• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

dock

Is the tag editor the only way to create tags on the PS3?
Can't I import PNGs?

My only interest in the PC version is that it'll be hacked to add Yappie Feet, and someone will figure out how to import custom tags.

Still excited to get it on PS3 today though!

Aguirre

Is the tag editor the only way to create tags on the PS3?
Can't I import PNGs?

My only interest in the PC version is that it'll be hacked to add Yappie Feet, and someone will figure out how to import custom tags.

Still excited to get it on PS3 today though!

from what game is Yappie Feet from? i dont have it on my hdd

Is this what passes for reviews now? No mention of the music, no mention of the control options that disable the camera centring and then this.

I had played the same level seven times, instructed to follow a rival gang in order to tag their backs and chase them off my gang's turf. After an hour of chasing, and missing grinds, and being knocked over by the faster skaters, and colliding with level geometry — and watching giant pieces of the stage disappear and reappear in the distance — I had almost taken the other team out, only to miss a grind. I watched my jump sail past the rail and I rolled into the level exit. My skater was recovering, and refused to respond to my inputs. As I exited the level without completing it, I had to let my controller go — at high velocity, in the direction of the floor 10 feet away. That wasn't where I stopped playing, but at that point, I was finished with Jet Set Radio HD.

So basically he found the game too difficult or more likely he was a bit crap at playing it and declared it rubbish. I'll admit going back to games from 10 years ago can be painful, we don't realise how good controls are now or how streamlined games are but that level whilst difficult is fine. Games can have difficulty, they don't need to be the next COD where you are pulled through a story with little worry about failure or restarting a level.

I think people could argue that how do i know this isn't a terrible game having not played it. Well so far no one has said its a bad port, most have said its great but its the same game from 10 years ago. And whilst JSR did have some problems even then its still a great fun game to play. Its obvious most reviewers think this should play like THPS when its nothing like that. Its a platformer, not a skate boarding game.

dock

One of the biggest dangers of reviewing 'classic' games is that reviewers are often very impatient. They're on deadline, and they have little investment in the game, so they're not especially forgiving to difficult challenges.

Jet Set Radio definitely will require you to repeat areas over and over, which isn't so much of a problem if you're not on the clock.

I am looking forward to seeing some impressions from completely new players that buy it for the first time. Grinding has a lot of baggage from the decade since it was released, so it'll be cool to see what new players enjoy about it.

Personally, I can't wait to do the infinite grind on the bus station again! Last time I tried the dreamcast version I was fumbling this somewhat, but could still make it round a couple of times.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's the expectation given that it's a Japanese game more than a few years old. Reworking the game for 60fps isn't trivial with games build around fixed time step.
Yeah, that's a potentially interesting point. We'll find out for sure with the PC release, of course, but it's true that a lot of older titles were not built to be displayed properly at higher framerates. I'm not sure how much of the original engine was changed for this port but that might not have been a quick and easy fix.

I would feel super jipped if the 360 version ran at 60fps while the PS3 ran at 30, often dropping with a lot of activity. That wouldn't be acceptable.
Indeed. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

One thing to note: the original release of Sonic Adventure for PS3 ran at 30 fps while the 360 version was 60. After an update of some sort, however, the PS3 framerate was bumped up to 60 fps as well. A completely different situation, no doubt, but something of interest.

First 12 minutes of gameplay of the HD version - (720p youtube quality)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvnXZ3f1_CU

edit..might be best to mute this guy.

One interesting thing I'm seeing from this video is that AF appears to be disabled or reduced in the 360 version. It's tough to make that call from a Youtube video but it's looking like that might be the case. Such a difference could indicate that the 360 version DOES run at a higher framerate. :\

See?

b6362981304af85038dce5c6ca036eb5f0b7ffa6.png

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Is this what passes for reviews now? No mention of the music, no mention of the control options that disable the camera centring and then this.

So basically he found the game too difficult or more likely he was a bit crap at playing it and declared it rubbish. I'll admit going back to games from 10 years ago can be painful, we don't realise how good controls are now or how streamlined games are but that level whilst difficult is fine. Games can have difficulty, they don't need to be the next COD where you are pulled through a story with little worry about failure or restarting a level.

I think people could argue that how do i know this isn't a terrible game having not played it. Well so far no one has said its a bad port, most have said its great but its the same game from 10 years ago. And whilst JSR did have some problems even then its still a great fun game to play. Its obvious most reviewers think this should play like THPS when its nothing like that. Its a platformer, not a skate boarding game.

i think a lot of people will find it too difficult, because there is a learning curve, it takes time to master the game and that is usually counted against it in the control dept. But after practicing on the soul levels im starting to get my old skills back the game is just precise its part of the fun there are small windows for successfully doing some things. The section you quoted is clear evidence the reviewer was waiting for the game to be on rails because tagging gangs becomes one of the easiest parts of the game by the time you get past the first few levels.

UrbanRats

Not to be a total apologist or implying that JSR is perfect (it isn't) but really, you have to understand it and get in the right mindset to enjoy.
Being an inline skating based platformer, momentum and temporary lack of control are very integral parts of the gameplay's foundamentals, it's not supposed to be immediately snappy under all circumstances, cause you have to build and mantain that momentum.. especially in Future, but in JSR too (infact, Future had the boost that you could use to cheat your way around this).

I know that it can be annoying and frustrating, coming in expecting something like Cave Story or Super Meat Boy or even Super Mario Galaxy, and facing something completely different, but again, the game is trying something different, it's not simply "old".
Once you internalize its physics, JSR's and JSRF's controls can give you a lot of satisfaction.

Again, not saying the controls are perfect or didn't need tuning, but mentioning something like Tony Hawk for example, is wrong, since that game basically has a rocket booster with the X/A button, whether you're standing still or not.

So basically he found the game too difficult or more likely he was a bit crap at playing it and declared it rubbish.

I'm starting to think this became some kind of trend in general when looking back at old games. Somehow these journalists seem to take into account they are looking at old games which obviously have old controls schemes that may not translate well into the present. The thing is, in most cases people didn't struggle with these control schemes nearly as much as these journalists do. What seems to me is they either have some unrealistic expectations regarding these HD releases or just aren't willing to make the extra effort to get used the controls.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm starting to think this became some kind of trend in general when looking back at old games. Somehow these journalists seem to take into account they are looking at old games which obviously have old controls schemes that may not translate well into the present. The thing is, in most cases people didn't struggle with these control schemes nearly as much as these journalists do. What seems to me is they either have some unrealistic expectations regarding these HD releases or just aren't willing to make the extra effort to get used the controls.

They are videogames releasing in 2012. They can approach them as they see fit. It isn't 2000 any more.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so now I find myself wanting to wait, to see how the PC and 360 versions are, even though I could pick up the PS+ version tonight. And there was me being so happy that I hardly ever pay attention to silly DF 'vs' threads.. I guess we all get sucked in eventually.

Is the Vita version getting good previews? Has it even been seen yet?

You also have to keep in mind that Arthur Gies is an idiot. He's great for unintentional comedy, not so great for good reviews. He seems to take joy in announcing to the internet that they are going to hate him when he releases reviews. This is videogame journalism.

Eurogamer loves Jet Set Radio HD: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-12-jet-set-radio-review

9/10

Now all we need is Digital Foundry Face-Off...

One interesting thing I'm seeing from this video is that AF appears to be disabled or reduced in the 360 version. It's tough to make that call from a Youtube video but it's looking like that might be the case. Such a difference could indicate that the 360 version DOES run at a higher framerate. :\

Will you also buy the 360 version if it turns out to be the superior version?

I'm just re-reading the review, clearly something I missed earlier.

Invoking the incident in Fallujah in a review of a game? Wow.

Edit: to get even more pernickety, he's missed an apostrophe!

Edit edit: Just been playing Future awaiting it to be released on PSN. Incredible.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You also have to keep in mind that Arthur Gies is an idiot. He's great for unintentional comedy, not so great for good reviews. He seems to take joy in announcing to the internet that they are going to hate him when he releases reviews. This is videogame journalism.
Duuuude.... He's standing (posting) right over there.... ;)

Empty

yeah if a game is being released in 2012 you should review it for now. i don't think giving it leeway for its age is particularly useful for their audience. besides it's not like controls are constantly improving like processing power.

thankfully it doesn't matter as jsr still owns, i'm playing the original on my dreamcast right now and god these levels are so amazing.

donlan gets it.

MMaRsu

Can you buy increments of 10 in the PSN store? Or just charge 9 euro's to the card? I have a PSN + 30 day trial, that will give me access and the discount right?

Mesoian

Can you buy increments of 10 in the PSN store? Or just charge 9 euro's to the card? I have a PSN + 30 day trial, that will give me access and the discount right?

Yup, you should be fine. PSN just uses normal money currency, no space bucks.

This game is going to force me to finally finish my Combo cosplay.

No way. I like the game, but I'm not dropping that much money.

I'm surprised "Mr Framerate" jumped on the first version available, and didn't wait to see how things panned out performance wise. ;)

Trust me, I'm as tempted as anyone to pick up that PS3 version right now, but I'm gonna wait it out and see how that 360 version turned out before making my final decision. My days of buying games twice is over.

dark10x

I'm surprised "Mr Framerate" jumped on the first version available, and didn't wait to see how things panned out performance wise. ;)

Trust me, I'm as tempted as anyone to pick up that PS3 version right now, but I'm gonna wait it out and see how that 360 version turned out before making my final decision. My days of buying games twice is over.
I almost jumped on it just to confirm the performance for people here. The fact that it was selling for a bit less on PS+ also convinced me.

Muffdraul

I took a chance and grabbed the PS3 version last night, Bravia be damned. Was happily surprised to find that it can indeed be forced to 1080p. The framerate is solid and smooth, but contrary to what at least one other person said eariler in here, the game itself does stutter and hang occasionally. I don't recall the DC version doing that, but that was at least a decade ago.

It's tough going back to these demanding mechanics. "If you want to grind on that rail, then you'd better land directly on it. None of this 'close enough' bullshit." Took me almost an hour to complete the damn tutorial (i.e. 50 tricks in a row.)

dark10x

I took a chance and grabbed the PS3 version last night, Bravia be damned. Was happily surprised to find that it can indeed be forced to 1080p. The framerate is solid and smooth, but contrary to what at least one other person said eariler in here, the game itself does stutter and hang occasionally. I don't recall the DC version doing that, but that was at least a decade ago.

It's tough going back to these demanding mechanics. "If you want to grind on that rail, then you'd better land directly on it. None of this 'close enough' bullshit." Took me almost an hour to complete the damn tutorial (i.e. 50 tricks in a row.)
The DC version slows down quite a bit (just played it last weekend).

Unfortunately, there are some drops on PS3 as well that I didn't see during my initial test. Playing further into the game reveals that it isn't 100% consistent, though it is still smoother overall than the DC original.

Persona7

Banned

If you buy anything over 5 dollars it will charge that exact amount assuming your wallet has under 5 dollars in it.

If your wallet is empty and you want a game that costs 6.99 you can straight out purchase it at that price.

Roto13

I'm doing the tutorial. Does this game stall a bit sometimes for anyone else? :/ I just play and it stops for a fraction of a second and picks up. The music doesn't stop, just the gameplay.

I'm on PS3.

Also this tutorial sucks.

Muffdraul

I'm doing the tutorial. Does this game stall a bit sometimes for anyone else? :/ I just play and it stops for a fraction of a second and picks up. The music doesn't stop, just the gameplay.

I'm on PS3.

Also this tutorial sucks.

Yeah, that what's I was referring to in my previous post. It's not frame dropping, the software itself hangs. Sometimes it happens mid-jump, grrr. It doesn't happen often enough to be a big deal to me though.

MMaRsu

If the Ps3 version just hangs sometimes for no reason and the 360 version doesnt Im gonna flip the script

It's up on uk psn, just search for it.

It's feels like its running at 30 v-synced. From the brief time I've just spent with it, there was no tearing.

The whim was strong with this one, might have picked it up yesterday on XBLA...but d'oh not until next week. See if whim strikes again.

aegies

Yeah, I was wrong. I just popped it in. It's 30, with occasional inexplicable jumps to 60 (like when you hit the start button at the title screen, for example). Sorry for the confusion guys.

bakeray

Remember buying this the day it came out when I was 12.. so many good memories with it and the soundtrack, will buy Day 1 on steam, suggest anyone else who is mildly interested purchases it also. It is a true gem from my favorite era of gaming.

Roto13

Yeah, that what's I was referring to in my previous post. It's not frame dropping, the software itself hangs. Sometimes it happens mid-jump, grrr. It doesn't happen often enough to be a big deal to me though.

Ooof. Yeah, that's it. I guess it's not just me. I'm really bummed out by this because it's really annoying and the game is awesome otherwise. I don't remember it stalling like this on Dreamcast. I hope Sega fixes this ASAP because it seems to be a great port otherwise.

MMaRsu

Ooof. Yeah, that's it. I guess it's not just me. I'm really bummed out by this because it's really annoying and the game is awesome otherwise. I don't remember it stalling like this on Dreamcast. I hope Sega fixes this ASAP because it seems to be a great port otherwise.

Uhm how often does this happen man

Roto13

Damn. I was going to say maybe once every two minutes or so. I'm probably underestimating.

Sounds like it's worse for me than for you.

The tutorial (the one you access from the main menu) was every ten seconds or so. I just did the first level of the main game and it was less frequent, but still too frequent.

Think I'm going to try downloading it and installing it again.

Top Bottom