• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Jarrett out as GFW CCO & Anthem looking to sell Impact Wrestling

slabrock

Banned
wink.gif

qHz45PJ.gif

GFW announces streaming plans, new TV deals

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2017/9/6/16264194/gfw-announces-streaming-plans-new-tv-deals-rumors-anthem-trying-sell-impact

Global Force Wrestling Announces Global Broadcast and Digital Expansion Initiatives

NASHVILLE | TORONTO – Global Force Wrestling, a subsidiary of Anthem Sports & Entertainment Corp., announced today numerous global and digital expansion initiatives, including:

- Plans to launch the Global Wrestling Network, a multi-platform digital service designed to give fans around the world instant 24-hour access to the extensive GFW and IMPACT libraries.

- Plans to launch the IMPACT Wrestling Channel on Pluto TV, a 24-hour live feed of content on the leading free over-the-top (OTT) television service in the U.S.

- Extension with Pop TV in the U.S. to continue airing its flagship weekly show IMPACT on Thursday nights at 8:00 p.m. ET.

- Distribution deal with 7Sports, the sport business unit of the ProSiebenSat.1 Group, to bring IMPACT back to screens in Germany, Austria and Switzerland via ran FIGHTING.

IMPACT showcases top professional wrestling stars such as GFW Champion Eli Drake, Bobby Lashley, the high-flying X-Division, the lovely and lethal Knockouts, including Sienna, Rosemary and Gail Kim, plus talent from international partner promotions such as Johnny Impact, Naomichi Marufuji and El Hijo del Fantasma. The 3,000+ hour library features household industry names such as Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, Kurt Angle, Kevin Nash, Jeff Jarrett, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode and many more.

“These digital initiatives and broadcast agreements are a significant step forward for the Global Force Wrestling organization as we continue to expand the brand globally, making it available on more platforms and in more countries,” said Ed Nordholm, president of Global Force Wrestling. “Anthem is committed to broadening Global Force Wrestling’s footprint, as we work alongside international broadcast partners, digital platforms and professional wrestling promotions to bring our passionate fans a high-quality product that not only stands out in today’s media landscape, but continues to thrive into the future.”

Additional details about the launch of the Global Wrestling Network and IMPACT Wrestling Channel on Pluto TV will be revealed in the near future. For more information on Pluto TV, visit www.Pluto.tv.

“We are excited to extend our partnership with Anthem and remain the exclusive linear television home of IMPACT in the U.S.,” said David Mandell, COO of Pop. “IMPACT delivers over 100 hours of original programming per year on Pop with some of the best and most passionate fans in television. With our broad distribution across all major cable and satellite providers, as well as almost every new over-the-top bundle, including DirecTV Now, Sony Vue, Fubo TV, Hulu TV and YouTube TV, IMPACT fans have more options than ever to catch their favorite show every week.”

IMPACT will be available as part of the ran FIGHTING BLACK PASS for €3.99 per month at ranFIGHTING.de across Germany, Austria and Switzerland starting on Sept. 8, which includes a simulcast of IMPACT on ran FIGHTING’s 24/7 web channel, plus VOD access to IMPACT episodes and One Night Only specials. The service also gives customers the opportunity to purchase GFW’s premium annual pay-per-view events, including Bound for Glory and Slammiversary.

“The deal with ProSieben marks the second major European broadcaster to license IMPACT, including Spike UK earlier this year,” Nordholm added. “Coupled with the Pop renewal, our digital launches and significant increase in YouTube views, this reflects the increasing excitement and demand for GFW’s content.”

I looked up the current TNA heavyweight champion and the guy seems like someone who would be buried on Raw in a two minute match to someone like Adam Rose.

Justice for Matt Hardy.

Here's what I want:

1) GFW goes under.
2) Broken Matt returns
3) Year-long WWE Championship reign with free creative freedom.

WWE and creative freedom don't go well.

If the Hardy's want true creative freedom, just have Anthem sell it to them and have the two go from promotion to promotion.

At this point I'll believe it's done when it's in the ground covered in cement.

GFW as a brand is garbage anyway. The whole GFW Gold bullshit tainted it for many and made it even clearer how much of a joke Jarrett is in the business.

That said if the rumours about his alcoholism are true I hope he gets the help he needs. I just don't really want him being anywhere near Impact Wrestling.

You got any sort of source for the crack thing? Like prior issues etc? I know he got in trouble for disabling the alcohol ignition limiter on his car, but not heard anything about drugs.

It was back in 2004, looking it up it happened almost exactly 13 years ago. The sources of the story are all pretty much gone at this point so the best I got is a forum post of hte story.

http://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=20066

Jeff is the one guy who was blacklisted, based on him "holding up" Vince for $300,000 to drop the IC title to Chyna on his last night in the promotion (It was money he was owed and was usually paid out every 90 days- he demanded to get it immediatly).

Right and it was also JR's fault for overlooking the fact that Jeff's contract expired just before the PPV. It's similar bullshit Vince buried Warrior (among many others) for in their revisionist spin.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Maybe we can finally have broken Hardy again

tenor.gif

I never thought WWE would get a second chance of buying the TNA tape library, not after Anthem stepped in, but it seems like there could be a chance.

Go for it!

Shauni

Realistically if WWE were to buy TNA, the most that would happen would be the Hardy's getting the Broken gimmick again, some stars like AJ Styles getting his TNA accolades mentioned on WWE TV, and maybe confirmation that WWE Hall of Fame rings grant you super powers or whatever bullshit was in that Abyss story. Beyond that the promotion has nothing of value to WWE anymore.

What's that about the rings? I feel I have to know.

What's that about the rings? I feel I have to know.

Hulk Hogan gave Abyss his Hall of Fame ring and it allegedly gave Abyss "The Power of Hulkamania". Abyss then went on to follow Hogan around for a few months and beat up anyone who dared get in the Hulksters path

Jeff didn't even do anything that was nearly as bad as some that have returned, but Vince hates him and everything he stands for.

What's the story behind this one?

At the end of the day, Double J is a grown man who is responsible for his own actions. But holy shit is Karen an unbelievable shitshow. From almost getting Kurt killed, to going on a drunken rampage backstage at an Impact Wrestling taping, to belligerently trying to start a fight with Adam Scherr...this woman's life is not going to have a happy ending.

And this, too? I admit, I'm behind on my TNA history

looks like jim cornette picked a good time to join this sinking ship.

If you listen to the times JJ is bought up on Cornette's show, he kinda sweeps it under the rug. I personally think he does it out of respect for Jerry Jarret and his mom, who started him in the business

Shit son, if you wanna see Jeff Jarrett at TripleMania, just check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZRKLHKTnXY - go to 3 hours 39 mins for his entrance.

Holy fuck, he's fucked up! And whose genius idea was it to toss tortillas into the crowd?

Vyse24

I wish Taimapedia wasn't down, because so much needs to be added to LOLTNA.

In the meantime, if you ever want to read about nearly all the dumb shit that has gone over there since Day 1, here's the last known archive of LOLTNA: https://archive.is/AEOhe

Who in their right mind would buy TNA at this point? It's probably worth less than the gate at a ROH show.

If Vince really wanted the "Broken Hardy" thing, couldn't he just wait until TNA dies and there's nobody left to sue him if he starts using it? Or buy things piece meal from bankruptcy auctions? If there's really this much debt, I'm not sure it's worth taking all that on for some extra Network content and a gimmick that the fans will mark out for for a week before getting bored with it.

Wasn't that what made WCW so cheap for them back in the day, that their bigger stars were contracted to Time Warner so Vince didn't have to take on their salaries?

PudieRSC

I looked up the current TNA heavyweight champion and the guy seems like someone who would be buried on Raw in a two minute match to someone like Adam Rose.

That's always been a part of their appeal to me. They took EC3, who WWE probably doesn't even remember having, and made him a legit top star. They made Bully/Bubba a top heel and is still the only company that gave him a great singles run.

GFW has a ton of problems no doubt, but I felt they've done pretty well this past couple years at making new stars after their big ones left.

VoxPop

If Vince really wanted the "Broken Hardy" thing, couldn't he just wait until TNA dies and there's nobody left to sue him if he starts using it? Or buy things piece meal from bankruptcy auctions? If there's really this much debt, I'm not sure it's worth taking all that on for some extra Network content and a gimmick that the fans will mark out for for a week before getting bored with it.

Wasn't that what made WCW so cheap for them back in the day, that their bigger stars were contracted to Time Warner so Vince didn't have to take on their salaries?

Honestly the "Broken" gimmick is not good enough to buy TNA for imo. I can't even imagine the shitshow that is their backstage politics, debt and all these C-tier wrestlers. WWE did a surprisingly good job waiting it out and getting guys like AJ, Joe, Roode and the Hardys at their peak. I'm sure 90% of the casuals don't even know about the Broken gimmick so it's not a huge loss to them. They already get great pops even as the tired old Hardy Boyz.

There is nothing they're really missing out on if they don't buy TNA unlike WCW which had all the history and video library behind it. I don't think anyone is really clamoring to watch an episode of Impact on the network now or anytime in the future. It did suck that they didn't get some of those contracts though when WCW folded considering they were going into Mania at the time with the whole Invasion angle. But in the end, they got them all including the Stinger.

Sheroking

They don't own the Broken gimmick in the first place. There's a suit on-going between Matt and Reby & GFW over it and most of what we've heard says it's inevitable the Hardy's will win that suit. Until that's over, WWE has no reason to be involved or use it.

WWE wouldn't buy GFW/Impact anyway. They'd buy the tape library. Think every promotion they've absorbed BUT WCW.

Top Bottom