• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

JavyOO7

Also worth pointing out; the original Wrestlemania 8 main event was Hogan vs Flair.

If they changed -that-, nothing is safe. Last year should be a testament to that. Whether they do anything, though..

Very silly not to have that match at that juncture. But apparently Vince wasn't happy with how their matches played out in house shows.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
¡HarlequinPanic!;149813075 said:
Hey, do any wrasslegaffers live in chicago?

I've been getting a few offers to relocate out there. I'm sure its cheaper than NYC by a long shot but any other thoughts?

Do you hang out with CM Punk?

Join us in the second city friend. I don't hang out with Punk but I am sure to call him Phil whenever I see him at a Blackhawks game.

Kacho

Gold Member
Didn't he say he'd be willing to work more dates so long as they paid him.

Be crazy not to sign him for at least another year. The only choice is to have Brock murder everyone for 11 straight PPV's right through the next Mania.

The only reason I think he may go back to UFC is because he came out Sunday in good shape, dude looked beastly.

I'm not sure how reliable Mark Madden is. He seemed to be regurgitating dirt sheet stuff a lot on Jim Ross' podcast the other day. Here's what Madden said:

“One thing I would do if I were WWE is … I don’t know what it would take to keep Brock but I’d pay him. I know for a fact that Brock would be working more now if they just pay him his ‘per date.’ They’ve been hesitant to do that. He’s told them that he would be available for more work if they just paid him the same per date. They need to do that because I think what the Royal Rumble showed is he is by far their most over performer… maybe right there with Daniel Bryan.”

He must be really, really expensive if that's true.

Bowser

I'm not sure how reliable Mark Madden is. He seemed to be regurgitating dirt sheet stuff a lot on Jim Ross' podcast the other day. Here's what Madden said:

He must be really, really expensive if that's true.

I thought I read somewhere his contract was $5m for something like 24 dates. That's more than $200k per appearance.

I think we need to gauge crowd reactions in cities that aren't Philadelphia before we start calling Reigns a bust.

Also, didn't Cena get booed when they were pushing him? Doesn't he get booed now and still makes WWE a shit ton of money?

I'm not convinced that just because someone isn't that great doesn't mean that they're not going to end up being successful.

Upcoming cities:
2/2/15 Raw: Denver, CO
2/3/15 SmackDown: Colorado Springs, CO
2/9/15 Raw: Columbus, OH
2/10/15 SmackDown: Dayton, OH
2/16/15 Raw: Orlando, FL
2/17/15 SmackDown: Sunrise, FL
2/22/15 Fast Lane: Memphis, TN
2/23/15 Raw: Nashville, TN
2/24/15 SmackDown: Atlanta, GA
3/2/15 Raw: Newark, NJ
3/3/15 SmackDown: Washington, DC
3/9/15 Raw: Pittsburgh, PA
3/10/15 SmackDown: Detroit, MI
3/16/15 Raw: Des Moines, IA
3/17/15 SmackDown: Kansas City, MO
3/23/15 Raw: Los Angeles, CA

3/29/15 WrestleMania XXXI

I'm not seeing a ton of cities that would openly revolt against Reigns.

Sephzilla

Upcoming cities:
2/22/15 Fast lane: Memphis, TN

Yeah I was looking at this earlier as well, it doesn't seem like there are any smarky cities on the road. So if Roman continues to get booed from here on out, that will really speak for something.

jmdajr

I thought I read somewhere his contract was $5m for something like 24 dates. That's more than $200k per appearance.

Probably worth it. If you compare the PPVs he's on vs not, it's probably a big difference in viewership.

edit: Makes more in a day than Zack Ryder all year!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
great taste in flippers

may i recommend "uhaa nation" and "kota ibushi"
I knew I forgot about Kota Ibushi as a flipper, but it was 4 am so I'll forgive myself. Definitely one of my favorite flippers though I think more of him than that. I'll check out Uhaa.

Yeah I was looking at this earlier as well, it doesn't seem like there are any smarky cities on the road. So if Roman continues to get booed from here on out, that will really speak for something.

The best you can hope for is that Reigns pulls a Kobe in Colorado Springs.

scabro

Bellator and Viacom will give Brock whatever his heart desires

if Vince doesnt put up some serious cash Brock is jumping ship.

although part of me believes that Brock didn't leave the ufc on the terms he would have liked, and probably feels like he has unfinished business if he really is healthy for the first time since he even joined the UFC. Although its hard to tell if all that talk from Heyman about diverticulitis was just a work.

The best you can hope for is that Reigns pulls a Kobe in Colorado Springs.

tKISYSG.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Wrestling logic, man. We know from the territory days that a spike piledriver is like 100x more devastating than a normal one and lucha taught us that more flips = more momentum.
Honestly, ignoring any blind hatred for the Young Bucks that move just does nothing for me and I kinda wish it did. I remember when people first brought it up I was just thinking to myself "that's it?"

Ithil

I think we need to gauge crowd reactions in cities that aren't Philadelphia before we start calling Reigns a bust.

Also, didn't Cena get booed when they were pushing him? Doesn't he get booed now and still makes WWE a shit ton of money?

I'm not convinced that just because someone isn't that great doesn't mean that they're not going to end up being successful.

Well we just got one in Hartford, and Reigns was booed.
And no, Cena wasn't booed during his ascension to the top, he was very over. Once they started watering down his rapper gimmick to being more PG, and making him a superman face, then people got tired of him.

If I was WWE, I'd have pushed Cena back in 2004 too, his reactions warranted it, and they had the brand split back then anyway so they had two top guys between RAW and Smackdown. With Reigns WWE have pretty much decided he's the top guy no matter what, even though nothing indicates audiences think of him that way. Cart before the horse and all that.

Kaiterra

Banned
he is indeed THE guy that'll put Reigns over

Man, I wonder how many times he would have by now if Reigns didn't get that hernia right after that completely pointless L he took on a random Raw for no reason. I really think Seth lucked out there more than anything.

Didn't know that the "Road to ___" NJPW shows were basically house shows. Gonna skip most of the midcard stuff then. The two young lion matches were pretty good though, Jay White and Yohei Komatsu are on track to being solid Jrs

Ithil

Upcoming cities:

You can't really just look at cities and decide whether they will or won't, because he's completely unproven. People seem to just be assigning him the Cena reaction, but Cena is the long time top guy, the reactions to him are predictable because you have ten years of reactions to look at, and they've kept him so stale and static that reactions haven't really changed since like 2006.
Reigns is new and completely unproven, so saying "hardcore crowds will hate him" and "casual crowds will love him" doesn't make sense to me. Given he is new and unproven, the snowball effect will probably be more pronounced.

Sephzilla

Off topic - I'm glad Mortal Kombat 9 was good and Mortal Kombat X looks dope as well. As "filthy casual" as this will make me sound I'm glad we're getting some fighting games that don't require a college semester's worth of analysis in order to be competitive in.

Ithil

It wasn't how their matches played out. Hogan vs Flair didn't draw very well in house shows.

Actually it did, but WWF started the house show touring with that match too early, and kept it going too long. So by the time WM season rolled out, that match was no longer fresh or drawing numbers.

Off topic - I'm glad Mortal Kombat 9 was good and Mortal Kombat X looks dope as well. As "filthy casual" as this will make me sound I'm glad we're getting some fighting games that don't require a college semester's worth of analysis in order to be competitive in.

true that my friend

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Upcoming cities:

I'd imagine Newark and Pittsburgh will destroy him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Well, you won't be competitive.

Just pick your competition wisely. I like my fighting game competition like I like my wrestling. Not concerned about the outcome, keep it fun and playful.

UberTag

Bryan looked rusty or it might just be working with Kane, but either way, it means the only guys they have ready for a WM main event are Brock, Cena, Orton and Rollins. If they don't want to do a triple threat again, make a it a 4 way and throw Bryan in there or even Ambrose. Have it elimination rules, Shield reunite to take out Brock and then we can have a three way to crown the new champ.
They don't even need to announce said match in advance.

Just keep things the way they are now. Have Ambrose in a bunch of comedy skits showing him trekking to WrestleMania for some reason. Have Orton pin Rollins in the match of the night. In the main event, make Roman look ridiculously strong and deliver like 10 superman punches to Lesnar but still lose. The Beast is staggered but still formidable.

As Heyman grabs the mic to crow, cue Ambrose's arrival in some grand ostentatious fashion as the announcers don't know what to make of it. Ambrose grabs an empty seat in the front row, grabs some popcorn and appears enthused to partake in the grandeur that is WrestleMania. Heyman politely tells him that the show's over and that he missed everything. Ambrose replies with, "Oh I don't know about that and reaches into his popcorn bag and grabs a taser which he then chucks into the ring at a recovering Roman Reigns who then lunges with it at Brock and shocks him. Reigns gives a death stare to Heyman who trips over himself as he can't fall out of the ring fast enough. Ambrose grabs his chair, hops over the rail and proceeds to hit Dirty Deeds on Lesnar on top of the chair.

And then we hear Rollins' music play. Out he comes with J&J Security and his briefcase. While he's heading down to ringside, Lesnar begins to rise to his feet and blindly delivers a suplex to Ambrose and then another one to Reigns. Rollins dashes into the ring and hits a curbstomp while J&J detain an apoplectic Heyman. We get the Shield's triple power bomb on top of the chair at which point Rollins cashes in the briefcase, hits the Phoenix splash and we have a new world champion as Sierra-Hotel-India-Echo-Lima-Delta chimes in as the Shield theme plays to close Mania out.

Lesnar leaves. Rollins is champ. Reigns gets his main event. Orton is set up as the clear #1 contender. Everybody wins.

jred2k

Its crazy that they spent a year and half building Roman through the Shield and in one night could have potentially ruined all that work. They seem so desperate to make him a star it makes me wonder if they have concerns about the immediate future of Cena. I think waiting a year or two on Reigns and then letting him be the one that takes out a heel Cena would have been a smarter decision.

Nameless

Love Ambrose and like Reigns when he's not being force fed to me, but the only ex-Shield bro I buy as a legit maineventer right now is Rollins. Ambrose, and especially Roman haven't had the chance to shine at the top of the card consistently -- where as Seth has successfully 'carried the ball' as top heel for months, and is one of the few bright spots of the product week in and week out.

Reigns has done absolutely fuck all as a singles star. Zero notable feuds, no memorable matches, then he spent months on the shelf. Now I'm supposed to buy him waltzing into Mania and beating Brock? Even the Miz was more deserving of his WM ME spot. I honestly feel like Reigns should be battling Rusev or Barrett for a mid-card title going into Mania.

Alucard

Banned
What if we get Roman vs. D-Bry on Raw with his Rumble win on the line? It would be stupid, but this is wrestling and the WWE we're talking about.

Ithil

Love Ambrose and like Reigns when he's not being force fed to me, but the only ex-Shield bro I buy as a legit maineventer right now is Rollins. Ambrose, and especially Roman haven't had the chance to shine at the top of the card consistently -- where as Seth has successfully 'carried the ball' as top heel for months, and is one of the few bright spots of the product week in and week out.

Reigns has done absolutely fuck all as a singles star. Zero notable feuds, no memorable matches, then he spent months on the shelf. Now I'm supposed to buy him waltzing into Mania and beating Brock? Even the Miz was more deserving of his WM ME spot. I honestly feel like Reigns should be battling Rusev or Barrett for a mid-card title going into Mania.

It's reminding me of Cena's "Worst Year Ever" and his "redemption" at WM 29. They basically did none of the story whatsoever and even ignored it until after the Rumble, but then wanted to have the climax/conclusion of the story without doing anything prior.
Here they're pretending Reigns is Austin in 1998, all red hot with the crowd with a long buildup to him getting the top spot, and assuming just doing the crowning at WM part will work for some reason.

This lack of patience and desire for instant gratification. by Vince is almost like a stereotype of a
Millennial

Alucard

Banned
What have you guys been reading or playing lately?

I'm going through Castlevania: Lament of Innocence again. I know a lot of people dislike it, and rightfully so because it has numerous flaws, but I enjoy the music, mood, and how satisfying the whip action feels. Over 56 percent of the map completed. Should get that to at least 70 percent tonight. I have a 100 percent file on my memory card already, but it's been ages and I'm trying to do it without reading up anything on it.

Also reading Daredevil: Marvel Masterworks vol. 2. I'm on like issue 12 or something of the original run. Kind of fun though the overexposition gets in the way sometimes.

Sephzilla

true that my friend

Well, you won't be competitive.

Just pick your competition wisely. I like my fighting game competition like I like my wrestling. Not concerned about the outcome, keep it fun and playful.

I honestly think most Japanese fighters are getting so technical and creating such big skill gaps that it's hurting the online community of them ultimately. Going online in Marvel is a waste of time at this point because the higher level players have scared off all of the mid and low tier players. The same is happening with Street Fighter as well. Stuff like BlazBlue and Guilty Gear are niche fighters already so the only people playing those are the uber hardcore as well.

I just think the slightly lower ceiling of MK and Injustice create a different yet still interesting game to play and watch.

jmdajr

Power Stone should make a comeback. It was simply. It worked. Was fun.

imBask

Banned

I'm going through Castlevania: Lament of Innocence again. I know a lot of people dislike it, and rightfully so because it has numerous flaws, but I enjoy the music, mood, and how satisfying the whip action feels. Over 56 percent of the map completed. Should get that to at least 70 percent tonight. I have a 100 percent file on my memory card already, but it's been ages and I'm trying to do it without reading up anything on it.

Also reading Daredevil: Marvel Masterworks vol. 2. I'm on like issue 12 or something of the original run. Kind of fun though the overexposition gets in the way sometimes.

i'm in my yearly "every game sucks" burnout...

I'm stuck at Solgryn in Boshy and I've played a bit of Dying Light, it's alright I guess

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Oh. Daredevil.

I never did elaborate on my hate list the other day. I hate Daredevil but I really loved the Fall of the Kingpin story. I still think Matt Murdock is bankrupt of all interest and drive. I have no feelings for him, therefore he sucks.

Didn't know that the "Road to ___" NJPW shows were basically house shows. Gonna skip most of the midcard stuff then. The two young lion matches were pretty good though, Jay White and Yohei Komatsu are on track to being solid Jrs

If it's got "Road to..." in the title, just treat it as a house show - the only difference being Monday's show, which is from Korakuen Hall and will have commentary and be filmed with more than just a hard camera. That's the one they'll be using to hype up the New Beginning events, so it should be of a better standard. Also, Korakuen crowds are usually a step above other small venues (although today's crowd in Tokorozawa were louder than I expected).

Kacho

Gold Member

Reigns would be perfect for an IC championship run right about now. Let him earn his stripes there before bumping him up. Shame that won't happen.

Top Bottom