• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

JJSignal

Neo Member
No framerate problems just yet, though texture flickering in some areas occurs often.
1920x1080 MSAA 8
i7 930, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 260.

Then again, I've only really been in the tutorial area and first mission.
Also, it appears that while I guess 360 controllers are supported, the Logitech Dual Action isn't really. Button 8 (a shoulder button) is start, while 2 is back, and 1 is jump. The rest of the buttons (sans analog sticks/dpad) don't seem to work. This is particularly frustraing, as using the keyboard for spray paint actions with curves is absolutely dreadful. Am I missing something in the settings for gamepads?

No framerate problems just yet, though texture flickering in some areas occurs often.
1920x1080 MSAA 8
i7 930, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 260.

Then again, I've only really been in the tutorial area and first mission.
Also, it appears that while I guess 360 controllers are supported, the Logitech Dual Action isn't really. Button 8 (a shoulder button) is start, while 2 is back, and 1 is jump. The rest of the buttons (sans analog sticks/dpad) don't seem to work. This is particularly frustraing, as using the keyboard for spray paint actions with curves is absolutely dreadful. Am I missing something in the settings for gamepads?

I am shocked to hear that.

haikira

The little documentary is surprisingly good, respect to the people who made that. Money was evidently spent and people cared. That sort of thing is usually complete garbage.

Yeah. It was a lot better than i was expecting too. Was expecting just a glorified advert. But it's quite insightful. Would definitely recommend people check it out.

UrbanRats

iyo98OiomFAj5.png

Completed the tutorial and still not a problem.
rocksolid 30 fps during gameplay and 60 fps in menus.

Yeah. It was a lot better than i was expecting too. Was expecting just a glorified advert. But it's quite insightful. Would definitely recommend people check it out.

Yeah just watched it, nice addition.
Here's hoping we'll get Future too, in the near.. future.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Is the 30fps lock one of those things that within the next few days someone will have fixed with a little mod? I'm completely naive when it comes to these things, but am I wrong in thinking the 30fps lock wouldn't be that difficult to remove?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How the hell are you supposed to get a 20x combo in the tutorial? Coming to this from JSRF is mind-blowing in how they made the game "easier" but also better playing becuase in Future you could just hammer X while grinding to rack up combos. Here there's no such ability and you basically have to grind grind grind grind grind while waiting for the game to register a "trick" and the tutorial area doesn't have a long enough grind and trying to land on another rail is damn near impossible at speed (another improvement Future did).

That said, the game is fun but really frustrating.

Is the 30fps lock one of those things that within the next few days someone will have fixed with a little mod? I'm completely naive when it comes to these things, but am I wrong in thinking the 30fps lock wouldn't be that difficult to remove?
When people were reporting the game running less than 30FPS, they mentioned the game ran in slow-motion alongside it.

Sounds like framerate is tied to gameplay, so probably not happening.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
When people were reporting the game running less than 30FPS, they mentioned the game ran in slow-motion alongside it.

Sounds like framerate is tied to gameplay, so probably not happening.

Bah. That's unfortunate. Well, I'll very likely be picking it up when it drops to $5 either way.

Pietepiet

How the hell are you supposed to get a 20x combo in the tutorial? Coming to this from JSRF is mind-blowing in how they made the game "easier" but also better playing becuase in Future you could just hammer X while grinding to rack up combos. Here there's no such ability and you basically have to grind grind grind grind grind while waiting for the game to register a "trick" and the tutorial area doesn't have a long enough grind and trying to land on another rail is damn near impossible at speed (another improvement Future did).

Gotta build up speed so you can jump from rail to rail :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffFtdJkEXw8

UrbanRats

You have to loop different grinds.
I did the 100 combo achievement fairly quickly, after taking confidence with the controls back.

The tricky part is gaining enough speed to connect different rails (more speed=longer jump).

TheOGB

Banned
Playing the 360 demo. Other than running in a stupid little window on my 4:3 TV (feels bad, man), no problems here.

Maybe they'll stick the GBA version on smartphones :p
I'd buy that
I wouldn't, but only because I'm on Android; I'll get a free version eventually :V

Noticing lots of little stuff that isn't right in the XBLA version.

I don't have an HDTV in range of my broadband and I never bought a wireless adapter for my Xbox, so I mainly play it on a computer monitor next to my PC. It's old, but gets the job done, so most of what I play on it is 4:3. JSRHD does not like 4:3 apparently; tagging gesture icons will overlap each other, and the Sega Heritage logo at the start completely failed to play correctly.

Some of the animations don't look right. When Beat does the trick where he jumps off a rail and does the splits in mid-air, there's a frame where his model jitters a little bit in a weird way.

DJ Professor K's volume has been cranked WAY too loud. He's clipping out over the music in the worst way.

I've failed tagging gesture QTEs for what feels like absolutely no reason. I make it a point to replay Jet Set Radio at least once a year (usually on September 9th, for obvious reasons), so I still have pretty good "muscle memory" as far as tagging gestures go, and sometimes following my muscle memory ends up in me failing a tag.

Lots of other little graphical problems, too. Most of it seems to be Zbuffer/blending problems; you know how in some PC games, textures with alpha-blending or transparency will make the polygons behind them look weird or not display correctly? That's happening a lot, here.

Other rendering problems including not setting the right blending type for some of the police siren lights - their textures look opaque instead of using additive blending or whatever.

Minor complaints include: I kind of wish there was a language setting to switch between JP/US voices, and given how dark this monitor is I wish there was a brightness setting because I cannot see SHIT in some areas of Benten-cho.

Regarding the framerate cap people are complaining about, an oddity I noticed in the XBLA version: When you press start on the titlescreen and it fades to the "load file" screen or whatever, during that fade the game will briefly switch to what looks like 60fps mode to me, so I think it's definitely possible. They're just forcing it to cap at 30.

No thanks. This is the better game in a lot of people's minds.

Say that if you want, but like other posters have said, coming back to JSR after playing JSRF is rough because JSRF has VASTLY improved controls.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
A game made for 30fps just looks and runs a hell of a lot smoother than a game made for 60fps that can only manage 30fps on your system. BUT... it's still not 60fps.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hrmm..... well, if a reboot is all it took to fix it, I think I can live with that.

Guess I'll pick it up and stream this shit tonight, as planned.

So, it's not a shitty port.
Not at all. I played the tutorial, picked Gum and played the first level with a 360 pad. It ran at a smooth 30FPS with MSAA maxed at 1366x768. This was on my latop with a 7670M and quad core AMD CPU. Didn't need to restart my computer either.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hrmm..... well, if a reboot is all it took to fix it, I think I can live with that.
It worked right away for some people, so I'm guessing it was a driver it installs (which needs a reboot to be active) that some people had installed already.

Tain

And to expand on this, I think that the reason Dark Souls got a 60fps mod was because Dark Souls actually had conditional logic that kicked in when the game went below 30, logic that I guess could be flipped around? Not a typical way to handle fluctuating framerates, that's for sure.

Tain

Lots of other little graphical problems, too. Most of it seems to be Zbuffer/blending problems; you know how in some PC games, textures with alpha-blending or transparency will make the polygons behind them look weird or not display correctly? That's happening a lot, here.

[...]

Say that if you want, but like other posters have said, coming back to JSR after playing JSRF is rough because JSRF has VASTLY improved controls.

I think I remember zbuffer issues in the Dreamcast original, actually. Or are you seeing them in huge, noticeable areas?

And "less restrictive" isn't the same as "vastly improved." It's not like there's senseless lag in JSR or anything!

And to expand on this, I think that the reason Dark Souls got a 60fps mod was because Dark Souls actually had conditional logic that kicked in when the game went below 30, logic that I guess could be flipped around? Not a typical way to handle fluctuating framerates, that's for sure.

Well, I know the XBLA version can run 60fps. I'm not crazy; it really does very briefly switch to 60fps during the title screen transition. It's super weird.

Veal

Running fine with:
HD 6870
i5 3750K
Logitech 310 pad

I noticed that the game shoots to 60fps when:
1. Transitioning from menu to gameplay
2. In menus
3. During fade ins/outs
So maybe there is hope for getting a fully stable 60fps during gameplay? I guess some enterprising, dashing, and handsome individual would have to mod it to make it so.

Menus are not gameplay.

I get that. I'm not saying the MENU is running 60fps. I'm saying that it is when it's running the titlescreen demo - of a computer player doing laps around Shibuya-cho. You press start, and it brings up the big Start/Load/etc. menu while the gameplay is still running in the background.

When you select something from that menu, the gameplay fades out, and while it's fading out on the gameplay, before the next menu comes up, the gameplay suddenly jumps to displaying at 60fps instead of 30.

I'd capture video of it to demonstrate but unfortunately my capture card can't capture 60fps video.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Running fine with:
HD 6870
i5 3750K
Logitech 310 pad

I noticed that the game shoots to 60fps when:
1. Transitioning from menu to gameplay
2. In menus
3. During fade ins/outs
So maybe there is hope for getting a fully stable 60fps during gameplay? I guess some enterprising, dashing, and handsome individual would have to mod it to make it so.

I'd prioritize Yappy Feet's insertion first. o:

UrbanRats

The fact that everything minus actual gameplay runs at 60fps, means there must be a very specific reason why it can't.
Don't get your hopes up; now about Yappie Feet..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The fact that everything minus actual gameplay runs at 60fps, means there must be a very specific reason why it can't.
I suspect the gameplay is tied to specific timing in such a way that increasing framerate actually doubles gameplay speed (similar to Dark Souls). There has to be a reason for this limit.

The fact that the PC version hits 60 fps in menus and such definitely points to that.

Blizzard

Banned
Don't get your hopes up; now about Yappie Feet..
I guess I missed this whole thing. Why is Yappie Feet the only one excluded? I'm guessing they do not have rights to sell the game, so people would have to get rights to the song to mod it in somehow? Can one buy the original soundtrack somehow to get the song that way?

Jarmel

Banned
Trying to use the PC keyboard controls and running into issues with the graffiti. When you have to do stuff that has a curve to it, the game isn't recognizing it and you fail the move. How are you supposed to do it then?

I suspect the gameplay is tied to specific timing in such a way that increasing framerate actually doubles gameplay speed (similar to Dark Souls). There has to be a reason for this limit.

The fact that the PC version hits 60 fps in menus and such definitely points to that.

The thing is, during these menu transitions where you can catch glimpses of 60fps gameplay, it does not appear to be doubling in speed.

Grizza

The documentary is awesome! So happy to be playing this game again after all these years. The nostalgia factor is heavy with Jet Set Radio.

Top Bottom