• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
Nope, none at all. Not yet at least.
No stuttering here either (Fat 40GB PS3 - but I'm using a Hybrid SSD inside it).

The loading-screen animation has pauses, but no glitches with music or gameplay so far. A bit bummed about no 60fps though.
One thing worth noting is that the right-stick camera control is using some bizarre "discrete-value" panning so it isn't smooth, but that's not related to framerate at all. IIRC in DC it was mapped to buttons? so it was not smooth either.

Big difference with draw-in, pop-in improvements over original, and yea I second the opinions that controls are better. I could never hit motion-tagging that precisely on DC.

I completed the game over the weekend. Bar a couple of bouts of slowdown here and there I really enjoyed it. I'd forgotten how easy
Gouji
was.

I'm now going back through the game a second time to get Jet ratings on all the levels.
Whats the best tactics to do the last 3 big levels? Especially the one in Kogane cho which seems like a pain from beginning to end. The snipers are a pain at the beginning but the flying guys are even worse and makes it really hard to do any of the big tags. I'm using Yoyo by the way as he gets a nice points bonus on larger graffiti tags compared to most other characters

Pietepiet

Whats the best tactics to do the last 3 big levels? Especially the one in Kogane cho which seems like a pain from beginning to end. The snipers are a pain at the beginning but the flying guys are even worse and makes it really hard to do any of the big tags. I'm using Yoyo by the way as he gets a nice points bonus on larger graffiti tags compared to most other characters

Clear the entire stage of big tags first, then go for medium, then for small. That's how I usually do it. Three laps around the whole stage. Leave one Small tag near an infinite trick loop so you can rack up the points and tag it in the last couple seconds.

dose

I know a lot of Gaf love this game so I downloaded the trial on PSN and gave it a go.

It appears that either this game is hard, or I am terrible at it (Probably the latter)

I'm doing the tutorial and I struggled to get a 20 combo, I can't get a 30 combo. I can't seem to jump far enough to connect to extra rails mainly bottom right corner (as you look at it from the start) I know I need to have a big blue grind on and be boosting (and jumping to get extra boost on a rail and I am holding X to jump further). Doing tricks vs just wanting to jump normally seems to be inconsistent. I know you have to be going fast to pull off an air trick but it doesn't seem to work when I want it to and does it when I don't want it to.

Is there something I am missing? Or am I just bad at this game?
This is one of the main problems I had with the DC version (which I played recently). Very poor controls imo.

I know a lot of Gaf love this game so I downloaded the trial on PSN and gave it a go.

It appears that either this game is hard, or I am terrible at it (Probably the latter)

I'm doing the tutorial and I struggled to get a 20 combo, I can't get a 30 combo. I can't seem to jump far enough to connect to extra rails mainly bottom right corner (as you look at it from the start) I know I need to have a big blue grind on and be boosting (and jumping to get extra boost on a rail and I am holding X to jump further). Doing tricks vs just wanting to jump normally seems to be inconsistent. I know you have to be going fast to pull off an air trick but it doesn't seem to work when I want it to and does it when I don't want it to.

Is there something I am missing? Or am I just bad at this game?

Why frustating yourself trying to do something so hard? Go and play the real game! :)

Jet Set Radio just has the disadvantage of not falling into one of the very few control archetypes that are deemed acceptable for modern mainstream video games. It has it's own controls that you have to adjust to if you aren't familiar, a difficulty curve. I think that's fine but nowadays people are so used to being able to pick up every game and immediately know whats going on. So they tend to dismiss things immediately when they don't line up with that expectation.

It's a shame because the platforming in JSR is great, jumping from rail to rail to a wall-ride, over gaps, to another rail or wall, so satisfying. And it's that, "slow in air" movement with the crazy amount of air control that lets you pull off such crazy shit in those levels, it's so satisfying.

Killzone 2 and LBP get the same shit, and more and more old games are getting it too as the era of design they represent falls out of the norm. It really does suck because these games (in a lot of cases) are still great and hold up fine, you just have to be willing to get used to controls outside modern convention. Reviewers are on deadlines getting frustrated and not giving themselves the adequate time or being reasonably patient to tackle something new that takes getting used to. Sometimes, apparently, they don't even check the menus

It's happened to so many older game re-releases, knew it would happen with JGR just the same. Reading some re-release game reviews, it's incredible, they're just the biggest jokes possible.

thank you :) ...

Clear the entire stage of big tags first, then go for medium, then for small. That's how I usually do it. Three laps around the whole stage. Leave one Small tag near an infinite trick loop so you can rack up the points and tag it in the last couple seconds.

Cool thanks. I'll give them a shot later today, with a couple of tries I reckon I can get them done. I've checked a couple of youtube vids to get the best paths down for a couple of the levels.

Toppot

http://youtu.be/56Gh2NLdKT0

I think the controls are a bit as awkward as they were on Dreamcast, but mastering jump and momentum are key.

Finished it yesterday. I envy anyone playing having a smooth performance because the too often frame freezes and the camera wackiness hurt for me what was otherwise a fun nostalgia trip.
Thanks. That's the rout I've been trying. I've got better at jumping but now the bugger won't wall ride. He will either jump in the wall or wall ride for half a second then drop off. The mechanic seems to work 1 out of 10 times. The controls are just awful.

This is one of the main problems I had with the DC version (which I played recently). Very poor controls imo.
Glad I'm not alone. They need tutorials explaining the exact angles to do things and when to press/let go of buttons with exact timing. Frustrating controls.

Why frustating yourself trying to do something so hard? Go and play the real game! :)
I'll give the first level a go. Given how the controls fight me to do simple things like wall ride or jump striaght I dunno how I'll fair.

Sushigod7

Excited to pick up tomorrow haven't played for probably 8-9 years. The controls aren't a issue just play for awhile it will click. Much like everyone says for TWEWY. This game is to good to miss, the music the environments and the characters! Just get it already, I'm double dipping PS3 tomorrow Vita next month.

Erigu

So... er... Which tracks are missing, in the end? Yappie Feet and Many Styles? Or is one of those in after all? The first post says the game has 29 tracks out of 30, but then lists only 28 of them...

Persona7

Banned
So... er... Which tracks are missing, in the end? Yappie Feet and Many Styles? Or is one of those in after all? The first post says the game has 29 tracks out of 30, but then lists only 28 of them...

Yappie feet is the only song missing from the North American version. The other song was never in that version so it isn't missing.

Many Styles and Yappie feet are missing from the PAL version.

Erigu

Yappie feet is the only song missing from the North American version. The other song was never in that version so it isn't missing.
Many Styles and Yappie feet are missing from the PAL version.
Oh, I see, thanks you.
So the first post is wrong and it's 28 tracks out of 30, actually (since that list compiles all tracks from all versions, I believe)? And that thing about Sega managing to secure one more song right before the release of the game wasn't true after all?

UrbanRats

Oh, I see, thanks you.
So the first post is wrong and it's 28 tracks out of 30, actually (since that list compiles all tracks from all versions, I believe)? And that thing about Sega managing to secure one more song right before the release of the game wasn't true after all?

They did a fine job anyway, i expected a far more incomplete tracklist.

I'm now going back through the game a second time to get Jet ratings on all the levels.

You can try the infinite trick method (which may be better), but I just use graffiti score. My basic strategy is:

Red tags anger the enemies, green tags don't. The game will warn you when the flying guys are one red tag away from arriving. That is your chance to get lots of green tags for free before they arrive. Also, I would suggest not getting any red tags at the beginning of the level in the area you start. Those are not very hard tags, and you want to end up with easy tags at the end when the enemies are really tough. Start with the red tags you don't want left over at the end

Robso

Never played this back when it first came out. Played the demo. Is it basically just putting graffiti on things whilst scating, or is there more?

I don't intend the above to come across as though I'm criticising. Just couldn't think of a better way to put it.

Thanks.

Never played this back when it first came out. Played the demo. Is it basically just putting graffiti on things whilst scating, or is there more?

I don't intend the above to come across as though I'm criticising. Just couldn't think of a better way to put it.

Thanks.

Is Mario basically running to the right while you jump?

Is Call of Duty basically running around shooting guys?

Skyzard

Banned
The skating around the levels while going for the difficult tags is a major part of what makes it awesome as well.

Skating is wicked. It is basically a skating platformer with arcade mechanics and an awesome art style with a soundtrack to match.

The fact that controls are slightly less forgiving then how most games have their controls these days just means it takes a little more practice. See it as bumping the replayability :p

samman6

Is there any one else out there that only plays the trick attack mode, and infinite grinds as long as possible. So awesome.

You can try the infinite trick method (which may be better), but I just use graffiti score. My basic strategy is:

Red tags anger the enemies, green tags don't. The game will warn you when the flying guys are one red tag away from arriving. That is your chance to get lots of green tags for free before they arrive. Also, I would suggest not getting any red tags at the beginning of the level in the area you start. Those are not very hard tags, and you want to end up with easy tags at the end when the enemies are really tough. Start with the red tags you don't want left over at the end

That worked like a charm for unlocking
the Noise Tank and Love Shocker, just need to get Poison Jam now
. Such great fun, I must have played the game through on my Dremcast a dozen times and I'm still not bored of it yet!

Anteater

Is this coming out on the asia store today/tomorrow? Says coming soon on the store and there's no date (the store is updated with the new demos). Their blog made no mention of it either.

I got a corrupt save once. Thankfully it was after only a couple of stages so took no time to get back to the point I was at but was worrying none the less. Now I always exit back to title screen via the hub and then quit the game from there just to be on the safe side. I've been fine ever since (hopefully not tempting fate!)

Top Bottom