• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Qd3KLI5.png

Ziggler-Bryan is a fucking travesty.
If by travesty then you mean guaranteed to be one of the best matches on the card, then yeah it's a total fucking disaster.

Kaladin

I like the idea of Bryan vs Ziggler in the mid-card at Mania. Those two on the big stage can steal the show if they're given 15 - 20 minutes in the ring.

Ravager61

I'm sure Ziggler-Bryan will be entertaining for what it is but there's no payoff for any fan associated with that match. First off, I can guarantee they go on low in the card and get less than 10 minutes. Second, they could absolutely murder each other and put on the match of the century and it won't mean shit in the eyes of Vince and co.

Wrestling is all about payoffs. For Ziggler and Bryan, there will never be big payoff while certain people are making the decisions.

Pavaloo

Bryan. He's said exactly that in many interviews.

Sure, "I'm not in this for the money, I want to be the best wrestler ever." But this dude already got his mania paycheck, sells out merchandise, and total divas revenue. Have you seen the guys house? Plus Brie Bella brings in more than enough bacon on her own.

Guaranteed Reigns doesn't make nearly as much money. Guy already has kids too to provide for. What I took from it is "Vince do as Vince does - I just hope I can benefit from being on his good side." Who wouldn't take that opportunity handed to them? Any wrestler that was offered it would most likely jump for it.

I don't agree with his whole "you can't critique if you don't do it," but a lot of the other things he says line up with the exact same things Punk, Cena, Austin, etc. say. Stuff like "if you want me to be irrelevant, stop talking about me" and "A reaction negative or positive is a reaction in itself."

Fox318

If by travesty then you mean guaranteed to be one of the best matches on the card, then yeah it's a total fucking disaster.

Does that help Ziggler? Who gets over? You really going to turn Ziggler heel after this run he is having?

You sacrifice Ziggler so your pretty boy gets his bork match.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bryan vs Ziggler is the definition of filler. You can't compare it to stuff like Kurt vs Shawn of 'who's the best wrestler' because nobody thinks Dolph Ziggler is the best. Nobody.

Some of you guys are too down on DBvsDZ. I mean, yeah, in a perfect world we'd have Bryan going after the title, but I honestly can't think of a better Plan B. There's not even an outside chance that they won't steal the show. It's the guaranteed match of the night, maybe even the year.

Admittedly, I'm biased. Ziggler and Bryan are my number one and number two.

EDIT: Also, they have two months to book this feud, whatever form it takes. All the talk about "no stakes" is a little premature.

Bryan's campaigning for it on Twitter now too.

That's such a bad look, especially if it's true that management is for it now. Just let it play out on TV.

Lrrr

A Bryan vs Ziggler match would be amazing if there was a story and reason for it - like it'll determine who's going to be the new #1 contender post-mania. If they're thrown together with nothing to further the story, then it's an utter waste.

That's such a bad look, especially if it's true that management is for it now. Just let it play out on TV.

Because Bryan knows there's nothing better for him going into Mania. It's better for him to have a chance at a 5-star match with DZ (which could possibly steal the show) than to fight Sheamus, Kane or Big Show.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How come when The Shield broke up Roman was all 'the lone wolf' 'I march on my own' 'I was betrayed so i'm brooding and solo'

and now he's all MAH FAMILY CUZ

Cagey

Banned
A Bryan vs Ziggler match would be amazing if there was a story and reason for it - like it'll determine who's going to be the new #1 contender post-mania. If they're thrown together with nothing to further the story, then it's an utter waste.
I like the idea of Ziggler and Bryan being a number one contenders match. Otherwise it might as well be another no stakes wrestling spot showcase at a ROH iPPV.

Fox318

Bryan would be better off facing BNB or somebody who can be a credible heel.

Bryan Undertaker should be the match.

Bray would have made sense last year.

Ravager61

Some of you guys are too down on DBvsDZ. I mean, yeah, in a perfect world we'd have Bryan going after the title, but I honestly can't think of a better Plan B. There's not even an outside chance that they won't steal the show. It's the guaranteed match of the night, maybe even the year.

Admittedly, I'm biased. Ziggler and Bryan are my number one and number two.

I just think the match reeks of "this will shut IWC up".

I agree the match has potential to be super entertaining but it leads nowhere important. I love an entertaining match as much as the next guy but the big payoffs are what wrestling fans keep watching for. We got that moment last year but it feels hollow after Bryan didn't get a title run.

Vestal

If they can twist this to a workable script in which its the best two Workers in the Company, the ones that the Authority doesn't want near the title. Market the match as the REAL Championship match and put it on right before Lesnar vs Reigns.

The PEOPLES Match vs The Authority Match.

Fuck it thrown in Rollins and Orton and make it a 4 way for Rollins Briefcase!

When Brock leaves I want them to bring back the brand extension and give Smack down back to Heyman with Bryan as the face of the show. In this perfect world I also want the creative team from Evolve to takeover the book in TNA and unsuck that company finally.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
In a perfect world, they would've booked Bryan and Ziggler properly throughout the years, and a match between those two at Mania would seem like the sickest match imaginable. But they haven't booked them properly, and they never will because Vince can't wrap his head around the idea of them being top-level talent.

It should be an insane match if they get a proper amount of time—and that's a big if—but with this match, Bryan has definitively and undeniably been relegated to the midcard, where he'll probably remain.

If they can twist this to a workable script in which its the best two Workers in the Company, the ones that the Authority doesn't want near the title. Market the match as the REAL Championship match and put it on right before Lesnar vs Reigns.

The PEOPLES Match vs The Authority Match.

Fuck it thrown in Rollins and Orton and make it a 4 way for Rollins Briefcase!

Nah, I prefer my idea where they're about to start the match when Kane & The Big Show come out and choke slam them both, then toss 'em out of the building.

They're doing this social media thing with it so they can say "We just listened to what the fans wanted!!!" to distract from the Lesnar match because of course some people are going along with it.

Fox318

In a perfect world, they would've booked Bryan and Ziggler properly throughout the years, and a match between those two at Mania would seem like the sickest match imaginable. But they haven't booked them properly, and they never will because Vince can't wrap his head around the idea of them being top-level talent.

It should be an insane match if they get a proper amount of time—and that's a big if—but with this match, Bryan has definitively and undeniably been relegated to the midcard, where he'll probably remain.

Except its gonna be a 2 minute match that ends in a rollup so Reigns can plug Mattel before his match.

UberTag

I'm sure Ziggler-Bryan will be entertaining for what it is but there's no payoff for any fan associated with that match. First off, I can guarantee they go on low in the card and get less than 10 minutes. Second, they could absolutely murder each other and put on the match of the century and it won't mean shit in the eyes of Vince and co.

Wrestling is all about payoffs. For Ziggler and Bryan, there will never be big payoff while certain people are making the decisions.
Their fault for hitting it big while Vince was alive. If they don't like it they can go to Japan.
And as for their match placement, I can guarantee you they'll be curtain jerking. Will be good to get the Mania crowd off to a hot start.

Man Stardust's theme is so rad

Why does it have to be stuck on a gimmick going nowhere
To be fair, almost every gimmick in the WWE is going nowhere.

I like the idea of Ziggler and Bryan being a number one contenders match. Otherwise it might as well be another no stakes wrestling spot showcase at a ROH iPPV.
That's what it's going to be though. No stakes at all. Just like most everything in the WWE. Including midcard title matches.
Hell, even if it was a #1 contender match, what good would that be? First guy to get demolished in Roman's new dynasty? Might as well be asking for them to get fed to Cena.

Ithil

The campaigning is a storyline. That's the start of your build.
The real insult is Bryan isn't even in the top five matches on the card. He should at least be in a co-main event.

StevieWhite

Wrestlegaffers: Though Strobogo was the only one who ever seemed to care - and he is gone now -

(pause for ten bell salute)

My foray into Fire Pro Wrestling/Japanese Wrestling history continues. If you've got a moment, please check out my ongoing series. I'm at least a good a writer as The Masked Man - that has-been is all washed up. Why don't all you out of shape losers sit down so your women get get a glimpse of a real blog?

http://www.subspacebc.com/?cat=71

DoryFunk.png

Your pal,

Stevie

The campaigning is a storyline. That's the start of your build.
The real insult is Bryan isn't even in the top five matches on the card. He should at least be in a co-main event.

That's an awful storyline and sad.

"We know you want to express outrage, so let's direct it this way instead of that way." The want #DBvsDZ to overtake #CancelWWENetwork

They'll be a co-main event for the sheer fact it's going to be the best match and get the best reaction.

Dolph and DB in some face vs face match at Mania? Hah talk about killing two birds with one stone.

Sure it'll probably be a great match but I personally won't care for it, WWE is gonna treat it like some inconsequential midcard match. And honestly Dolph isn't at that level where I could buy into some "who's the best wrestler type feud".(if they go with that angle)

I can't even really enjoy it because I know what Vince's intentions are with the match, trying to get rid of two thorns in his side.

How Baron Corbin is booked on NXT is exactly how Reigns should be booked on the main roster. Doesn't say much, just goes out and gets shit done. He's not the happy and smiling babyface, he's the guy who could kill you but chooses not to.

kama

Raw goes overboard with the plugging.

NXT doesn't need to advertise anything about the company or brand. It's free of any responsibility to generate revenue. That's why they don't have any extras and put on such a streamlined broadcast. It's easy to say well that's partly why it's better so do that on Raw, but Raw has to engage in massive WWE promotion or else it doesn't get done anywhere.

As far as I'm concerned they can have as many plugs and ads on their shows as they like, that is not the issue. It's the stuff in between, the wrestling and storytelling that is so much worse than what you get on NXT

Guys.....I've figured out why NXT Superstars are bound to fail on the main roster.

NXT is a wrestling show, and the performance center is built to train wrestlers.

WWE isn't a wrestling company, it's an entertainment company.....wrestlers != entertainers.

Yes, I realize how stupid this sounds as I type it.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem if their approach to entertainment wasn't so hoplessly outdated. Everything they do has to be as loud, colorful shrill and exaggerated as possible. When you're watching 2015's Raw you fell like you're watching the PG version of 2002's Raw.

In an age where some dude next door can start a youtube channel and gets a million viewers worldwide they are still trying to sell us comic book characters and 90s action heroes. They have their share of charismatic people on the roster, but instead of amplifying their personalities they keep trying to bend them into something that they aren't and can't convincingly portray. For the product they are trying to put out they shouldn't take wrestlers and teach them how to act, they should take actors and teach them how to wrestle. And hire some decent writers.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Reigns/Lesnar is kind of an improvement over Batista/Orton, at least. Lesnar/Reigns has the potential to be at least a little interesting since Reigns isn't a 46 year old dude who's been in main event level matches for 10 years.

There's still potential for surprise there, while Orton/Batista would've been bootycheeks for sure.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So Sheamus/Bryan is on hold until next year I guess? You can only do that match on the grand stage of Wrestlemania!

According to Meltzer, the big increase in Network subs means that WWE can justify paying Brock more, so the likelihood that he re-signs is much greater now than it was a month or so ago. It's not a guarantee, but it's much more of a possibility.

Cage is going to be WWE soon enough with his look.

Unless they backed off it Lucha Underground was having guys sign multi-year deals preventing them from doing other companies TV. The contract they offered the Young Bucks would have supposedly stopped them from doing New Japan or ROH.

Top Bottom