• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

imBask

Banned
I think that once they bring up the NXT wrestlers, the brand split should be re-instituted. But instead of Smackdown vs RAW, it should alternating weeks. So Brand A gets RAW & SD one week, Brand B gets RAW & SD the other week. Keeps people fresh and rested, and doesn't overexpose them.

dang, I really like that idea

overexposure is a big problem in WWE right now

Just watched the RR, what do you guys think was going through Rocks head at the end there while he held Romans hand up? Also, felt bad for Roman. It's not his fault they decided to ram him down people's throats

don't feel too bad, now:

When I read this today, and heard from Wade Keller that Reigns has been acting like he has it made, I quickly stopped feeling any sympathy. I hope he gets booed into oblivion on Thursday.

somedevil

From Pwinsider. It seems Owens has brought in the money since his debut:

Word from within WWE is that merchandise sales for NXT star Kevin Owens are doing extremely well. Owens' first-ever WWE t-shirt first went on sale during the weekend of Takeover on December 11th.

WWE officials are very happy with how the former Kevin Steen has brought his fanbase with him to NXT, something a lot of NXT talents don't do.

He has some loyal fans.

Kacho

Gold Member
Brand split was trash and needs to stay dead.

He has some loyal fans.

I wasn't familiar with him before his debut at NXT and I bought his shirt. Dude seems awesome.

I've been thinking about this lately. I was thinking about how Zayn and Neville could get the opportunity to put on a match like they had at (R)Evolution on the main roster. The conclusion I came to was that they probably couldn't, unless they were in the main event, which probably won't happen. They don't give their midcard time to breathe because their events are booked like variety shows instead of wrestling shows. There's all this external stuff they consider like merch sales and Total Divas and yadda yadda whatever.

A lot of people say the IC title doesn't matter because it gets passed around so much. But that seems like only half the problem. If they gave every IC title match at least 20 minutes on each PPV, it would do wonders for the belt. If a feud ending match got more than 8 minutes on RAW with a commercial break in the middle, then maybe people would care more about the guys coming out of the feud. I supposed this would involve fewer matches on the card overall and less variety bullshit which is obviously impossible, but it would do wonders for the under card.

Every PPV costs the same now. All of them are under one service. Why is it so fucking hard to make a story and revolve it around the IC Title for a month and then have it main event a PPV. I would take that instead of an empty tag match.

Cagey

Banned
Attitude Era definitely did not have meaning behind the titles. They were as they are now, a title to attach to meaningless matches prior to the main event that everyone came to see. The IC, European champions got bigger pops back then but that's because it was the Attitude Era and EVERYONE got bigger pops back then.

WWF title was the only title anyone cared about in the Attitude Era. Everything else was filler by that point. It's not like Undertaker and Kane were vying for the IC title to get to Austin with the WWF title. They just went straight to the WWF title.

Sure, and it wasn't as well done as WCW as you pointed out, but my memory as a kid from that era is knowing and fully understanding who was in the "Hardcore Title Tier", the "European Title Tier", the "IC Title Tier", etc. I remember thinking, when a guy would fight for a championship above their prior station, that that dude was now a bigger deal.

Now... the US/IC championships might as well be the same damn thing.

Hasney

Attitude Era definitely did not have meaning behind the titles. They were as they are now, a title to attach to meaningless matches prior to the main event that everyone came to see. The IC, European champions got bigger pops back then but that's because it was the Attitude Era and EVERYONE got bigger pops back then.

WWF title was the only title anyone cared about in the Attitude Era. Everything else was filler by that point. It's not like Undertaker and Kane were vying for the IC title to get to Austin with the WWF title. They just went straight to the WWF title.

It's kind of true. I mean, the titles were still better used than they are right now, but even so, the people feuding over the belts usually had a story to go with it and something to do instead of jobbing in non-titles.

Sephzilla

Brand Split worked when they basically had an overcrowded roster with the top stars of both WWF/E and WCW, but it sure as fuck wouldn't work with the depleted roster they have now.

Their roster is so depleted that not only can they not do a brand split they can barely support both shows with the current roster they have. Granted part of this issue is booking.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Their roster is so depleted that not only can they not do a brand split they can barely support both shows with the current roster they have. Granted part of this issue is booking.

As it is, they're already putting Big Show and Kane matches on 2 times a week. In 2015.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_ngvlnrdQ0r1sj4xr4o1_500.gif

The most charismatic man with a mask since El Generico.

Hasney

Vince got jealous that smackdown was beating them and that's when things went to shit.

Well, that and Heyman being on that secret Raw call accidentally.

He has some loyal fans.

Think it helps that he came in quite quickly from his last outing on the indies and he debuted in an NXT that had already gotten a lot of traction.

darkbanjo

The thing about WCW having such a tight structure is that it makes complete logical sense. You want to see your guy rise through the ranks, it's a lot more satisfying that way.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Brand Split worked when they basically had an overcrowded roster with the top stars of both WWF/E and WCW, but it sure as fuck wouldn't work with the depleted roster they have now.

Except you have Zayn, Breeze, Bull Dempsey, Baron Corbin, Kevin Owens, Hideo Itami, Finn Balor, Adrian Neville, Kalisto, Charlotte, Bayley, & Sasha Banks all who could get over if given the opportunity on a top tier or mid card level. The Vaudevillians could be a good mid-card heel tag team. CJ Parker would be a great jobber heel.

That's an INSANE amount of talent. Balor, Zayn, Owens, Itami, and Charlotte are all folks who could legitimately be top tier stars. Right now if they come up, that group is going to challenge Ziggler, Bryan, and Rollins for fandom. You already have to basically turn Balor to find him a slot.

Sephzilla

Potentially unpopular opinion time: After Rollins uses his MITB contract, I think they should put the gimmick on the shelf for like 5 years or so. I feel like that whole thing has run its course and isn't nearly as entertaining as it used to be.

Toki767

When I read this today, and heard from Wade Keller that Reigns has been acting like he has it made, I quickly stopped feeling any sympathy. I hope he gets booed into oblivion on Thursday.

I heard that story too, but I think it's more along the lines of Reigns isn't actively trying to improve as much as he should be. If anything he seems to have regressed as an in-ring performer. He does less moves now than when he was with the Shield.

The Family Reunion at the Rumble was done so poorly I thought it might have been a botch. Harper and Rowan clearly appear to be teaming up against Bray with Cole backing this up on the mic, but then for no apparent reason Harper and Rowan start hitting each other.

The biggest problem is if you're going to split up the Wyatt family of redneck cultists, you have to make them very clearly not doing that after they leave. They're just the same guys doing the same gimmick except not in a stable and one of them is a face for no real reason other than he thinks Renee is hot and John Cena told him to be a face.

I genuinely want to know what happened here.

It made no sense.

And yes, commentary was confused as well.

What was supposed to happen?

This Rumble was terrible, and I hear it's because Pat Patterson was behind all the intricate mini feuds and spots in the past

They shouldn't be trying to film as many hours of original content as they are at this point. Cut Raw back to two hours, turn SmackDown into a Prime Time Wrestling-esque show in order to give it an identity of it's own without splitting their pathetic roster and cancel Main Event and Superstars.

Potentially unpopular opinion time: After Rollins uses his MITB contract, I think they should put the gimmick on the shelf for like 5 years or so. I feel like that whole thing has run its course and isn't nearly as entertaining as it used to be.

I'm with you on that, and I'll go even further: fuck the Royal Rumble.

Sephzilla

They shouldn't be trying to film as many hours of original content as they are at this point. Cut Raw back to two hours, turn SmackDown into a Prime Time Wrestling-esque show in order to give it an identity of it's own without splitting their pathetic roster and cancel Main Event and Superstars.

Cut Raw to 2 hours. Cut Smackdown to 1 hour. Cut either Main Event or Superstars entirely. Fire half of the writers. Tell Vince to step down. Promote HHH to head of creative.

I'm with you on that, and I'll go even further: fuck the Royal Rumble.

Nah, the Rumble is fine. In terms of establishing the main story of WrestleMania, it's great (when done right). It's a gimmick match that can really help a lot of stars (again, when done right).

MITB has simply become to predictable.

Hasney

I heard that story too, but I think it's more along the lines of Reigns isn't actively trying to improve as much as he should be. If anything he seems to have regressed as an in-ring performer. He does less moves now than when he was with the Shield.

I hadn't heard that. If that's true, he is going to fall lower than Sheamus-tier.

Say what you will about Cena, but he does work his arse off when he feels he needs to. I'm still slightly shocked by the Michinoku Driver from Sunday.

Ithil

He has some loyal fans.

HHH obviously already thought he had a winner on his hands in Owens, this'll probably multiply that idea. I mean, HHH is under pressure for his NXT to produce stars, so far very few of the major NXT guys have actually come up, it was mainly just the nobodies like Adam Rose.

They spent a lot of money on the Performance Center and rebranding NXT, on HHH's initiative. It's not just an ego thing of "I want my guys to be on top", he's got to prove that the whole NXT investment is justified and is producing money making stars. The Shield and Bray are to an extent (even if Ambrose and Reigns are barely NXT guys really) but a talented new guy already selling lots of merch while still in developmental, that's a good talking point to say the least.

darkbanjo

Agreed. The ladder match is still good, but the cash-in thing feels more like a hindrance than a help at this point.

Toki767

I hadn't heard that. If that's true, he is going to fall lower than Sheamus-tier.

Say what you will about Cena, but he does work his arse off when he feels he needs to. I'm still slightly shocked by the Michinoku Driver from Sunday.

Yeah. Cena may be bulky and awkward when he moves, but I don't doubt that he actually knows how to wrestle.

With Reigns it's like...the last time he busted out a new move was like...a normal suplex or something in one match.

T.A.L

I would be all for that if it meant king of the ring with a title shot at Summerslam

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hate the MITB gimmick because it never makes the winner look strong. It just makes them look lucky. Outside of Edge and MAYBE Rollins(we'll see how it goes once he cashes it in)

It's not a star maker. It's just a quick way to give someone 'former World Champion' expecting that that'll make the fans think higher of them except it doesn't because the fans know that they just won it from luck.

Cena's not a good wrestler. He's an okay wrestler who can have a great match with either an amazing wrestler or an amazing feud.

But he busts his ass. He busts his ass like nobody else. The fact that he's still alive is amazing to me when you hear about his schedule. I think Roman's going to be in for a rude awakening when he realizes what being the next Cena is. Even Punk talked about how he was like 'fuck no' to Cena's schedule.

Hex

Banned
Cut Raw to 2 hours. Cut Smackdown to 1 hour. Cut either Main Event or Superstars entirely. Fire half of the writers. Tell Vince to step down. Promote HHH to head of creative.

Nah, the Rumble is fine. In terms of establishing the main story of WrestleMania, it's great (when done right). It's a gimmick match that can really help a lot of stars (again, when done right).

MITB has simply become to predictable.

If you cut Raw to 2 hours, you will get about an hour of actual in ring time.

I wonder how long guys like Balor and Owens will be in NXT? They're older guys and honestly seem like they're ready now. Zayn is ready too obviously.

Ithil

I hate the MITB gimmick because it never makes the winner look strong. It just makes them look lucky. Outside of Edge and MAYBE Rollins(we'll see how it goes once he cashes it in)

It's not a star maker. It's just a quick way to give someone 'former World Champion' expecting that that'll make the fans think higher of them except it doesn't because the fans know that they just won it from luck.

Cena's not a good wrestler. He's an okay wrestler who can have a great match with either an amazing wrestler or an amazing feud.

But he busts his ass. He busts his ass like nobody else. The fact that he's still alive is amazing to me when you hear about his schedule. I think Roman's going to be in for a rude awakening when he realizes what being the next Cena is. Even Punk talked about how he was like 'fuck no' to Cena's schedule.

There should have been more like RVD, who announced his cash-in for an event ahead of time.

Ayo I wanna rap wit y'all on this match: watched rumble 99 while cleaning on sunday.

lol at both this and '15 starting with road dogg coming out for a match.

As hard as it is to watch thanks to the brutality is there a match that plays the strengths of its participants better than the mankind/rock "I quit" match? A match that gives rock access to a mic at anytime. One that showcases Mankind's unreal pain tolerance. Shit just such a cool match. Why'd it have to have a dumb ending like the one it had though.

A CORPORATE ELBOW HERE, A CORPORATE ELBOW THERE.

And why was the rock wrasslin' in a t shirt back then.

Sephzilla

I wonder how long guys like Balor and Owens will be in NXT? They're older guys and honestly seem like they're ready now. Zayn is ready too obviously.

Balor will stick around long enough to get an NXT title run and then get called up. I think Owens might straight up follow Zayn to the main roster once Zayn's title run is over.

Top Bottom