• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

haikira

Signed up for plus again, so i could grab this. Looking forward to trying it later =D

Getting 29 out of 30 tracks for this release, is actually quite impressive. Also still very happy with the actual price of the game.

Does anyone know if they threw a random new track in, to keep the number same? I doubt they really need to, when there's still that many. Just curious.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Player the dc version for comparison again. A huuuge improvement I overlooked was the removal of pop in. The dc version has loads of pop in at all times and it's been removed here.

Muffdraul

Not really. If he was downloading the full game, key and all, "downloading the game" would be less ambiguous. (But now we're getting into petty semantics...)

True. But apparently you had already looked it up in the PSN menu and seen no demo per se. BTW I eat petty semantics for breakfast. I once punched a baby over petty semantics.

It usually doesn't take me an hour or so to do a tutorial mode, but those fifty tricks in a row were a pain in the ass. The hardest part was trying to hit the railing because I usually go too far or bump into it.

DonMigs85

I noticed the game looks pretty sharp and it defaults to 1080p even if I have all the PS3 resolution options checked. But it's not 1080p native, is it?

Is there an option to replay previously completed levels? I'm just going through the game for fun at the moment and want to return later to the levels to get Jet ratings etc. but can't find any option to replay the levels.

Pietepiet

Is there an option to replay previously completed levels? I'm just going through the game for fun at the moment and want to return later to the levels to get Jet ratings etc. but can't find any option to replay the levels.

Nope. Once the game ends, you get put back at the start of the first Chapter, though, so you can play through the story and get more Jet Rankings. The reason they do this is because one character unlock requires you to play some of the first levels in a specific order for a story event to trigger.

Nope. Once the game ends, you get put back at the start of the first Chapter, though, so you can play through the story and get more Jet Rankings. The reason they do this is because one character unlock requires you to play some of the first levels in a specific order for a story event to trigger.

Cool, thanks. Glad I wasn't missing the option tucked away somewhere!

Pietepiet

Oh, if you're going for the Jets, here's a quick tip: if you don't get the rank, reset the console before it goes to the Professor K cutscene after the stage. It won't save your game and you'll be able to retry when you start the game again. That's what I did on Dreamcast anyway, 'cause I was too lazy to keep replaying the storymode :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
perhaps HD remakes of older games could include a 'remix' mode where they tweak the controls to be more how people would expect a modern game to be?

kiyomi

Never played this before. Tried it for 10 minutes. Quite like it.

Sound quality on the speech is pretty terrible, and there's an occasional stutter every couple of minutes, nothing major though (PS3).

I failed the first couple of trial things because I didn't watch the video in full :p

Random question : Is the guy who does the VO intro at the beginning the same guy who voiced Fallout 3's opening? Sounds really similar.

Oh, if you're going for the Jets, here's a quick tip: if you don't get the rank, reset the console before it goes to the Professor K cutscene after the stage. It won't save your game and you'll be able to retry when you start the game again. That's what I did on Dreamcast anyway, 'cause I was too lazy to keep replaying the storymode :p

you can replay a stage, you know that right?

dark10x

God damn, the sound quality is bad in this. I really love the music, but I'm reaching for the volume all the time. I was already aware of this, but it really hits home here. Most Dreamcast games sound like shit plain and simple.

If you stick with lower quality speakers it isn't as obvious but when pumped through a powerful home theater system it becomes painfully obvious that the sound quality just isn't up to snuff. The dynamic range is terrible, the mixing is terrible, everything is slightly scratchy, and channel separation sucks. I played Double Dragon Neon just after JSR, which is also mixed in stereo, and the difference was monumental.

It's a damn shame they didn't go back in there and remaster the audio (or at least the music). Playing from my DC as well it's obvious that there are no changes made to the audio quality. It sounds 100% identical coming from the DC.

Other than that I'm loving it. That 50 trick combo in the tutorial was tough but satisfying to nail.

i can't even do 30 in a row ..WTF
It's just a matter of doing laps, basically.

Start on the rail that begins near the stairs by the half-pipe. Get up speed and do a wall jump on the sign to the left. Land on the next rail, jump over the metal box and continue on the rail. Jump to the railing on the stairs, transfer to the other side and then back again on the right before the walkway end. Grind DOWN the trailing that goes towards the two platforms with the sign in between. Jump from the railing, wall grind the billboard, and then let your character fall down onto the next rail. This is the important part. If you jump from the billboard you won't have enough speed to jump back to the rail you started your trick on. You need to let yourself drop from the sign to the rail and then jump back to that first rail for another lap.

A very important tip that a lot of people struggle with: don't press a direction UNTIL you jump. If you hold left and then jump you'll go wildly off course and have too much air control. If you jump THEN steer you have decidedly LESS air control making it easier to line up the next rail. Also, if you get ahead of your self, gently pulling back on the stick can slow down your pace just enough to keep control.

God damn, the sound quality is bad in this. I really love the music, but I'm reaching for the volume all the time. I was already aware of this, but it really hits home here. Most Dreamcast games sound like shit plain and simple.

If you stick with lower quality speakers it isn't as obvious but when pumped through a powerful home theater system it becomes painfully obvious that the sound quality just isn't up to snuff. The dynamic range is terrible, the mixing is terrible, everything is slightly scratchy, and channel separation sucks. I played Double Dragon Neon just after JSR, which is also mixed in stereo, and the difference was monumental.

It's a damn shame they didn't go back in there and remaster the audio (or at least the music). Playing from my DC as well it's obvious that there are no changes made to the audio quality. It sounds 100% identical coming from the DC.

I have a good surround set up, too bad SEGA did not remasterd the audio... Sloppy.

Player the dc version for comparison again. A huuuge improvement I overlooked was the removal of pop in. The dc version has loads of pop in at all times and it's been removed here.

I do remember the pop-in. Good to know that it's been removed.

Muffdraul

This is the important part. If you jump from the billboard you won't have enough speed to jump back to the rail you started your trick on. You need to let yourself drop from the sign to the rail and then jump back to that first rail for another lap.

Not so, I was repeatedly able to wall jump off that billboard, land on the last green rail and manage to make the jump to the 'starting point' green rail. Never occurred to me to not wall jump there. I thought it was that wall jump that was giving me the momentum I needed to make that long jump. I did it twice in a row to get my 50 tricks.

Pretty sure we're talking about the same billboard- the one over the blue awning above the parked buses.

LaneDS

I agree that the sound is... a bit flat? I'm not sure how to put it. The main reason I went with the PS3 over PC was to play it loudly through my receiver and decent speakers, but it's not really providing that aural bliss I was hoping for. Oh well, still totally getting $9 worth of enjoyment out of it and hope that Sega eventually drops JSRFHD on us (which I recall sounding solid through the Xbox way back when).

Persona7

Banned
It seems like they probably did not have the original recordings anymore so they had to resort to using the compressed original dreamcast files.

dark10x

Not so, I was repeatedly able to wall jump off that billboard, land on the last green rail and manage to make the jump to the 'starting point' green rail. Never occurred to me to not wall jump there. I thought it was that wall jump that was giving me the momentum I needed to make that long jump.

Pretty sure we're talking about the same billboard- the one over the blue awning above the parked buses.
Hmph, I tried for like 10 minutes to make that jump after jumping from the billboard. Once I started NOT jumping from the billboard, however, I could EASILY make the next jump with room to spare every time. Made things much easier once I found that trick.

It seems like they probably did not have the original recordings anymore so they had to resort to using the compressed original dreamcast files.
They should have been able to at least get the original songs, though. They could have left the sound effect alone in all their poorly compressed glory but still introduce a better soundtrack. It's a damn shame they did not.

Hey dark10x, what do you think about the surround audio in Jet Set Radio Future on the Xbox? I've played that game yesterday and it sounds a lot better than JSR on the Dreamcast.

But JSR > JSRF.

It's really a shame hearing about the technical quality of this port. Sega talked up how much attention they were giving this project, and then they let the game ship in this state.

I want to rant about how pathetic it is, but it's just Sega being Sega. I'm still crossing my fingers the 360 version turned out better, but I'm beginning to doubt that's the case.

As small a thing as it may seem, it's still incredibly odd to have the same game get two completely different trophy/achievement lists. That really gives me the impression they took less time, or had a different team work on the PS3 version.

Ryan Davis's from Giantbomb claimed the 360 version was a technical disaster, so who knows what's going on here. Reports are different between users, even on the same platform.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Other than that I'm loving it. That 50 trick combo in the tutorial was tough but satisfying to nail.

It's just a matter of doing laps, basically.

Start on the rail that begins near the stairs by the half-pipe. Get up speed and do a wall jump on the sign to the left. Land on the next rail, jump over the metal box and continue on the rail. Jump to the railing on the stairs, transfer to the other side and then back again on the right before the walkway end. Grind DOWN the trailing that goes towards the two platforms with the sign in between. Jump from the railing, wall grind the billboard, and then let your character fall down onto the next rail. This is the important part. If you jump from the billboard you won't have enough speed to jump back to the rail you started your trick on. You need to let yourself drop from the sign to the rail and then jump back to that first rail for another lap.

A very important tip that a lot of people struggle with: don't press a direction UNTIL you jump. If you hold left and then jump you'll go wildly off course and have too much air control. If you jump THEN steer you have decidedly LESS air control making it easier to line up the next rail. Also, if you get ahead of your self, gently pulling back on the stick can slow down your pace just enough to keep control.

Not sure if you mentioned it before this, but did you try the game in stereo mode, by chance? Some games sound utterly terrible in surround mode, but fine in stereo... might be worth a shot.

But I'm guessing the bigger problem is gonna be stuff like the sound clipping and all that. I've got a nasty feeling I'm going to be less than enthused on my setup.

UrbanRats

Ah yes, one thing i remember from both JSR AND JSRF, is that there are basically two types of jumps from rails, and you have to know which one to use when.
One is by holding the direction and THEN jumping, this causes you character to jump in that direction at a 45° to 90° angle.
The other one is to Jump and THEN push in the desired direction, and this will let you go far more straight forward, for more fine tuned jumping.
This is pretty essential for combos.

Muffdraul

Hmph, I tried for like 10 minutes to make that jump after jumping from the billboard. Once I started NOT jumping from the billboard, however, I could EASILY make the next jump with room to spare every time. Made things much easier once I found that trick.

Your way is probably better, when I'd land on the rail I'd only have like barely a foot or two to grind on it before I reached the end and had to make the long jump.

Lucent

lol I think I'm just gonna give up on the tutorial trophy. It's def a testament to why I don't go for trophies. They some take way too much time and it becomes more of a chore than fun. Just gonna play the game and be done. =/

But it's really not hard. At all. Most of the levels are actually super easy.

The game doesn't tell you how to play it right. The onus is on you to learn it. You have to plan your route out, find the big tags, and target those first to spray them easily before the more difficult enemies are called in. You can really get away not doing that even to be honest. The game is a breeze and super forgiving.

Jet Set Radio just has the disadvantage of not falling into one of the very few control archetypes that are deemed acceptable for modern mainstream video games. It has it's own controls that you have to adjust to if you aren't familiar, a difficulty curve. I think that's fine but nowadays people are so used to being able to pick up every game and immediately know whats going on. So they tend to dismiss things immediately when they don't line up with that expectation.

It's a shame because the platforming in JSR is great, jumping from rail to rail to a wall-ride, over gaps, to another rail or wall, so satisfying. And it's that, "slow in air" movement with the crazy amount of air control that lets you pull off such crazy shit in those levels, it's so satisfying.

Killzone 2 and LBP get the same shit, and more and more old games are getting it too as the era of design they represent falls out of the norm. It really does suck because these games (in a lot of cases) are still great and hold up fine, you just have to be willing to get used to controls outside modern convention. Reviewers are on deadlines getting frustrated and not giving themselves the adequate time or being reasonably patient to tackle something new that takes getting used to. Sometimes, apparently, they don't even check the menus

It's happened to so many older game re-releases, knew it would happen with JGR just the same. Reading some re-release game reviews, it's incredible, they're just the biggest jokes possible.

8bit

Knows the Score
Played for an hour or so last night and was impressed again after 12 years about the whole package, why aren't there more brightly coloured games with hip-hop soundtracks and dancing gangs of robots on skates?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
not the game, I love the game. Im obviously talking about the new version
Last time I checked people were just complaining about framerates on PS3, but complaining about framerates on PS3 is like complaining about rain in Seattle.

Top Bottom