• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z removes his albums from Apple Music and Spotify

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my biggest problem with these music service.

Me, as a mere music lover, don't want to engage in the politics of the music industry.

Yeah. Unless you own a physical copy or an MP3 file, you're at the mercy of the whim of all these streaming services. I'd rather not have a cloud-based collection that fluctuates unpredictably.

DOWN

Banned
It's been 12 years since his last good album, meh. With that said it sucks because even if you push your copy of his albums to Apple Music so that you can listen to them on all your devices they still won't play. That's annoying because I listen to Reasonable Doubt, BP, Black Album all the time.
? That's weird. That's not generally the case. Usually if you have a file from iTunes or random download and have iCloud music library turned on, it will work fine streaming that file to all your devices

Bronx-Man

Banned
Hov's been washed for a decade now, but saying he was never good to being with?

jake-no.gif

Guevara

The irony is:

They seem to think I'm going to start subscribing to multiple music services so I can hear everything.

But if content gets split up between multiple services, I'm more likely to subscribe to none of them.

dc89

I wonder what Kanye thinks about Watch The Throne being removed?

Tidal needs to die already. He's flogging a dead horse.

Kaladin

Tidal is what's wrong with the streaming game these days. All these exclusive artists and albums and shit.

When you limit where you can put your music up, you're only costing yourself money. I mean, existing fans can't hear your music, new fans can't discover your music. If they do, they discover it's not where they listen to music and you likely don't gain a new fan.

Phased

A good question, is there ANY artist that could make people switch to Tidal beyond the free subscription period they offer?

Kanye couldn't do it (long term anyways, lots of people signed up for the free trial when Pablo released) and that album was hyped as fuck.

Kaladin

A good question, is there ANY artist that could make people switch to Tidal beyond the free subscription period they offer?

Kanye couldn't do it (long term anyways, lots of people signed up for the free trial when Pablo released) and that album was hyped as fuck.

If you're a big fan of an exclusive artist and streaming is the way you listen to music, yeah....I can see someone switching to Tidal.

But the thing is, most big fans have other ways of listening to their favorite artists music.....so yeah.

FStubbs

The irony is:

They seem to think I'm going to start subscribing to multiple music services so I can hear everything.

But if content gets split up between multiple services, I'm more likely to subscribe to none of them.

The way the movie/TV industry has treated Netflix, they need to learn this lesson as well.

It could have worked in a different era where musical tastes were more centralized around fewer artists.

But today there are niches and niches within niches so I can't see someone doing that, honestly. I mean, for a second I thought about signing up for Apple Music because it had a couple artists I couldn't get on Spotify but I just bought a couple of their albums instead.

I would say someone like Adele but I'm guessing a lot of the folks who listen to her are likely to buy her albums instead of stream.

btkadams

It's been 12 years since his last good album, meh. With that said it sucks because even if you push your copy of his albums to Apple Music so that you can listen to them on all your devices they still won't play. That's annoying because I listen to Reasonable Doubt, BP, Black Album all the time.
How could this possibly be the case? I have plenty of music that isn't on Apple Music but I've uploaded it and can listen to it all fine.

Dre3001

This is a pointless move. Anyone who is computer literate can literally find any Jay-Z album in 5 minutes and download it illegally if they wanted to. Apple Music and Spotify were merely a convenience.
People aren't going to run to Tidal for his music instead they will be pirating if the music it isn't readily available.

Also what is with the revisionist history where Jay-z is a scrub?

Reasonable doubt, Blueprint, Black album, Vol. 2, etc
Almost everything up to the Black album is fire with very few misses.

LQX

Pays to be your boss. I still do not understand why so many artist basically sell their souls to these labels and thus have no control over their own catalog of music.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Imagine buying music in the year 2017.

You should buy music for artist you really wish to support btw

Albums aren't particularly expensive. $10 or less for most major releases, even with physical CDs.

Maybe I'm old school, but songs I want to keep on a permanent basis are purchased on compact disc and ripped into iTunes.

This is a pointless move. Anyone who is computer literate can literally find any Jay-Z album in 5 minutes and download it illegally if they wanted to. Apple Music and Spotify were merely a convenience and won't stop people from pirating if the music it isn't readily available.

Or if they want to do it legally they can just buy the ultra-cheap CD's online and rip the CD.

Which he gets nothing from.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I got 6 months of free Tidal.

Ridiculous that it doesn't even have taskbar controls when minimized.

Spotify has a lossless music tier on the way, making Tidal a corpse in a shark tank.

IrishNinja

Pays to be your boss. I still do not understand why so many artist basically sell their souls to these labels and thus have no control over their own catalog of music.

i don't think many have a choice when doing so, sadly

I got 6 months of free Tidal.

Ridiculous that it doesn't even have taskbar controls when minimized.

Spotify has a lossless music tier on the way, making Tidal a corpse in a shark tank.

ah, that's cool to hear about spotify though

jwhit28

Do you have to own your catalog to be able to do this? I thought the list of artist that own their entire catalog was very very short. I remember Def Jam giving LL Cool J the rights to all his music being a very big deal.

Lkr

No Watch The Thrones pisses me off. Fuck you, Jay.

At least HAM is still on Spotify.

i tried to listen to watch the throne at the gym today and was very upset. i have it on an external hard drive somewhere and i can upload it to iTunes music library but fuck man this sucks

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And that's why I could never completely rely on streaming services for my music needs. Suddenly some shit you enjoy is just gone. They're great for discovering new stuff and whatnot, but for the stuff I really love I'll keep buying CDs and ripping them. The combination of Play Music All Access and my own uploaded library is sweet as hell.

jetsetrez

I don't really care since I have almost all of his albums in my library, but this is a garbage move. Stop trying to strong arm people with your (and others') art to use your platform that people don't want to use.

Making him look like the Metallica of the subscription age. Which sucks because I love older Jay and older Metallica.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wait, what?

That's bullshit.

So you can't even play your own copies of his albums even if you originally purchased them from a competing service like Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom