• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
OK, tried the PS3 version. It's 30 fps and it's stable.

So, at least it isn't some weird uneven framerate, but it's still disappointing they didn't go for 60. At least they ironed out the slowdown from the Dreamcast version as it seems to hold a consistent 30 at least.

The visuals DO look a lot nicer, though, with the higher resolution. The largest improvement actually stems from the fact that they are using proper AF (rare for a console game). The DC version had that ugly, aggressive bilinear filtering that was common on the platform. I always thought it really hurt the textures in JSR but no more!

Aside from the framerate I'm disappointed that the audio wasn't mixed better. It's the EXACT same audio from the Dreamcast version. Like most DC games it's slightly scratchy stereo with minimal separation. I typically use stereo for stereo sources but some games DO benefit from DPLII or other similar audio modes. Unfortunately, like most DC titles, enabling those modes simply directs all sound to the center channel. :\ Professor K yelling in stereo sounds bad to me and should be firing from the center while the music plays in stereo. I'm annoyed that they couldn't even properly mix the game in 5.1 (stereo music + surround SFX + center channel for voice at minimum).

The gameplay, however, is MUCH improved. Two things have really enhanced the experience: a right stick camera and disabling the auto-center on the L-trigger. Simply being able to freely look around while skating makes a HUGE difference in navigation while removing the constant re-centering while trying to spray kills the slightly glitchy, annoying camera traits in the original. It just feels so much more natural now. Furthermore, the PS3 analog stick decimates the Dreamcast stick and allows for much more precision while adjusting your character in mid-air. Graffiti motions are also much easier on the PS3 stick. This is the best reason to play it, honestly!

Disappointing about the sound. I wonder if the PC version will fare any better... Of course, my setups are all 2-channel so I'll just be running in the (presumably better) stereo mode anyway.

Out of curiosity, how big's the game's file size? I wonder if it's an instance of a PSN game having something compressed 'cuz of XBLA's file size limits... like Virtua Fighter.

Hey guys, just remember to leave flowers on my grave the when someone says that Game Informer only grades on the "8 to 10" review scale :)

Yours in faith, matt

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The visuals DO look a lot nicer, though, with the higher resolution. The largest improvement actually stems from the fact that they are using proper AF (rare for a console game). The DC version had that ugly, aggressive bilinear filtering that was common on the platform. I always thought it really hurt the textures in JSR but no more!
I'm most excited about how the graphics will improve in the docks at dusk. I remember the resolution, oranges and reds bleeding into each other, and bilinear filtering made everything a mess on TV. Just with a couple short snippets on the trailer, that area looked soooo much nicer.

Hey guys, just remember to leave flowers on my grave the when someone says that Game Informer only grades on the "8 to 10" review scale :)

Yours in faith, matt

I'm assuming you wrote the review? I think I missed the gameinformer review because my magazine isn't in I guess. Is there an online version?

Also has anybody seen anything from the Vita version? I saw those videos on youtube from E3 or GDC or wherever but I mean like real time to play with and compare the HD versions to the Vita version?

Persona7

Banned
Disappointing about the sound. I wonder if the PC version will fare any better... Of course, my setups are all 2-channel so I'll just be running in the (presumably better) stereo mode anyway.

Out of curiosity, how big's the game's file size? I wonder if it's an instance of a PSN game having something compressed 'cuz of XBLA's file size limits... like Virtua Fighter.

If it is the exact same audio as the dreamcast version, it would not matter anyway.

UrbanRats

Bgamer90

Banned
Making a comparison to Tony Hawk (a completely different game aside from both being "xtreme sportz" focused) and then saying "...But it’s the truth; this game wasn’t that good in the first place"?

Pffffft.

BigDug13

Why did this have to come out at the same time as borderlands 2!!! Loved this back on my Dreamcast.

Hmm. Looking again. iOS? That could actually make the spray painting a little better as I didn't really like doing street fighter moves to paint.

Is Vita getting touch paint controls?

OK, tried the PS3 version. It's 30 fps and it's stable.

So, at least it isn't some weird uneven framerate, but it's still disappointing they didn't go for 60. At least they ironed out the slowdown from the Dreamcast version as it seems to hold a consistent 30 at least.

Aside from the framerate I'm disappointed that the audio wasn't mixed better. It's the EXACT same audio from the Dreamcast version. Like most DC games it's slightly scratchy stereo with minimal separation. I typically use stereo for stereo sources but some games DO benefit from DPLII or other similar audio modes. Unfortunately, like most DC titles, enabling those modes simply directs all sound to the center channel. :\ Professor K yelling in stereo sounds bad to me and should be firing from the center while the music plays in stereo. I'm annoyed that they couldn't even properly mix the game in 5.1 (stereo music + surround SFX + center channel for voice at minimum).

The gameplay, however, is MUCH improved. Two things have really enhanced the experience: a right stick camera and disabling the auto-center on the L-trigger. Simply being able to freely look around while skating makes a HUGE difference in navigation while removing the constant re-centering while trying to spray kills the slightly glitchy, annoying camera traits in the original. It just feels so much more natural now. Furthermore, the PS3 analog stick decimates the Dreamcast stick and allows for much more precision while adjusting your character in mid-air. Graffiti motions are also much easier on the PS3 stick. This is the best reason to play it, honestly!

iLF4orj83jW17.gif

Like always, a second to none impression from dark10x. Keep it up!

Dream17

Neo Member
what is the source of 30fps ?

and how fps to pc version ?

ok, you tell me , 95 % of games today are in 30 fps or less, but someone say jet set radio on console have more than 30 fps , and its constant

Kyon

Banned
No one wants to talk about the actual game SMH not here for this PC bs.

Did someone other than me buy this?

Kyon

Banned
JSRF is so far superior to this :( I can't do tricks on the rails to be faster. I can't do more than one trick. The graffiti is super annoying to do I miss the way JSRF does it :x and the time limit is terrible

Mesoian

JSRF is so far superior to this :( I can't do tricks on the rails to be faster. I can't do more than one trick. The graffiti is super annoying to do I miss the way JSRF does it :x and the time limit is terrible

And you should buy this so we can get our JSRFHD a year from now.

Mesoian

I'm gonna start this download as soon as Double Dragon Neon is finished downloading because CHRIST the QoC on the Ps3 is terribad. Let it sit on the download screen, 2mb/s. Download in the background, 45kb/s. At least let me play something!

Don't go into it expecting it to play like JSRF - Jet Set Radio is rooted in arcade style gameplay (high scores linked to hitting all the tags in the shortest amount of time while avoiding the cops, and doing so within a time limit) versus free-roaming platforming exploration. As you progress through the story, however, you will gain access to what essentially amounts to a free-roam mode that gives you 999 seconds to roam and tag in stages you've unlocked.

Edit: Dark10x explained it better than I did two posts below this one

JSRF was better because it got rid of some of the needless(imo) difficulty in JSR on top of bigger levels. Still for what it is, JSF is great. I can't wait for the Steam release.
There IS a hint to that effect in the achievements. :)
What's the hint?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
what is the source of 30fps ?

and how fps to pc version ?

ok, you tell me , 95 % of games today are in 30 fps or less, but someone say jet set radio on console have more than 30 fps , and its constant
You can use me as a source. It's 30 fps on consoles.

The PC version is currently unknown as it is not yet available.

JSRF was better because it got rid of some of the needless(imo) difficulty in JSR on top of bigger levels. Still for what it is, JSF is great. I can't wait for the Steam release.
I disagree. Here's something I posted in another JSR thread regarding tag complexity (and the game design in general). JSRF is an aimless collect-a-thon while JSR is a proper action arcade game with room for skilled play.

See, in JSR, you were presented with tags across the level of varying size and complexity. You knew that certain tags would require more time and paint. If you waited to nail these until later or simply tagged everything you saw right out of the gate you'd wind up with the full police force trailing you.

In the very first level, for instance, you have a few complex tags at ground level and a couple up top. If you tackle all of the upper sections first you'll be left with more difficult tags on the ground where the police can reach you. Discovering the optimal order is part of the fun and allows you to improve your score and increase your efficiency at the level. It's THIS aspect that adds a tremendous amount of replay-ability to the game. Like an old Sonic or NiGHTS level you can re-play the stage while improving your game each run.

With JSRF all of this was erased. The game world became aimless instead. There was no push to improve your game and there was no real depth to the gameplay. It's was all very surface. Just skate around and tag things without any time limits or challenges. The "combat" arenas feel completely tacked on and have nothing to do with the rest of the game. If complex tags were present in JSRF it would be a waste of time as there is no strategic element to determining which tags to attack first and no purpose to them (hence why they were removed). JSRF was basically reduced to a collect-a-thon with tags acting as the item to collect.

JSR is a platforming action game with real stages and depth
JSRF is an aimless Banjo Kazooie kind of experience with really cool art and music

Tain

30fps for a Dreamcast game on these consoles is a disaster. What a joke.

It's the expectation given that it's a Japanese game more than a few years old. Reworking the game for 60fps isn't trivial with games build around fixed time step.

My memory is bad, was JSRF a 30 or 60FPS game?
JSRF was 60FPS, although playing it on a 360 produces horrible slowdown issues in some stages (like that one with the big tower with the dragons going up it that you can grind on). Apparently it's more consistent on an actual OG Xbox.

JSR, the first one, was always 30. Apparently it also had slowdown. Wouldn't know, I only ever had the demo.

DonMigs85

JSRF was 60FPS, although playing it on a 360 produces horrible slowdown issues in some stages (like that one with the big tower with the dragons going up it that you can grind on). Apparently it's more consistent on an actual OG Xbox.

JSR, the first one, was always 30. Apparently it also had slowdown. Wouldn't know, I only ever had the demo.

It's really insane then that they couldn't get this to be 60FPS, or at least 1080p native at 30FPS.
I'm also still not sure if the Daytona rerelease was 720 or 1080p native.

Skyzard

Banned
30fps huh...not much reason to get it on PS3 as well as Vita then...if the PC version could be unlocked somehow...different story. Or a few extra graphics settings..

Mesoian

You guys are crazy. I've been playing for 2 hours now, the frame rate is almost the same as the dreamcast version. It hovers around 30 except when you have a lot of space in your view points, then it can drop dramatically (try going towards the exit in the first level and look out over the entire level, the FR can drop to about 15-20). This version also seems to have some interesting texture pop as well on some of the larger areas. I had half a level load late while grinding on some train tracks.

Beyond that, it's jet set radio, by hook or by crook. The controls are still totally squirly and the camera is still iffy, even though we can control it more directly. I wish you could assign what button the camera centering button was. Having that on r3 would make things so much simplier.

But it's still awesome, and that's what's important.

LaneDS

Played the first few stages and think it's great. Like others said, it still has plenty of quirk to the gameplay but I think it looks as good as you're going to reasonably get for an updated Dreamcast title. And at $9, it is totally worth it if you enjoyed it originally.

I think JSRF would be better received by people that have never played either since that game controls better, plays faster, and looks and (imma say it) sounds better; they're both great games in their own right with ups and downs to each.

Framerate is a non-issue for me, because it's a semi-slow feeling game and I don't think it needs to be double the frame rate at best. That, and like others have said it's not always such a simple thing to go from 30 to 60FPS depending on how the game was made (which of course I have no idea about, ultimately).

Skyzard

Banned
You know you have a point, 60fps might kill the nostalgia.. it has pretty simple/slow gameplay (it's not wipeout or cod either) ...although it seems I can now only remember the first level after watching the e3 clips a million times.

Really hope it sells well enough on vita for them to consider a JSRF on it.

aegies

I'm on a plane right now and exhausted, so I can't check, but I'm fairly sure the XBLA version runs at 60 most of the time, with occasional, random drops to 30. I'll double check when I get home.

Mesoian

I'm on a plane right now and exhausted, so I can't check, but I'm fairly sure the XBLA version runs at 60 most of the time, with occasional, random drops to 30. I'll double check when I get home.

Wow, if that's true, then the PS3 port is TERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE.

Top Bottom