• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

There's varied reports on technical hiccups. From what I gather it seems to be worse on XBLA, but I've also seen a lot of impressions not noting any technical issues.

That is not what I've gathered from reading this thread. Both versions have had people reporting serious technical problems, while others then report the exact opposite. Almost as if the game runs poorly if you have a fragmented hard drive, otherwise it's ok. We really haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet.

Muffdraul

Jet Set Radio just has the disadvantage of not falling into one of the very few control archetypes that are deemed acceptable for modern mainstream video games. It has it's own controls that you have to adjust to if you aren't familiar, a difficulty curve. I think that's fine but nowadays people are so used to being able to pick up every game and immediately know whats going on. So they tend to dismiss things immediately when they don't line up with that expectation.

It's a shame because the platforming in JSR is great, jumping from rail to rail to a wall-ride, over gaps, to another rail or wall, so satisfying. And it's that, "slow in air" movement with the crazy amount of air control that lets you pull off such crazy shit in those levels, it's so satisfying.

Killzone 2 and LBP get the same shit, and more and more old games are getting it too as the era of design they represent falls out of the norm. It really does suck because these games (in a lot of cases) are still great and hold up fine, you just have to be willing to get used to controls outside modern convention. Reviewers are on deadlines getting frustrated and not giving themselves the adequate time or being reasonably patient to tackle something new that takes getting used to. Sometimes, apparently, they don't even check the menus

It's happened to so many older game re-releases, knew it would happen with JGR just the same. Reading some re-release game reviews, it's incredible, they're just the biggest jokes possible.

Good post. Ironic that you said it in response to a post that was originally directed at someone who played JSR in 2000, and who once wrote a review of Gunvalkyrie in which they admonished those who hated it only because they refused to take the time to learn how to properly use its uniquely bizarre controls. i.e. me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not sure if you mentioned it before this, but did you try the game in stereo mode, by chance? Some games sound utterly terrible in surround mode, but fine in stereo... might be worth a shot.

But I'm guessing the bigger problem is gonna be stuff like the sound clipping and all that. I've got a nasty feeling I'm going to be less than enthused on my setup.
Yeah, I'm running in stereo. I tried other modes to see if I could improve things a bit, but not go. The sound quality is just shit.

If you run it in a surround mode it plays entirely from the center channel.

Yeah, I'm running in stereo. I tried other modes to see if I could improve things a bit, but not go. The sound quality is just shit.

If you run it in a surround mode it plays entirely from the center channel.

I'm going to be very curious to see if it's the same on 360. I remember Rayman Origins behaving the same way on PS3 last year, while the 360 version did not.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm going to be very curious to see if it's the same on 360. I remember Rayman Origins behaving the same way on PS3 last year, while the 360 version did not.

There was no issue, just confusion.
Rayman Origins just did not have a surround mix.
On PS3 it will only play in 2.0.
On 360, it says, 5.1 DD, but only the left and right channels output sound, so it's stereo, and everyone was saying PS3 was missing surround.

Mixes are the same.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Uhh, there won't be a difference.

The 360 always "outputs" DD5.1 but that doesn't mean it's actually MIXED in 5.1. It's just an output method.

The PS3, however, outputs whatever the software supports.

Rayman Origins sounds infinitely better than JSR. It's not as if a stereo mix is automatically a bad thing, you know. It's simply the source material. It won't sound any better on 360. Mark my words.

On 360, it says, 5.1 DD, but only the left and right channels output sound, so it's stereo, and everyone was saying PS3 was missing surround.

Mixes are the same.

Yes, this is the truth.

But Beyond Good & Evil HD does not have a surround mix on 360! There is no sound coming from my rear speakers.
I'm very disappointed with this, i should have bought the PS3 version wich does have 5.1 (PCM) surround.

Who also noticed this? Please download both trial versions and see for yourself. It's stupid.

Mixes are the same.

Thanks for the clarification. I just remember going in that thread last fall and seeing PS3 users complaining.

Uhh, there won't be a difference.

The 360 always "outputs" DD5.1 but that doesn't mean it's actually MIXED in 5.1. It's just an output method.

The PS3, however, outputs whatever the software supports.

Rayman Origins sounds infinitely better than JSR. It's not as if a stereo mix is automatically a bad thing, you know. It's simply the source material. It won't sound any better on 360. Mark my words.

I wasn't thinking the quality would be better on 360, just the mixing.

Roto13

The more I play this game, the less I like it. It's turning out like LittleBigPlanet where the charm wears off and doesn't hide the crappy controls/physics any more.

spadge

Anyone know if this game is going to do the "buy on ps3, play on vita" thing? If not i'll hold off buying it until the vita version.

Beat it yesterday. Awesome game! I never had the heart to do the JET rankings for every stage on the Dreamcast version, so maybe I'll try it here.

I almost got this game, but then I remembered that most of my downloads have sound cutting out and the like. Almost every PSN game is completely messed up soundwise, and Way Of The Samurai 4 wasn't even playable.

Maybe getting a new harddrive would correct this problem. It's the only solution I've not tried.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I almost got this game, but then I remembered that most of my downloads have sound cutting out and the like. Almost every PSN game is completely messed up soundwise, and Way Of The Samurai 4 wasn't even playable.

Maybe getting a new harddrive would correct this problem. It's the only solution I've not tried.

Yeah, that's not normal at all.

DonMigs85

I dunno man, it could be your TV, receiver or the HDMI cable too.
On my old TV I never noticed sound cutting out, but with the new LG I got last July, every single PS3 game/video I play has the sound cut out for a second, then it comes back louder or with a different pitch.

I dunno man, it could be your TV, receiver or the HDMI cable too.
On my old TV I never noticed sound cutting out, but with the new LG I got last July, every single PS3 game/video I play has the sound cut out for a second, then it comes back louder or with a different pitch.

I bought another HDMI cord, and that didn't affect anything.

I'll try my other TV tomorrow, provided that I can find it.

Only nagging issue is, how can my TV's sound affect the framerate of a game?

I'm at the fourth stage now, the game run smooth as silk, not a single framedrop on my 360 slim. The controls work really well, is like i remember, just the same. The first documentary is amazing.

The music is compressed but good, voices are terrible, especially K.

Aspiring

I'm at the fourth stage now, the game run smooth as silk, not a single framedrop on my 360 slim. The controls work really well, is like i remember, just the same. The first documentary is amazing.

Ok thank you so much for that!
I am now more excited than ever! Wednesday cannot come soon enough Its killing me!!!

Glad to hear its running smoothly for you. This game must have issues with fragmented hard drives, because Ryan Davis from Giantbomb has said his 360 version was a disaster as far as framerate, hitching, stuttering, etc. Some have reported the same on the PS3, while others have seen nothing wrong.

Toppot

I know a lot of Gaf love this game so I downloaded the trial on PSN and gave it a go.

It appears that either this game is hard, or I am terrible at it (Probably the latter)

I'm doing the tutorial and I struggled to get a 20 combo, I can't get a 30 combo. I can't seem to jump far enough to connect to extra rails mainly bottom right corner (as you look at it from the start) I know I need to have a big blue grind on and be boosting (and jumping to get extra boost on a rail and I am holding X to jump further). Doing tricks vs just wanting to jump normally seems to be inconsistent. I know you have to be going fast to pull off an air trick but it doesn't seem to work when I want it to and does it when I don't want it to.

Is there something I am missing? Or am I just bad at this game?

I know a lot of Gaf love this game so I downloaded the trial on PSN and gave it a go.

It appears that either this game is hard, or I am terrible at it (Probably the latter)

I'm doing the tutorial and I struggled to get a 20 combo, I can't get a 30 combo. I can't seem to jump far enough to connect to extra rails mainly bottom right corner (as you look at it from the start) I know I need to have a big blue grind on and be boosting (and jumping to get extra boost on a rail and I am holding X to jump further). Doing tricks vs just wanting to jump normally seems to be inconsistent. I know you have to be going fast to pull off an air trick but it doesn't seem to work when I want it to and does it when I don't want it to.

Is there something I am missing? Or am I just bad at this game?

http://youtu.be/56Gh2NLdKT0

I think the controls are a bit as awkward as they were on Dreamcast, but mastering jump and momentum are key.

Finished it yesterday. I envy anyone playing having a smooth performance because the too often frame freezes and the camera wackiness hurt for me what was otherwise a fun nostalgia trip.

Yuterald

I forgot how much fun it is to scour the stages for Graffiti Souls. Some of those are hidden in some really old school platforming-like locations.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's awesome that a 12 year old Dreamcast game is getting new fans today with this re-release.

I remember the first time I saw images of the game in a magazine, I just had to have to game to see this new fandangled 'Cell Shading' in motion.

Really trying to resist buying on PS3 as I'd prefer it for my Vita, but the wait, it hurts.

I was able to do the 50 trick combo relatively quickly; the only issue I had was transferring from the last rail to the beginning. I was just barely missing it. Once I got it though, what a thrill. I don't think I bothered to finish the tutorial back in the day.

It's awesome that a 12 year old Dreamcast game is getting new fans today with this re-release.

I remember the first time I saw images of the game in a magazine, I just had to have to game to see this new fandangled 'Cell Shading' in motion.

Really trying to resist buying on PS3 as I'd prefer it for my Vita, but the wait, it hurts.

I couldn't resist. I will get it for Vita as well.

BUY IT NOW.

Jet Set Radio just has the disadvantage of not falling into one of the very few control archetypes that are deemed acceptable for modern mainstream video games. It has it's own controls that you have to adjust to if you aren't familiar, a difficulty curve. I think that's fine but nowadays people are so used to being able to pick up every game and immediately know whats going on. So they tend to dismiss things immediately when they don't line up with that expectation.

It's a shame because the platforming in JSR is great, jumping from rail to rail to a wall-ride, over gaps, to another rail or wall, so satisfying. And it's that, "slow in air" movement with the crazy amount of air control that lets you pull off such crazy shit in those levels, it's so satisfying.

Killzone 2 and LBP get the same shit, and more and more old games are getting it too as the era of design they represent falls out of the norm. It really does suck because these games (in a lot of cases) are still great and hold up fine, you just have to be willing to get used to controls outside modern convention. Reviewers are on deadlines getting frustrated and not giving themselves the adequate time or being reasonably patient to tackle something new that takes getting used to. Sometimes, apparently, they don't even check the menus

It's happened to so many older game re-releases, knew it would happen with JGR just the same. Reading some re-release game reviews, it's incredible, they're just the biggest jokes possible.

This is everything I wanted to say in a much neater and more polite fashion. I just get so angry when today's gamers are so spoiled that the thought of needing to adapt to a more archaic system of play pushes them to label it as "shit" or "having aged poorly". Yeah it's been 12 damn years, and if it weren't for this poorly aged game, we'd be missing a lot of the progress and breakthroughs of your perfect, easy to control modern game. I'm ranting, amazing post nonetheless.

thundr51

Anybody know if any of these versions will allow custom tags?

Not sure if I want to pick this up since I already have this on DC in both English and JP.

bwahhhhh

picked this up for PS3, haven't played it in around 7-8 years, but it was the final "crown jewel" of the Dreamcast library that I was waiting for to be ported.

Things are generally pretty good, though I am getting framedrops in several places. I just made it to Bantam Street, and damn, it was framedrop city. I remember the levels that were added to the US version being less polished than the original Japanese levels, and there were definitely a lot of instances of slowdown, but I don't remember it being this bad. (60GB US launch PS3 with a 320GB drive) But, like I said, it's been 7-8 years.

And though the control scheme is considered "archaic", despite my 7 year absence from the game, I didn't get less than a Jet or Nitro on any level until the first Bantam Street one. (got Engine) Like riding a bike.

One thing I wish they had offered is a voice option, I always preferred the Japanese voices. maybe (probably) because I played that version first. Also, I liked Cube's Japanese character model more.

Top Bottom