• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Cagey

Banned
The good thing about Cena's fans is they don't sh*t on other Superstar's matches or big moments.

I think bean is booked as a WrassleGAF heel, but he comes off as a face to me.

7f4579e32ae63d398f7ec402abc949d0.jpg

That beings said, Royal Rumble was bullshit.

It's the adult version of Cena, where Cena defines Good and to his young fans, anyone who goes against Cena (no matter alignment) must be Not Good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder what the people from the 1970s era of Wrestling would think if they were told Wrestling was super popular, but everyone knows its fake and one of the primary draws is the perception of backstage politics.

Yeah, fuck those people that want the wrestlers they like to succeed. Bunch of millennials.

Wrestling is not real. The championship doesn't mean anything.

Sephzilla

I wonder what the people from the 1970s era of Wrestling would think if they were told Wrestling was super popular, but everyone knows its fake and one of the primary draws is the perception of backstage politics.

Wrestling is not real.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people knew it was fake even back then. The only difference between then and now was kayfabe, and the internet.

Kaladin

All I want is Daniel Bryan to have that one match that is considered a Wrestlemania classic that I know he can have.

He hasn't had it yet, even after last year.

Would the Daniel Bryan fans be satiated by him putting on entertaining matches alone? I have my doubts, jmdajr. Something tells me that they want him to have the shiniest gold belt and be the center of attention, too. Which is odd, considering they're driven by the priniciple that the wrestling should matter more than anything.

Heel, you are absolutely right.

Sephzilla

All I want is Daniel Bryan to have that one match that is considered a Wrestlemania classic that I know he can have.

He hasn't had it yet, even after last year.

His match against HHH was definitely a classic. What people want is to see Bryan get the proper WrestleMania push that he deserves (aka, the one Roman is getting) where he wins the Rumble, goes on to win the belt at Mania, holds the belt for a nice multi-month reign, and then everything is good. Anyone who thinks Bryan doesn't deserve that is delusional.

kiguel182

Wrestling is not real. The championship doesn't mean anything.

What? Position on the card matters obviously.

Will booing Kofi Kingston and Big E during the Royal Rumble help Daniel Bryan achieve success?

Last year it did.

There are many problems in WWE and everyone is just honing in on the part that annoys them the most without much consideration for the bigger picture. Can't we all just get along for $9.99 a month?

jmdajr

His match against HHH was definitely a classic. What people want is to see Bryan get the proper WrestleMania push that he deserves (aka, the one Roman is getting) where he wins the Rumble, goes on to win the belt at Mania, holds the belt for a nice multi-month reign, and then everything is good. Anyone who thinks Bryan doesn't deserve that is delusional.

I think even Roman Reigns fans would be satisfied with this.

kiguel182

I love this idea that not liking something and wanting things makes someone entitled.

In general entitled has lost all his meaning in these boards.

Heel

I'm of the opinion that The Yes Movement doesn't realize that Daniel Bryan being short-changed is a fulcrum to his popularity as a professional wrestler, and the WWE is now driving that by design. By not giving you what you want, you continue to watch. A carny ploy, if you will.

Cagey

Banned
What? Position on the card matters obviously.

It shouldn't matter to the fans, but the (pick the damn label you choose for us/Philly crowd/etc.) fans take a silly interest in the backstage theatrics and fourth-wall breaking meta nonsense that they're convinced it's what they should care about, rather than what happens in storylines or winners and losers. They've redefined what's winning and losing to be how they perceive the WWE to value wrestlers for spots on the card and pushes and whatever.

Do they care about the actual product of pro wrasslin as much? Or do they think that backstage meta shit IS the product?

A little ignorance can be very blissful.

He had his chance at that, and blew it by getting injured. Not Vince's fault Bryan wasted a decade killing himself on the indies.

jmdajr

It shouldn't matter to the fans, but the (pick the damn label you choose for us/Philly crowd/etc.) fans take a silly interest in the backstage theatrics and fourth-wall breaking meta nonsense that they're convinced it's what they should care about.

My coworker is a big WWE fan and knows nothing about backstage politics. I was curious to see his reaction after the Rumble and he was basically like...

"Reigns sure showed Big Show and Kane who's boss!"

kiguel182

It shouldn't matter to the fans, but the (pick the damn label you choose for us/Philly crowd/etc.) fans take a silly interest in the backstage theatrics and fourth-wall breaking meta nonsense that they're convinced it's what they should care about.

Without position on the card what does it matter in wrestling? Flashy moves?

Because there are barely stories right now. A wrestler wins when he moves up the card.

Honestly half the reason I like wrestling is because behind all the scripted stuff the things that happen in the ring have real consequences.

Cagey

Banned
My coworker is a big WWE fan and knows nothing about backstage politics. I was curious to see his reaction after the Rumble and he was basically like...

"Reigns sure showed Big Show and Kane who's boss!"

Man, I bet he has a hell of a lot more fun than any of us do watching wrestling, because to him it's still real: as in, it's still a real television show.

Heel

It shouldn't matter to the fans, but the (pick the damn label you choose for us/Philly crowd/etc.) fans take a silly interest in the backstage theatrics and fourth-wall breaking meta nonsense that they're convinced it's what they should care about, rather than what happens in storylines or winners and losers. They've redefined what's winning and losing to be how they perceive the WWE to value wrestlers for spots on the card and pushes and whatever.

Do they care about the actual product of pro wrasslin as much? Or do they think that backstage meta shit IS the product?

ZBtpUIH.gif

It struck me today where WWE and Vince have gone wrong in a lot of ways.

Hardcore fans don't trust Vince to make the right choice for them anymore. So when it becomes obvious that someone is a Vince pick, they have to prove they are worth caring about as much as the people the fans like.

Not that it's always the case but it makes sense to me.

Austin even said it in his podcasts over the past few days. Until you've "paid your dues" to the fans in a sense, it's hard to make it work as a top act.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Ziggler/Bryan sounds like a pretty fun match, which a lot of people will hate for not being Bryan/Lesnar, despite the fact I can't imagine Bryan/Lesnar would be a better match.

By that logic shouldn't Roman's push be stopped because his momentum got stopped by a hernia?

Cause an injury always stops a person's momentum.

*cough*Hunter*cough*
*cough*Austin*cough*
*cough*Cena*cough*

*dies of black lung.

None of these guys got injured (along with leaving for weeks due to family issues and getting married) when they first were given the ball. That's what Daniel-stand don't get it.

Sephzilla

None of these guys got injured (along with leaving for weeks due to family issues and getting married) when they first were given the ball. That's what Daniel-stand don't get it.

Austin got his neck broken when he was given the IC title (for clarification - the IC title still meant a lot back then)

All I'll say is this:

You want Daniel Bryan to have a main event spot on a live show?

Well he's got one. Tonight. He'll be facing Kane in a Casket Match.

Now we'll all see just how good he really is.

Tonight is our Wrestlemania.

Top Bottom