• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z removes his albums from Apple Music and Spotify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tidal is actually pretty cool for lossless streaming, but that's about it. And they did have a good student discount.

I'll stick with Apple Music thanks.

Wait, WHAT

THE MF'ER TOOK DOWN WATCH THE THRONE?!

tumblr_o1hq4gGqQF1sj4xr4o3_500.0.gif

WAIT

NOH

FUCK

? That's weird. That's not generally the case. Usually if you have a file from iTunes or random download and have iCloud music library turned on, it will work fine streaming that file to all your devices

Yeah that's not how that should be working. iTunes Match is different from Apple Music.

Having said that, I have had some fucky stuff happen with it like matching a Purity Ring song up as a bad rap remix to it (that I couldn't fix without disabling iTunes Match...), so it wouldn't surprise me if it's screwed up at the moment.

The only Jay Z albums I have are the ones that Microsoft gave out for free a few years ago. I downloaded all the albums they gave out and uploaded them to my OneDrive, so I have Blueprint III and Watch the Throne. However, I wouldn't be sad if I didn't have them. Jay Z seems to think this is 2003 and he's something more than Beyonce's husband, and I don't really like her music either.

Dabanton

I already pay for Spotify Premium so have no interest in tidal. Plus I already have all of his albums backed up from my CD's

Except the trash that is BP2

Although I see all Yeezy's stuff is still up on Spotify. Which is all I care about bye Jigga.

Bounceounce is gonna Takeover all of y'all when he/she reads this.
Just read this, there's so much fucking false bullshit/narratives in this thread, and just absurd disrespect ahhhg I'm triggered.
I'll be coming with the bars after work (so at least seven hours from now, quote storm on the way).
Jay is easily one of the most disrespected rappers I've ever seen, so much of his skill/accomplishments get trashed/disregarded because of imaginary issues with his character and narratives that were out of his control/unfavorable circumstances.
It's "he" btw.

How could this possibly be the case? I have plenty of music that isn't on Apple Music but I've uploaded it and can listen to it all fine.

If your ID matches what's in Apple DB it prevents it is my guess? Because I just checked and i can't play a few of Jay's songs.

That's my biggest problem with these music service.

Me, as a mere music lover, don't want to engage in the politics of the music industry.

Well, you're gonna have to. That's the way it works these days. Nothing is stopping people from getting his discovery through nefarious means if they want it that bad, which I don't think people do.

And nothing of value was lost.

Joke post?

Jay Z still thinks its the time when black album came out.

Yeah, I would be mad too.

American Gangsta is underappreciated!

Yeah, it's truly an amazing soundtrack. Also best of both worlds with ya boy Kels!

TheMan

as a rap outsider, i thought jayz was still considered to be one of the greats. guess that's not a universal feeling.

as a rap outsider, i thought jayz was still considered to be one of the greats. guess that's not a universal feeling.
He is, but Jay Z has a very unique status/reputation that hurts his standing/legacy, I'll be able to detail this/explain this response for you after work.

Zel3

Too late. No doubt he's made some bangers in his career but he's always had the best producers giving him their best beats. I've never got is GOAT status
That's fine, atleast you admit he has bangers but to say nothing of value is lost is crazy to me.
Not since 2003 besides American Gangster
Ok so most of his albums leading up to the black album and American gangster, that's still a discography most rappers wish they had.

He is. But he's also kind of a dick. And his recent work ain't all that great anyway. If I wanted to go back and listen to some quality Jay-Z, it wouldn't be that hard.

Also I'm on Google Play so lol.

He is. But he's also kind of a dick. And his recent work ain't all that great anyway. If I wanted to go back and listen to some quality Jay-Z, it wouldn't be that hard.

Also I'm on Google Play so lol.
Myth that's damaged his legacy beyond repair and leads to absurd attacks on his lyrical ability when they have nothing to do with each other.
For the most part.

bman94

I don't like modern Jay-Z as much as the next person but y'all on some other shit if you think some of his old shit ain't up there with the greats.

I wonder what the end game is here.

I doubt he expects this to drive growth of Tidal, since even the release of Pablo on Tidal didn't do much to move the needle (as far as I'm aware. Correct me if I'm wrong).

Are they looking to sell Tidal and trying to beef up its value? Does Jay-Z's discography really add all that much value? Only if its exclusivity increases subscriptions, which isn't highly likely.

Maybe it's just because Jay-Z is dissatisfied with the amount of money being paid per stream. But if that's the case, why is his music still on Google and Amazon (according to posts in this thread), which both pay artists more than Spotify but less than Apple?

I honestly don't get the purpose of this move unless there's some behind the scenes shit we're yet to hear about.

EYEL1NER

I don't have any complaints with Jay's music but everyone's comments ITT regarding expiring licenses and multiple competing streaming services echo how I feel about the current music streaming situation. I just went into the Amazon Prime Music app earlier to listen to an Iron Maiden song I had downloaded onto my iPad and all of their stuff was removed at some point recently. I signed up for the 1+3 month trial for a Groove Music and went and listened to it there but it was still annoying. I have been without a computer for a while and have had need of one for other reasons but this didn't make me want to sign up for any other services (or pay for Groove once my trial runs out. I already found a song within five minutes of starting using it that I wanted to listen to and couldn't: Aaliyah's "Are You That Somebody"); it just makes me want to get a new laptop and start ripping all of my CDs for listening to across all of my devices.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I just got free 3-month trial for Tidal so I guess I'm gonna listen to Jay Z for the first time in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom