• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I wonder how much of my ability to get past the quirks in the controls was due to a more old-school gaming mindset, and how much was because I used to do extreme inline back when it came out. Trying and failing isn't a bad thing, it just means you aren't good enough yet. You need to figure out the correct angle and speed and what motions to do. Whether that's with your whole body IRL or just with your thumbs in a game, the end result to committed learning is freedom and excitement grounded in understanding and skill. This is the rather existentialist attitude of the subculture the game is built around.

I think maybe some of these reviewers were just trying to rush through the game objectives to be able to say they played enough to review it. Thing is, checking off every mark on a list of objectives isn't what all games are about. In a lot of games those objectives are only there to guide you in skill acquisition in order to gain enough mastery to set your own goals and have fun reaching them. This is especially true in Japanese arcade games, which is what Sega's history is all about. I wonder if some of these guys are too young to remember the days when simply enjoying the experience was the focus of gameplay and foundation of replay value.

...damn, this is making me want to do a proper review that explains these philosophies and changes that have happened in the industry when it comes out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wonder how much of my ability to get past the quirks in the controls was due to a more old-school gaming mindset, and how much was because I used to do extreme inline back when it came out. Trying and failing isn't a bad thing, it just means you aren't good enough yet. You need to figure out the correct angle and speed and what motions to do. Whether that's with your whole body IRL or just with your thumbs in a game, the end result to committed learning is freedom and excitement grounded in understanding and skill.

I think maybe some of these reviewers were just trying to rush through the game objectives to be able to say they played enough to review it. Thing is, checking off every mark on a list of objectives isn't what all games are about. In a lot of games those objectives are only there to guide you in skill acquisition in order to gain enough mastery to set your own goals and have fun reaching them. This is especially true in Japanese arcade games, which is what Sega's history is all about. I wonder if some of these guys are too young to remember the days when simply enjoying the experience was the focus of gameplay and foundation of replay value.

...damn, this is making me want to do a proper review that explains these philosophies and changes that have happened in the industry when it comes out.

I was kind of getting that impression, as well. The modern gamer doesn't want to "learn" to play a game, especially in a genre where everything's been spoon-fed to you for years.

Excited but I have more than enough to play right now, will get vita version day 1 though. Then pick up PS3 version on sale since Sega is sale happy usually on PSN.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm glad that I have over a year of experience with PSN+ and can justify resubbing instead of calling myself an idiot for doing it so i can be permitted to buy a game.

Now can we have PSN+ feature of better download speeds?

Don't care about the reviews. They don't like it because it's "the same game". Downloading it now. (Can't play it till later, but whatever.)

Noks415

I've been stuck in the tutorial for about 30 min. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do a "wall grind". I'm going crazy.

Yuterald

I just impulse purchased the shit out of this game! I really don't need anymore games right now, but that cursed Dreamcast nostalgia is too strong. Fuck it, Jet Grind is too hot to ignore!

So anyone who can readily discern framerates (or at any rate can tell the difference between 60 and 30), how is it? Joystiq said it wasn't 60, but was "smoother" than the original's 30, which kind of confuses me. Is it 30, but without the slowdown Joystiq purports existed?

If it isn't 60, definitely waiting a week instead of pulling the trigger tonight.

Noks415

Come at the wall dialognally, then jump at it and turn the camera away. It's easier to do when you're chaining it with a grind.

How's the framerate for the PS3 version?

I still can't grasp it. I feel like an idiot, but the frame rate is pretty solid so far.

Vercimber

The framerate is NOT 60, but it IS smoother than the DC, thanks to the lack of stuttering. It's a smooth 30-40fps. I can't discern if it's smoother than 30fps, but it's decidedly not 60.

Dream17

Neo Member
i hope Sega will release a new Jet Set Radio in Open world because jet set radio is very good when you know the goal, but you can see the huge potential of the game in a open world

Tain

The framerate is NOT 60, but it IS smoother than the DC, thanks to the lack of stuttering. It's a smooth 30-40fps. I can't discern if it's smoother than 30fps, but it's decidedly not 60.

Lame. Makes me a little hesitant to day one on Steam, but I probably will anyway.

If only money was in my bank account right now. I would buy PS+ and Jet Set Radio so fast. Soon, soon.

Why is the install so slow?
The more stuff you have on your harddrive, the slower the installs. It's unfortunate that you can't defragment the PS3's harddrive to help alleviate the issue.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If only money was in my bank account right now. I would buy PS+ and Jet Set Radio so fast. Soon, soon.

The more stuff you have on your harddrive, the slower the installs. It's unfortunate that you can't defragment the PS3's harddrive to help alleviate the issue.

This is literally a brand new ps3.

Kyon

Banned
i hope Sega will release a new Jet Set Radio in Open world because jet set radio is very good when you know the goal, but you can see the huge potential of the game in a open world

That's. Basically what future is lol

Did they say anything about an HD version for that?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That sounds terrible. :-( Either lock it to 30 or go 60. In between that and you won't sync up with a 60 hz display and wind up with judder.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
That sounds terrible. :-( Either lock it to 30 or go 60. In between that and you won't sync up with a 60 hz display and wind up with judder.
Living up to your tag, I see.

If it's almost 60 on consoles you'll probably be able to do 120 on PC. Their other DC ports weren't hurting when it came to performance and they gave this one more attention. The only real worry was whether or not gameplay was tied to framerate, but it seems like it's not so we should be good to go on PC.

Vercimber

I think it could be locked at 30fps, to be honest, and that I'm comparing it to memories of the DC version, which had issues from time to time. I'm really bummed it's not 60fps, though. There's no reason it shouldn't have been. A game like this really justifies the smooth framerate. For what it's worth, the game is still as charming and fun as ever. But damn it, I will never take a journalist's word about framerate again and I will never understand how one cannot tell the difference between 30 and 60. The contrast is almost black/white.

have to agree with this. What the hell is that about, why on earth couldn't they hit 60 here? If not, at least lock it at a consistent rate... Damn. :( Still excited to get this though.

have to agree with this. What the hell is that about, why on earth couldn't they hit 60 here? If not, at least lock it at a consistent rate... Damn. :( Still excited to get this though.

I would never trust a single source about a framerate. I've been burned plenty of times by making that mistake.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, tried the PS3 version. It's 30 fps and it's stable.

So, at least it isn't some weird uneven framerate, but it's still disappointing they didn't go for 60. At least they ironed out the slowdown from the Dreamcast version as it seems to hold a consistent 30 at least.

The visuals DO look a lot nicer, though, with the higher resolution. The largest improvement actually stems from the fact that they are using proper AF (rare for a console game). The DC version had that ugly, aggressive bilinear filtering that was common on the platform. I always thought it really hurt the textures in JSR but no more!

Aside from the framerate I'm disappointed that the audio wasn't mixed better. It's the EXACT same audio from the Dreamcast version. Like most DC games it's slightly scratchy stereo with minimal separation. I typically use stereo for stereo sources but some games DO benefit from DPLII or other similar audio modes. Unfortunately, like most DC titles, enabling those modes simply directs all sound to the center channel. :\ Professor K yelling in stereo sounds bad to me and should be firing from the center while the music plays in stereo. I'm annoyed that they couldn't even properly mix the game in 5.1 (stereo music + surround SFX + center channel for voice at minimum).

The gameplay, however, is MUCH improved. Two things have really enhanced the experience: a right stick camera and disabling the auto-center on the L-trigger. Simply being able to freely look around while skating makes a HUGE difference in navigation while removing the constant re-centering while trying to spray kills the slightly glitchy, annoying camera traits in the original. It just feels so much more natural now. Furthermore, the PS3 analog stick decimates the Dreamcast stick and allows for much more precision while adjusting your character in mid-air. Graffiti motions are also much easier on the PS3 stick. This is the best reason to play it, honestly!

LaneDS

OK, tried the PS3 version. It's 30 fps.

So, at least it isn't some weird uneven framerate, but it's still disappointing they didn't go for 60. At least they ironed out the slowdown from the Dreamcast version as it seems to hold a consistent 30 at least.

The visuals DO look a lot nicer, though, with the higher resolution. The largest improvement actually stems from the fact that they are using proper AF (rare for a console game). The DC version had that ugly, aggressive bilinear filtering that was common on the platform. I always thought it really hurt the textures in JSR but no more!

Aside from the framerate I'm disappointed that the audio wasn't mixed better. It's the EXACT same audio from the Dreamcast version. Like most DC games it's slightly scratchy stereo with minimal separation. I typically use stereo for stereo sources but some games DO benefit from DPLII or other similar audio modes. Unfortunately, like most DC titles, enabling those modes simply directs all sound to the center channel. :\ Professor K yelling in stereo sounds bad to me and should be firing from the center while the music plays in stereo. I'm annoyed that they couldn't even properly mix the game in 5.1 (stereo music + surround SFX + center channel for voice at minimum).

Aw, boo on the sound. I expected the framerate to be inconsistent (but consistently better than it was), but hearing that the sound isn't so great is a let down.

...that said, I'm going to buy it and download it right this second anyway. Whomp.

Top Bottom