• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sounds like it's worse for me than for you.

The tutorial (the one you access from the main menu) was every ten seconds or so. I just did the first level of the main game and it was less frequent, but still too frequent.

Think I'm going to try downloading it and installing it again.

I was about to say, yeah, you should do that.
Restart the PS3 too before starting up the game fresh. I wonder if it's HDD cache issue.
Who knows, but it worries me too.

Dark10x never mentioned this though.

MMaRsu

There are a few points in this video where I'm not sure if it's hanging or it's just YouTube. :p Definitely running better in that video than it is on my PS3, in any case.

What sort of Ps3 are you playing this on? And Dark10x? I myself am using an old 40gb fat to play online but my 3.55 one is a slim.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What sort of Ps3 are you playing this on? And Dark10x? I myself am using an old 40gb fat to play online but my 3.55 one is a slim.
I'm using a slim with a 7200rpm 500gb HDD added in (dunno if that would make a difference).

I'm definitely not seeing what people are describing.

Ryan Davis said it hasn't held up at all in the latest Bombcast (2:10:36)

"That game isn't any good. I will not deny the impact of that game, the idea of trying to incorporate different cultural elements, the art style, it has this singular voice. And stunning to look at. But even at the time it was a frustrating fucking mess of a game to actually play that never quite executed on the control ideas that it had. It was never as much fun to play as it should have been.

Consistent, massive performance issues on the XBLA version. Gameplay hitches, music hiccups, stuttering like off a disc but it's on a goddamn hard drive."

brumx

Most dreamcast games especially JSR where played for there audio and music. Gameplay was usually plus thing if it was any good

"That game isn't any good. I will not deny the impact of that game, the idea of trying to incorporate different cultural elements, the art style, it has this singular voice. And stunning to look at. But even at the time it was a frustrating fucking mess of a game to actually play that never quite executed on the control ideas that it had. It was never as much fun to play as it should have been.

Consistent, massive performance issues on the XBLA version. Gameplay hitches, music hiccups, stuttering like off a disc but it's on a goddamn hard drive."

Wow. This is the first we've heard of performance issues with the 360 version. Not a single review had made mention of this, and they all seemed to be playing it on the 360.

dark10x

Wow. This is the first we've heard of performance issues with the 360 version. Not a single review had made mention of this, and they all seemed to be playing it on the 360.
Actually, one of the reviews made a comment about the framerate that lead me to believe there were stability issues.

Let's wait and see.

Actually, one of the reviews made a comment about the framerate that lead me to believe there were stability issues.

Let's wait and see.

Well, making a comment about the framerate is one thing. "Consistent , massive performance issues" is another matter entirely.

Skyzard

Banned
Has anyone played the PSN version more then the first 2 levels? They seemed fine from what I've watched on youtube so far.

I think people need to understand this isn't Jet Set Radio 2012. It's DC gaming with a slight touch up. Still JSR though!
I think the Vita's screen will show off the game the best unless they've made significant sacrifices...which isn't really forgivable tbh.

Why it has severe performance issues on the XBLA version, or even any issues on either console is strange.

> Just a thought but try signing out of PSN/XBLA if you are getting that stuttering every 20-30 seconds.

Roto13

Reinstalled it and did the Love Trap mission and it doesn't seem to be hanging as badly as before but it's still happening sometimes.

In other news, I couldn't find the last place I was supposed to tag. It wasn't on my map. :p

dark10x

Has anyone played the PSN version more then the first 2 levels? They seemed fine from what I've watched on youtube so far.

I think people need to understand this isn't Jet Set Radio 2012. It's DC gaming with a slight touch up. Still JSR though!
I think the Vita's screen will show off the game the best unless they've made significant sacrifices...which isn't really forgivable tbh.

Why it has severe performance issues on the XBLA version, or even any issues on either console is strange.

Just a thought but just try signing out of PSN/XBLA if you are getting that stuttering ever 20-30 seconds.
Maybe they didn't have access to the source code and failed to recreate it smoothly?

Skyzard

Banned
Maybe they didn't have access to the source code and failed to recreate it smoothly?

I really think these are just individual user reports and people who don't remember the original game as well.

The original wasn't that smooth nor that forgiving anyway (specific angles...momentum etc). Needed to learn the maps and their niggles but I don't remember another skating game being anywhere near as fun (overall, especially with a bit of practice). Just a brilliant game - themes/ideas/music - especially for its time. But it's a treat with nostalgia eyes....not going to be too smooth for newcomers tbh.. might want to hold off for a while if some of you are coming straight into this off the hype..as the difficulty may take away from you wanting to enjoy the gameplay straight away.

dark10x

I really think these are just individual user reports and people who don't remember the original game as well.

The original wasn't that smooth nor that forgiving anyway (specific angles...momentum etc). Needed to learn the maps and their niggles but I don't remember another skating game being anywhere near as fun. Just a brilliant game - themes/ideas/music - especially for its time. But it's a treat with nostalgia eyes....not going to be too smooth for newcomers tbh.. might want to hold off for a while if some of you are coming straight into this off the hype..
Well, some of the complaints being leveled at this version (stuttering) were not present in the original game.

Still, I think further improvements should be present. I'm still amazed they couldn't bump the framerate up significantly. Would have really improved responsiveness.

Skyzard

Banned
Well, some of the complaints being leveled at this version (stuttering) were not present in the original game.

Still, I think further improvements should be present. I'm still amazed they couldn't bump the framerate up significantly. Would have really improved responsiveness.

Yeah, I'm surprised they didn't bump it up either. I haven't seen any real stuttering from the footage I've seen.

The DC version had some slowdown with detailed scenes, especially when jumping down..or turning quickly sometimes. That guy with the every 20-30 seconds seems to be an install issue. Hopefully the XBLA version will get patched. -- try signing out though guys, watched a few vids now and looks pretty good to me.

I mean, even the Vita version was looking great.

MMaRsu

Well I just started downloading it... Thanks to Spaulding who gave me a Ps+ trial code two weeks ago..damn sweet!

Let's just HOPE it holds up.. the download is going slow as hell but eh..

denshuu

I really hope this does well. Not because I'm all that interested in playing it, but because if JSRF HD comes out I'm just going to take a week off work and soak up some Concept of Love.

I wonder if this game has a specific issue with fragmented hard drives. That would explain why some people might see stuttering more than others.

I recently started a thread about how one of my two slim Xboxs was loading the friends list significantly slower than the other. I wondered why this was happening, and I eventually chose to reformat the hard drive, and wipe it completely clean.

After doing that the console performed like it was new again. Friends list loaded instantly, etc. Even after reinstalling games, and downloading all my DLC, it still runs like new.

I've also heard that fragmentation can be even worse on PS3s because of the way it handles data.

Skyzard

Banned
I wonder if this game has a specific issue with fragmented hard drives. That would explain why some people might see it more than others.

I recently started a thread about how one of my two slim Xboxs was loading the friends list significantly slower than the other. I wondered why this was happening, and I eventually chose to reformat the hard drive, and wipe it completely clean.

After doing that the console performed like it was new again. Friends list loaded instantly, etc. Even after reinstalling games, and downloading all my DLC, it still runs like new.

I've also heard that fragmentation can be even worse on PS3s, because of the way Sony handles data on the PS3's hard drive.

I was thinking the exact same. Sony's downloader is quite good though - usually queues up the downloads one by one - unlike Steam. But not sure about the data handling you brought up.

MMaRsu

I wonder if this game has a specific issue with fragmented hard drives. That would explain why some people might see stuttering more than others.

I've also heard that fragmentation can be even worse on PS3s, because of the way it handles it's file system.

Yeah, but no way in hell I wanna lose my Dark Souls save file :/

This sounds awful. And music hiccups? WTF? Have never had this issue with Dreamcast version.

Hey dark10x, noticed any music hiccups with the PS3 version?

DonMigs85

If you use the backup utility, then reformat and recover from the backup, does the backup preserve the fragmentation too?

Also, any tips for getting 50 tricks in a row reliably? So pissed I got to 48 then missed the last rail jump.

SykoTech

Woah, the last page or two has me a bit worried.

dark10x comment about no hiccups on the PS3 version so far is the only thing keeping me from sweating bullets. Hopefully that remains the case all the way through.

UrbanRats

Damn, i never knew JSR was so hated around the net, it's one of my top game of all time.
Then again, i rarely agree with the Giant Bomb guys on videogames, as funny and entertaining as they are.

MMaRsu

Woooow wtf psn its downloading at 1mb per minute or something noooooo
How do i speed this up? Its connected wireless and the signal isnt great but i get 1mb/s on my pc... i really wanna play this man:(((((((

FLEABttn

Banned
But even at the time it was a frustrating fucking mess of a game to actually play that never quite executed on the control ideas that it had. It was never as much fun to play as it should have been.

That's rather revisionist. What control issues that do exist were noted back in 2000 but "frustrating fucking mess of a game to actually play"..."even at the time"? That doesn't jive with history.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ok, so don't download ANY version. Got it!

Just buy the soundtrack. You've already gotten the majority of enjoyment out of it.
I'll be honest, I've been thinking about Jet Set for a while before it came out and I knew it didn't age well. I remember the floaty controls and undecisiveness. It was kind of the proto-Assassin's Creed of me yelling 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING' at the character on the screen for going the wrong way, but I'm still interested in owning it. I still have fondness for the Dreamcast, and it's appealing to my nostalgia, but yeah, the hitching is terrible.

I've only unlocked Mew and Garam, but I was playing one of the levels and playing as Garam and EVERY TIEM I jump while on a grind, it hitches. EVERY. TIME.

That's rather revisionist. What control issues that do exist were noted back in 2000 but "frustrating fucking mess of a game to actually play"..."even at the time"? That doesn't jive with history.
I definitely found Jet Set frustrating to control at the time. It's not like Tony Hawk didn't exist back then.

Woooow wtf psn its downloading at 1mb per minute or something noooooo
How do i speed this up? Its connected wireless and the signal isnt great but i get 1mb/s on my pc... i really wanna play this man:(((((((

How big is the file?

A couple of us have asked the question on previous pages only to never have it answered.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

This kind of feels weird to say, but this sort of feels like one of those situations where someone is bad at a game and just doesn't get it. The requests for an easier game by Ryan Davis during this segment were just like...I dunno. Someone's gotta stop putting controllers in the hands of babies. Complaining about having to go get paint cans is just whacked out.

Really is too bad to hear about the performance issues, but with a PC version coming out this will all probably be a non-issue.

Muffdraul

Ryan Davis' assessment is harsh, but thinking back, it's not that far from how I felt when JGR first came out. I loved the look, I loved the music, I *wanted* love the gameplay. But it was fucking hard. It's possible to be hard without being overly stressful and frustrating. I'd forgotten until I just read my old JRSF review at Amazon from 10 years ago- When I first played JGR, I didn't finish it. I stopped playing it because it was so fucking frustrating. I didn't go back and finish it until a couple years later, when I was re-motivated by finding out that a lot of Smilebit folks were actually ex-Team Andromeda.

It's a really fucking hard game. I'm proud that I was able to finish it. But I'll never be all Teknopathetic about it.

Ryan Davis' assessment is harsh, but thinking back, it's not that far from how I felt when JGR first came out. I loved the look, I loved the music, I *wanted* love the gameplay. But it was fucking hard. It's possible to be hard without being overly stressful and frustrating. I'd forgotten until I just read my old JRSF review at Amazon from 10 years ago- When I first played JGR, I didn't finish it. I stopped playing it because it was so fucking frustrating. I didn't go back and finish it until a couple years later, when I was re-motivated by finding out that a lot of Smilebit folks were actually ex-Team Andromeda.

It's a really fucking hard game. I'm proud that I was able to finish it. But I'll never be all Teknopathetic about it.

I feels strange seeing people label this game "fucking hard", because back in the day I imported it when it came out in Japan first, and then I bought the game when it came out in the U.S.

I finished it both times shortly after release, and I never recall feeling like it was that tough, and I don't normally enjoy games that are brutally difficult.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
But it's really not hard. At all. Most of the levels are actually super easy.

The game doesn't tell you how to play it right. The onus is on you to learn it. You have to plan your route out, find the big tags, and target those first to spray them easily before the more difficult enemies are called in. You can really get away not doing that even to be honest. The game is a breeze and super forgiving.

UrbanRats

I thought it was hard, too, but as i said earlier i was a kid and i've always been a bad player in general, that said, i completed it and loved it to death.

But it's really not hard. At all. Most of the levels are actually super easy.

The game doesn't tell you how to play it right. The onus is on you to learn it. You have to plan your route out, find the big tags, and target those first to spray them easily before the more difficult enemies are called in. You can really get away not doing that even to be honest. The game is a breeze and super forgiving.
This is a very subjective issue, anyhow.
What someone finds hard, other may find easy.

dock

Yay just beat the first four levels or so! This feels spot on. Slowdown is a bit lame, but still smoother than the original. Control and presentation is perfect.

Controls are really tricky of course! :D

Top Bottom