• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

I watched the Roman Reigns interview again, and deep down I thought 'You know, if WWE were smart this is the ideal setup to turn him heel'. I know that's unlikely, but there's so many nods and confirmation that YES he IS handpicked by the WWE to be the guy. Just make him the Corporate Chump and really drive it home that yes, this is the guy we want and we made him a star.

Basically everything Daniel Bryan isn't without directly saying that.

Roman Reigns is literally Seth Rollins.

Would nXt's "more wrestling focused/less sports entertainment nonsense" approach work on a grander scale for the WWE?

Vince's WWF has always had soap opera elements, but I think the culture in the late '90s was the right time for more sports entertainment nonsense.

But nowadays, I think they should try to follow nXt and see if they could win back some of the fans who bailed out for UFC.

If CM Punk's Ultimate fight is in town here, which is semi-likely as far as timing goes, a friend has to dress in full Cena gear (Jorts, wristbands, hat, and shirt) due to losing a Rumble bet. Should be a good time

Cagey

Banned
Damien_sandow_shirt.jpg

All I have left. One of the best in the past few years.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Perhaps, but Reigns is LEGIT that guy. So why not use it.

The only things Reigns has in the "Vince McMahon's vision of Wrestling" department that Rollins doesn't have is being related to the Rock and not being Hispanic in any way.

Rollins isn't really hispanic, he just has an acquired Hispanic last name

Ithil

Would nXt's "more wrestling focused/less sports entertainment nonsense" approach work on a grander scale for the WWE?

Vince's WWF has always had soap opera elements, but I think the culture in the late '90s was the right time for more sports entertainment nonsense.

But nowadays, I think they should try to follow nXt and see if they could win back some of the fans who bailed out for UFC.

Of course. Not exactly transferred, now, but the general approach of protecting titles and champions, giving everyone a distinct character and freedom with said character, planning out stories and angles and keeping booking simple and fairly logical, those are the qualities that would improve the main roster shows.

You wouldn't literally do the same thing, it's the philosophy behind it that works. Accentuate the strengths, hide the weaknesses.

XenoRaven

I want a Suzuki-gun shirt but they don't have them on that site with all the NJPW merch on it. There was a cool Suzuki shirt where it had his hair on a skull but those are sold out.

Ideally, I would love a wrestling promotion with more of a sports like focus. This doesn't mean a lack of storylines or characters, but just something more legit. A tale of the tape before every match. Promos done almost exclusively backstage unless right after a big win. How you do while you're a mid tier champion decides if you move on to a world title. Weight divisions. Different championships headline their own ppvs. Big tournaments to pick a no.1 contender for different titles. Contract signings that are used as hype and trash talk instead of an excuse for a really long brawl.

Ideally, I would love a wrestling promotion with more of a sports like focus. This doesn't mean a lack of storylines or characters, but just something more legit. A tale of the tape before every match. Promos done almost exclusively backstage unless right after a big win. How you do while you're a mid tier champion decides if you move on to a world title. Weight divisions. Different championships headline their own ppvs. Big tournaments to pick a no.1 contender for different titles. Contract signings that are used as hype and trash talk instead of an excuse for a really long brawl.

new-japan-pro-wrestling-njpw-logo.jpg

XenoRaven

New Japan has a lot of this. They also used to have championship ceremonies each time the IWGP Heavyweight title was either won or successfully defended. The person who won, in addition to having/keeping the title would also get a trophy and a certificate presented to them and then they would take pictures with some important looking people that I didn't know because I don't speak Japanese. I don't think they do those as often or at all anymore.

imBask

Banned
I just started watching NXT and I can't get his theme song out of my head. I love Balor's theme too.

Also, Enzo and Big Cass are fucking great. Love them. SAWFT.

if me and big cass had a dime for everytime we got beat up in school, we'd have... ZERO DIMES HOW U DOIN

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I remember when Gorilla Monsoon would refer to the "Winner's Purse" being on the line for various matches.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
AJPW 1987 Battle Royal

This is a fun match just to play 'spot the star.' So far I've seen Jumbo, Curt Hennig, Riki Choshu, Misawa(Tiger Mask), Tenryu(who just sort of waits while Jumbo kills everyone around him) and I think I saw Johnny Ace? Masa Saito, I think?

New Japan has a lot of this. They also used to have championship ceremonies each time the IWGP Heavyweight title was either won or successfully defended. The person who won, in addition to having/keeping the title would also get a trophy and a certificate presented to them and then they would take pictures with some important looking people that I didn't know because I don't speak Japanese. I don't think they do those as often or at all anymore.

Well yeah I know it's the japanese wrestling way which is why I like it so much. I would just like an american version because there are american wrestlers I like and no language barrier.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, Regal did it on NXT at first too.

I get that they've given up on maintaining the traditional illusion that its real, but the soap opera elements are too much of the show at this point.

Am I the only one who can also see an amazing heel in Sami Zayn as well. His mic skills are above average enough to do it well. That's because I can't really see anything he can't do to be honest.

9nKqxh8.jpg

Pretty good screencap promo from Ziggler on Twitter.

Him and Bryan would be amazing no doubt, but it would be such a fall from grace for Bryan. Better than Sheamus, but it's not Brock or Rollins.

jred2k

This Eddie shirt is pretty good

http://www.prowrestlingtees.com/guerrero-sriracha.html

Kind of tired of everyone having their own bullet club rip off shirt

Nearly every indie wreslter's tshirts are just rip-offs of a popular shirt that came before them. Browsing through prowrestlingtees.com it amazes me that they don't get hit with a bunch of copyright violations. Candice LeRae and Joey Ryan are probably the worst offenders.

Scottify

Those of you that subscribe to NJPW's streaming service, does the lack of English commentary turn you off or do you find the product better for it? I ask because I'm interested in it but wonder if I'll lose a lot of the match impact due to the commentary.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
NJPW should fund an anime. I'd watch pro wrestling Ippo.

It'd be moe garbage version of all your favorite wrestlers going by most modern anime
Those of you that subscribe to NJPW's streaming service, does the lack of English commentary turn you off or do you find the product better for it? I ask because I'm interested in it but wonder if I'll lose a lot of the match impact due to the commentary.

Doesn't affect me one way or the other

Alucard

Banned

Sounds like ROH might be for you, friend.

Mark-Briscoe-vs.-Roderick-Strong.jpg

roh-072614-jay-lethal.jpg

roh-072614-golden-gauntlet.jpg

New Japan is probably the better option with the reporters and sports feel, though.

Alucard

Banned

Nah. Good action is good action. It helps if you do some side reading about some of the matches, though.

XenoRaven

I've come to enjoy the Japanese commentary just because of how outrageous it is. You can hear the excitement and emotion even without understanding what's being said. You also get great moments like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk21JebXL6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRClRfv4HE

Hex

Banned

There is nothing like the NJPW commentary.
The excitement is infectious.

Scottify

I've come to enjoy the Japanese commentary just because of how outrageous it is. You can hear the excitement and emotion even without understanding what's being said. You also get great moments like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk21JebXL6M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRClRfv4HE

That was excellent, thanks for sharing those. Just those two commentaries alone will probably sway me.

The only Japanese wrestling I'm familiar with were some old VHS tapes of Misawa, the wrestler whose finishing move was the Burning Hammer (Kobashi?) and some death match barbed wire stuff.

Top Bottom