• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Kaladin

Considering I was paying $9.99 per event for indie wrasslin that was on par with the NXT Takeover specials, and the fact that they usually didn't have a regular weekly show to back up these events depending on the company, I consider the Network a steal.

Bonus that I get WWE PPVs included in that price.

Fox318

Imagine if they put a limit on how many times you can cancel and resub.

It wouldn't be a bad thing for them to do financially.

It's not like the Network is a shit deal compared to PPV prices. If I had this when I was younger I would have purchased every PPV with the network instead of only ones that I felt I had to watch.

dream

Yeah, but I don't give a shit about that match. I want the monster Brock vs Daniel Bryan hard hitting shoot style new japan fight.

After watching that pirated New Japan wrestling match, Bobo, I'm starting to realize that it doesn't matter if it's Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins or Santino Marella vs. Dolph Ziggler. You're going to get the same "4 star WWE match"" no matter who you plug in there. Brock is the only person on the roster who is capable of doing something outside of that mold.

In fact, I just saw that Bryan Alvarez wrote an editorial about how stale and homogenized "WWE-style" is:

EVERY WWE MATCH IS EXACTLY THE SAME.

Every WWE match has the same formula. Guys get ring entrances. They get in the ring and the bell rings. Usually the heel does something quick and then the babyface cuts him off and and sends him pillar to post. Then something happens and the heel gets the heat. There is usually some sort of chinlock or, in the case of Rusev, squeezing. Then, after a long rest hold, the babyface makes a big comeback and they trade nearfalls. Then there is usually a FUCKING DISTRACTION FINISH and the match is over.

As a viewer of something like 23 hours of WWE programming in any given month, after a while (like two weeks) it becomes pretty obvious to any regular viewer that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS IN A WWE MATCH UNTIL THE END, and thus attempting to pay attention becomes progressively more difficult.

And there's more. And this one sucks because it's only going to get worse with everyone going through the WWE Performance Center before heading to the main roster.

Not only is every match the same, EVERYONE WRESTLES THE SAME MATCH.

I think it is a testament to how gullible WWE's audience is to be clamoring for X vs. Y when it's all the same in the end.

Limit

Preptime Batman with optimum amount of girth necessary to be difficult in getting thrown off the ropes:

bizarre.jpg~original

More excited about tonight than is sensible. I don't think Reigns is the clear winner. Ambrose is my dark horse.

Also glad to see we have pretty'd this OT2 right up. I'm almost tempted to abandon Graves.

Fox318

WWE just doesn't have the roster size to last with the TV time they need to fill.

It also hurts that they feel the need to keep Cena in the main event spotlight every week.

Kaladin

I think part of the reason NXT works so well is that they don't have the same angle in the main event every week. I love that. Give every angle a chance to feel important.

After watching that pirated New Japan wrestling match, Bobo, I'm starting to realize that it doesn't matter if it's Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins or Santino Marella vs. Dolph Ziggler. You're going to get the same "4 star WWE match"" no matter who you plug in there. Brock is the only person on the roster who is capable of doing something outside of that mold.

In fact, I just saw that Bryan Alvarez wrote an editorial about how stale and homogenized "WWE-style" is:

I think it is a testament to how gullible WWE's audience is to be clamoring for X vs. Y when it's all the same in the end.

This is what happens when you have a farm system and no territories for guys to mold their craft. Then you got the shitty WWE banning moves so you have an offense that is largely the same between guys, since they don't want people doing moves that could cause head or neck injuries. I think Daniel Bryan in a match with Lesnar would change things up as you have two students of the game that dabble in the mixed martial arts training that wouldn't hesitate to throw in a fujiwara armbar or open palmed eye poke.

RBH

The lack of airport pictures in the Royal Rumble thread is disturbing.

Step it up, fellas! This is the single best day out of the entire year to trot out this meme!

dream

This is what happens when you have a farm system and no territories for guys to mold their craft. Then you got the shitty WWE banning moves so you have an offense that is largely the same between guys, since they don't want people doing moves that could cause head or neck injuries. I think Daniel Bryan in a match with Lesnar would change things up as you have two students of the game that dabble in the mixed martial arts training that wouldn't hesitate to throw in a fujiwara armbar or open palmed eye poke.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Really, one of the biggest problems in modern WWE is a certain inherent pussiness to their entire ethos. Let's be as safe as we can because it's all fun and games and nobody should do anything that runs the risk of injury. American pro wrestling has never been more like choreographed ballet than it's ever been.

And that just speaks to the gullibility of WWE's fans. Sometimes I skim through this thread on Tuesday mornings, Bobo, and I see a stream of people marveling at Seth Rollins, not realizing that he is essentially a slightly bigger version of Billy Kidman, and they've been fooled into believing that slightly-above-par is excellence.

Your friend Fox318 is a lunatic, but at least Antonio Cesaro did different things in the ring. And his reward for that was getting released.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What wil Kofi do for his spot this year. Thinking something involving the rosebuds

I'm hoping he tries some crazy spot and someone just pushes him off the chair or whatever other gimmick he's using.

Fox318

Kofi should try winning the Rumble this year.

Then he reveals that A New Day was actually Nation of Domination 2.0 with IRA Shamus in it.

Mahonay

Banned
WWE just doesn't have the roster size to last with the TV time they need to fill.

It also hurts that they feel the need to keep Cena in the main event spotlight every week.
Roster is not the problem, that's a fallacy. They have pretty rich talent at the moment. It's the fact WWE only writes for a very small handful of guys at a time. The rest of the roster gets to job aimlessly. Attitude Era was the best time for the company because from top to bottom everyone in the roster has something going on. Crash fucking Holly was consistently getting huge pops. Many times the wrestling wasn't even very good in the Attitude Era, but it didn't matter since they had you invested in these characters and their story archs. The roster had purpose.

Today, you have a guy like Cesaro getting crickets. WWE is embarrassingly bad at handling the majority of their roster. It's fucked.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Wait a minute, Top 10 tag teams countdown on the WWE network doesn't include Steiner Bros? Am I wrong for being disappointed that they weren't included?

Fox318

Roster is not the problem, that's a fallacy. They have pretty rich talent at the moment. It's the fact WWE only writes for a very small handful of guys at a time. The rest of the roster gets to job aimlessly. Attitude Era was the best time for the company because from top to bottom everyone in the roster has something going on. Crash fucking Holly was consistently getting huge pops. Many times the wrestling wasn't even very good in the Attitude Era, but it didn't matter since they had you invested in these characters and their story archs. The roster had purpose.

Today, you have a guy like Cesaro getting crickets. WWE is embarrassingly bad at handling the majority of their roster. It's fucked.

Cesaro is an example of them fucking things up.

He wrestles one face match and gets a huge pop then they turn him face and make him lose.

They do have the talent on the mens side (Womens side is full of Dunn girls).

WWE is the only place in America where a big black man with muscles like Titus O'neill looks like such a bitch.

Mahonay

Banned
It just means you're a good wrestling fan. Does anyone else remember the Attitude Era? The Attitude Era was so fucking cool
I find it hilarious how much the WWE brags about and brings up the Attitude Era, when in comparison it makes the current product look like half arsed dog shit.

besada

Banned
I've given strobogo and Frecklestein a little vacation. We like to give community threads a little leeway, because in some communities a little slap fighting is part of the culture, and generally community threads are pretty good at self-moderation, because no one wants people shitting where they sleep. But, sometimes things get a little rambunctious, and someone has to go take a nap.

Speaking of the Von Erichs...

I'm an old guy from Texas, and I can tell you that you can't overestimate their star power back in the day. I had the weird fortune to have dinner with Kerry and David, when I was fifteen. My dad had made a bank loan to a restaurant they owned part of, and we all got to sit around the table with 'em. I had several impressions. The first was that they were not very bright. The second was they were fucking enormous in real life. And while David was kind of quiet, Kerry was an animal. Shoveling food into his mouth like a pig. None of which stopped, in the slightest, literally dozens of women from hurling themselves at him. He showed up with two girls in tow as it was, but all night women would come by and basically drop their panties. It was pretty amazing.

Anyway, have fun, be cool.

DiscoJon

Banned
I've given strobogo and Frecklestein a little vacation. We like to give community threads a little leeway, because in some communities a little slap fighting is part of the culture, and generally community threads are pretty good at self-moderation, because no one wants people shitting where they sleep. But, sometimes things get a little rambunctious, and someone has to go take a nap.

qsJq2.gif

Hasney

Speaking of the Von Erichs...

I'm an old guy from Texas, and I can tell you that you can't overestimate their star power back in the day. I had the weird fortune to have dinner with Kerry and David, when I was fifteen. My dad had made a bank loan to a restaurant they owned part of, and we all got to sit around the table with 'em. I had several impressions. The first was that they were not very bright. The second was they were fucking enormous in real life. And while David was kind of quiet, Kerry was an animal. Shoveling food into his mouth like a pig. None of which stopped, in the slightest, literally dozens of women from hurling themselves at him. He showed up with two girls in tow as it was, but all night women would come by and basically drop their panties. It was pretty amazing.

Nice story. Even in promos or David in the WCCW DVD, they did seem a little slow. But then again, they probably knew nothing other than the wrestling business at all and quite frankly, they didn't need to.

Top Bottom