• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

Empty

i was expecting reviews like that, even as someone who considers it one of the very best 3d platformers. i'm surprised it's held in such reverence by the gaming press and once you strip out the artistic value of its style you're left with a game with design values clearly at odds with the sort of games that get good reviews these days.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well, at least he reviewed the game instead of going on a rant about sexism or whatever the hot button issue of the week is.

But seriously... a level took him seven attempts? That sounds less like bad game design and more like bad game playing. The game's controls take some getting used to, sure, but they're hardly as unworkable as he makes them sound.

Also, the Game Informer review says:

Even at the time, the game paled in comparison to the Tony Hawk series.

Tab closed.

C'mon, kids. Jet Set Radio doesn't play like a modern game, sure... but would you really want it to? (no.)

GeekyDad

ajHjB.gif

No offense to Mega Man, but nothing of Capcom should be allowed to partake in this joyous occasion. Those fuckers!

Danny Dudekisser

Oh wow. That quote shows such a blatant misunderstanding of this game it's embarrassing. Jet Set Radio was never meant to compete with Tony Hawk in any way, shape, or form.

But I think it's pretty clear that that's where reviews were going to go. The game doesn't play like XTREME SPORTZ games because... it's not one. It's not Mario. It's not Ratchet, nor Clank. It is its own thing, and that's what makes it special. Drawing parallels to other series is pointless.

TheOGB

Banned
While Sega clearly put some effort into this reissue, an HD coat of paint can’t correct the Jet Set Radio’s fundamental control flaws and repetitious design. I’m sure this sounds like heresy to Dreamcast faithful, but it’s the truth: This game wasn’t that good in the first place.
This might as well be Sega's tagline by this point :lol

Floex

The Verge

In 2000, Jet Set Radio was an aggressive, desperate shot from a Sega in decline to make something different, something that caught people's attention. Now, 12 years later, time has scrubbed away everything but the game they released, and the spit-shine hasn't been kind. In every way, Jet Set Radio HD is a prototype, full of ideas only half-realized and poorly put together, ideas which would be put to better use in the much-improved sequel Jet Set Radio Future (which featured comparatively huge city levels of greater complexity and infinitely more-responsive controls). Jet Set Radio HD is the best Sega has pulled off with regards to their Dreamcast re-releases, but the game can't live up to its own monumental reputation.

SCORE: 5 OUT OF 10

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/9/11/3313918/jet-set-radio-hd-review

I tried to replay the game on the Dreamcast and just got frustrated with Jet Set Radio. Still scratching my noodle over how I was able to beat it 12 years ago. Still love how the game looks and the soundtrack still holds up really well.

dock

Jet Set Radio certainly takes a little investing in to nail the controls, but once you start to enjoy the idea of flow, and get used to the level layouts, it's a delight through and through!

Any news on when this will show up in Europe? o_o Will it show up tonight?

I loved this on DC, but I played it at PAX and thought the HD version was a janky mess, hopefully it was a not-completely-optimized build. Oh hell, I know I am going to buy it anyway...

Are they playing this link a Tony Hawks game when its more a platformer? At the time it did have issues, those being the camera controls and the difficulty but this was never a game where you could do everything in your first go, some levels took multiple goes due to the time limit/health and it was all the better for it as you explored every area of each level.

JSRF is a different game entirely which was more about the experience and exploring a huge world.

Not surprised this would get hit hard, as some fundamental parts of the game (like controls and scope of design) are antiquated by modern standards, but damned if I didn't get a handle on the game and master it back in the day despite that, and damned if I'm not willing to do it now.
Nostalgia-laced rose-colored glasses GO!

brumx

It probably cause the game was made to work on the DC controller and I think it was stiff then so any odd movement or lag will mess you up here.

It was the PS3 version. The framerate was all over the place.

Hmm. It's worth noting that all the reviews so far have indicated they were given the 360 version for review purposes.

Between your comments, and the trophies being different for the PS3 version, I'm smelling a troubled PS3 port of this game.

This was one of my personal faves on DC, it along with MSR essentially led me to getting an Xbox when JSRF and PGR were announced for it. [Halo didn't hurt]

Hopefully, new players will enjoy it. Still, I might just dig up the DC and my 100% complete save to revisit it rather than redo it all.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Joystiq tells us what we need to know: the port is good and the enhancements are for the better.
What the...

Despite my renewed irritation with the enemies, and especially with the design of Grind Square, a level that, at moments, threatened to ruin the game for me in both 2000 and 2012, Jet Set Radio is still something that makes me happy to see, and to play.
I'm thinkin somebody sucks at the game~

I do remember having some trouble at first, but by that point in the game I was untouchable. That level was amazing, one of the greatest gaming memories I have. It was as such because it did seem like there were plenty of ways to screw up, but they gave you what you needed beforehand to not screw up. I guess he didn't retain embedded lessons very well.

Danny Dudekisser

Fuck those reviews, I don't need 'em, nobody needs them. I still own it on DC and know it's awesome.

It's just unfortunate in that it's gonna prevent some people from seeing the light and buying the game. But yeah, I suppose what's most important is simply that I know better.

Which I do.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow, I just read the other reviews and they really do suck at the game, especially the Verge reviewer. I guess it was bound to happen with Sega games, and it will probably happen with Nights as well. You always had to learn their games, and I guess some people just suck too much to do that.

Those reviews reek of misunderstanding. Tony Hawk games may be extreme sports, but they don't involve inline skates, and they sure aren't as obviously stylized and arcade-made as JSR. There are flaws in this game (mostly inconvenient camera control), but the core design is still amazing. Imagine what they'd think of Gunvalkyrie today.

Danny Dudekisser

Those reviews reek of misunderstanding. Tony Hawk games may be extreme sports, but they don't involve inline skates, and they sure aren't as obviously stylized and arcade-made as JSR. There are flaws in this game (mostly inconvenient camera control), but the core design is still amazing. Imagine what they'd think of Gunvalkyrie today.

Gunvalkyrie HD for the Wii U with the original lightgun+controller controls from the cancelled Dreamcast version mapped to the wiimote + nunchuk. Here's my money Sega

They would tear Gunvalkyrie the fuck apart today. Even in 2002, reviews were divisive... which is unfortunate, because the game was amazing. It was another title where you had to come to grips with the controls, but once it clicked... oh, man. The game controlled so, so well, and gave you an unprecedented amount of mobility.

That said, the lightgun + controller controls sounded absolutely retarded back when that was first planned out. Applying all that nonsense to a Wii-U version sounds like it might literally be the worst thing ever. Not just in games, but like... period.

If they rereleased Gunvalkyrie, they would either splice in dual analog controls that fuck the game up (since it was built around a lock-on system), and reviewers would complain anyway; or they would leave the controls as is and reviewers would complain. And then all the dudebro consumers would complain.

And that, friends, is why Dead Space 3 is what it is and why we get Lost Planet 3 in the US instead of Capcom's cel-shaded third-person shooter that could actually be good.

Borman

They would tear Gunvalkyrie the fuck apart today. Even in 2002, reviews were divisive... which is unfortunate, because the game was amazing. It was another title where you had to come to grips with the controls, but once it clicked... oh, man. The game controlled so, so well, and gave you an unprecedented amount of mobility.

That said, the lightgun + controller controls sounded absolutely retarded back when that was first planned out. Applying all that nonsense to a Wii-U version sounds like it might literally be the worst thing ever. Not just in games, but like... period.

If they rereleased Gunvalkyrie, they would either splice in dual analog controls that fuck the game up (since it was built around a lock-on system), and reviewers would complain anyway; or they would leave the controls as is and reviewers would complain. And then all the dudebro consumers would complain.

And that, friends, is why Dead Space 3 is what it is and why we get Lost Planet 3 in the US instead of Capcom's cel-shaded third-person shooter that could actually be good.

I still don't get Gunvalkyrie. I have a preview version (and retail version) of the Xbox build, and it just gives me a headache.

Danny Dudekisser

I was exaggerating a bit, but yeah, I'm just thinking back to the original Dreamcast control scheme plan... and seeing as how it's already tough enough to hold a DC controller in two hands, holding the left side of it with one hand and then using a lightgun seems... unwieldy. And how would you turn?

Ahhhh, I don't need to hurt my brain over this. The game came out a decade ago.

All the bad reviews I'm reading are reviews of the game from today's standards. I mean, that's entirely fair to do, but fans of the original have no reason to pay attention to them. It seems like it's a perfect port of the game, with only the higher resolution as a change.

Danny Dudekisser

The Dreamcast lightgun had a d-pad where the hammer would be. And extra buttons on the side.

I think I need to play Gunvalkyrie again to remind myself just had strange it controlled even on the Xbox. I think I still have my disk, I wonder if it works on the 360.

I did have a lightgun... though thinking back, I had the Mad Catz one, because Sega didn't release the official lightgun here, cuz it was the post-Columbine era... which became even stupider when Sega actually went as far as to take official light gun support out of the US version altogether, even if you had an import gun. But that's neither here nor there! The point is that the d-pad on the few options out there were not in any position to be used in game. I'm not sure how they would've managed it.

But this WAS Dreamcast era Sega. They could cook up just about any crazy idea they wanted to and make it work...

Ahhh, the good 'ol days.

Tain

It doesn't even make sense to review this as a completed game. Cite or rewrite your review of the Dreamcast original, then write a paragraph or two about the port quality.

Joystiq's comments on and wording around the frame rate leave me with no conclusions to draw. Dude says it's sometimes 60 FPS, but in a way that suggests the original was as well.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I knew this wouldn't review well.

The physics and controls were kinda shitty back in 2000, let alone 12 years later. I think a lot of people who haven't played the game will likely play the demo, get frustrated with the physics and/or controls and wonder what all the fuss was about.

UrbanRats

What the...

I'm thinkin somebody sucks at the game~

I do remember having some trouble at first, but by that point in the game I was untouchable. That level was amazing, one of the greatest gaming memories I have. It was as such because it did seem like there were plenty of ways to screw up, but they gave you what you needed beforehand to not screw up. I guess he didn't retain embedded lessons very well.

I hate that level too.. granted i was a kid when i first played it, and got frustrated easily, still i remember getting seriously mad there.

I'm really happy about the new camera controls, as that was easily the biggest flaw of the game, but i hope you can still play it the classic way, should you choose to, for authenticity's sake.

Did we know about this (from Joystiq article)?

Perhaps most surprising, Sega treated this budget-priced re-release like a deluxe anthology, bundling an original short documentary that includes interviews with director Masayoshi Kikuchi, art director Ryuta Ueda, composer Hideki Naganuma, and graffiti artist Eric Haze. Other unlockable bonus material includes music from Jet Set Radio Future, playable from within the bonus menu.

Yeah, it's definitely awesome. I can't wait to get off work, and stay up all night playing this like I did when I got it for Dreamcast.

Atenhaus

Currently downloading it from PSN (31% complete). My nostalgia glasses are primed and ready. I cannot wait to start playing it.

I hate that level too.. granted i was a kid when i first played it, and got frustrated easily, still i remember getting seriously mad there.

I'm really happy about the new camera controls, as that was easily the biggest flaw of the game, but i hope you can still play it the classic way, should you choose to, for authenticity's sake.

Just ignore the right stick camera controls and there you have it.

Top Bottom