• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Toki767

So... how soon do you think before WWE goes full PR mode and pushes a sympathy Make a Wish kid story with Roman to the mainstream media?

Before or after Fast Lane?

They'll have Roman stop a robbery or something. Basically let him do everything Bryan did in real life but WWE never bothered talking about.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
but is Big Show even reliable or well liked? he's still lazy and dangerous and by all accounts he's also a fucking prick
No, they keep hiring a guy everyone hates, isn't terribly popular among the fans and is a huge douchebag. Seriously, by what account?

Sephzilla

I wish they'd reunite the Wyatt family to be honest. Harper and Rowan don't really feel like they have any kind of direction right now.

Sephzilla

I don't care about Rowan but it's so sad for Harper... he's soooooo goooooood and his mannerism are incredible

He is and I always thought he worked well alongside Bray. I think reuniting the Wyatt family just helps everyone. It keeps Rowan and Harper present in bigger storylines since Bray will almost always be in bigger feuds than either of the others will be as singles stars (Survivor Series being the lone exception). And it makes Bray look more legit as someone who can brainwash and lead with words.

Vestal

One thing I always liked about WCW, and it kind of went away in the Russo years despite it being his goal to do it even better, and I give him credit for trying.

Everybody had a spot. Everybody felt like they got enough tv time, enough heat, it felt very, very organized. This is the cruiserweight title, here is the champion, here are the contenders. You didn't see rankings, but you could watch Nitro and kind of figure it out. I was like 8 years old and could figure out, 'Ok, Rey has the title. Psicosis and Ultimo Dragon have been winning a good bit in tag matches and non-cruiserweight matches. They're probably the next contenders.' Not 'ok this guy is getting pushed he's getting a title shot' using kayfabe and thinking about it like it was a sport.

And you had the mentality, 'ok TV champion is below US champion. These are the TV guys, sometimes you can move up to US and if you win a lot and do well, you might do the WCW title.' The TV champion still felt like a big deal because he was still a champion. And like the IC title of yore, you knew it meant there was a chance to have them move on to do greater things. Everyone felt bracketed. You had a nice shot of what your goal was for your favorite guy to be THE champion. Maybe TV title was one title too many, but WCW had such a huge roster that they probably needed that. And it was nice because some of the cruiserweight guys were believeable when it came to a lower tier 'heavyweight' title like the TV. A guy like Finaly could be TV champion, and you wouldn't have any trouble believing it, and it would raise his status. Raven being US champion made Raven look like a big deal because it was a title that guys like DDP and Goldberg wanted or had. 'The rub' if you weel.

WWE went back to Golden Era booking of 'ok main title is champion(usually the same guy who you put on all the posters a la Hogan or Cena) and villain of the week.' But Golden Era had the strongest 'midcard' booking EVER. And it always meant you were just a step or two away from Hogan. WWE doesn't do that. I don't even know who the midcard champion 'brackets' are now. And Attitude Era had the strong main event scene, but everything below it was a complete clusterfuck.

I never understand the complaints about Bray doing events and signings. He's not the Undertaker. He's a fucking cult leader. He wants to appear human, he wants people to come to his signings, he wants 'fans' because 'fans' are more followers. It's ingenius and it's the perfect gimmick to work with Cena because they can, and have, play thee angle that Bray is brainwashing the fans. It's the only gimmick that has ever made Cena being booed make sense.

The TV Title was an amazing title and the matches around it were trully great. It was the "Workers" title, the US title always felt like the big name title. The matches between Sting, Muta, Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton ect for the TV Title were amazing.

Obviously this was Pre-NWO Angles and all that.

I wish they'd reunite the Wyatt family to be honest. Harper and Rowan don't really feel like they have any kind of direction right now.

They fucked that stable up so bad, didn't even make Harper & Rowan tag champs in their run.

I thought when they were all in the ring at the Rumble they were reuniting to help Bray and lost my shit. Obviously things didn't go that way.

Anth0ny

So... how soon do you think before WWE goes full PR mode and pushes a sympathy Make a Wish kid story with Roman to the mainstream media?

Before or after Fast Lane?

I'd say they're waiting for the crowd reaction this week.

After he gets booed out of the building on Thursday, they'll drop the make a wish video on Monday's Raw.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The most surprising thing about Bray to me is the surge of support he gets from the WWE. Twice now they've booked him on a credibility fasttrack to fight big names like John Cena and the rumored Undertaker.

The writers like Bray, Vince likes Bray, Hunter like Brays. Just because he's been given shitty feuds that have hurt his momentum, they still like him. Because EVERYONE has had their momentum hurt except for maybe Rollins(which is just a matter of time before that happens). He works well for them, and I definitely think they value him highly in their roster.

When a guy like Jake The Snake says 'He reminds me of me', that says a lot. Especially to me.

EWmof.gif
EWmof.gif
EWmof.gif
EWmof.gif
EWmof.gif
EWmof.gif
'311111111111124rf2

Kacho

Gold Member
I've reached my moment of acceptance with Roman now. What's done is done and I hope all the success for him. Better to wish the best for someone than failure. So let's give Roman a chance here so we can have TWO new fresh stars instead of just one in Bryan.

I'm with you. Having a couple of days to reflect on it, if he manages to make it work more power to him. That said, I don't expect him to make it work and I'll no doubt LOL every time he delivers another garbage promo.

Hasney

I've reached my moment of acceptance with Roman now. What's done is done and I hope all the success for him. Better to wish the best for someone than failure. So let's give Roman a chance here so we can have TWO new fresh stars instead of just one in Bryan.

I knew Verendus' Belee posts had basic hypnotism in there with the reperition and well-formed scheme. THE ASCENSION
so I don't bother a mod again

From where I sit I don't see any reason why Show would even want to retire. He too big to be required to do particularly dangerous spots and they keep letting be involved in the main storyline.

It's the same reason Kane is still around. Being reasonably reliable and well-liked helps a lot in keeping you employed.

Show and Kane also get paid. A lot. Only difference is that Kane's kinda nice, and Big Show certainly is not. All that matters is that Vince still likes them like it's still 2004, for some reason.

Yup his moveset is nice, his suplex throw is cool too. There was this great 'Taker like spot he did in FCW I think where he got chopped in the chest, threw his head back and laughed then just straight up booted the guy in the face. Was awesome.

More of that "I'm dead, so what ya got?" shit in his matches please.

Yeah, he could really take a leaf out of early Taker's book, giving across the impression of being unbeatable. Only difference is that, unlike a young Taker, young Bray is a very good wrestler.

And there's another thing as well that I enjoyed thanks to Bray. His feud with Cena was extremely interesting, imo. Only thing I disliked about it was the outcome. It's kinda 'good vs evil, Cena never gives up, lol', but rather than letting on that Cena's victory was down to non-existent skills, they simply both embraced the Golden Era-esque mythology of the match. It was like Hogan vs Warrior, in a way (albeit with a more clear heel). Two wrestlers who didn't have all that great matches together, but they didn't need to, because the mythology value worked well enough.

I think that (seeing as Vince won't ever consider letting go of him) Cena should have been a mythological character. If they embraced his 'never give up' nonsense and made him a demigod or something mad like that, he would still be out of date, but more charming and likeable to the fans. Ah, well. Never gonna happen. Anyways, point is that Wyatt's so creepy, I actually believed for a second that he was going to win.

... Hell, name one other wrestler who managed to avoid getting ruined by Cena. Just one.

Sephzilla

The writers like Bray, Vince likes Bray, Hunter like Brays. Just because he's been given shitty feuds that have hurt his momentum, they still like him. Because EVERYONE has had their momentum hurt except for maybe Rollins(which is just a matter of time before that happens). He works well for them, and I definitely think they value him highly in their roster.

When a guy like Jake The Snake says 'He reminds me of me', that says a lot. Especially to me.

I'll throw this out there since it seems like Rollins/Cena's conflict is over. Rollins is shaping up to be another one of the rare few who have gone through a John Cena feud and not ended up being ruined afterwards. In fact Rollins came out looking stronger.

Sadly I think he's being set up to be food for Roman

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They fucked that stable up so bad, didn't even make Harper & Rowan tag champs in their run.

I thought when they were all in the ring at the Rumble they were reuniting to help Bray and lost my shit. Obviously things didn't go that way.

The Family Reunion at the Rumble was done so poorly I thought it might have been a botch. Harper and Rowan clearly appear to be teaming up against Bray with Cole backing this up on the mic, but then for no apparent reason Harper and Rowan start hitting each other.

The biggest problem is if you're going to split up the Wyatt family of redneck cultists, you have to make them very clearly not doing that after they leave. They're just the same guys doing the same gimmick except not in a stable and one of them is a face for no real reason other than he thinks Renee is hot and John Cena told him to be a face.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I actually think Rowan has a wayyy better look than Harper. Harper just doesn't have enough mass. Rowan really does look like some kind of Hills Have Eyes monster, acts like it too. He's one of the few legit big dudes WWE has right now too that isn't 86 year olds.

One thing I always liked about WCW, and it kind of went away in the Russo years despite it being his goal to do it even better, and I give him credit for trying.

Everybody had a spot. Everybody felt like they got enough tv time, enough heat, it felt very, very organized. This is the cruiserweight title, here is the champion, here are the contenders. You didn't see rankings, but you could watch Nitro and kind of figure it out. I was like 8 years old and could figure out, 'Ok, Rey has the title. Psicosis and Ultimo Dragon have been winning a good bit in tag matches and non-cruiserweight matches. They're probably the next contenders.' Not 'ok this guy is getting pushed he's getting a title shot' using kayfabe and thinking about it like it was a sport.

And you had the mentality, 'ok TV champion is below US champion. These are the TV guys, sometimes you can move up to US and if you win a lot and do well, you might do the WCW title.' The TV champion still felt like a big deal because he was still a champion. And like the IC title of yore, you knew it meant there was a chance to have them move on to do greater things. Everyone felt bracketed. You had a nice shot of what your goal was for your favorite guy to be THE champion. Maybe TV title was one title too many, but WCW had such a huge roster that they probably needed that. And it was nice because some of the cruiserweight guys were believeable when it came to a lower tier 'heavyweight' title like the TV. A guy like Finaly could be TV champion, and you wouldn't have any trouble believing it, and it would raise his status. Raven being US champion made Raven look like a big deal because it was a title that guys like DDP and Goldberg wanted or had. 'The rub' if you weel.

WWE went back to Golden Era booking of 'ok main title is champion(usually the same guy who you put on all the posters a la Hogan or Cena) and villain of the week.' But Golden Era had the strongest 'midcard' booking EVER. And it always meant you were just a step or two away from Hogan. WWE doesn't do that. I don't even know who the midcard champion 'brackets' are now. And Attitude Era had the strong main event scene, but everything below it was a complete clusterfuck.

I wish this was an attitude all promotions had

The biggest problem is if you're going to split up the Wyatt family of redneck-True Detective -cultists, you have to make them very clearly not doing that after they leave. They're just the same guys except not in a stable.

Right. Harper is still just some crazy dude which just is in the shadow of Wyatt now. Rowan actually kind of has a compelling story they're almost playing up as the survivor of some cult, but I know that's not intentional or a story they're going to give time to.

Sephzilla

I actually think Rowan has a wayyy better look than Harper. Harper just doesn't have enough mass. Rowan really does look like some kind of Hills Have Eyes monster, acts like it too. He's one of the few legit big dudes WWE has right now too that isn't 86 year olds.

This will sound weird but Rowan looks too "clean" to be an intimidating Hills Have Eyes type beast. Like, he looks clean/showered and shit when he shows up. Harper looks like he just got done wrestling a fucking boar.

What if a legend went into business for himself to get Bryan over...

Rock being the voice of the people , displeased with the people's cries being ignored decides to dust off the Hollywood Rock gimmick and put Bryan over at Wrestlemania.

Rock vs Bryan would be fucking amazing. No doubt.

XenoRaven

I never understand the complaints about Bray doing events and signings. He's not the Undertaker. He's a fucking cult leader. He wants to appear human, he wants people to come to his signings, he wants 'fans' because 'fans' are more followers. It's ingenius and it's the perfect gimmick to work with Cena because they can, and have, play thee angle that Bray is brainwashing the fans. It's the only gimmick that has ever made Cena being booed make sense.
I've been thinking about this lately. I was thinking about how Zayn and Neville could get the opportunity to put on a match like they had at (R)Evolution on the main roster. The conclusion I came to was that they probably couldn't, unless they were in the main event, which probably won't happen. They don't give their midcard time to breathe because their events are booked like variety shows instead of wrestling shows. There's all this external stuff they consider like merch sales and Total Divas and yadda yadda whatever.

A lot of people say the IC title doesn't matter because it gets passed around so much. But that seems like only half the problem. If they gave every IC title match at least 20 minutes on each PPV, it would do wonders for the belt. If a feud ending match got more than 8 minutes on RAW with a commercial break in the middle, then maybe people would care more about the guys coming out of the feud. I supposed this would involve fewer matches on the card overall and less variety bullshit which is obviously impossible, but it would do wonders for the under card.

Rowan's look is great. I remember being impressed by how threatening he looked back when I saw him debut in NXT. He could be a good monster heel if booked well, and he's okay enough in the ring too

Harper looks kinda goofy when making "crazed out" faces but otherwise he fits the bill too and makes up for it with being a great wrestler. Rofl, why'd WWE break them up again, they pretty much perfectly complement each other

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Harper basically should have been paying tribute to Bray every time he won a match. A 'did I impress you, dad?' thing until he's away from him long enough that he can drift into his own character. Something where the lack of Bray's approval makes him aimless and causes him to just constantly want to fight everyone because he wouldn't know what to do without direction.

WWE Creative clearly doesn't know the after effects of brainwashing.

and I'd just book Rowan like Kamala since he's the silent giant type.

Hasney

WWE had it during the Attitude era and lost it afterwards.

Yup, after the brand split especially, it slowly got eroded. Smackdown under Heyman had it in spades, but it eventually followed Raw. Around the time Batista won the Rumble, that was it. If you weren't either in the main event or on the precipice, you barely had anything.

As for Russo, I still think his first run in WCW was good. At the very least, it was better than the WCW he took over.

Ric Flair

Banned
Just watched the RR, what do you guys think was going through Rocks head at the end there while he held Romans hand up? Also, felt bad for Roman. It's not his fault they decided to ram him down people's throats

Angry Grimace

Right. Harper is still just some crazy dude which just is in the shadow of Wyatt now. Rowan actually kind of has a compelling story they're almost playing up as the survivor of some cult, but I know that's not intentional or a story they're going to give time to.

As far as I can tell Rowan doesn't do anything other than be a midcard worker that's on a vaguely higher level than the New Day (e.g. he's "involved" in it, but he's not doing anything beyond being present).

Harper being a friend of the Authority makes no sense either. Having Rowan leave the cult is fine, but why is Harper on his own, doing the same cultist gimmick, but without the cult leader? And if you're going to have one of the cultists leave the fucking cult, the super obvious feud is with the cult leader. Instead, he's telling Renee she's pretty and being a random Dragon for John Cena at Survivor Series because he doesn't like the authority because reasons

Mahonay

Banned
"Fans have to realize that as opinionated as they are and the way you want it, the company is the same way and they are gonna do what they wanna do...hopefully, at the end of the day, I'm the one getting rich."
When I read this today, and heard from Wade Keller that Reigns has been acting like he has it made, I quickly stopped feeling any sympathy. I hope he gets booed into oblivion on Thursday.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I think that once they bring up the NXT wrestlers, the brand split should be re-instituted. But instead of Smackdown vs RAW, it should alternating weeks. So Brand A gets RAW & SD one week, Brand B gets RAW & SD the other week. Keeps people fresh and rested, and doesn't overexpose them.

I was disappointed to see how cookie cutter Rowan's promos have been - the creepiest thing about him is the mask, but as soon as he takes it off and starts articulating like a normal human being the effect wears off. He should be like Festus, but menacing and psychotic instead of just plain idiotic.

kirblar

I think that once they bring up the NXT wrestlers, the brand split should be re-instituted. But instead of Smackdown vs RAW, it should alternating weeks. So Brand A gets RAW & SD one week, Brand B gets RAW & SD the other week. Keeps people fresh and rested, and doesn't overexpose them.
"Brand Split" just doesn't work.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Attitude Era definitely did not have meaning behind the titles. They were as they are now, a title to attach to meaningless matches prior to the main event that everyone came to see. The IC, European champions got bigger pops back then but that's because it was the Attitude Era and EVERYONE got bigger pops back then.

WWF title was the only title anyone cared about in the Attitude Era. Everything else was filler by that point. It's not like Undertaker and Kane were vying for the IC title to get to Austin with the WWF title. They just went straight to the WWF title.

Top Bottom