• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schrier "Xbox is a 'mess' right now, Plans change every year, Teasing "Handheld" right now"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"Xbox is such a mess right now, I feel like their plan is changing every single year. Right now they're talking about teasing handheld over and over again but who knows? A year ago, they were saying Indiana Jones was never coming to PlayStation so like, they change their minds every month. They're just a disaster over there, it's really sad. "

Time stamped

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Frustrated World Cup GIF

TxKnight7

Seriously why doesn't Microsoft make a Handheld that runs Windows and has Steam on it, etc.? This way, the device can succeed and you can make a lot of money from it, especially if it has powerful spec. I've been thinking about buying a portable device for a long time, but I'm waiting for something really powerful!, and I'm ready to buy it. I can imagine running all of Microsoft's games on it, as well as Sony games, Switch games, a PS3 emulator, and a PS4 emulator with Bloodborne, etc.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Seriously why doesn't Microsoft make a Handheld that runs Windows and has Steam on it, etc.? This way, the device can succeed and you can make a lot of money from it, especially if it has powerful spec. I've been thinking about buying a portable device for a long time, but I'm waiting for something really powerful!, and I'm ready to buy it. I can imagine running all of Microsoft's games on it, as well as Sony games, Switch games, a PS3 emulator, and a PS4 emulator with Bloodborne, etc.

Probably because what you're describing would cost like $1,500.

Xbox has been in a mess since Peter Moore left (I still believe due to the RROD catastrophe) and Don Mattrick took the reins.

They coasted through the Xbox One generation due to the goodwill from the 360 days, but that goodwill is gone now.

They’re the Ubisoft of platform holders.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Why would Microsoft's device be any better than the ones already in the market? Until AMD releases a more powerful APU, all devices will be about the same.

Last edited:
Because Steam and Windows are open platforms, and that means that handheld would be able to run all sorts of shit that Microsoft would never, ever greenlight in a million years.

Can you imagine the fallout if some parent found their kid playing Anime Rape Simulator 5000 on their Xbox portable?

Not to mention that having a walled garden where you alone get to decide what people can buy and play and get a cut from every sale is the entire point of modern consoles. Why would Microsoft sell a portable with thousands of games they won't ever see a single cent from?

Last edited:
“A year ago, they were saying Indiana Jones was never coming to PlayStation so like, they change their minds every month”

I firmly believe that…

- The acquisition of Bethesda’s and Activision was an attempt to “win the console war”

- Satya Nadella made an ultimatum, if Starfield doesn’t result in rapid growth of console sales and Gamepass then we go third party

- Starfield not moving the needle resulted in Nadella getting his way

- Phil made it very clear, they lost the digital library generation to PS4, now the market has “calcified” preventing Xbox event competing with, let alone overtaking Sony

Last edited:
I mean, let's be honest... The gaming industry as of right now is a mess.
Agreed. Xbox is obviously a huge mess but the western AAA gaming industry in general is a fucking joke and has been for a good few years at this point. I'm back to playing games that came out a few years back and outside of a couple of notable titles I have little interest in AAA gaming. It's all the same recycled shite with absolutely no innovation.

Last edited:
Man if they don't do a handheld then Microsoft just be talking to be part of the conversation it would be a huge missed opportunity

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
They're obviously going through a huge change, but it hasn't been changing every month. They pretty much spelled out what they were doing in February and it hasn't changed. Everyone knows they're going to trickle out the exclusives to Playstation and put stuff everywhere. They're working on a handheld and a "console." They're working on forward compatibility to the new hardware, which Bond just repeated the other day at TGS.

Fake

Gold Member
Is this cunk get paid to said obvious things?

We don't need your confirmation to know about this. Is pretty much knowed.

Agreed. Xbox is obviously a huge mess but the AAA gaming industry in general is a fucking joke and has been for a good few years at this point. I'm back to playing games that came out a few years back and outside of a couple of notable titles I have little interest in AAA gaming. It's all the same recycled shite with absolutely no innovation.

Correction, it’s western AAA that’s a fucking joke

Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda are all churning out crap.

Nintendo, Capcom, FromSoftware, SquareEnix, Namco and western indies are all churning out bangers right now.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Retool every game you have in development and target the next box with those titles exclusively . Hand every developer you value working at your studios a proper contract. Give them all an extra couple of years to polish the shit out of said titles. Release them only on said box and not on gamepass for 6 months minimum.

Profit.

Would cost a ton, but thats what it will take to save xbox.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

"Xbox is such a mess right now, who knows, I feel like their plan is changing every single year. Right now they're talking about teasing handheld over and over again but who knows? Like a year ago, they were saying Indiana Jones was never coming to PlayStation so like... they change their minds every month. They're just a disaster over there, they have no plan whatsoever, it's really sad. "

... and then: silence. Followed by an eventual attempt at what felt like a little damage control.

I dont get it.

I know.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Retool every game you have in development and target the next box with those titles exclusively . Hand every developer you value working at your studios a proper contract. Give them all an extra couple of years to polish the shit out of said titles. Release them only on said box and not on gamepass for 6 months minimum.

Profit.

No Sherlock. That wouldn't save Xbox. It's already dead. You can't save what's dead.

MikeM

Gold Member
The lack of exclusivity kills the Xbox brand. Then flip flopping business plans every 2-3 years doesn’t allow for anything to materialize. You can pivot strategy all you want, but at the end of the day if the foundation is shit then the house won’t be solid.

Profit.

This became false as soon as they acquired ABK. Doing all that to stay 3rd in the console space won’t pay their big bills or be enough to please shareholders. They need to be a huge publisher everywhere cause they purchased huge publishers.

clarky

Gold Member
This became false as soon as they acquired ABK. Doing all that to stay 3rd in the console space won’t pay their big bills or be enough to please shareholders. They need to be a huge publisher everywhere cause they purchased huge publishers.
How can it become false as soon as they bought ABK? I literally just typed it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom