• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: heads rolling at Sony for the cancellation of The Last of Us Online after 4 years in development

Bartski

Gold Member

Naughty Dog factions game was in development for something like 4 years, with a team in the hundreds. Like that is an expensive proposition for something that was a miss, and by that, I mean that project like getting cancelled was not a bloodless endeavor; there were some heads rolling at Sony as a result of that one.

PeteBull

Gold Member
godzilla-let-them-fight.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
They should have just packed a normal multiplayer mode like they did with TLOU, that stuff was very fun and even original.

Don't know how the fuck you spend 4 years working on an mp mode only to end up not releasing anything.

jm89

Whose head is rolling?

People in the studio who were pushed my some exec? Or the exec?

The answer should be the exec.

And if it's the guys at the top like herman or whoever at the else at the top level, that's the head that should roll.

Cause last i remeber factions 2 was supposed to be simple and then scope increased, just inline with sonys GAAS push.

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Finally some accountability. You waste fucking 4 years spending tons of money to cancel the damn project and still think everything will be OK?

I hope Neil Cuckman is on the list. Look at this shit:
-Was In development for ~4 years
-With a team in the hundreds"
-An expensive project

This is fucking insane. Team of hundred, expensive project and you still cancel. This guy fucking deserve to be fired.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
It was so bad Neil moved into movies!

I dunno, there were raised eyebrows using your distinguishing studio to try something they've never done before. They should have handed the ip off if they were going to do this imo. The whole concept sounded daft tbh.

Anyway......

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've been saying for years that this was a much bigger deal than ND claimed it was and they were lying when they said they put barely any time and resources into it. It was obviously their next major project after TLOU2 and they spent years and tens of millions of dollars (at least) on it. They even said it was a much bigger project than they initially anticipated, and it failed.

It likely cost them an actual game release on PS5, a Sony console without a ND game is like Saturn without Sonic but here we are.

Last edited:

Tomi

What the hell you doing
STOP WASTING RESOURCES ON STUPID GAAS GAMES!!!
WE DONT WANT THEM, THEY WILL FLOP. ( check Concord if you dont understand what i wanna say... )
START INVEST ONLY IN QUALITY SINGLE PLAYER GAMES - Elden Ring is one good example ( and no i dont mean on Ubisoft garbage btw )

Act now!

diffusionx

Gold Member
What the hell you doing
STOP WASTING RESOURCES ON STUPID GAAS GAMES!!!
WE DONT WANT THEM, THEY WILL FLOP. ( check Concord if you dont understand what i wanna say... )
START INVEST ONLY IN QUALITY SINGLE PLAYER GAMES - Elden Ring is one good example ( and no i dont mean on Ubisoft garbage btw )

Act now!
The original Factions mode was a tacked on thing that was well designed and much better than it should have been. If ND had just done that and maybe beefed it up a little and threw it in with TLOU2, they could have had a genuine thing like SP did with Ghost of Tsushima. But ND got really arrogant and stupid and Sony leadership (Jim Ryan etc.) was so in love with the accolades they were getting that they gave them too much rope. Sad!

Last edited:

Vlodril

Damn Neil hurt some people really bad. The constant whining about him. Let it go. Funnily enough he seems to go from success to success too.

Personally i would like some more Uncharted. Love TLOU but the summer adventure feeling that Uncharted had is a nice change from all the doom and gloom of TLOU.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Damn Neil hurt some people really bad. The constant whining about him. Let it go. Funnily enough he seems to go from success to success too.

Personally i would like some more Uncharted. Love TLOU but the summer adventure feeling that Uncharted had is a nice change from all the doom and gloom of TLOU.

Neil Cuckman is one of the worst things to happen at Naughty Dog, dude think's he's Kojima

Last edited:
Top Bottom