• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Browny

Banned
How prophetic Stro's thread title really is...

Shit, top o' the page:

JyqkrtL.gif

Hasney

Morning WrassleGAF.

It's my birthday! I've celebrated being a year day older by reading the rumble results and deciding that nothing about the WWE
apart from NXT
matters anymore. I can't even bring myself to read the Rumble thread, to see how bad it got.

Instead, I bought cakes for everyone at work
from Aldi
, and I'm going to have a nice cup of Earl Grey.

A very merry Reigns day to you. If anyone asks, I was drinking for your birthday from midnight onwards, not because of the Rumble.

Update from Meltzer:

Vince doesn't want to do a three-way at Mania because he feels like it'd be a repeat of last year. They expected the backlash but not to this degree. And Rock is NOT HAPPY.

This doesn't sound like the Meltzer I know. I mean, he has an answer.

Granted, the most obvious answer, but still.

UberTag

How prophetic Stro's thread title really is...
No one said he was wrong. I certainly never did.

Even an endless stream of regurgitated Sopranos .gifs that offer no commentary whatsoever except spam is more entertaining than what the WWE charged money for tonight outside of that triple threat match.

Hasney

No one said he was wrong. I certainly never did.

Even an endless stream of regurgitated Sopranos .gifs that offer no commentary whatsoever except spam is more entertaining than what the WWE charged money for tonight outside of that triple threat match.

Feels like a slap in the face to me. I mean, it was all gifs from the Network until it was accessible in the UK and once it is, suddenly Stro is pulling for a service that isn't available in the UK. He just likes to mock us.

Aiii

So not worth it
Update from Meltzer:

Vince doesn't want to do a three-way at Mania because he feels like it'd be a repeat of last year. They expected the backlash but not to this degree. And Rock is NOT HAPPY.

Why would Rock not be happy? He tried his best, got a pop. They cheered him, but boo'ed Roman. He should be used to this by now, he came back for two Mania's to go through that with Cena.

Hasney

Why would Rock not be happy? He tried his best, got a pop. They cheered him, but boo'ed Roman. He should be used to this by now, he came back for two Mania's to go through that with Cena.

Eh, I wouldn't, I've it if I was put in that situation and several thousand people were hating on a member of my family.

i...i don't... understand

Sesrch deep within yourself. You will find the answer.

Xater

Wow this Rumble was shit.

Title match was meh and was only fun because Lesnar was the face to this crowd.

The Rumble match itself was so badly done. Crowd really stopped caring when Bryan got eliminated so early and only really woke up to boo the shit out Vince's chosen one. The Rock being there just to counter the boos was so pathetic.

Also based on this Rumble I will not watch Mania this year. I have no interest in where this is heading.

UberTag

The Rumble match itself was so badly done. Crowd really stopped caring when Bryan got eliminated so early and only really woke up to boo the shit out Vince's chosen one. The Rock being there just to counter the boos was so pathetic.
The important take away from all of this is that Sunny promoted a better Rumble than Vince and delivered a far more satisfying winner.

For about a minute I thought Bryan would win it all because of the fact he was laying on the mat for so long to conserve his energy. I was upset that bray eliminated him but I thought maybe there was a reason... Motherfucker didn't even make it to top 4 and got thrown out like a sack of shit by two dudes that should have retired 5 years ago. I thought this rumble was going to be great when bubba ray showed up and beat ass but they took him out not too long after. The lack of a nxt guest also didn't help when they could have used it to jump start someone like nevelle onto the main roster soon and make a impact but I'm sure Vince would not like a rookie to make the stars look like amateurs. I'm glad my cancelled subscription last till the day after nxt Takeover because fastline can go eat shit with that rumored main event of reigns vs big show in a last man standing match.

But besides that crap Seth and Brock gave a killer performance. Awesome match that made Lesnar look like a last boss in a video game. Lol

That triple threat match was so indie-rific with the finisher spam, near-falls and kick outs at one. I mean, I enjoyed it, but I was surprised so many who shit on indie wrestling for the very same things seemed to enjoy it as well. Fell asleep during the Rumble, woke up to see Rock run in. Fell asleep again.

The thread title should be; 'Stop watching this garbage and get NJPW World'

*edit, forgot to mention, Cena busting out some rare shit from his war crate last night was pretty great. Michinoku Driver, sit-out powerbomb and that sweet Curb Stomp counter into an STF. That was so smooth.

Also apparently backstage they are trying to paint this whole thing as a Philadelphia issue. Blaming the city and crowd and such.

This is stupid though they built the whole rumble around protecting roman and minimizing the backlash. They even brought in the Rock to try to help put over roman nothing worked which anyone with a brain could have told them would happen. Now they have to deal with the possibility of their Wrestlemania main event getting the same reaction as the rumble.

UberTag

Also apparently backstage they are trying to paint this whole thing as a Philadelphia issue. Blaming the city and crowd and such.
Eventually they'll realize this is a "these are the only fans we can get if we charge $300 a seat" issue. Mania won't be any different.

They won't learn until fans wise up and stop selling out stadiums at those prices.

dakun

This is stupid though they built the whole rumble around protecting roman and minimizing the backlash. They even brought in the Rock to try to help put over roman nothing worked which anyone with a brain could have told them would happen. Now they have to deal with the possibility of their Wrestlemania main event getting the same reaction as the rumble.

yeah people will cheer for Brock no doubt. If they stick to their plans with Reigns vs. Lesnar their best bet at this point would be turning Roman heel. At least towards the crowd. He's dead as a face anyway and nothing will change that for the foreseeable future.

Though there is this big problem of Roman not being able to do good promos which kills any chance of him surviving as a heel. Also his whole "walking in from the stands" thing wouldn't work if he turns on the fans. (Though that needs to stop anyway)

imo the bigger problem is that i can't see a Reigns vs. Brock match being very interesting to begin with. A Superman Punch against Brock makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Browny

Banned
yeah people will cheer for Brock no doubt. If they stick to their plans with Reigns vs. Lesnar their best bet at this point would be turning Roman heel. At least towards the crowd. He's dead as a face anyway and nothing will change that for the foreseeable future.

Though there is this big problem of Roman not being able to do good promos which kills any chance of him surviving as a heel. Also his whole "walking in from the stands" thing wouldn't work if he turns on the fans. (Though that needs to stop anyway)

imo the bigger problem is that i can't see a Reigns vs. Brock match being very interesting to begin with. A Superman Punch against Brock makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Easy enough to fix the first two counts. a) Have Heyman turn on Brock, and declare Reigns the future, and that Brock is the past. Instant heat, and a mouthpiece for promos. b) Have him come out normally, and state that he's leaving the fans behind, as they're not good enough (or words to that effect).

Won't happen though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Because I think he wasn't expecting it. He looked stunned when the boos were coming.

As I said in the other thread, I wonder if Rock pays enough attention to the internet to know this was coming. My guess is he doesn't.

Aiii

So not worth it
I kind of want to make an OT thread that recommends people wrestling that isn't WWE.

Basically, it's going to be a "Sick of WWE and wanting some good wrestling, watch this!"-thread.

I also want to do some kind of viewing party there, where we watch one hour (or match or whatever) of FUN wrestling, can be anything, people can recommend stuff and we'll watch and talk about that.

So, obviously I am going talk up New Japan and WK9 in particular, Lucha Underground, ROH and NXT, but I need some help from the indie geeks. Link me some matches and preferable add a short explanation as to why someone should watch what your posting.

Hasney

I kind of want to make an OT thread that recommends people wrestling that isn't WWE.

Basically, it's going to be a "Sick of WWE and wanting some good wrestling, watch this!"-thread.

I also want to do some kind of viewing party there, where we watch one hour (or match or whatever) of FUN wrestling, can be anything, people can recommend stuff and we'll watch and talk about that.

So, obviously I am going talk up New Japan and WK9 in particular, Lucha Underground, ROH and NXT, but I need some help from the indie geeks. Link me some matches and preferable add a short explanation as to why someone should watch what your posting.

May as well shout out ICW as well. Only familiar with them as of the last BBC doc, but I'll be going if they come back to Leeds for sure.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah Raw is fucked tomorrow.

The arena's going to be nearly empty, and nobody who wasn't at RR is going to be able to make it into CT for Raw. So no Sting, for sure. The heaviest snow (2-4"/hr.) is going to start falling about an hour before Raw starts. So that means nearly a foot of snow by the time the show ends. Fans' cars will probably be stuck in the parking lot, which is gonna suck. And they're expecting the highways to be closed as a safety precaution, so it's likely that the people who usually go to the CT Raws from the surrounding states aren't going to be able to make it in.

Basically, expect a VERY small crowd for Raw tonight. As far as the Smackdown taping on Tuesday goes...yeah I'm starting to doubt it's going to even happen at this point. Seems likely a lot of the roster is going to be stuck in CT.

NZerker12

So I hear Reigns won the rumble........Brock vs Reigns WM 31......

Wow that has got to be one of the worst title matches for a Wrestlemania in a long time. The only other one I can think of is Cena vs Miz.

This Mania is going to be big failure at this rate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yeah Raw is fucked tomorrow.

The arena's going to be nearly empty, and nobody who wasn't at RR is going to be able to make it into CT for Raw. So no Sting, for sure. The heaviest snow (2-4"/hr.) is going to start falling about an hour before Raw starts. So that means nearly a foot of snow by the time the show ends. Fans' cars will probably be stuck in the parking lot, which is gonna suck. And they're expecting the highways to be closed as a safety precaution, so it's likely that the people who usually go to the CT Raws from the surrounding states aren't going to be able to make it in.

Basically, expect a VERY small crowd for Raw tonight. As far as the Smackdown taping on Tuesday goes...yeah I'm starting to doubt it's going to even happen at this point. Seems likely a lot of the roster is going to be stuck in CT.

They can do an empty arena Halftime Heat style event and pipe in crowd noise. When Reigns comes out, the fans nationwide will be cheering so hard you can hear it in the arena!

Browny

Banned

Don't put a link to Sunny's Twitch account - especially not the GWF. That's far too entertaining compared to the 'E at the moment.

Progress Chapter 13 is free on YT, and includes Devitt's Joker entrance and Jimmy Havoc being a cunt.

Aiii

So not worth it
May as well shout out ICW as well. Only familiar with them as of the last BBC doc, but I'll be going if they come back to Leeds for sure.

Oh, I'll add ICW.

I was already going to add a "Documentary" section, so it was going in there, but yeah it deserves it own section for Grado alone :D

Don't put a link to Sunny's Twitch account - especially not the GWF. That's far too entertaining compared to the 'E at the moment.

Progress Chapter 13 is free on YT, and includes Devitt's Joker entrance and Jimmy Havoc being a cunt.

Good stuff!

kiguel182

Here are my comments on the RR:

- The triple threat was fucking amazing. Sure, it would be better if Cena ate the pin but apart from that really top notch. Rollins was on top of his game as was Lesnar. Tons of great spots, great pacing and overall just a great match.

- My rumble lottery number was the fucking Miz, fuck that.

- Mizdown elimination was the moment of the Rumble. I actually laughed. So good.

- Bryan being eliminated killed the crowd. I didn't think it would happen that soon or that the crowd would really be pissed but they did. The fact that it happen soon tired them of booing so it didn't kill the entire match like last year. Still, the mood was ruined and it was hard to care for anything else.

- I didn't get the point of the whole Rusev thing at the end. The crowd cheered for him and I hadn't realize he was even in the match and then got quickly eliminated. Weird all around.

- Bringing the Rock to make Reigns look good was just sad. It ended up in people booing the Rock and being indifferent when he left. I honestly couldn't care less about seeing The Rock wrestle or even being on TV so wtv. Typical WWE.

- Reigns won and nobody was surprised. He was also booed out of the fucking building so nobody was surprised either. Great way to start your main-event push in the middle of boos and just apathy.

- I will not buy Wrestlemania that's for sure. Couldn't care less about Reigns vs Lesnar and won't support it.

That is all. Glad I didn't stay up or subscribe to the WWE Network.

Xater

Hahahaha, just heard Alvarez talking about how putting Bryan in the Rumble the way they did and then not winning was dumb. Someone from WWE told him they didn't think about that. These fucking carnies.

Got a chance to watch the whole event. Rollins is freaking great. Lesnar needs to be paid enough to keep the title indefinitely until the WWE sorts out its endless debacle with the fanbase.

Rumble post-Bryan was so quiet. Even with headphones, nothing. The countdown chants were dead. The crowd desperately trying to cling on to Ambrose, Ziggler and even Ryback for even the tiniest shred of hope was endearing. Everyone there knew what was going to happen but were so desperate they thought they might get a miracle out of a botch or something.

Any PPV crowd is going to be more knowledgeable in general because of the price point, and especially WM because people travel for it. They will wreck Reigns and entirely be behind Lesnar.

For safety reasons they should probably cancel RAW. They really, really should. Tuesday is already going to not happen so I fear they'll be desperate to get in something. Perhaps start hours early just to get SOME matches on film, or do a ton of interviews early in the day so everyone can get out.
Roman Reigns has to stand in the same ring as Heyman and cut a promo. Honestly we should only feel pity for this man.
Not just this, but do it for 2 months. Two. Months.

Plinko

Hahahaha, just heard Alvarez talking about how putting Bryan in the Rumble the way they did and then not winning was dumb. Someone from WWE told him they didn't think about that. These fucking carnies.

That is a colossal lie.

Top Bottom