• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Sales 12/24 - 12/31

Jonnyram

Mr. Slone, your scripts rock!

Here's some data I was interested in after reading a couple of recent blog posts on Japanese sites... 360 is generally selling better in 2007 than 2006, apart from the Blue Dragon bump last holiday.

360-20062007.png

Furoba

PuppetMaster said:
Didn't know COD4 PS3 was out already.

Anyone get the Japanese version of it yet? Is there any obvious censorship compared to the US version? I might grab the JP version unless the censorship is too extreme as to kill the atmosphere.

It was released on the 27th of December, I got it on release and I haven't noticed any real censorship (or should heads really pop when you shoot them?)

Lobster

Banned
Good sales for Galaxy :D If this week is the biggest sales week in Japan im hoping it can do 150k! Go go Galaxy!

Holy shit at Mario and Sonic also..It seemed like such a bomb during its first week lol. I still think it would've done better if SEGA published in Japan.

The PSP talk made me check the release list, now I shall show you the January PSP Release List!

01/03 - Nothing

01/10 - Zero Shiki Kanjou Sentouki Ni (Global A)

01/17 - Nothing

01/24 - Lumines II (The Best Collection) (Q Entertainment)
01/24 - World Soccer Winning Eleven Ubiquitous Edition 2008 (Konami)
01/24 - Yggdra Union (Sting)

01/31 - Daisenryaku VII Exceed (System Soft)
01/31 - Need for Speed ProStreet (EA Games)
01/31 - Sega Rally Revo (Sega)

If you want to see any PSP game on top30, looks like you should start wishing for Monster Hunter Portable 2 to show up! :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey Josh. Have you considered adding non-0-aligned running sums to linecompare.php? For example, let's say I want to see all the data for how the PS2 did in 2007. I want to see it as a running sum. But instead of starting at 0, I want it to start at 20,000,000 or whatever the PS2 was at as of January.

Basically, it'd be like doing a running sum graph of the ps2 from launch, except cropping the data out for 2007.

The simplest way of doing this would be something like (in a rush, didn't check the direct SQL page to get your actual schema)
"SELECT SUM(weekly_sales) FROM hardware WHERE date<'{$my_minimum_date}' AND console='{$my_selected_console}';" and dump that value into either the y axis origin and initial value or just the initial value depending on how you want the y axis to look on the graph.

Since you don't (yet) get paid for this, feel free to ignore the request, but I think it might be useful for a few things and I can't imagine adding the radio button and the SQL query to re-align the initial value is very tough.

Stumpokapow said:
Hey Josh. Have you considered adding non-0-aligned running sums to linecompare.php? For example, let's say I want to see all the data for how the PS2 did in 2007. I want to see it as a running sum. But instead of starting at 0, I want it to start at 20,000,000 or whatever the PS2 was at as of January.

Basically, it'd be like doing a running sum graph of the ps2 from launch, except cropping the data out for 2007.

The simplest way of doing this would be something like (in a rush, didn't check the direct SQL page to get your actual schema)
"SELECT SUM(weekly_sales) FROM hardware WHERE date<'{$my_minimum_date}' AND console='{$my_selected_console}';" and dump that value into either the y axis origin and initial value or just the initial value depending on how you want the y axis to look on the graph.

Since you don't (yet) get paid for this, feel free to ignore the request, but I think it might be useful for a few things and I can't imagine adding the radio button and the SQL query to re-align the initial value is very tough.
Something like that has crossed my mind. One date for "Start summing from here" and another for "Actually display starting from here". As usual, knowing that anyone else wants to see a change puts it on a higher priority than the back burner. I'll try this out tonight, probably adding a new argument like &sumfromdate[0]= for each system. Then you could view PS2's 2007 as its sum from launch, or as its sum from PSP's launch, or whatever.

Lobster said:
I still think it would've done better if SEGA published in Japan.
You don't hear that very often, especially as an alternative to being published by Nintendo. How do you figure?

donny2112 said:
So I've been a little more thorough and came up with a better representation of the Top 100 for 2007 from Famitsu. Note: We should get the real Top 100 in a couple of weeks.

I took the max(LTD) for all games that charted in 2007 (Top 30, mid-year Top 100, etc.) and subtracted off the LTD for any of those games that appeared in the 2006 Top 500. This will be missing any "stealth" sales by games, but should still be a pretty close approximation. This does include the rounded Famitsu data from the last two weeks.

Makeshift Famitsu 2007 Top 20

1. WII Wii Sports 1911786 / 2465000
2. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 1490000 / NEW
3. WII Wii Play 1487815 / 1991000
4. NDS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time 1257000 / NEW
5. NDS Mario Party DS 1232000 / NEW
6. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 1176786 / 4995000
7. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 1079185 / 5382000
8. WII Mario Party 8 1054000 / NEW
9. NDS Dragon Quest IV 1053000 / NEW
10. NDS Brain Training 2 951623 / 4700261
11. NDS Mario Kart DS 910343 / 2695000
12. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 858979 / 4514000
13. WII Wii Fit 818000 / NEW
14. NDS Yoshi's Island DS 810398 / NEW
15. NDS Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 784290 / NEW
16. NDS Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village 766000 / NEW
17. NDS Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 765365 / 1398449
18. WII Super Mario Galaxy 748000 / NEW
19. PSP Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII 729459 / NEW
20. NDS Observation Training 675446 / NEW

Full makeshift Top 100 with publishers.

NDS - 56
PS2 - 19
WII - 14
PSP - 6
PS3 - 5

#100 is @ 150K.

Nice work, Donny.
Honestly 150k for #100 is really good, and probably due to some "hidden long legs DS games" the entering point could be higher.

It'll be interesting to see how the PS2/Wii Haruhi games do in comparison. The PS2 one comes out this month, what about the Wii title? Has it even been shown?

Lobster

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
You don't hear that very often, especially as an alternative to being published by Nintendo. How do you figure?

Just seeing how well it was pushed by SEGA in PAL land on a week to week basis (NA too but we only get to see monthly rankings) and yet Japan rejected it.

Could be wrong and its Japan rejecting the game rather than Nintendo not pushing it as much as SEGA did.

Jonnyram

Lobster, it's hard for me to imagine a Mario-related game NOT published by Nintendo, in Japan. I guess in Europe Sonic is considerably more popular than here in Japan, though. Megadrive vs SNES was always a close fight back in the UK.

Lobster

Banned
Guess so. There are too many reasons that could be used as to why Mario and Sonic didn't do aswell in Japan as it did in Europe.

We won't ever find out anyway unless someone is able to contact an alternate universe or something.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
The PSP talk made me check the release list, now I shall show you the January PSP Release List!

01/03 - Nothing

01/10 - Zero Shiki Kanjou Sentouki Ni (Global A)

01/17 - Nothing

01/24 - Lumines II (The Best Collection) (Q Entertainment)
01/24 - World Soccer Winning Eleven Ubiquitous Edition 2008 (Konami)
01/24 - Yggdra Union (Sting)

01/31 - Daisenryaku VII Exceed (System Soft)
01/31 - Need for Speed ProStreet (EA Games)
01/31 - Sega Rally Revo (Sega)

If you want to see any PSP game on top30, looks like you should start wishing for Monster Hunter Portable 2 to show up! :lol

Your seriously think WE2008 can't even hit top30?

Maybe even Yggdra Union can hit top30 too.

And don't forget the Gundam game and Musou OROCHI in February.

Grampasso

Moor-Angol said:
Nice work, Donny.
Honestly 150k for #100 is really good, and probably due to some "hidden long legs DS games" the entering point could be higher.
Yes, I definitely think so too. And NSMB at #6 is freaking awesome considering at 2007 beginning it had already been out for 7 months (may 2006, right?)

Edit: Does Yggdra Union PSP have extra content or it's just a plain port from the GBA game?

Grampasso said:
Edit: Does Yggdra Union PSP have extra content or it's just a plain port from the GBA game?

NEW characters, scenarios, opening movie, battle animations, tactics cards, voice-over, various collection modes

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lobster said:
We won't ever find out anyway unless someone is able to contact an alternate universe or something.

If GAF ruled the world:
"Scientists today have made contact with a parallel universe. The overlord French rulers of parallel earth have consented to a five question interview as a way of encouraging dialog between the worlds. First question: In your universe where Mario and Sonic was published by SEGA in Japan, did it do better than here? Second question: Is parallel universe Tabris a Nintendo fanboy? Third question: In the parallel universe, does the Trix rabbit get all the Trix to himself? Fourth question: What was the impact of the Warnes Bros exclusive HD-DVD announcement in the parallel universe? Fifth question: What's Final Fantasy VII Remake like?"

nli10

Stumpokapow said:
If GAF ruled the world:
"Scientists today have made contact with a parallel universe. The overlord French rulers of parallel earth have consented to a five question interview as a way of encouraging dialog between the worlds. First question: In your universe where Mario and Sonic was published by SEGA in Japan, did it do better than here? Second question: Is parallel universe Tabris a Nintendo fanboy? Third question: In the parallel universe, does the Trix rabbit get all the Trix to himself? Fourth question: What was the impact of the Warnes Bros exclusive HD-DVD announcement in the parallel universe? Fifth question: What's Final Fantasy VII Remake like?"

Curious penguin has visited said world and:

1: No - Europe is obsessed with sports and the trailer has pure game-play footage making it the kids game of choice over Xmas, on the kids console of choice. Sales were similar in Japan parallel universe, although pre-orders were higher due to free Sonic key chain.
2: Too early to tell
3: No - Trix are indeed for kids
4: Shrek being HD DVD only decided the format war
5: Just as bad as the original (I keed).

Hail Xenu!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Surely if it's the parallel universe then people would consider FFVII the bastard child and they'd all be clamoring for a Mystic Quest remake.

Also, Bubsy the Bobcat would be the final third party character in Smash Bros. Brawl.

felipeko

Totally unrelated, but sales-age... Does anyone knows which sold more Worldwide:
Tekken 3 or Super Smash Bros. (64)?

Grampasso said:
Yes, I definitely think so too. And NSMB at #6 is freaking awesome considering at 2007 beginning it had already been out for 7 months (may 2006, right?)

sure, and don't forget nSMB is becoming the biggest top seller game in Japan since (its father) Super Mario Bros, 5mln units sold... that's incredible

the only bad thing about last year, compared to 2006, is the decreased number of games which sold more than 1mln units, even if in latest weeks of the year we got 3 million sellers (Mario Party Wii, DS and Dragon Quest 4)

donny2112

DarkMehm said:
Yes. Sales go down on the last week of december and up again on the next week.

It's typically kid-accessible titles that see the bump in the first week of December, as they usually got money for New Year's and, then, go out and spend it.

donny2112

MisterHero said:
4.89 million to 2.7 million (US only for Tekken 3)

Tekken 3 sold 1.2 million in Japan. With the U.S.+Japan, SSB leads by ~300K. If Tekken 3 outsold SSB by more than 300K in the rest of the world, then Tekken 3 is higher than SSB.

felipeko

donny2112 said:
Tekken 3 sold 1.2 million in Japan. With the U.S.+Japan, SSB leads by ~300K. If Tekken 3 outsold SSB by more than 300K in the rest of the world, then Tekken 3 is higher than SSB.
So probably Tekken (given PS advantage on "other") but we will never know, right?

Thanks for the answers.:D

jessmo24

Banned
Me and my buddy are having a disagreement on this isssue.

he cant see how wii LTD sales have surpassed the 360s ww numbers.

and since microsfot has released a press release saying they are at 17.5 million WW and 200,000 past the wii of course gospel

do you have a breakdown of total japanese,total Us and even a decent estimate of ww sales for 360 and wii??

Lobster

Banned
donny2112 said:

You mean leads 990K right?

1.2m+2.7m-4.89m=990K

loosus

Banned
Japan knows what it's up when it comes to Mario game quality! Hell, if Japan didn't have such ass backwards tastes in everything else, I'd even say it sells better because they know it's a better game than Galaxy!

Lobster said:

1.2m+2.7m-4.89m=990K

Yeah, 1.2 + 2.7 is 3.9. :)

Even so, it is likely that Tekken 3 sold more than SSB because of how well the PSX did in "Other". It seems reasonable to assume that it'd sell at least a million in Europe given the system's success there and the sales in the US and Japan... but without actual numbers yeah, it's only a guess.

Sharp

loosus said:
Japan knows what it's up when it comes to Mario game quality! Hell, if Japan didn't have such ass backwards tastes in everything else, I'd even say it sells better because they know it's a better game than Galaxy!
And if I didn't know that you had such ass backwards tastes in everything, I'd say that your belief that NSMB is a better game than Galaxy was confusing, or even shocking.

fresquito

Lobster said:
Guess so. There are too many reasons that could be used as to why Mario and Sonic didn't do aswell in Japan as it did in Europe.

I'm guessing it has to do with Wii Fit eating sales off Mario & Sonic, since somehow they catter to a similar chunk of the market.

felipeko

Lobster said:

1.2m+2.7m-4.89m=990K
donny2112 said:
I meant what I said.
I think he is using NPD and Famitsu numbers.. They are (at least Famitsu) a little lower than wkipedia...

donny2112 said:
US totals as of November (NPD):

360: 7,893,404
WII: 6,019,795
I go every NPD thread but i hardly check the LTD, and damn, it's getting closer... It will overtake soon...

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Jokeropia said:
US totals as of November (NPD):

360: 7,893,404
WII: 6,019,795

Japanese totals as of December 23 (Media-Create):

WII: 4,463,951
360: 499,037

Japan + US latest numbers:

WII: 10,483,746
360: 8,392,441

There are no complete numbers for Europe, but Wii has passed 360 in the UK (360's best EU market) and has a huge lead (+1,000,000 to 500,000) in France. Wii also leads in Germany.

UK, France and Germany are the three biggest markets in Europe.
Wii also surpassed X360 in Spain which is another big market in Europe.

starship said:
Wii also surpassed X360 in Spain which is another big market in Europe.
That can only mean that 360 sold 6m+ in Scandinavia and eastern Europe. There's simply no other way to interpret this information.

Well you got to hand it down to MS, with their 17.7m (shipped) announcement they seem to have persuaded the denser part of video gaming fans that they actually sold that much (or are coming close to it) and are having success in Europe. Kudos :lol .

Top Bottom