• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Jarrett out as GFW CCO & Anthem looking to sell Impact Wrestling

Sephzilla

gfw-1499361226-800.png

Well, that didn't seem to last very long. I guess LOLTNA is still alive and well.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/09/06/jeff-jarrett-global-force-wrestling

Jeff Jarrett is out as Global Force Wrestling's Chief Creative Officer, and the move has the potential to have a wide-reaching impact within the professional wrestling industry.

GFW released a statement that Jarrett needed to focus on personal issues. When asked for clarification on Jarrett's status, GFW's parent company, Anthem Sports and Entertainment, declined comment.

Jarrett's exit creates an entire realm of possibilities for GFW, which, up until 2017, was known as TNA Impact Wrestling.

GFW is hemorrhaging funds, and sources close to the situation have confirmed that Anthem is ready to withdraw itself from the wrestling industry and sell GFW. Anthem even needed to gut the Fight Network in order to finance GFW.

Withdraw from the wrestling industry if old

FyreWulff

Apparently rumor is also Jeff retains the rights to the GFW name, so Jarrett could literally walk with the entire branding

but Anthem likes money so they'll probs sell the tape library to WWE.

Sephzilla

Apparently rumor is also Jeff retains the rights to the GFW name, so Jarrett could literally walk with the entire branding

Yeah the SI article touches upon this too, basically Anthem would be selling the entity formally known as TNA

Another wrinkle to the story is that Jarrett still owns the name of Global Force Wrestling, so Anthem would be selling Impact Wrestling.

WWE definitely benefits here the most from purchasing them and shutting them down for good. A lot of great character gimmicks are locked, and a lot of current/past WWE stars had great matches in TNA that they'd love to talk about.

Just merge TNA and NXT or something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
WWE should make a discount offer for Broken Matt

Sephzilla

Yeah Matt Hardy is probably begging Vince to buy Impact from Anthem now. Problem is that WWE would take on all of Impact's debts as well, which Vince probably wants no part of. WWE will likely wait for Impact to go broke and then raid the corpse.

slit

but Anthem likes money so they'll probs sell the tape library to WWE.

The branding is worth squat. Jeff gets nothing there.

rugioh

Banned
LMAO Bobby Lashley just put out an interview that made it sound like the switch to Anthem solved all of their financial worries. Feel bad for the talent, they really don't deserve to go through the ringer like this.

"Anybody spot me a 20?"

That owl sure knows how to work the hard camera

BiggNife

Like I said in the WrassleGAF thread, the only person I know who still watches Impact is my dad and even he thinks it sucks now. He'd rather watch WWE for AJ and the Hardys.

I hope WWE nabs the tape library at some point, as early TNA had good quality stuff I would rewatch - and they need it for a AJ and/or Joe Documentary which should happen in the next few years

I hope WWE nabs the tape library at some point, as early TNA had good quality stuff I would rewatch - and they need it for a AJ and/or Joe Documentary which should happen in the next few years

Yeah. With it basically being dead, and having no chance of offering competition to help make the current WWE product better, it's best that the library gets absorbed and ends up on the WWE Network. I'm sure there's some decent in ring stuff there at least, even if every time I gave TNA a chance it was shit.

BiggNife

Also Angle. A lot of people forget that he spent over half of his career there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah Matt Hardy is probably begging Vince to buy Impact from Anthem now. Problem is that WWE would take on all of Impact's debts as well, which Vince probably wants no part of. WWE will likely wait for Impact to go broke and then raid the corpse.

No they wouldn't.

They can buy it without it being subject to the debts. I mean, if they went bankrupt, the assets would get sold to pay those debts.

Things WWE would actually want:

* TNA (not GFW)'s tape library and the name to go along with it

* Some number of their talent contracts

* Broken Matt Gimmick

dream

The real story here, which Dave hinted at but nobody is talking about, is that Jeff--most likely because of Karen--is smoking crack cocaine again.

shaneo632

GFW as a brand is garbage anyway. The whole GFW Gold bullshit tainted it for many and made it even clearer how much of a joke Jarrett is in the business.

That said if the rumours about his alcoholism are true I hope he gets the help he needs. I just don't really want him being anywhere near Impact Wrestling.

The real story here, which Dave hinted at but nobody is talking about, is that Jeff--most likely because of Karen--is smoking crack cocaine again.

You got any sort of source for the crack thing? Like prior issues etc? I know he got in trouble for disabling the alcohol ignition limiter on his car, but not heard anything about drugs.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Justice for Matt Hardy.

Here's what I want:

1) GFW goes under.
2) Broken Matt returns
3) Year-long WWE Championship reign with free creative freedom.

So who is going to swoop in with that last second bailout to keep this sinking ship afloat?

It always happens.

How many times has TNA been at death's door?

Top Bottom