• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z removes his albums from Apple Music and Spotify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This is why you buy music rather than rely on subscription services.

Compbros

He is, and it is a universal sentiment. People just want to be the first to drop a hot zinger in a thread to get Gaf cred.

He's an all time great, as far as these days he's pretty good on his best day, mediocre on most days, and unlistenable on the rest of the days. If he wasn't Jay-z and came with the bars/flow he has these days most wouldn't be paying attention to it.

Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint and American Gangster were fantastic. Black and Hard Knock Life were great too.

That being said, Jay Z's old music is available practically everywhere. Streaming mainly comes in handy for newer music with me and if I'm in the mood for some American Gangster, I'll just find other means if necessary, which I highly doubt will be.

Now I just want to see Beyonce, Kanye, Daft Punk, Madonna, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Usher and the rest of the gang do the same and watch it all be pointless for fun.

Best wishes.

Compbros

LOL people clowning on Jay-Z as a mediocre rapper. What a joke.

"Cake, cake cake cake cake cake
500 million, I got a pound cake
Niggas is frontin', that's upside-down cake
Get 'em a red nose, they clown cakes
They shoulda never let you 'round cake
Look at my neck, I got a carrot cake
Now here's the icing on the cake
Cake, cake cake cake cake
I'm just gettin' started, oh yeah we got it bitch
I've done made more millionaires than the lotto did
Dame made millions, Bigg made millions
Ye made millions, Just made millions
Lyor made millions, Cam made millions
Beans tell you if he wasn't in his feelings
I'm back in my bag
My eyes bloodshot but my jet don't lag
A pair of Jordan 3's tryna chase this cash
Gucci air bag just in case we crash
Uh, last night was mad trill
I'm fresh out of advil, Jesus grab the wheel"

I mean...

The guy is mediocre, the blueprint is still in my top 10 rap albums all time but he fell off hard.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
In case you aren't joking, or other people are unaware, Jay-Z also had a "The Black Album"
Jay-z-black-album.jpg

I'm pretty sure the joke was that the Jay Z one sold 13 million fewer copies in the US.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Well Vol1 and 2 and reasonable doubt are still there which is good

Shame about american gangsta and black album, and was annoyed about boueprint 1 but that got taken off a while ago.

He'll be back. Tidal aint lasting long som

Edit: Watch the thrones gone too? Wtf. Too many great albums gone

cordy

Banned
If you've never listened to Jay and want his best 5 albums listen to

- Reasonable Doubt
- In My Lifetime: Vol 1
- The Blueprint
- The Black Album
- American Gangster

If you don't like Jay after listening to those? Maybe he's not for you. At least give those 5 a shot.

stn

I ditched rap years ago but I do still enjoy the following Jay-Z albums:

The Blueprint
The Black Album
Reasonable Doubt

Those three are all fantastic. I haven't bothered to listen to any of his newer material.

Gorillaz

Blueprint has been off stream services for awhile anyway right?

Not surprised, however I kno Angelus won't take this sitting down. He is the biggest Jay stan on this forum.

"Cake, cake cake cake cake cake
500 million, I got a pound cake
Niggas is frontin', that's upside-down cake
Get 'em a red nose, they clown cakes
They shoulda never let you 'round cake
Look at my neck, I got a carrot cake
Now here's the icing on the cake
Cake, cake cake cake cake
I'm just gettin' started, oh yeah we got it bitch
I've done made more millionaires than the lotto did
Dame made millions, Bigg made millions
Ye made millions, Just made millions
Lyor made millions, Cam made millions
Beans tell you if he wasn't in his feelings
I'm back in my bag
My eyes bloodshot but my jet don't lag
A pair of Jordan 3's tryna chase this cash
Gucci air bag just in case we crash
Uh, last night was mad trill
I'm fresh out of advil, Jesus grab the wheel"

I mean...

The guy is mediocre, the blueprint is still in my top 10 rap albums all time but he fell off hard.

That logic is flawed, you aren't counting his past.

He's an all time great, as far as these days he's pretty good on his best day, mediocre on most days, and unlistenable on the rest of the days. If he wasn't Jay-z and came with the bars/flow he has these days most wouldn't be paying attention to it.

The most recent song with Jay on it that I know of is Drug Dealers Anonymous from last year and he beat Pusha on the track imo, so...

But my response was more about people dismissing his entire body of work, which is just ignorant or trolling.

That's my biggest problem with these music service.

Me, as a mere music lover, don't want to engage in the politics of the music industry.

But that's all the music industry is. Where do you think all these rivalries and fights between artists come from? They're just marketing.

a916

Right now, today, Jay is mediocre. All time he's one of the greats, in this moment he isn't good.

But the thread is talking about his music being removed... so that means Reasonable Doubt/Blueprint/Black Album.

So in this moment isn't all that relevant.

Actually, that's exactly how it should be working.

No it very much isn't. iTunes Match will upload literally anything you have, I have a library full of live bootlegs that are most definitely on iTunes or Apple Music and yet they play just fine.

Sesha

That's my biggest problem with these music service.

Me, as a mere music lover, don't want to engage in the politics of the music industry.

That's one of the benefits of mostly only listening to relatively small bands. I don't have to worry about the content owners' egos. And barring societal breakdown or some other disaster I don't have to worry about everything digital disappearing.

This is why you buy music rather than rely on subscription services.

Screw that. I love too much music, and I ain't made of money.

Cirerus

Let's see what I can do now:

a) Change my preferred music service subscription.
b) Subscribe to both and deal to have to chage between apps and increased cost in my end.
c) Buy the CDs or another physical media and rip them (if I still have my CD player somewhere)
d) Pirate it
e) Never listen to anything made by Jay Z

Letter "e" is very appealing

Compbros

But the thread is talking about his music being removed... so that means Reasonable Doubt/Blueprint/Black Album.

So in this moment isn't all that relevant.

The post I originally quoted was about him being a mediocre rapper. If you were to ask me if Jay-Z is a mediocre rapper I would say "yes". I've also pointed out he's had more years of mediocrity or worse than good.

IrishNinja

Walking home from work, y'all have about one more hour to get y'all shit together *Kendrick voice*.

feel free to go in with this multiquoting style my dude

His flow is garbage.

feel free to start with this guy

What do you listen to, then?

straight basura

Google Play Music won
except lackiing Girls Girls Girls remix

real talk i love that remix, so cool that he got rick the ruler, q-tip & biz just for hook work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom