• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

Uthred

The incessant unthinking whining about 60fps, whether it noticable affects the gameplay or not , about every pc port is immensely tedious.

Nabs

Awww yeahhhhhh, just grabbed the PC version. This is awesome.

I just need to find out why my loading screen is running at half speed, and I'll be good.

I can't wait for the Steam hub to populate with custom graffiti.

So this is my first time actually playing Jet Set Radio.

The main beef everybody has with the game is that you have to tag all the Red Arrows in a stage, you have pretty much no hand holding to where these Red Arrows are, you have no checkpoint system and, if you don't get them all in one go, the counter restarts?

Sure, that's a shitty thing to do, but that's the game. You have to learn each stage (which will be a pain in the ass, I'm sure, and I'll be watching some guides on YouTube FOR SURE), but yeah. Old game is old.

Runs pretty well, and you can get a glimpse of 60 FPS when you're transitioning in and out of menus, while it's dimming the screen.

I wonder if this will get any mods?
Has the map always been in the game? I beat the game when I was younger on DC and today am suprised to see a map. The game is still hard though I love it! Thankyoy based sega.

kafiend

Bought it to send my thumbs up message to Sega - lets have some more!

Its late, but I played it for 10 minutes. I'd forgotten how much I love this game.

Played the PS3 version and the audio quality of the songs sounds like shit compared to the 360 version! Very muffled and dull, increasing volume doesn't make it any better.
I've been switching between them to compare the differences. Listening to both versions in PCM stereo 48Khz.

Rather bizarre because both versions are almost equal in size. 990 MB on 360, 1103 MB on PS3. 360 version is also more vibrant looking to my eyes.
I have also noticed framedrops at the beginning of the game with all the cars passing by. Did noticed that on 360.

And those damn triggers on the DualShock. My fingers keeps slipping off and you can't change the button layout. Feels very uncomfortable.

Go for the 360 version if you have the choise.

jett

D-Member
Played the PS3 version and the audio quality of the songs sounds like shit compared to the 360 version! Very muffled and dull, increasing volume doesn't make it any better.
I've been switching between them to compare the differences. Listening to both versions in PCM stereo 48Khz.

Rather bizarre because both versions are almost equal in size. 990 MB on 360, 1103 MB on PS3. 360 version is also more vibrant looking to my eyes.
I have also noticed slowedown at the beginning of the game with all the cars passing by. Did noticed that on 360.

And those damn triggers on the DualShock. My fingers keeps slipping off and you can't change the button layout. Feels very uncomfortable.

Go for the PC version actually, seems to run on virtually every machine from the last 5 years, locked at 30fps with no stuttering. My CPU is from 2007, GPU from 2008, I'm running the thing at 1080p with some AA thrown in to boot. :lol

Tain

The incessant unthinking whining about 60fps, whether it noticable affects the gameplay or not , about every pc port is immensely tedious.

I understand the desire for the game to be 60fps, and it's actually impossible for the jump from 30 to 60 to not affect the game. I understand why people want it so badly. I just don't know that enough people realize the effort that it would have taken to make the game run at 60. Not every engine is like Quake!

Hopefully as we get more re-releases of 3D 30fps games we'll see less discussion focused solely on a port's framerate. I don't think it's that bad in this thread, especially given the people actually running into weird performance issues.

I understand the desire for the game to be 60fps, and it's actually impossible for the jump from 30 to 60 to not affect the game. I understand why people want it so badly. I just don't know that enough people realize the effort that it would have taken to make the game run at 60. Not every engine is like Quake!

Hopefully as we get more re-releases of 3D 30fps games we'll see less discussion focused solely on a port's framerate. I don't think it's that bad in this thread, especially given the people actually running into weird performance issues.

Yeah, for all the people talking about the brief transition to 60fps when you bring up the menu, if you look closely, you'll see that the game speed doubles when it does so - it is literally moving twice as fast as it should be. A fix for this would likely require an entire rewrite of the base rendering engine - separating game logic updates from framerate.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It sounds like an inconsequential bullet point but 30fps really mars the experience when you've been used to 60 and above for years. There's a distinct "wrongness" to it. It's comparable to being forced to watch a film with motion interpolation.

But if Dark Souls can be fixed then there's hope for JGR.

Blizzard

Banned
The issue is whether rewriting parts of old engines and/or redoing animation and game logic is in the budget and capabilities of the people doing the ports. I'd rather have constant 30 fps than no port at all, even though 60 fps would be better.

I have also noticed framedrops at the beginning of the game with all the cars passing by. Did noticed that on 360.

Well, I'm sorry to hear the PS3 version got the short end of the stick once again, but I can't say I'm surprised.

I was just coming here to post my impressions, because I downloaded the 360 demo and it was running flawlessly for me, and the sound quality sounded pretty good on my surround system. Certainly nothing like people had described with the PS3 version. Scratchy voices, etc. It's not a true surround mix, as everything is just projected out of all the speakers, but it sounds fine.

At the end of the day I had several reasons for suspecting the PS3 version got the short end of the stick. Only the 360 version was shown publicly in the spring right after the game was announced. Then there was the oddly short trophy list, which might seem meaningless on the surface, but I suspected that might be an indication of the effort that was out into that version in general.

I'm an hour into the 360 version and I've literally got no complaints. This is the game exactly as I remember it, only looking and running even better. Couldn't be happier getting this for $10.

I'd still love to find out how people like Ryan Davis encountered "massive performance issues" with the 360 version. Mind boggling.

B-Dex

I got the PC version on steam. Runs like a dream even on my ancient PC. Wonder why the PS3 one can't run it as well.

scitek

It sounds like an inconsequential bullet point but 30fps really mars the experience when you've been used to 60 and above for years. There's a distinct "wrongness" to it. It's comparable to being forced to watch a film with motion interpolation.

It's not ever "required" for me to enjoy a game, but it never hurts. And from playing this for the first time in a decade, having never really put a ton of time into it back then, I think it would benefit greatly from 60fps due to the nature of timing jumps and whatnot. I said in the Dark Souls fix thread that I don't mind 30fps if I can play at near-bullshot quality, and thankfully I can downsample from 1620p+8xMSAA without any trouble.

jetsetradio_2012_09_1exkdb.png

playing this again made me realize u can be halfway through a level collecting G.souls etc, then a fucking car or truck pushes you straight outta the level and have to start again.

good memories,lol

d0c_zaius

I cant even get more than 15 fps. 30 would be awesome.

and I can play most of DS with 30 easy.

apparently rebooting the PC will fix it. hope it does!

Tain

We don't know yet. Dark Souls used a fixed time step engine with some additional logic in there to manage sub-30fps situations that could be manipulated to get 60fps. This game does nothing of the sort; when it goes below 30, you get slow motion, like any other older Japanese engine.

I wouldn't expect it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Get 20 tricks, then the tutorial wants 30. Best I can do is 22 tricks before I have to jump over the roofs to the one handrail to get back to the handrail to wallgrind to loop. Fucks sake, how many of these does this tutorial want for me to complete it? :|

And fucks sake, I must be doing something wrong because anytime I wallgrind it ends two milliseconds later and I don't get enough air to cross the gap to complete the loop. EVERY. TIME. WTF. :/

While others have explained it in the thread, it's basically like this: There's two types of framerates in videogames; we'll call them "Static" and "Variable".

Variable framerates are what most modern games have. This allows the framerate to fluctuate with performance of the game. Even if a game says it is "locked" at a specific framerate, it more than likely still has a variable framerate and they're just capping it so it never exceeds a specific number (or it's just silly marketing hyperbole for "we've optimized our game really lots").

Static framerates are what many older games have. A static framerate is ACTUALLY locked at a specific number and the game's whole entire internal timing logic is based on this static framerate. In this case, if you change the framerate, you change the speed of the game. If you have a game that runs at 30fps, change the framerate to 15fps and suddenly the whole game is running at half speed, like it was moving in bullet time. Change it to 60fps, and now everything is moving twice as fast.

A more simple way to put it:

Variable framerates = skips frames to keep the game always running at full speed
Static framerates = does not skip frames, so the game lags if something processing-intensive happens

Dark Souls had a variable framerate that was capped at a maximum of 30fps. Therefore, it was possible to remove the cap and let the game's framerate fluctuate up to 60fps.

Jet Set Radio has a static framerate. I didn't think it did at first, but it most definitely does. There probably is no easy way to boost the framerate without making serious and extensive modifications to the game logic, and at that point you might as well just re-write the entire game from scratch.

tl;dr Jet Set Radio is an old game and this is just the way old games work. Suck it up, because there's nothing wrong with 30fps, especially given the game was designed for it.

It's funny; based on a YouTube video, I was expecting a mission where you go into the area where you were taught how to ride cars up hills, but instead I got the same mission you get from the old Official Dreamcast Magazine demo - meaning I was wasting valuable "x completed graffitis until cops show up" spots on one-shots instead of tackling the busses like any smart player would do - like I knew to do in said demo. Which meant I had to do two busses with the cops jumping on me. Guess I'm out of the running for that "complete the game without cops jumping on you" achievement! Or would be, anyway, if the game didn't crash when I finished the round.

Also, I swear doing the graffiti motions on my 360 pad is giving me blisters.

TheSeks

I couldn't even do 10 tricks... but I think I have an idea of how to do them now thanks to playing the campaign.

You have to grind and keep momentum for the game to register tricks. It's stupid as hell coming from JSRF to this because in JSRF you could simply smash X and rack up a high-combo score as fast as you could get Beat to change his footing.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You check the global achievement progress? Seems a little off to me.
He's completely insane. I have 9th on Kogane-cho so I was working to improve my score and checked the top people... WTF @ THE DRAGONBORN.

Get 20 tricks, then the tutorial wants 30. Best I can do is 22 tricks before I have to jump over the roofs to the one handrail to get back to the handrail to wallgrind to loop. Fucks sake, how many of these does this tutorial want for me to complete it? :|
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffFtdJkEXw8

And fucks sake, I must be doing something wrong because anytime I wallgrind it ends two milliseconds later and I don't get enough air to cross the gap to complete the loop. EVERY. TIME. WTF. :/
Jump early, do not hold the jump button, then he will grind on the wall upon coming in contact with it (it seems automatic, but it is because you are holding RT, the real grind button), as he is still grinding the wall, press the jump button and he will jump off. He will actually jump off so hard you may need some practice to figure out how to not overshoot the rail.

Guess I'm out of the running for that "complete the game without cops jumping on you" achievement! Or would be, anyway, if the game didn't crash when I finished the round.
Looking at the new phrasing, I think that achievement applies to any new game you start. It's still a bitch, though.

jett

D-Member
30fps is not an issue, it looks fantastic in motion. When a game is 100% locked at 30fps I really have no issues with the framerate, unless it's a fast moving game like a racer.

Some screens:

jsr5enlm8.jpg

jsr12slun.jpg

jsr2p5yw4.jpg

jsr31hb0c.jpg

jsr4gdaww.jpg

For twelve year-old Dreamcast game it looks completely unbelievable. Magnificent texture work and art design that will last throughout the ages, it seems. It even comes with a documentary on the development of the original game! Clearly someone at Sega cares deeply about JSR. God bless him/her.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Man, racing tab is a bitch. How come he can hit me so hard I fly the opposite direction but I can't hit him?

I agree with someone who said it really needs a "retart" option on the pause menu. Going back to the main menu doesn't make sense for something based on making runs and high scores with leaderboards. If you know you fucked up, you just want to start over the same level with the same character.

TheSeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffFtdJkEXw8

Jump early, do not hold the jump button, then he will grind on the wall upon coming in contact with it (it seems automatic, but it is because you are holding RT, the real grind button), as he is still grinding the wall, press the jump button and he will jump off. He will actually jump off so hard you may need some practice to figure out how to not overshoot the rail.

Wait, I have to hold R2/Boost to do the wallgrind? That may be where I'm screwing up. Also how do you keep momentum for long grinds? It seems if I hop so many rails I just lose momentum? I have to keep R2/Boost down?

Wait, I have to hold R2/Boost to do the wallgrind? That may be where I'm screwing up. Also how do you keep momentum for long grinds? It seems if I hop so many rails I just lose momentum? I have to keep R2/Boost down?

I don't think R2/boost have anything to do with speed while on rails. Jumping while on a rail will speed you up though. Watch some youtube videos of the infinite grind loops in JSR, might give you a better idea.

TheSeks

I don't think R2/boost have anything to do with speed while on rails. Jumping while on a rail will speed you up though. Watch some youtube videos of the infinite grind loops in JSR, might give you a better idea.

I got the general idea. I just can't get the gaps to work. :/ Wallriding won't let me wallride. Jumping the gaps won't let me hit them. I end up too short or not even making the rail. It's pretty annoying.

played a little bit of it before on steam... so silky smooth. Delicious.

Now for JSRF! I love both so much I NEED IT. While I think JSR had a specific something that I can't define that JSRF lost, JSRF had much more speed. I NEED IT SEGA

soultron

Banned
Playing with max settings now @ 30 FPS. Restarting did the trick.

God, it's incredible. Hats off to Blit for a great port. I'm in heaven!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I got the general idea. I just can't get the gaps to work. :/ Wallriding won't let me wallride. Jumping the gaps won't let me hit them. I end up too short or not even making the rail. It's pretty annoying.

It literally is just momentum and getting the "trick" of each gap to work. For instance: From the Car/Truck rail to the rail that has the phone booth in between, you have to come fast ("boost" button at the beginning of the rail) and do a wall jump on the billboard.

Now, the trick to do the two cabs/billboard grind all the way to the previously mentioned rail, you gotta come fast from the catwalk, jump directly into the billboard, wall-ride it, jump off of it, land on the rail after the cabs. If you did it right, you'll land on this rail near the end of it - enough that you can connect, grind a second and jump off near the endge. Then you'll be fast enough to cover the distance to the other rail.

With those two key moments, you can loop the entire stage and, if you don't make a mistake and slow down, you can do endless tricks. I got the 100 tricks achievement like that.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
How about NiGHTS, will that likely be locked at 30fps, too?

Is it a game from Japan? </sarcasm>

Talking about Nights, I wonder if they'll port the Saturn version or the PS/2 version? Dreamcast games have been ported before. Actual Saturn games... That's harder.

If I remember correctly, it has both a New Style and an Old Style? Was that in the PS/2 Version?

Top Bottom