• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Bandini

Big E has a ton of potential and already has a lot of charisma but he's dreadfully boring between these four ropes. I watched just about all of his matches from his IC reign and by the end I could call every spot before it happened. Hopefully ND hurries up and turns and he can add some heel moves to his arsenal.

Cagey

Banned
Also, CUT THE FUCKING HAIR.

I think Bryan looks stupid, but I think the solution would be:

1) Staying face? Shave clean (or trim that bitch significantly), continue with this psuedo-Samurai hair thing.

2) Turn heel? Shave head (or trim etc.), continue with crazy hobo beard.

Second one strays into the Wyatt Family lane but it works though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really love Bray Wyatt's look. I don't think I've ever talked about it. Like the entrance attire with the fedora and hawaiin shirt is whatever but the sleeveless shirt with the sweats/different colored pants? Put that together with the tattoos and the beard, and I think he pulls it off way better than I ever would have thought he would.

The 'bloody' tattoo really helps.

I'm sure this was discussed, thread on repeat, etc... But, do any of y'all remember your first house show or TV event or PPV or whatever? Regardless of promotion?

Mine was back around 1985 or 86 I bet. I went to go see an AWA house show that was being held somewhere on the UMD (University of Minnesota Duluth) campus. Probably their hockey arena. I remember seeing Greg Gagne, Buck Zumhoff & of course Baron Von Rashke.

My first show was roughly that same time. Dad took me to see a WCCW house show. It was awesome to see a couple of the von Erichs live. Ultimate Warrior also worked as the Dingo Warrior so I was amazed when he turned up in WWE a year or two later. Was always a big fan of his as a kid because of that.

I really love Bray Wyatt's look. I don't think I've ever talked about it. Like the entrance attire with the fedora and hawaiin shirt is whatever but the sleeveless shirt with the sweats/different colored pants? Put that together with the tattoos and the beard, and I think he pulls it off way better than I ever would have thought he would.

The 'bloody' tattoo really helps.

I love his look too, which is why I wish he'd shut the fuck up. He really doesn't need to say much at all since his entrance/look speaks for him.

jmdajr

Wait--so WWE higher-ups think the only reason Daniel Bryan gets cheered is because of the "Yes" chant, and not himself?

Not enough LOLs in the world. Those guys are delusional.

Jericho told a story in his book about Big Show being irate that Khlai stole his chest slap move done in the corner of the ring.

"that's my fucking spot!" They literally got into a fight.

He seemed pretty ok hijacking D. Bray's gimmick though. To be fair probbaly didn't have a choice.

I'm sure this was discussed, thread on repeat, etc... But, do any of y'all remember your first house show or TV event or PPV or whatever? Regardless of promotion?

Mine was back around 1985 or 86 I bet. I went to go see an AWA house show that was being held somewhere on the UMD (University of Minnesota Duluth) campus. Probably their hockey arena. I remember seeing Greg Gagne, Buck Zumhoff & of course Baron Von Rashke.

What I remember most was the main event. Larry 'The Axe' Hennig & a very young Kurt 'The Double Axe' Hennig, yes the announced him as such, vs. The Road Warriors.

Good times, good times. Please share your memories if you have any.

While I watched a lot of wrestling on tv for years, I didn't start attending shows until 2004 or so. It was a Smackdown taping after Wrestlemania 20. Featured JBL kicking out illegals at the border, John Cena vs one of the Bashams, Chavo vs Jackie for the cruiser weight title, the Undertaker vs the FBI, and Rey and RVD vs the Dudley Boys.

I went to 2 other WWE TV tapings after that but besides a 30 minute Rey vs Eddie match I felt they were pretty underwhelming.

jred2k

The Breeze avatars are from the Avatar Rumble. They certainly pretty up the thread don't they.

He had some good matches with Rusev. A lot of that is probably due to Rusev, but Big E can have good matches with the right opponents. He has a good mix of power and speed so if he could get some confidence and some longer matches he could probably have a good showcase.

Sephzilla

Big Show complaining about anyone stealing something from his moveset is funny considering the guy has the most basic fucking set of moves possible.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love his look too, which is why I wish he'd shut the fuck up. He really doesn't need to say much at all since his entrance/look speaks for him.

But I like his voice too. And his lariats.
I like Bray a lot. I wish he had better feud material. I'd have much rather seen Dutty write an Ambrose/Bray feud.
Big Show complaining about anyone stealing something from his moveset is funny considering the guy has the most basic fucking set of moves possible.

Dude stole Kaz Hayashi's move anyways

Fox318

i9jTcqC.jpg

Classic Observer tidbit

Latest weird gimmick at Incredibly Strange Wrestling is a wrestler known as the HIV Kid. His gimmick is that he does run-ins and clears the ring by obviously blading himself and chasing the heels off

This fed had so many great ideas, wonder why they never took Vince out.

joelseph

Watching my first NJPW match from WK9.

Did the talks of making english commentary a regular thing go anywhere?

This is some good shit.

He's already fucked this up by appearing to do advertisements for the Network, video game, Make a Wish...

The only one who still has the best presence is Luke Harper, but they squander him by not giving the guy anything.

It's so frustrating seeing so many good talents age and get old while WWE has no clue what to do with them

I'd much rather Bray turn pseudo face to take down the authority for Rumble, while Harper gets to take on Undertaker. I can't see Bray and Undertaker working as good as Harper and Taker.

Sephzilla

>Big Show complains that Khali stole his corner chop spot
>Big Show does corner chop spot
>Crowd "WOOO"s because its actually a Flair spot

But I like his voice too. And his lariats.
I like Bray a lot. I wish he had better feud material. I'd have much rather seen Dutty write an Ambrose/Bray feud.

Oh, for sure. Even when he speaks though, I think less is more. But in an era with so few capable people on the mic I think he's probably asked to do more than he should.

MoosiferX

Watching my first NJPW match from WK9.

Did the talks of making english commentary a regular thing go anywhere?

This is some good shit.

I don't think that there's been anything official for upcoming PPVs, but at least they have the show on AXS now w/ english commentary! If you enjoy WK9, which you probably will, be sure to check it out.

He's already fucked this up by appearing to do advertisements for the Network, video game, Make a Wish...

The only one who still has the best presence is Luke Harper, but they squander him by not giving the guy anything.

It's so frustrating seeing so many good talents age and get old while WWE has no clue what to do with them

I'd much rather Bray turn pseudo face to take down the authority for Rumble, while Harper gets to take on Undertaker. I can't see Bray and Undertaker working as good as Harper and Taker.

That's WWE in 2015 though. Something works? Run it into the ground.

Bray should have been the one to take the Streak last year. Would have done wonders.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
>Show looks like a stupid jackass.

Even Nash and Sid had corner spots similar to this. He needs to retire.

From where I sit I don't see any reason why Show would even want to retire. He too big to be required to do particularly dangerous spots and they keep letting be involved in the main storyline.

It's the same reason Kane is still around. Being reasonably reliable and well-liked helps a lot in keeping you employed.

I've reached my moment of acceptance with Roman now. What's done is done and I hope all the success for him. Better to wish the best for someone than failure. So let's give Roman a chance here so we can have TWO new fresh stars instead of just one in Bryan.

XenoRaven

Bray has a great lariat. I also really like when he just sort of throws his entire body at someone. It has really good impact and fits the character really well. Like there's nothing really refined about it. He just runs into you.

T.A.L

What if a legend went into business for himself to get Bryan over...

Rock being the voice of the people , displeased with the people's cries being ignored decides to dust off the Hollywood Rock gimmick and put Bryan over at Wrestlemania.

What if a legend went into business for himself to get Bryan over...

Rock being the voice of the people , displeased with the people's cries being ignored decides to dust off the Hollywood Rock gimmick and put Bryan over at Wrestlemania.
Nope. Bryan doesn't need any of that shit.

So... how soon do you think before WWE goes full PR mode and pushes a sympathy Make a Wish kid story with Roman to the mainstream media?

Before or after Fast Lane?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've reached my moment of acceptance with Roman now. What's done is done and I hope all the success for him. Better to wish the best for someone than failure. So let's give Roman a chance here so we can have TWO new fresh stars instead of just one in Bryan.

If they want him to get over they need to work on his wrestling, not his mic skills. Rollins got over with a bunch of people who tuned in just for RR and he didn't even say a word the entire time other than in a stupid commercial for the iPad game. In the end, all wrestling storylines are shitty soap opera, particularly if you divorce them from the performance art.

XenoRaven

Oh, another thing I like about Bray is that when he knows someone is going to duck his lariat he doesn't just lazily stick his arm out. He whips his arm forward and makes it look like if his opponent didn't duck they would have been decapitated.

Hex

Banned

What I remember most was the main event. Larry 'The Axe' Hennig & a very young Kurt 'The Double Axe' Hennig, yes the announced him as such, vs. The Road Warriors.

Good times, good times. Please share your memories if you have any.

First PPV was Wrestlemania 2.
First live event was a house show , NWA with The Road Warriors and Midnight Express, Rock and Roll Express and the Fantastics. Nikita Koloff against someone. Boogie Woogie man Jimmy Valient and the Cuban Assassin.
Main event was a cage match with Kevin Sullivan against..I want to say Dusty.

Vylash

From where I sit I don't see any reason why Show would even want to retire. He too big to be required to do particularly dangerous spots and they keep letting be involved in the main storyline.

It's the same reason Kane is still around. Being reasonably reliable and well-liked helps a lot in keeping you employed.

but is Big Show even reliable or well liked? he's still lazy and dangerous and by all accounts he's also a fucking prick

Bray's quite astonishing to watch live. Gives me a 'It's still real to me, dammit!' moment with how frighteningly realistic and painful his moves seem. It doesn't come across as well on TV. Ah, well. At least he's already good in basically every aspect. I sure hope he gets the chance to refine everythung with experience, rather than WWE ruining it before it gets REALLY good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One thing I always liked about WCW, and it kind of went away in the Russo years despite it being his goal to do it even better, and I give him credit for trying.

Everybody had a spot. Everybody felt like they got enough tv time, enough heat, it felt very, very organized. This is the cruiserweight title, here is the champion, here are the contenders. You didn't see rankings, but you could watch Nitro and kind of figure it out. I was like 8 years old and could figure out, 'Ok, Rey has the title. Psicosis and Ultimo Dragon have been winning a good bit in tag matches and non-cruiserweight matches. They're probably the next contenders.' Not 'ok this guy is getting pushed he's getting a title shot' using kayfabe and thinking about it like it was a sport.

And you had the mentality, 'ok TV champion is below US champion. These are the TV guys, sometimes you can move up to US and if you win a lot and do well, you might do the WCW title.' The TV champion still felt like a big deal because he was still a champion. And like the IC title of yore, you knew it meant there was a chance to have them move on to do greater things. Everyone felt bracketed. You had a nice shot of what your goal was for your favorite guy to be THE champion. Maybe TV title was one title too many, but WCW had such a huge roster that they probably needed that. And it was nice because some of the cruiserweight guys were believeable when it came to a lower tier 'heavyweight' title like the TV. A guy like Finaly could be TV champion, and you wouldn't have any trouble believing it, and it would raise his status. Raven being US champion made Raven look like a big deal because it was a title that guys like DDP and Goldberg wanted or had. 'The rub' if you weel.

WWE went back to Golden Era booking of 'ok main title is champion(usually the same guy who you put on all the posters a la Hogan or Cena) and villain of the week.' But Golden Era had the strongest 'midcard' booking EVER. And it always meant you were just a step or two away from Hogan. WWE doesn't do that. I don't even know who the midcard champion 'brackets' are now. And Attitude Era had the strong main event scene, but everything below it was a complete clusterfuck.

I never understand the complaints about Bray doing events and signings. He's not the Undertaker. He's a fucking cult leader. He wants to appear human, he wants people to come to his signings, he wants 'fans' because 'fans' are more followers. It's ingenius and it's the perfect gimmick to work with Cena because they can, and have, play thee angle that Bray is brainwashing the fans. It's the only gimmick that has ever made Cena being booed make sense.

Thorakai

The most surprising thing about Bray to me is the surge of support he gets from the WWE. Twice now they've booked him on a credibility fasttrack to fight big names like John Cena and the rumored Undertaker.

Marvel

could never
Bray has a great lariat. I also really like when he just sort of throws his entire body at someone. It has really good impact and fits the character really well. Like there's nothing really refined about it. He just runs into you.

Yup his moveset is nice, his suplex throw is cool too. There was this great 'Taker like spot he did in FCW I think where he got chopped in the chest, threw his head back and laughed then just straight up booted the guy in the face. Was awesome.

More of that "I'm dead, so what ya got?" shit in his matches please.

imBask

Banned
i'm getting a Nexus 6 later today guys, how do I download the damn WWE App? it's so complicated, if only someone could explain it to me

Top Bottom