• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Bryan-into-video-board.gif

I wonder if Bryan's indie career flashed before his eyes as he was slammed into the entrance and WWE's multimillion dollar production crew failed to have it go off at the right time.

He probably thought of a dozen dudes from the indie scene that would have made it go off at the right time.

I fully expect Reigns to come out and save Daniel Bryan from a beatdown tomorrow night. Vince will try to get Bryan's popularity to rub off on his chosen one by associating them together. Instead of actually giving credit to the guy who actually deserves it.

Expect Reigns to be stealing the Yes chant by Fast Lane at latest.

T.A.L

Can't believe y'all cool with Bryan Zig. A match with no stakes. And to those talking about a story will come. This is WWE. They will recap the tweets and that's it. Mean while both men will lose to Roman, Bray, Rusev, and Cena on the road to Wrestlemania. To make the upper card look stronger.

So walk me through this casket match bean, do you think it'll be fun or painful for the wrestlers involved? Should Bryan be looking forward to the event even if he is likely to lose? Will be improve as a wrestler from the experience?

Browny

Banned
Yeah, not the best image to get presented with when going to cancel.

It's pretty shitty advertising anyway - the "no commitment" thing is a decent headline, but the "cancel anytime" part is a negative and thus completely unnecessary. They should be hyping the good parts of the deal, i.e. cheap PPVs.

Radec

I hope California is as ruthless as Philly on Reigns.

Reigns enters = Booo

Brock enters = Cheers

Even if Reigns wins, still booo

Browny

Banned
That's what you get for agreeing to be in Coventry.

It was either Coventry, or watch The Best Of Triple H Promos vol. 1 - 6 promos over 10 hours on 10 DVDs.

I wish they'd bring king of the ring back for a shot at the title at Summerslam.

Would make that part of the year slightly interesting.

This, most definitely. I've been listening to the Attitude Era podcasts (which are rather entertaining), and the first was KotR 1998. It's a great way to push someone from the mid-card up to the main event; they've got nothing to lose. And it seems to work rather well for NJPW (Super Jnrs and G1)...

Alucard

Banned
Your top 5 PS1 games in any order. GO.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Crash Bandicoot 2
Final Fantasy IX

...so hard to choose just 5.

Games I still need to play/finish from that era:

Suikoden 2 (own it)
Alundra (own it)
Chrono Cross (sold it)
Breath of Fire 3 (own it)

Rapstah

For how long have WWE women's battle royals ignored the top rope rule? I feel like there are at least two house show .gifs where Eva Marie fucks up going over the top rope, so did they start doing it recently or are house show women's battle royals booked differently from TV ones?

Kacho

Gold Member

Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Crash Bandicoot 2
Final Fantasy IX

Suikoden 2 (own it)
Alundra (own it)
Chrono Cross (sold it)

Resident Evil 2
Final Fantasy 7
Castlevania SotN
Metal Gear Solid
Rival Schools

Uh, I guess mine would be; Symphony of the Night, Disruptor, Vagrant Story, Breath of Fire III, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Didn't own a PSX until the mini came out, I was more of Saturn/N64 kid. And on that note;

Top 5 N64; Goldeneye, Body Harvest, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, WCW vs nWo Revenge

Top 5 Saturn; Pazer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, Soukyugurentai, Guardian Heroes, Shining Force III

Aiii

So not worth it
For how long have WWE women's battle royals ignored the top rope rule? I feel like there are at least two house show .gifs where Eva Marie fucks up going over the top rope, so did they start doing it recently or are house show women's battle royals booked differently from TV ones?

Been doing it for years, actually. It's because of their size, some of them like AJ, Sasha Banks, Alexa Bliss can barely look over the top rope. So it's insane to expect them to pick up other girls and dunk them over the top rope or do spots where they can hook their arms around the top rope and get clotheslined over them.

Alucard

Banned
Nice PS1 lists. Some interesting choices, like One. Resident Evil 2 and Tekken 3 just missed the cut for me since I'm not sure how much I would enjoy them today. I know I could pick up MGS and SotN and still love 'em just as much today as I did in the last couple of years of the 90s.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eh, it was just OK. The best part was tazing someone until they catch on fire and scream.

Syphon Filter and Legend of Dragoon (especially LoD) always seemed like odd ideas to me. Someone at Sony said, we need MGS and FF VII on our systems, god damn it!

Alucard

Banned
Just realized I've never played Syphon Filter, that's supposed to be good.

I had a ton of fun with the demo and enjoyed the full game well enough. However, I went back to it a few years ago and it was hard to get into the tank controls for your character again. There's a strange "weight" to the guy you control. Still worth trying at least.

jmdajr

Top 5 PS1? Not sure.
But I played these a lot.

FF7
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
Symphony of the Night
Wipeout XL
Crash Bandicoot
Strett Fighter Alpha Series
Rage Racer
Tekken 2
Xenogears
Tomb Raider

dream

I am reminded, Bobo, of that video where Jim Johnston explained how he constructed Big Van Vader's theme based on the way The Mastadon walked, wanting to create a song that encapsulated the gravity and threat of Vader's entrance to the squared circle. It was thoughtful and showed how entrance themes contribute to the character.

Today, everything is homogenized heavy metal bullshit that has nothing at all to do with the characters. Why did Miz come to play? Why do we have to get down on our knees to pray? How is Dean Ambrose's white people music guitar riff different from Seth Rollins's white people music guitar riff? I think we're at a point when everyone agrees that Bray Wyatt is a terrible wrestler with a fantastic entrance, and I would argue that his entrance only got over because his theme actually works, making him stand out from the homogeneity of the WWE roster.

This is such a terrible product. Why do you guys watch this shit

imBask

Banned

Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid
Crash Bandicoot 2
Final Fantasy IX

Suikoden 2 (own it)
Alundra (own it)
Chrono Cross (sold it)

never had a PS1 because I was a cool nintendo kid

1-OoT
2-Mario 64
3-THPS2 (but it was WAY better on the dreamcast)
4-Goldeneye
5-Diddy Kong Racing

kiguel182

NXT NXT NXT:

- Things started weird this episode. I have no idea why they had the other dudes win the tag belts. I don't even know their names. Match was regular I think but that victory made no sense. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt to see where this is going but it was weird nonetheless.

- Tyson vs Neville was fucking great. Both guys are amazing and the match delivered. Tons of great spots, great storytelling and great pacing. Commentary really helped put those guys over too. Tyson Kidd is treated like crap on the main roster but here he is always an highlight. #fact

- Women's tag bout: It's great to see how many different sides and stories are to this feud. Bailey and Charlotte are the main attraction and the end of the match solidified that. Bailey seemed to have a little of ring rust but that's normal I guess. Overall, it was a good way to advance the story and build up to the PPV.

- Corbin vs fat dude: I like Baron Corbin. He has a great look, great entrance and presence. I guess the only problem I have is that he isn't an heel. Because a face that destroys everything just isn't fun. I think he could work really well as this unstoppable force that will oppose an underdog fan favourite like, say, Itami. I would love for him to destroy Neville and then go on to the final and barely lose to Itamo or Balor. But he seems to be a face so that won't happen quite like that. Still, I like the dude. Bull Dempsey looks like a third grade villain that could be well used as a lower card heel that gets some build up and then gets destroyed by the faces. Pretty much what he is doing right now.

- Emma is back! I love Emma and she isn't used on Raw so this will be pretty great. Welcome home Emma.

- Contract signing was good. Nothing amazing but it was tense and subtle and they pulled that of well. Owens just gives no fucks about Sami while Zayn is taking this really personal. It's a good story and the match will, of course, be amazing. Regal here showed how an authority figure should be booked, really great job.

Also, someone was talking the other day how people should watch a promotion that would give them what they want and, for me, that's NXT. It has all the best parts of the WWE (except for the big crowds) without all the bad ones. It's a shame it's still not it's own product but it's no doubt a great one.

That will definitely happen unless they change things and put him in the match. I'm going to try to watch Smackdown to see the crowd hijack the show.

By him do you mean Rollins? Because they're never having Bryan main event another Mania no matter how much chants he gets. This ain't 2014, this ain't a 100% healthy guy, and this ain't a guy the company has any confidence in as a main eventer. If the Rumble didn't convince you of that, nothing will, yet you'll still be surprised when it doesn't happen. No use pretending anymore, friend.

Sephzilla

I am reminded, Bobo, of that video where Jim Johnston explained how he constructed Big Van Vader's theme based on the way The Mastadon walked, wanting to create a song that encapsulated the gravity and threat of Vader's entrance to the squared circle. It was thoughtful and showed how entrance themes contribute to the character.

Today, everything is homogenized heavy metal bullshit that has nothing at all to do with the characters. Why did Miz come to play? Why do we have to get down on our knees to pray? How is Dean Ambrose's white people music guitar riff different from Seth Rollins's white people music guitar riff? I think we're at a point when everyone agrees that Bray Wyatt is a terrible wrestler with a fantastic entrance, and I would argue that his entrance only got over because his theme actually works, making him stand out from the homogeneity of the WWE roster.

No, not everyone agrees on this

RP912

Banned

Stockholm Syndrome until I realize there's options out there. As far as theme music is concern. Nowadays it's all about generic buttrock instead of a theme complimenting a wrestler. Back in the days, gimmicks needed a compliment. Now it's all about reality and trying to be down to earth by having the shittiest themes that doesn't do a wrestler any type of justice. Take Cesaro for instance...dude is a beast and comes out with the worst fucking theme to hit Titan Towers. It's better he comes out in silence over whatever the hell his theme is. Ambrose theme actually suits his lunatic gimmick because the riffs sounds like the riffs from the movie Fallen Down. Other than that...it's just a mess in the WWE and it's better now then never to stop supporting that brand until they get their shit together.

Also Bray is far from a terrible wrestler when he can put on top quality matches and tell a story in the ring .

imBask

Banned
I really like Corbin's presence but... I still don't know if he knows any other moves other than his finisher. Also his 1 line promo backstage after his match made me cringe. Also he needs a beard, he looks like an overgrown teenager

Sephzilla

I really like Corbin's presence but... I still don't know if he knows any other moves other than his finisher. Also his 1 line promo backstage after his match made me cringe. Also he needs a beard, he looks like an overgrown teenager

Corbin looking like an overgrown teen is pretty spot on. He needs to get the full beard going. I still say he needs to cut his hair though, his Hogan bald spot seems like it's getting more obvious week after week.

scabro

he cant grow a good beard and he probably looks like a bigger goober clean shaven

i dont think hes bad though, decent prescense

kiguel182

Corbin would be better off not speaking. His presence pretty much speaks for himself.

Top Bottom