• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

KqcZc.gif

I forgot how devastating a proper 450 could look, especially when executed by a real #Darewolf.

I will not rule this option out yet

PInk Tape

Banned
I can totally see WWE not expecting this to happen because that's just how ass-backward their thinking usually is. I, unfortunately, was optimistic this year.

I mean I can kinda assume what they were thinking since Roman had that huge positive reaction during the rumble last year (unfortunately for Batista) plus he has a fanbase behind him, it wouldn't be as much of a mess as last years. But yeah here we are.

I can't blame you for being optimistic though, I think a lot people were.

This is actually a great point. Bryan has garnered even more sympathy after the rumble.

And if they place him in a shit match with Sheamus at Mania, it will hit the highest point. Dude will be a fucking supernova.

That is crazy to think if they bury bryan on the undercard again at wrestlemania 31 they'll just have to deal with the same problem they have at next year's royal rumble. They could have at least let him reach the final four instead of being eliminated at number eleven.

I do have a solution that might salvage the wrestlemania 31 main event have the authority shoehorn rollins into the mainevent. The guy is a star and deserves the spot. It would at least keep the main event from being booed.

Past

I wonder how The Authority will respond to the crowd on RAW? I mean, they can't do the whole "Aww, did someone not get what they wanted?" promo since Roman Reigns is a face/against the Authority.

Vylash

I wonder how The Authority will respond to the crowd on RAW? I mean, they can't do the whole "Aww, did someone not get what they wanted?" promo since Roman Reigns is a face/against the Authority.

They'll side with the crowd

"see? even the WWE Universe thinks this is wrong!" they'll totally turn the crowd heel

Roman vs The Authority and the WWE Universe, can Roman overcome these odds? Baby Girl, we all know the answer

Roman%20Wink.gif

UberTag

I mean I can kinda assume what they were thinking since Roman had that huge positive reaction during the rumble last year (unfortunately for Batista) plus he has a fanbase behind him, it wouldn't be as much of a mess as last years. But yeah here we are.

I can't blame you for being optimistic though, I think a lot people were.
Some folks in the back clearly didn't recognize that the Reigns chant last year was purely a spite cheer because Big Dave was supposed to win.

It had NOTHING to do with being embraced by the hardcore fan that attends the Rumble and Mania each year.
It had EVERYTHING to do with the hardcore fan shitting on Vince McMahon's designated force fed superstar and cheering for ANYONE else to win.

And the exact same thing happened last night when they chanted for Rusev.

The Rock appearing makes me think they knew.
Clearly the person who made that call knew. But the WWE power structure isn't just one person. Some people are more clouded and living in a bubble of self-delusion than others.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Where's Mark Henry been? Is he retired? I was told it wouldn't be that easy.

The 'did someone not get what they wanted' shit is fucking hilarious considering it's coming from a company that mutes crowds when they don't react the way they want them to.

The Rock appearing makes me think they knew.
True. And then they thought that'd work. Maybe in another town.
Some folks in the back clearly didn't recognize that the Reigns chant last year was purely a spite cheer because Big Dave was supposed to win.

It had NOTHING to do with being embraced by the hardcore fan that attends the Rumble and Mania each year.
It had EVERYTHING to do with the hardcore fan shitting on Vince McMahon's designated force fed superstar and cheering for ANYONE else to win.

And the exact same thing happened last night when they chanted for Rusev.

We'll see if it happens again next year when "The Bulgarian Breakdancer" Rusev eliminates Sami Zayn to win the Rumble

Browny

Banned
Morning WrassleGAF.

It's my birthday! I've celebrated being a year day older by reading the rumble results and deciding that nothing about the WWE
apart from NXT
matters anymore. I can't even bring myself to read the Rumble thread, to see how bad it got.

Instead, I bought cakes for everyone at work
from Aldi
, and I'm going to have a nice cup of Earl Grey.

UberTag

It's my birthday! I've celebrated being a year day older by reading the rumble results and deciding that nothing about the WWE
apart from NXT
matters anymore. I can't even bring myself to read the Rumble thread, to see how bad it got.
Congratulations for waking up and finally realizing what I've been saying for years. Although you should read the thread because it's plenty entertaining.

Ditto for seeking out footage of the hardcore crowd crapping on the event from their $500 seats instead of walking out in disgust or standing up and turning away from the ring like they should have. You'd think they'd realize by now that giving the WWE their money and booing ISN'T working.

Clearly they're as tone-deaf as Vince is when it comes to doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same awful results. One of these things has GOT to change.

Congratulations for waking up and finally realizing what I've been saying for years. Although you should read the thread because it's plenty entertaining.

Ditto for seeking out footage of the hardcore crowd crapping on the event from their $500 seats instead of walking out in disgust or standing up and turning away from the ring like they should have. You'd think they'd realize by now that giving the WWE their money and booing ISN'T working.

Except for when it worked last year.

UberTag

Except for when it worked last year.
Perhaps they'll figure out that it only worked last year because CM Punk took his ball and went home. Sting isn't going to do that. And neither is anyone else.

Unless you count Justin Gabriel. I don't count Justin Gabriel.

Guys who wants to order Fast Lane?

OskrI3p.jpg
Can I see a version of this with "sad, teary-eyed, I just won the Royal Rumble and got booed relentlessly" Roman Reigns shopped in over this stock image?

Punk leaving changed the card. Not the reaction. Without Punk, they truly have the audience by the balls. Unless you stop watching altogether.

I fully believe that the card would have changed irrelevant of what Punk did. He wouldn't have gotten in the same way, but Bryan would have ended up in the main event. I don't think the whole thing was as dependent on Punk as most seem to think.

PInk Tape

Banned
Morning WrassleGAF.

apart from NXT

Instead, I bought cakes for everyone at work
from Aldi
, and I'm going to have a nice cup of Earl Grey.

Happy birthday! :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Has Monday Night War talked about Goldberg yet?
I would like to watch them talk about Goldberg. I would like to sit there and watch William Regal talk about 'they pushed him too fast, too hard when he clearly wasn't ready' with a smile on his face and no sense of irony of that little WWE logo in the bottom right corner.

I fully believe that the card would have changed irrelevant of what Punk did. He wouldn't have gotten in the same way, but Bryan would have ended up in the main event.

Punk said it himself that Vince legit thought Orton vs BATISTA was gonna be the greatest main event of all time. Dude wasn't gonna fucking shove.

Punk said it himself that Vince legit thought Orton vs BATISTA was gonna be the greatest main event of all time. Dude wasn't gonna fucking shove.

Okay, so what does that have to do with Punk leaving? They could have easily just done Bryan vs. Triple H and not involved the main event stipulation. But they didn't. They changed course. Batista was supposed to get the belt and never did.

Wow that diva match was shithouse. Brie pulls away the tag partner, Nikki gets the pin. No ruling against that? Seems absurd. Why doesn't that happen most tag matches.

UberTag

Okay, so what does that have to do with Punk leaving? They could have easily just done Bryan vs. Triple H and not involved the main event stipulation. But they didn't. They changed course. Batista was supposed to get the belt and never did.
I suspect Big Dave might have actually told them NOT to give him the belt and to give the fans what they wanted instead. It's not like he needed that title run. And he's said as much in interviews.

You think Roman Reigns is going to tell them NOT to give him the belt?

Ok you have a good point. But i really don't think they're going to fold to the audience AGAIN and do the work for them AGAIN. Then come the Bleacher Report article saying they meant to do this and come off as the carny slimy fucks they truly are.

Ok you have a good point. But i really don't think they're going to fold to the audience AGAIN and do the work for them AGAIN. Then come the Bleacher Report article saying they meant to do this and come off as the carny slimy fucks they truly are.

I don't think they will either, but I don't think it is impossible. I just think the idea of "if you go to the shows you've already lost no matter what noise you make" is a dumb sentiment because last year proved that's not true.

UberTag

I don't think they will either, but I don't think it is impossible. I just think the idea of "if you go to the shows you've already lost no matter what noise you make" is a dumb sentiment because last year proved that's not true.
Last year was a fluke. The WWE should have never fell back asswards into a Mania program that resonated so much with their audience and they clearly resented doing it which is why they did everything in their power to bury Bryan, have Kane lay him out repeatedly and have him hide behind his wife during his brief title reign.

You might think "if you go to the shows you've already lost no matter what noise you make" is a dumb sentiment... but it's a factual one. Like why in the hell should these people continue to give Vince their money when they're just going to be ignored because what THEY want isn't what's "Best for Business"?

RobbieNick

...I wouldn't be surprised if they never bring up the fact that Curtis Axel was never eliminated as he never got in the ring due to Eric Rowen.

I'm not on the Roman Reigns hate wagon myself, but when your ENTIRE audience is booing the guy you're trying to push as a face, you don't main event him at Wrestlemania.

I would have preferred Rusev vs. Lesnar personally.

Last year was a fluke. The WWE should have never fell back asswards into a Mania program that resonated so much with their audience and they clearly resented doing it which is why they did everything in their power to bury Bryan, have Kane lay him out repeatedly and have him hide behind his wife during his brief title reign.

You might think "if you go to the shows you've already lost no matter what noise you make" is a dumb sentiment... but it's a factual one. Like why in the hell should these people continue to give Vince their money when they're just going to be ignored because what THEY want isn't what's "Best for Business"?

"Last year was a fluke". It doesn't matter whether that is true or not. If that scenario never happens again, that won't matter. Now that WWE has given into it once, it'll always hang over their heads as a possibility and fans will shit on things they don't want and expect to change. When it doesn't happen, they'll just shit on it some more. WWE gave the fans hope when they changed course, and now they'll never be able to take it away no matter how hard they try.

My sport of choice is Formula One, who is also owned by an ancient, senile man with no attachment to reality. He has his favorites, too, of course. Cena Ferrari Always Wins™, which is rough since they've been a snoozefest the past 5 years with terrible booking. Cena Ferrari was the face of the place forever and eventually people got bored with it. Too predicable and management handed them favors all over the place. Sure, they have a solid fanbase and tell tons of merch, but for years now there have been better things to watch and new things to get excited about.

As the structures died it's became clear that fans are more interested in following a driver as a person and not oldschool team loyalty. The WWE has run into this and has shown no ability to cope with it. Fan favorites appear for seemingly no reason at times. Bullied guys go over. Lovable jobbers get over. Hard-working and entertaining heels get over. Traditional faces start to draw jeers, etc. We know how this works.

For this past season, fan-voted top 5 drivers were:
1) Former top babyface who turned mid-season to form a new heel stable. Was epic monster heel before babyface. Uncertain future is exciting.
2) The Champion, who went from heel to face the first half of the season. Huge babyface with turn. Flipped several times in career and is unpredictable.
3) A loveable alcoholic who won the championship a decade ago who rarely makes a splash now but is really great with a mic. Neither heel nor face, just awesome.
4) "New face of the company" who had a silver spoon until this year and went heel in frustration. Over as a heel, especially among people who hated him as a face.
5) A jobber face on a junior team that had to buy his way back into a car via a goddamn kickstarter. Fans loved his underdog status in prior years and raised $10M just so he could race in a terrible car that started at the back of the grid every race.

That. THAT. That is freaking great diversity at the top of your roster. The Reality Era™ is hitting different sports differently. The WWE are the worst organization on the planet when it comes to needing to adjust. There needs to be room within the talent for some organic flow. Everything will keep on keeping on and everyone can keep making money. People won't be conned into liking anyone any more. They just want a venue where they can watch the talent play it out and eagerly await their next promos.

I even paid $30 for their ridiculous premium app because it offered legitimately cool exclusive features. Conversely, WWE apparently doesn't want The People's Money™. I'd have bought in an instant for Bryan-Lesnar, sigh. That'd be Best For Business™! Vince might hate the "entitled" fans but they're the ones most likely to buy his goddamn network if handed quality, as we're the generation of apps, micro-transactions and subscriptions.

Thank you for tolerating this extremely odd post.

UberTag

"Last year was a fluke". It doesn't matter whether that is true or not. If that scenario never happens again, that won't matter. Now that WWE has given into it once, it'll always hang over their heads as a possibility and fans will shit on things they don't want and expect to change. When it doesn't happen, they'll just shit on it some more. WWE gave the fans hope when they changed course, and now they'll never be able to take it away no matter how hard they try.
Oh I won't argue against that. You're absolutely right in that it set a dangerous precedent. Fans are going to continue to shit on the product relentlessly in hardcore territories and be the silent puppet sheep Vince loves when they escape to Corpus Christi or some other southern hick NASCAR town with a population of 200K or less. Because they've conned themselves into believing that they can get what they want by generating a reaction like this. If they ever truly took what their chosen martyr (CM Punk) said to heart, they'd know that's not how things work in Vince's head.

If they really wanted Reigns to be over by RR, they should have just had him beat the shit out of John Cena several times between WM and now.
That would have helped a LOT.
Unfortunately, Cena's a master politician and has the benefit of being Vince McMahon's wrestling avatar so until Vince finds a way to make Reigns his new puppet full-time that was never going to happen.

And there you go.

Is 11th February going to be the best day of the year? NXT Takeover IV and NJPW New Beginning In Osaka?
Not the best day of the year. Just the next best day.

Isn't that like; wrestling booking 101? I mean not according to WWE, but still...
Yeah pretty much. That's what makes it so damn hilarious. It's the most simple solution. Bryan should've won at Summerslam and kept the belt until WM and Orton could've cashed in after that and that could've been the end of his run. Not the best run but I'm willing to bet that most people would've been satisfied enough that this kind of shit wouldn't happen.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Macho Man just called Bret Hart a mark for himself in a promo.

And this was in 98

Wolfpac and Black and White fighting over Buff Daddy. Lol.

Recall

You all expect too much from the WWE who are so out of touch but clearly not enough because all you drones will still tune in and watch RAW and the next and the next. It's proven they don't need to try because they still get the ratings.

UberTag

do you think the NXT guys will be stepping up their game to try and top Royal Rumble?
No need. They'll top Royal Rumble simply by doing what they normally do. Delivering the best wrestling product the WWE produces. And the only product worth watching on a consistent basis.
Because Vince McMahon isn't involved.

You all expect too much from the WWE who are so out of touch but clearly not enough because all you drones will still tune in and watch RAW and the next and the next. It's proven they don't need to try because they still get the ratings.
True enough. Same reason the Maple Leafs never aspire to win a Stanley Cup. Their fans are stupidly loyal and will gladly pay the most expensive ticket prices in North America for a horribly mismanaged team that never delivers. Why aspire to be better than that when you can offer dog food for the price of a steak?

Update from Meltzer:

Vince doesn't want to do a three-way at Mania because he feels like it'd be a repeat of last year. They expected the backlash but not to this degree. And Rock is NOT HAPPY.

Top Bottom