigns look good level of bad) at promos in NXT & ROH. His heel mic work has been phenomenal since he came up to the main roster, but it was definitely unexpected.

He was pretty weak for a lot of The Shield's run, too. Ambrose was instrumental in getting those guys over.

Most of the good stuff Big E did was with AJ on their instagram / twitter / YT / etc. On the show it was kind of meh; but the pictures AJ would take with Big E were epic, as were the videos. Also, their entire rebuttal of the "guy who is pining over his female friend" was funny.

Ziggler, AJ, and Big E were an amazing stable. Too bad none of their best stuff actually happened on TV.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
But, even then, they wouldn't let him be that wacky. He was still silent big man. Just a waste of a guy that could bring so much more to the table. Of course he would've to do his own comedy since WWE's version of funny rarely is.

Remember when WWE had him as a sort-of pastor for a while? That was awful. The way WWE treats black wrestlers is just awful.

Most of the good stuff Big E did was with AJ on their instagram / twitter / YT / etc. On the show it was kind of meh; but the pictures AJ would take with Big E were epic, as were the videos. Also, their entire rebuttal of the "guy who is pining over his female friend" was funny.

Sephzilla

It is for me. It's not because I'm opposed to women in leading roles, because I enjoy tons of movies with women in leading roles. I don't think they should change a beloved franchise by altering the makeup of the cast.

Gender swapping the entire cast does feel a tad "publicity stunt"-ish but it's irrelevant to why I'm not interested in a reboot of Ghostbusters. I'm against a reboot of Ghostbusters simply because the original movie holds up fine today.

kiguel182

I know coming up with new ideas is hard but rebooting beloved movies is just lazy.

How many classics or great movies come from reboots? Just do something new.

Sephzilla

I know coming up with new ideas is hard but rebooting beloved movies is just lazy.

How many classics or great movies come from reboots? Just do something new.

What's eventually going to happen is a huge big budget reboot that studios think is an easy slam dunk will bomb at the box office and hopefully kill off the reboot craze. Studios are very "play it safe" these days, if doubt about the success of rebooting proven franchises arises then they'll flee.

kiguel182

What's eventually going to happen is a huge big budget reboot that studios think is an easy slam dunk will bomb at the box office and hopefully kill off the reboot craze. Studios are very "play it safe" these days, if doubt about the success of rebooting proven franchises arises then they'll flee.

The Robocop one didn't do great so I'm not seeing this stick for long. Hopefully.

Hopefully a Marvel movie as well. 2 for 1.

lol maybe in a few decades

Scottify

I'm sure this was discussed, thread on repeat, etc... But, do any of y'all remember your first house show or TV event or PPV or whatever? Regardless of promotion?

Mine was back around 1985 or 86 I bet. I went to go see an AWA house show that was being held somewhere on the UMD (University of Minnesota Duluth) campus. Probably their hockey arena. I remember seeing Greg Gagne, Buck Zumhoff & of course Baron Von Rashke.

What I remember most was the main event. Larry 'The Axe' Hennig & a very young Kurt 'The Double Axe' Hennig, yes the announced him as such, vs. The Road Warriors.

Good times, good times. Please share your memories if you have any.

Sephzilla

The Robocop one didn't do great so I'm not seeing this stick for long. Hopefully.

I'm a huge RoboCop mark but I've always felt it wasn't a huge AAA level franchise.

Hopefully a Marvel movie as well. 2 for 1.

lol maybe in a few decades

DC comics is going to poison that well before Marvel does.

well that's because Robocop was always overated and kids these days don't actually care about it, to most people today he's just that weird dude who once saved thevigilantesting

270swsw77sw2yu.gif

ibkJjAc7Otx0UM.gif

imBask

Banned

well that's because Robocop was always overated and kids these days don't actually care about it, to most people today he's just that weird dude who once saved thevigilantesting

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
"Heeeeeeree he comes! Descended from greatness, destined for greatness! The Juggernaught, Rrrrroman Reigns! Coming through the WWE Universe, though his people, as only Roman can do!"
"I don't know if all of them are his people, McMahon! I know I'm certainly not!"
"What are you talking about, Jesse?! How can anyone deny the unstoppable force of the most CHARISMATIC MAN IN WWE HISTORY!
"I take offense to that McMahon!"
"Well, Jesse we'll stand you and Roman next to one of our amazing female WWE universe fans, and we'll see how well you fare. Hahaha!"

"Rollins now! Or maybe it's Reigns! Or Rollins! Or Reigns! Oh he's got him NO! Roman plants him down with ease! Could it be?! Could it be?! SUUUPPERRRRMAN PUUUUUUUUNCHAAAAAHHHAHAHAGHGH"
"He really nailed him with that one. I'm surprised Rollins didn't move out of the way given their experience together"
"Well, Jesse once the juggernaught gets going he can't be stopped! 1-2-3! He got him! Roman Reigns puts another notch in his belt as he lays the pavement for his Road to Wrestlemania! Just like his cousin former WWE champion, The Rock, Roman marches to the beat of his own drummer! The crowd showing their appreciation for one of our most popular stars here in the WWE while simultaneously showing their disdain for the hated Seth Raaawlinss"
"I don't think they're booing the man who lost, McMahon. I think they're booing Roman"
5 seconds later
"OOHHH YEAH ROMAN REIGNS DO THE THING"

They would fuck it up like any title. I've mentioned this before but if you defend a belt for a certain time you should be able to trade it in for a PPV title shot. You have to give up the belt and a tournament it created to decide the next one who holds the belt.

This way an hour 2 match on Raw could have championship implications.

Plus you make it so it doesn't seem like a stretch that a guy like Tyson Kidd could face Brock Lesnar.

Title cash ins are better for no. 2 titles like the ic belt. I was thinking of treating a jr belt like a world title for smaller guys.

Omega

Banned
Rewatched the New Day vs Team Uppercats match

[*]Commentary tried too hard at trying to get the New Day over. I wish the commentators would recognize the fans and the crowd. Its so fucking bizarre when you have people screaming for one person and the announcers are talking about the team they are booing in a positive light.
[/LIST]

this always confused me.

If you want to be out of touch that's fine but don't ignore it, it looks worse. If you're gonna chalk it up to Philly being Philly then mention that in your commentary. Shit on Philly fans and talk about how they're ungrateful and hate everything. Do something, anything besides ignore it

but then you take a step back and realize there are no commentators anymore, just advertisers. They're not there to talk about the match or the storyline (if for some reason someone wrote one by accident) they are there to talk about the WWE Network, the mobile app, twitter, Skype, oovoo, myspace, etc.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lol Curt Hennig has an interview in AWA and Jesse Ventura walks on screen and Curt just slowly backs out during his interview.

Beta as fuck.

Top Bottom