• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
But it's really not hard. At all. Most of the levels are actually super easy.

The game doesn't tell you how to play it right. The onus is on you to learn it. You have to plan your route out, find the big tags, and target those first to spray them easily before the more difficult enemies are called in. You can really get away not doing that even to be honest. The game is a breeze and super forgiving.

The levels are easy, the tagging is easy, the frustrating controls, particularly the fact that your character's so slow even at his/her fastest and the floaty landing is what makes it hard.(Which, gaming 101, if your difficulty is in your controls and not your level, something is very wrong)

and I don't remember if the stuttering was this bad in the original, but it don't help. And when the riot police and tanks show up?
This should play in the game

Muffdraul

But it's really not hard. At all. Most of the levels are actually super easy.

The game doesn't tell you how to play it right. The onus is on you to learn it. You have to plan your route out, find the big tags, and target those first to spray them easily before the more difficult enemies are called in. You can really get away not doing that even to be honest. The game is a breeze and super forgiving.

All things being relative... give me a fucking break. Completing the levels within the time limit is extremely challenging. Saying it's "super easy" sounds like an ePeen thing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
All things being relative... give me a fucking break. Completing the levels within the time limit is extremely challenging. Saying it's not hard sounds like an ePeen thing.
No, it's not. Look I don't want to be going around telling people they are bad at video games. It feels dumb. This game is incredibly easy and you can clear most levels with obscene amounts of time left on the clock. I don't know what else to say. I'm not some pro when it comes to games, but it's hard for games to get more lenient than this. They tell you straight up where everything is. Pain cans respawn all over the place. You literally can't get hit by enemies more than half the time and when they do hit you it doesn't even matter that much.

You are complaining about ten to seventeen minute time limits on levels that you can cross in a fairly short amount of time, and the game gradually builds up by introducing you to the levels in pieces before combining them.

Erasus

Wow. This is the first we've heard of performance issues with the 360 version. Not a single review had made mention of this, and they all seemed to be playing it on the 360.

Most reviewers dont seem to notice or care. Drops to 25 arent really mentioned.

DF is our saviour, call it "graphics whoring" or "being too sensitive to fps" lol

So this is definitely coming to Steam next week? Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm considering buying now on PS3 unless the PC version is out soon.

Muffdraul

No, it's not. Look I don't want to be going around telling people they are bad at video games. It feels dumb. This game is incredibly easy and you can clear most levels with obscene amounts of time left on the clock. I don't know what else to say. I'm not some pro when it comes to games, but it's hard for games to get more lenient than this. They tell you straight up where everything is. Pain cans respawn all over the place. You literally can't get hit by enemies more than half the time and when they do hit you it doesn't even matter that much.

You are complaining about ten to seventeen minute time limits on levels that you can cross in a fairly short amount of time, and the game gradually builds up by introducing you to the levels in pieces before combining them.

Like I said, it's all relative. Entirely subjective. It's great that you personally consider JSR to be "super easy". There are surely very few people in this world who have played it to completion and could say that with a straight face. It's like saying "Ikaruga is super easy. All you have to do is shoot stuff and avoid the bullets."

EDIT: I will agree that several of the levels in JSR *are* pretty easy. It's only a few in the second half of the game that are hard. Completing the goddamn tutorial is probably harder than most of the levels.

No, it's not. Look I don't want to be going around telling people they are bad at video games. It feels dumb.

But you just did...

This kind of feels weird to say, but this sort of feels like one of those situations where someone is bad at a game and just doesn't get it. The requests for an easier game by Ryan Davis during this segment were just like...I dunno. Someone's gotta stop putting controllers in the hands of babies.

B-Dex

If you use the backup utility, then reformat and recover from the backup, does the backup preserve the fragmentation too?

Also, any tips for getting 50 tricks in a row reliably? So pissed I got to 48 then missed the last rail jump.

Nope just gotta infinite grind and pray you don't mess up lol

Pietepiet

Playing the trial on PS+ right now. Feels good! No stuttering so far.

One weird thing though: the Graffiti menu is 4:3...

[EDIT] Same for Radio and Map menus, though on Map it's not as noticable because it letterboxes the map anyway, so it just looks like it's on a black bg and centered.

dock

Wow! I love JSR, but it sucks that players with a knack for the controls are being so rude to those struggling.

If you miss a jump and end up falling far, or into the water, you can lose so much time! You can struggle to hit the rails and find it harder each time because of being chased.

I completed it on DC, but I'm a little rusty. I just failed because I wasted too much time trying to jump from the rail onto the crane. Obviously I did it super fast in the second run and got Nitro on the score, but the punishment for missing jumps is quite bad at times.

Basically, the game punishes people harshly for failing. Also, the strategy of doing the biggest tags first isn't obvious to new players.

I love this game though.

Pietepiet

I just failed because I wasted too much time trying to jump from the rail onto the crane.

I'm assuming you're talking about the second area in Shibuya-Cho? Because there's a rideable wall to the left of the crane. Much easier than taking the crane grind.

dock

The only real tech problem I've ran into is that some of the tags flickering against the surface, as though they're z-fighting or something. The framerate also drops a bit sometimes, but never too bad, and better than the original.

Pietepiet: okay, I didn't know about the rideable wall in the Shibuya-Cho second level. I've had plenty of experience with the game, and I basically learned how to do the crane jump easily enough back then. My housemate said she gave up on the game entirely on Dreamcast because she couldn't do the crane jump. If you explore the levels there are sometimes alternative routes, but you'll probably more likely find them if you're being competitive for score.

Of course you may say "I found them and I wasn't being competitive", but my feeling is "well, congratulations, good for you". It's easy to dismiss other players negative experiences if you never ran into any issues through luck or plain skill.

Pietepiet: okay, I didn't know about the rideable wall in the Shibuya-Cho second level. I've had plenty of experience with the game, and I basically learned how to do the crane jump easily enough back then. My housemate said she gave up on the game entirely on Dreamcast because she couldn't do the crane jump. If you explore the levels there are sometimes alternative routes, but you'll probably more likely find them if you're being competitive for score.

Of course you may say "I found them and I wasn't being competitive", but my feeling is "well, congratulations, good for you". It's easy to dismiss other players negative experiences if you never ran into any issues through luck or plain skill.
I don't think Pietpiet was trying to talk down to you so much as help you out. <_<

Pietepiet

It's easy to dismiss other players negative experiences if you never ran into any issues through luck or plain skill.

you know I love you baby. I only mean to make your life easier <3

I actually found that shortcut by looking at insane Japanese trick videos that I could never find again, haha

What a tease to offer the JSRF music in a menu, but not during gameplay.

Aw man, you can't unlock them for gameplay?

Empty

it's not a hard game now i know all the areas and have a good understanding of the controls wrt momentum and setting up jumps. i breeze through most of the game of replay now and it's about going for jet. first time i played it however was challenging.

giant bombcast jsr chat is sad. when they complain about running out of cans just makes me smh as it demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the game and a desire for it to be all awesome shit all the time instead of having interesting design. the game is all about taking advantage of the open spaces most efficiently and part of that is making sure you take routes to get the amount of cans needed for the tags you're going for. it's like complaining that you can't just build units without mining resources which takes time in a rts.

Mesoian

alsdjfasdfddspe.jpg

And I've been getting these more and more as time goes on.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but it needs to get patched like whoa.

dock

you know I love you baby. I only mean to make your life easier <3
love ya too Piet! I'm also a big fan of JSR as is.

I'm only defending those struggling, saying their difficulties are understandable.

I actually found that shortcut by looking at insane Japanese trick videos that I could never find again
hahaha, well that sorta is my point!

I love JSR so much, but it mostly rewards hardcore play, and your keen score interests fall into this.

If you love JSR it'll love you back, but if you're getting to grips with it you may get pushed away.

dock

Holy fuckshit cockturds! This game doesn't autosave!! I lost all my progress! D:

I have to start again. -_-

Muffdraul

No, you don't understand. If people die or fail their feelings will be hurt.

I know I did. I don't want to. But it's spreading genuine misinformation when people are running around saying this game is hard.

You've stated elsewhere that you've played through JSR many times. I've played through it once. You'll surely deny it, but I'd wager that if you thought back and had to be honest, you'd admit that you found it a lot more difficult the first time you played it, before you mastered it, and have basically literally forgotten how hard it was at first. I know what that's like.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So guys, Yappie Feet or not ?

PARTY TIME

I will echo what others are saying, when I played this back in '99, I do remember some bouts of frustration -- at the controls and slow movement. But it was totally doable. However, calling it 'super easy'...eh, I wouldn't agree with that.

B-Dex

There are definitely challenging parts. But I unlocked everything back in the day. So only a matter of time to get back in the swing of things.
dat dog

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You've stated elsewhere that you've played through JSR many times. I've played through it once. You'll surely deny it, but I'd wager that if you thought back and had to be honest, you'd admit that you found it a lot more difficult the first time you played it, before you mastered it, and have basically literally forgotten how hard it was at first. I know what that's like.
The investment of time isn't exactly an unreasonable demand.

I feel like I could pull almost any game off of my shelf and it would be more challenging. How do people that have trouble with this game get through other games? As an experiment I did go pull two random games off my shelf of older stuff. I got Panzer Dragoon Orta for the Xbox and Alien Hominid for the Gamecube. Both magnitudes more difficult than what I consider a fairly low pressure game like Jet Set Radio.

gwarm01

I'm worried about the Vita version now. Surely they could get it running at a constant 30fps by the time it released in October, right?

GavinGT

Banned
I wouldn't call JSR tough, but it was definitely more frustrating than it needed to be at times. It was mostly to do with the lack of nuance in the controls and the constant need to build up your momentum to get to where you needed to go.

For example, I remember spending WAY too much time on this one part of the game (6:00-7:30), constantly falling and having to tediously climb those stairs.

JSRF was frustrating in different ways. It solved the momentum issue by allowing you to do tricks while grinding to speed up, in addition to cranking up the general movement speed. But the movement speed increase in turn made platforming more difficult, especially since the platforming was way more demanding than it was in the first. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed both games because I liked exploring the cities and completing the objectives. But I've beaten them both multiple times and don't really want to revisit them, especially with the technical issues that have come to light.

Muffdraul

The investment of time isn't exactly an unreasonable demand.

I was merely trying to find a rational explanation for our radically different points of view on the very subjective matter of a game's difficulty.

And I don't know if you saw it, I edited an earlier post to clarify that I don't think JSR is brain exploding hard from the word go. It's really just a few specific parts of certain levels later in the game. I'm pretty sure when I play JSR HD I'll be able to remember exactly where it was in the game where I said "You know what, fuck this, I don't this amount of stress in my life" and put it down.

I feel like I could pull almost any game off of my shelf and it would be more challenging. How do people that have trouble with this game get through other games? As an experiment I did go pull two random games off my shelf of older stuff. I got Panzer Dragoon Orta for the Xbox and Alien Hominid for the Gamecube. Both magnitudes more difficult than what I consider a fairly low pressure game like Jet Set Radio.

I was taking you seriously this whole time. Had no idea I was being trolled. Fuck.

Roto13

alsdjfasdfddspe.jpg

And I've been getting these more and more as time goes on.

I'm not sure what's causing it, but it needs to get patched like whoa.

This just happened to me.

Ugh.

It hangs every time the police radio does anything. And also other times.

Roto13

You don't have them to do in the pipe. You have to grind on rails.

Oh. It told me I could do tricks in the pipe and then it told me to do 20 tricks. I guess I just assumed it meant for me to do them in the pipe.

I'm never going back to that tutorial anyway. It hangs like a motherfucker because of the frequent radio use.

GavinGT

Banned
So, 50 tricks in a row in the tutorial is kinda hard
impossible
.;(

You just keep grinding around the circumference of the main area, doing wall rides on the billboards when necessary to reach the next rail. Just don't ever touch the ground.

I've actually been experiencing the same issues as Roto13 regarding the game locking up for a second and then continuing. The music also kind of halts occasionally and the police radio calls. Got kind of bad for me towards the end of Chapter 1. It has dicked me over on long jumps and tags. Hope it gets fixed soon. Playing this on a 160 gb Slim.

On a more nitpicky level, I wish they had just put in a "Retry" option in the pause menu.

On a "I want to throw my controller" level, it took me at least 10 tries to beat Yo-Yo in that damn tag race.

Muffdraul

What demo? I'm looking at the PS+ menu, only option is the full game.

When you actually buy it, it comes as two separate items to download- the demo (which is really the full game) and the license key that unlocks the demo. I didn't think you could get the demo by itself yet.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that quirk of PSN's. I just kinda hoped that when he said "downloading the demo", he meant an actual demo.

Oh well. At least this visit to the PS Store wasn't a waste of time, nabbed a bunch of free shit.

Top Bottom