• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Hold up, can someone confirm whether or not the New Nintendo 3DS and the LL have hooks for keitai strap anymore?

I know my 3DS LL does. I hope they didn't get rid of it...
New 3DS has it, confirmed. Don't have an LL but I'd wager it does as well.

kubus

I just won a New 3DS LL from office bingo!
So happy!

This is a very informative and well presented thread, so just wanted to share and say thanks.

Also, is there any information about indies on the JPN store? I haven't tried browsing the store much yet as the battery is already dead (no power cable) and sorting on the web store is limited.

Would love to know if there are any cool deals or promotions going on right now on the E-shop. Like winter sales or 2 for 1 or anything like that. I spotted the first 4 chapters of Bravely Default for free - if there's anything else like that worth checking out then let a bro know!

Finally, how much space to full digital games usually take up? I'm hoping the 4GB SD card doesn't fill up too quickly...

Can't wait to dive into the Nintendo love... I'm spoiled for choice on what full game to get first. MonHun 4U? Smash Bros? Pokemon?
Wow, congrats on winning the 3DS! What a nice prize :D.

I'm not really familiar with the Japanese indie scene, so unfortunately I can't really help you with that. Maybe someone else can jump in and help here. Also I can't remember there being any special promotions going on right now but the last time I visited the eShop has been some time ago so could be wrong! I know there was something about registering both Smash and Pokémon but I forgot D:

Sorry, not really helpful at all XD I just wanted to congratulate you on your 3DS! Hope you stick around in the thread, some new faces are always welcome :).

As for what full game to get: I guess it largely depends on your level of Japanese. I can read quite a lot kanji but I never could get into my imported copy of Monster Hunter 3G. Material and equipment names are almost all in kanji that I couldn't read yet which made it too hard for me to get into the game (I don't have the patience to look at FAQs all the time). Pokémon is very doable for me because of the basic Japanese, and Smash doesn't really need any knowledge of the language at all. All three of them are great, so you can't really go wrong with any of those three quality wise :D. The Shinuchi version of Youkai Watch 2 is also coming out this Friday, if you're looking to get something new-ish. Haven't played the original versions of YW2 yet but based on my experience with the first game (almost finished it) and impressions of YW2 from fellow Gaffers, it's going to be a really great game packed with tons of content.

Speaking of which...

B4hejspCEAEucRW.png

Just preordered my copy :D.

Any talk yet about Amiibo support on the New 3DS? Apparently the recent system update added Amiibo support?... Curious what the experience is like. Smash doesn't support them yet on 3DS, does it?...

Impotaku

The framework for them was added with the latest update but so far no games use them on the 3DS yet, it will need to be patched into various games that Nintendo choose but for the time been all you can do is examine/edit the data stored on the amiibo if you put in on the 3DS.

TheUnsane1

Neo Member
5 days short of having my n3ds LL 2 months it is not working.

I'm pretty upset about it. Booting normally the system powers on the leds, the sound plays but the screens never come on, also the sound will not come back if I close the unit and open it. Booting into force update mode the screens and sound function as normal and it was able to download the most recent patch even.

I've powered up with out sd card, with a different sd card, with no game, with 3 different games, with a ds game nothing.

I hope no one else has this issue, and I just want it to work again.

Halabane

Any talk yet about Amiibo support on the New 3DS? Apparently the recent system update added Amiibo support?... Curious what the experience is like. Smash doesn't support them yet on 3DS, does it?...

It registers them but I don't think Smash has been updated to use them. Is there another app that uses them on the 3ds?

kubus

YAY, one of us one of us lol
I've even been browsing those medals and folders to store them... Aghh someone stop me before it's too late! :p I can't handle both this and my recent amiibo addiction....

Btw my Youkai Watch Shinuchi order at amazon says the delivery estimate is between december 25 and december 27... :'( might've been too late with preordering. This probably means the cover plate will end up shipping first and I'll have to pay for consolidation services AGAIN lol.

ryushe

Can anyone tell me how much E.X. Troppers is on the eShop?

I'd look myself but I don't have my N3DS yet and I'm having a hard time finding it on the eShop' website.

Weils

Neo Member
Can anyone tell me how much E.X. Troppers is on the eShop?

I'd look myself but I don't have my N3DS yet and I'm having a hard time finding it on the eShop' website.

I assume you are using the Japanese eshop? You should search for under its katakana name, エクストルーパズ. Anyway, you're in luck! Capcom is currently having a sale for selected digital games and EX-Troopers is one of them. Once you have your N3DS and registered your account to access eshop, from the main eshop menu, you should see a light blue button on the left labelled 'News' (ニュース). You should see the latest news is about the Capcom Winter Sale!! Click it and scroll to the first game, which is EX-Troopers. It is currently discounted from 5132 yen to 2000 yen. You should check out on the Biohazard games like Revelations and Mercenaries 3D as well as Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition, those are in the sale too. Btw, the sale lasts till Jan. 14 2015, so get it as soon as you are able to.

ryushe

Awesome! Thank you so much for that information. Looks like I'll definitely be getting E.X Troppers via the eShop and triple dipping on Revelations.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, congrats on winning the 3DS! What a nice prize :D.

I'm not really familiar with the Japanese indie scene, so unfortunately I can't really help you with that. Maybe someone else can jump in and help here. Also I can't remember there being any special promotions going on right now but the last time I visited the eShop has been some time ago so could be wrong! I know there was something about registering both Smash and Pokémon but I forgot D:

Sorry, not really helpful at all XD I just wanted to congratulate you on your 3DS! Hope you stick around in the thread, some new faces are always welcome :).

As for what full game to get: I guess it largely depends on your level of Japanese. I can read quite a lot kanji but I never could get into my imported copy of Monster Hunter 3G. Material and equipment names are almost all in kanji that I couldn't read yet which made it too hard for me to get into the game (I don't have the patience to look at FAQs all the time). Pokémon is very doable for me because of the basic Japanese, and Smash doesn't really need any knowledge of the language at all. All three of them are great, so you can't really go wrong with any of those three quality wise :D. The Shinuchi version of Youkai Watch 2 is also coming out this Friday, if you're looking to get something new-ish. Haven't played the original versions of YW2 yet but based on my experience with the first game (almost finished it) and impressions of YW2 from fellow Gaffers, it's going to be a really great game packed with tons of content.

Speaking of which...

B4hejspCEAEucRW.png

Just preordered my copy :D.
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I'm really chuffed with it and haven't even stuck in a game yet. Just made my Mii and farted about in the pre-installed apps. Just feels like it's gonna be fun to use. I mean, I love my Vita but looking forward to getting something different out of this :)

After checking out the Eshop it seems they're still doing a Pokemon/Smash thing, but it's just a bonus present if you buy both games, not really a cool deal. Will have a proper look for indies and such once I'm somewhere with decent WiFi. Hoping for some VC titles to catch my eye as well...

I played MonHun Portable 3rd on PSP extensively and didn't have too much trouble with the kanji, so hopefully it won't be an issue with 4U. A bunch of people already play it at work, so I can't wait to jump in!

Not sure about Youkai... I know it's the hip new kids thing, but I'd rather go classic/nostalgic with Pokemon X/Y or Ruby/Sapphire. Smash will be a given at some point. I'll definitely stick around here now that I'm a proud owner!

Meffer

Well, I downloaded YW2 Shinuchi yesterday and played it for a bit. I did the linking content thing but I noticed you can transfer your save file from Honke and Ganso over to this one. I didn't do it though since from what I understand it deletes the file in the other two when transfered so I didn't want to risk it.

There are some differences in the beginning cutscene like it's a bit longer and there's another old lady making three. That and the part which bun(?) from either of the two stores in the beginning has a more impactful effect. I think it determines which faction you choose.

Superufo has New 3DS for $142~. Man, that's the best price I've seen so far, really tempted but I've blown all my money on Christmas gifts.

Well, I downloaded YW2 Shinuchi yesterday and played it for a bit. I did the linking content thing but I noticed you can transfer your save file from Honke and Ganso over to this one. I didn't do it though since from what I understand it deletes the file in the other two when transfered so I didn't want to risk it.

There are some differences in the beginning cutscene like it's a bit longer and there's another old lady making three. That and the part which bun(?) from either of the two stores in the beginning has a more impactful effect. I think it determines which faction you choose.

Interesting, so the story changes a bit depending on your actions? Does Yokai Watch have multiple save slots?

Meffer

Superufo has New 3DS for $142~. Man, that's the best price I've seen so far, really tempted but I've blown all my money on Christmas gifts.

Interesting, so the story changes a bit depending on your actions? Does Yokai Watch have multiple save slots?
3 save files which is great!

Impotaku

Don't worry it doesn't wipe your saves it just makes copies of them just tested it with my digital versions as the data on those are less valuable to me, i have the transfer kind of figured out but my god is it complex. I'm still trying to figure out how to have all 3 versions linked into one save file.

Ok this is what i have figured out from quickly messing with it

Firstly you need your ganso & honke to be updated to version 2.0 that gives you the option obviously to move data to shinuchi. The patch data can be deleted if you want to revert your game back to the older 1.0 version, i keep mine at the old version as it has a really handy inf money bug. So i updated and moved my save to shinuchi and then deleted the patch data on ganso to see what would happen it appears to just behave as normal like you never patched it to 2.0 save data seems to work ok although you'll get a visit from the red demon he'll be a little pissed off that you did something to your data lol but his threats can be ignored.

Ok so when you do the option to move your data from ganso/honke to shinuchi it will ask what save data you want to choose, the save data you select will be copied to the SD card and stored as a file for the transfer to use. If i remember it will also ask you if you want to change your character save file name when you transfer which is pretty good.

Now on shinuchi you do the same you select data transfer and select which ganso or honke transfer file on the SD card you wish to put into shinuchi and then what save slot you want it to go into, the save data file will have a mark on it to indicate it was transferred from ganso/honke. When you start playing and load your save in shinuchi it will be like when you last played, this is as far as i got with testing.

Now im guessing how to let the game know you have ganso/honke on a single save file so you can get all the extras under one save in shinuchi. My theory is if you link ganso & honke to each other so you unlock the interlock dungeon then the game knows that you have ganso & honke as you need both to get the dungeon unlocked so if you copy a save that has the interlock dungeon available then shinuchi knows you already linked so it in theory should gve you all the content for linking that file with shinuchi but until i find the new stuff in shinuchi i wont know for sure.

It's certainly getting a lot more complicated with bonus unlocking lol.

Impotaku

Done one more test, it seems if you update your ganso & honke game to 2.0 and then save your game while you have the patch it locks your save data to 2.0 as it marks your save file with a new icon, if you then delete the patch and try and load your save file it will no longer work till you redownload the 2.0 patch.

Luckily my cart games are unaffected but my digital copy of ganso can no longer do the money bug, may transfer all my youkai from that one into my other games now.

So you can update your game do the data transfer to sd card then move to shinuchi and pull the save off the sd card into shinuchi. Obviously all this can be ignored if you were never interested in keeping the bug intact hehe. However it is very handy for getting lots of money quick so you can buy the rare books to upgrade your youkai, saves grinding for hours to get cash.

Meffer

Done one more test, it seems if you update your ganso & honke game to 2.0 and then save your game while you have the patch it locks your save data to 2.0 as it marks your save file with a new icon, if you then delete the patch and try and load your save file it will no longer work till you redownload the 2.0 patch.

Luckily my cart games are unaffected but my digital copy of ganso can no longer do the money bug, may transfer all my youkai from that one into my other games now.

So you can update your game do the data transfer to sd card then move to shinuchi and pull the save off the sd card into shinuchi. Obviously all this can be ignored if you were never interested in keeping the bug intact hehe. However it is very handy for getting lots of money quick so you can buy the rare books to upgrade your youkai, saves grinding for hours to get cash.
Is there a guide which books do what?

I'm planning on buying a New 3DS once they are released in the US.

Is it recommended for me to buy some faceplates that I'm interested in right now? In case they are discontinued and go up in price/won't get released here.

Impotaku

I use my official guidebook but i think some of the wiki online guides would have the data as well i'll have a look.

After messing around some more i discovered that you can only do the save data transfer so shinuchi once for each game, i tried to do it again using my digital copy of ganso and the save data was darkened out for transfer. I deleted my copy of shinuchi and tried redownloading again and it seems that if you do it still won't work you won't be able to transfer that save anymore it will still work normally in the game you transferred from but will no longer be allowed for shinuchi transfer.

Discovered if you have the 2.0 patch data on your ganso & honke games and go back to the guy next to the interlock dungeon in igisaki he will give you 3 new keys they are gold with 3 circles on the end, no idea though why my honke game i got three keys but on ganso i only got one i have played honke more though so i probably unlocked all 3 somehow but not exactly sure.

Meffer

I'll have to try this stuff after work about the save transfers. I don't mind about the money glitch since I didn't even know about lol.

kubus

I'm planning on buying a New 3DS once they are released in the US.

Is it recommended for me to buy some faceplates that I'm interested in right now? In case they are discontinued and go up in price/won't get released here.
If the Australian release is anything to go by, some faceplates won't see a Western release at all. Only 20 faceplates are available there now, while Japan has 54. They will probably bring more of them over later to Europe, but Japan will always have the biggest selection.

As for availability, amazon Japan has most of them still stocked, although a select few seem to be sold out with no indication that they'll be restocked again. I can imagine that some of the older plates will go out of print eventually while the most popular ones will be kept on shelves a little longer (the Mario/Luigi plates, for example).

Faceplates are insanely cheap in Japan due to the weak yen, especially if you buy them from Amazon, so it's not a bad idea to import the few you really want to have. Speaking of which, this might be a good opportunity to reintroduce the New 3DS Import Shopping Spreadsheet to everyone in this thread, as it has been upgraded to...

The spreadsheet now automatically converts prices to other currencies using the latest currency exchange rates obtained from Google Finance. I've also updated it with all the latest face plates. Should be super convenient when going faceplate shopping! :)

Meffer

Since the new version of YW2 came out and it's getting more attention here on GAF. I was think of making an thread of YW in general. One where people can look into it more and people who have it can help each other go through the games.

I'd rather not detract this thread since this is about importing the n3DS and games. Sound good?

BriBri

Since the new version of YW2 came out and it's getting more attention here on GAF. I was think of making an thread of YW in general. One where people can look into it more and people who have it can help each other go through the games.

I'd rather not detract this thread since this is about importing the n3DS and games. Sound good?
Yes. Sounds almost necessary considering how huge the franchise now is.

kubus

This thread is not just for talking about importing, games can be discussed as well. But that doesn't mean a game can't have its own dedicated import thread (like Daigassou). So yeah go for it!

If you need any help with graphics or anything let me know :).

I've read a couple of places now that the New 3DS LL actually loads things slightly faster than the regular New 3DS. Can any of you guys confirm or deny? I really don't understand how that could be possible, but who knows.

Also, I'm planning on doing some heavy reading of this thread tomorrow, but have there been any updates regarding region unlocking with the Cubic Ninja Hack/Gateway? Also, has anyone here done any in depth comparisons/reviews?

Lernaean

Banned
Read that the small N3D's screen is sharper than OG's and LL's, is that true?
Also is it the same with LL? I mean is the N3DS LL's screen sharper than 3DS LL's?
And in general which one is better?
I'm loving my XL and i'm not sure i could go back to the smaller one, but the small has the colored buttons and faceplates. If the screen of the N3DS looks better than the one of N3DS LL, i think i'll go with the small one.
What do you guys think?

Meffer

I've read a couple of places now that the New 3DS LL actually loads things slightly faster than the regular New 3DS. Can any of you guys confirm or deny? I really don't understand how that could be possible, but who knows.

Also, I'm planning on doing some heavy reading of this thread tomorrow, but have there been any updates regarding region unlocking with the Cubic Ninja Hack/Gateway? Also, has anyone here done any in depth comparisons/reviews?

Well, I know MonHun 4G loads areas quicker on n3DS than on the older ones that's for sure. I guess LBXW loads battles quickly too since the loading prompt just flashes by for me.

Meffer

Read that the small N3D's screen is sharper than OG's and LL's, is that true?
Also is it the same with LL? I mean is the N3DS LL's screen sharper than 3DS LL's?
And in general which one is better?
I'm loving my XL and i'm not sure i could go back to the smaller one, but the small has the colored buttons and faceplates. If the screen of the N3DS looks better than the one of N3DS LL, i think i'll go with the small one.
What do you guys think?

I have the small one. Either of the n3DS's screens have the same res as the older models. So what really matters for you is what size you want for your screen. Honestly I like the small one more. It does have a bigger screen then the OG model but smaller than the XL so you have a nice middle road where it looks sharp and visible but not blown up like the XL. I'll be getting the small one again when it hits the US.

Lernaean

Banned
I have the small one. Either of the n3DS's screens have the same res as the older models. So what really matters for you is what size you want for your screen. Honestly I like the small one more. It does have a bigger screen then the OG model but smaller than the XL so you have a nice middle road where it looks sharp and visible but not blown up like the XL. I'll be getting the small one again when it hits the US.

Yeah, i know the res is the same, there was just talk that the New have sharper colors etc.
Anyway, yeah it seems that the N3DS being between OG and XL is the best.
I'd like to read more opinions though.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Mang, the Japanese E-store is disappointing on the indie front.
I was excited to buy Shovel Knight, but I guess it hasn't been localised yet. (At least it's coming to Vita.)

Also, are there any plans for SNES or N64 games?
I thought stuff like Super Metroid and F-Zero would be a given, but I'm not sure if I want to settle for their GBA counterparts... Does anyone have any good/cheap VC recommendations?

Would you folks recommend digital over package games in general for 3DS?
It's always going to be cheaper to go package out here, but I've heard niggling stories about save data getting split between the cartridge/SD card/system/etc. whereas with digital games it all gets stored on the SD card.

I guess I'll need something bigger than 4GB if I go mostly digital, but at least they're cheaper than Sony's memory card solution.

Either way I'll be taking the plunge and downloading MH4G tonight, as that cart would never leave the slot anyways :)

Hasney

Also, are there any plans for SNES or N64 games?
I thought stuff like Super Metroid and F-Zero would be a given, but I'm not sure if I want to settle for their GBA counterparts... Does anyone have any good/cheap VC recommendations?

No plans. hell, there aren't any plans for GBA games outside of the ambassador ones as the system can't handle it properly.

Things may change now we have the New 3DS since they have more power to play with, but since Wii U doesn't have N64, don't hold your breath for that one.

ryushe

71fcd735-3403-43c8-bcb9-9fa3cc6dcba4_zpsb5fcea38.jpg

:D

So question: E.X troopers is supposed to be on sale, correct? Well, when I try to purchase it, it's showing the full price (5132 Yen iirc), so does the Japanese eShop always list the full price of items on sale, or am I doing something wrong?

Edit:
nvm, I see that the sale starts on the 17th... which is odd that they'd advertise before the actual date, but OK.

BriBri

71fcd735-3403-43c8-bcb9-9fa3cc6dcba4_zpsb5fcea38.jpg

:D

So question: E.X troopers is supposed to be on sale, correct? Well, when I try to purchase it, it's showing the full price (5132 Yen iirc), so does the Japanese eShop always list the full price of items on sale, or am I doing something wrong?
Sales begin 17 December.

ryushe

So I know there are a couple of games like Bravely Default and Phoenix Wright Trilogy that have English language options but are there any other titles on the eShop that also have that option?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
So I know there are a couple of games like Bravely Default and Phoenix Wright Trilogy that have English language options but are there any other titles on the eShop that also have that option?

Bravely Default has English? That's pretty cool.
I guess the free "demo" doesn't, unless I missed the option.

I believe the recent Pokemon games (X/Y, Ruby/Sapphire?) have multiple language options.

Congrats on your pickup btw! Gosh, I love that box. I mean, I can appreciate the minimalist design of the LL box, but wow...

BriBri

Here are all the planned sales for this week:-

● Capcom Winter Sale (17 December - 14 January)
E.X. Troopers > ¥2000, Gaist Crusher God > ¥3,000, Gaist Crusher > ¥2,000, Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Aida ni Aida ni > ¥1,500, Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition > ¥1,500, Biohazard: The Mercenaries 3D > ¥1,500, Biohazard: Revelations > ¥2,000 and Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Aida ni Aida ni first episode > ¥100.

● Intergrow Winter Sale (17 December - 7 January)
SteamWorld Dig > ¥400, Mighty Switch Force! > ¥250 and Jewel Master > ¥1,350. Metal Fight Beyblade 4D × ZEROG Ultimate Tournament will be just ¥2,700 from Christmas Eve. No end-date so I suspect this is a permanent reduction.

● Arc System Works Winter Sale (17 - 31 December)
Swords & Darkness > ¥500, Big Bass Arcade > ¥350, Tank 3D > ¥600, King of Deer Hunting > ¥250, ARC STYLE: Happy Ocean > ¥100, Okiraku Ping-Pong 3D > ¥250, Okiraku Kart 3D > ¥250, Okiraku Golf 3D > ¥250, SLICE IT! > ¥250 and Ni Kaku de Susshi! > ¥100.

Zornica

Banned

[...] Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Aida ni Aida ni first episode > ¥100.
[...]

so that's basically a paid demo?
I'm still hesitant to check it out. another week till winter holidays, I think I'll get a better deal at some used games store.

ryushe

Bravely Default has English? That's pretty cool.
I guess the free "demo" doesn't, unless I missed the option.
I'm pretty sure I remember reading For the Sequel having a English option months ago... Though, I'm not sure how to buy it stand alone.

I believe the recent Pokemon games (X/Y, Ruby/Sapphire?) have multiple language options.
Really? Hmm... Already have an NA copy of Ruby, but I might just double dip and get the Japanese version of Sapphire if that's the case.

Congrats on your pickup btw! Gosh, I love that box. I mean, I can appreciate the minimalist design of the LL box, but wow...
Right?! I love everything about the XL, but the smaller unit has too much going for it for me to miss out on getting one.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

● Capcom Winter Sale (17 December - 14 January)
E.X. Troopers > ¥2000, Gaist Crusher God > ¥3,000, Gaist Crusher > ¥2,000, Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Aida ni Aida ni > ¥1,500, Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition > ¥1,500, Biohazard: The Mercenaries 3D > ¥1,500, Biohazard: Revelations > ¥2,000 and Nazo Waku Yakata: Oto no Aida ni Aida ni first episode > ¥100.

● Intergrow Winter Sale (17 December - 7 January)
SteamWorld Dig > ¥400, Mighty Switch Force! > ¥250 and Jewel Master > ¥1,350. Metal Fight Beyblade 4D × ZEROG Ultimate Tournament will be just ¥2,700 from Christmas Eve. No end-date so I suspect this is a permanent reduction.

● Arc System Works Winter Sale (17 - 31 December)
Swords & Darkness > ¥500, Big Bass Arcade > ¥350, Tank 3D > ¥600, King of Deer Hunting > ¥250, ARC STYLE: Happy Ocean > ¥100, Okiraku Ping-Pong 3D > ¥250, Okiraku Kart 3D > ¥250, Okiraku Golf 3D > ¥250, SLICE IT! > ¥250 and Ni Kaku de Susshi! > ¥100.

Great! I'll buy EX ^_^

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure I remember reading For the Sequel having a English option months ago... Though, I'm not sure how to buy it stand alone.

Alright. I'll see how I go with the JP and if I really like the setting/gameplay I may consider picking this up (but not before Pokemon ;))

1500 yen for portable SF4 is pretty tempting, even if it is a horribly out-dated version.

Hmmmm. How much of a sucker am I for novelty value...?

ryushe

Suuuuper tempted to pick up 3D Land again. I've 100% that game. Twice. But dammit if it isn't the perfect game to play on this *new* Japanese 3DS.

Edit: Any other good platformers on the JPNeShop I should be aware of?

Top Bottom