• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] Hotly anticipated 'Black Myth: Wukong' is delayed on Xbox for 'optimizations' — and now, Microsoft has responded

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I haven't looked at footage of this game for years. Is it still a souls like game? If so, keep optimising it till it's not... then release it on gamepass

I think some recent previews likened it to a boss rush game, like 80 something bosses in the game or something of the sort.

graywolf323

Sony has a history of money-hatting games but let's believe Microsoft is lying in instead.
I mean Microsoft also has a history of doing that so….

edit: anyway I don’t think they’re necessarily lying, I bet Jez asked for comment about the rumors about Sony making a deal and he of course is being slimy as hell

Last edited:

GHG

I actually listened the segment in the podcast, even posted about it. He only paraphrased the 3 words from Sarah, the rest is his own commentary and opinion.

I wouldn't trust this source, personally. Not that I knew who King David is in the first place before these tweets.

Even if you want to believe that tweet is true, if the publisher is holding the release date hostage over more money, after announcing a simultaneous release date beforehand, that's, to use a popular word these days .. slimy

Assuming it's true, I wouldn't call it "slimy"
It's smart considering the current situation regarding Xbox as a console platform. They want it to be worth their while.

A lot has changed since they first announced this game.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
And even if it was only 1.5%, that's 1.5% less people who would be able to purchase the game at launch. Again, you're in agreement then that those people do exist, you're just not one of them.
Those people can get a PC and/or a PS5. Or is there someone forbidding them?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Assuming it's true, I wouldn't call it "slimy"
It's smart considering the current situation regarding Xbox as a console platform. They want it to be worth their while.

A lot has changed since they first announced this game.

I agree with the bolded in a broader general sense, but they announced the release date for all platforms in December '23, at the TGA. It's not really that far behind us, just half a year. This game has been in development for a while based on how far back we've been seeing footage of it. I just don't think the developers wouldn't have known the Series S's limitations when they announced the release date.

It's either the worst case and some moneyhatting did take place, or as a few others have already theorized here, a small studio putting out their first big game so they don't have the resources to spread around and only want to focus on one console SKU at launch.

Last edited:

Reckheim

The devs just said the Xbox version needed optimization. They didn't reference Series S.

iZ8EMBF.png
yeh, its probably the series X that is the issue.

sendit

Sony has a history of money-hatting games but let's believe Microsoft is lying in instead.

200.gif

Microsoft bought Zenimax (Bethesda, ID Soft, etc..) and Activision/Blizzard.

It's well known with a multitude of data points that the Series S was a mistake:
  • Baldur's Gate 3 (Delay announced February 23, 2023)
    • Delayed due to Series S's hardware limitations impacting split-screen co-op performance.
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator (PC release August 18, 2020; Xbox release July 27, 2021)
    • Xbox version required extra time to optimize for the Series S's lower specs, delaying the release.
  • Halo Infinite (Initial delay announced August 11, 2020; Final release December 8, 2021)
    • Series S's performance constraints contributed to the overall delay to ensure compatibility.
  • Dying Light 2 Stay Human (Initial release planned for 2020; delayed to February 4, 2022)
    • Series S optimization challenges added complexity, leading to delays.
  • The Medium (Released January 28, 2021)
    • Series S's lower power required significant optimization, extending the development timeline.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (Initial release planned for April 16, 2020; delayed to December 10, 2020)
    • Series S's hardware constraints were a factor in the extensive optimization efforts, causing delays.

Negotiator101

Gold Member
Why can Microsoft never just give a straight answer.

Either there is an exclusivity deal in place, and they did just comment on it, or there isn't, and they are just trying to make Sony look like the bad guy.
Either you've chosen to ignore what Microsoft wrote or you're being purposely ignorant. They are legally not allowed to comment on any such deal, but given the wording of the press release it's heavily implied.

For instance if there were no such deal both Sony and the developer could come out and say so to contradict Microsoft. Instead their silence speaks volumes.

GHG

For instance if there were no such deal both Sony and the developer could come out and say so to contradict Microsoft. Instead their silence speaks volumes.

This article released at around 10pm on a Friday night in China. What are you expecting?

But on the bright side, at least you guys have something to do this weekend instead of playing shadow of the erdtree before they have a chance to respond.

GQnPCegbQAAKp3B

This is why Xbox has been failing for the past 23 years, bullshit articles like this.

Why can’t people be honest when it comes to Xbox? It’s obvious to everyone with a brain that the Series S is the issue here. If there was some kind of “hidden deal” there wouldn’t be any need for “optimizations” and Sony wouldn’t even allow the devs to mention an Xbox version. We’ve all seen how Sony deals work in the past and they are nothing like what’s going on with Black Myth Wukong.

What’s going on with Black Myth Wukong is the same issue that happened with BG3 and that’s the honest truth but rather than accept responsibility for their mistakes MS has to turn this thing into a swipe against Sony, and we have imbeciles like Jez Corden helping them do this.

This kind of bullshit fake journalism is how MS basically destroyed their entire console brand over the years and were shielded from criticism while doing so. MS can say whatever the hell they wanna say but everyone with a brain knows what’s really going on.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Given how Sony has paid exclusivities for years already, I'm inclined to believe MS on this. I mean, it's like 90% for MS and 10% for Sony regarding who would I believe in terms of third party exclusivity
Show me one example of Sony doing last minute exclusivity after the game has already been announced for other platforms and with a release date. This is just not how they do things.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Either you've chosen to ignore what Microsoft wrote or you're being purposely ignorant. They are legally not allowed to comment on any such deal, but given the wording of the press release it's heavily implied.

Huh? Why would Microsoft be legally prohibited from commenting on a deal they are not part of, and did not sign?

Sony and the dev are also under no obligation to make a comment about a deal they did not sign. You are delirious here.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Saw plenty of torches being carried in Sony's direction with the news of the Xbox delay. Didn't know the truth then either, but that didn't stop anything. Hell.....we had the big Xbox media darling Ryan McCaffrey leading the charge.

Xbox Too™ lol

Dude, what thread are you talking about? we're right here. The dev said one thing and MS said something else, that's it, but everyone here is either calling MS a liar, or blaming Series S when neither was mentioned. Stop normalizing behavior, I'm not rating one camp vs another :p

Last edited:
I feel like, at this point, even if Sony and the devs came out and specifically said they don't have a deal in place, folks simply wouldn't believe it, despite the fact that no one has seen the Xbox version of this game running.

There is also a world where the devs purposefully are holding back the Xbox release of the game as potential leverage in trying to secure a Game Pass deal out of MS. They wouldn't be the first game dev or publisher to do so. Getting a game pass deal is really the only way to make money on the platform - full game sales there just don't work out in your favor unless you're a really big game, and even that is no longer true for the most part.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The rumors are false. Its just optimization. They've already said its due to optimization.

Its like being in an interrogation room and Jez just keeps asking the same question over and over again because he doesn't like the answer.
And all of this could have been full stop with a simple "Those rumors are false" and not "no comment"

And I agree its because of the Series S, just saying this could have been handled better but we are talking about Xbox that can't help themselves

skit_data

Lol, the plot thickens. My guess is that;
Yes, the Series S is a pain in the ass.
No, there isn't any form of exclusivity deal.
Just a developer seeing the oppurtunity for some free PR.

Topher

Gold Member
Xbox Too™

Dude, what thread are you talking about? we're right here. The dev said one thing and MS said something else, that's it, but everyone here is either calling MS a liar, or blaming Series S when neither was mentioned. Stop normalizing behavior, I'm not rating one camp vs another :p

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Selective reading at its finest. I started this thread saying the same exact thing you did and I get push back on it for "misreading". But I don't see you accounting for MS defense in your summary or the folks saying this shows Sony paid for the timed exclusivity. You went straight to "everyone" carrying torches going after Microsoft. There is more to it than that.

Last edited:
And all of this could have been full stop with a simple "Those rumors are false" and not "no comment"

And I agree its because of the Series S, just saying this could have been handled better but we are talking about Xbox that can't help themselves
The moment you respond to one such story like this, the moment they feel entitled to that answer for all of these inquiries. It doesn't change the situation any to clarify it, and clearly Jez and MS are trying to establish some sort of narrative that deflects blame away from their awful bespoke console platform direction and instead put it square on Sony.

Sony barely announces games on their own comms channels - why should they respond to insecure MS fanboys? Its not even like this situation is at all unique. There are a number of games, increasingly so in the future, that either will be late or skip the Xbox platform entirely.

How about Jez establish some form evidence for this supposed exclusivity deal before he feels anyone should answer him on it. The devs already told him its optimization and hes still pushing it.

Last edited:

begotten

Here is the reality;

- Game Science is barely over 100 people making a AAA game in China.
- They announced physical publication issues may arise. Dude, the stock for both Premium Editions on Play-Asia had a quantity of fuck all and were for PC Only. Tells you where their head is at and their experience with this (particularly console).
- XSX is a piece of shit, and this causes Xbox to become low priority, and why MS is now working with Game Science.

The platform deal comment was just made to fuel their Astroturfing X Brigade.

Last edited:

Yeah I mean this isn't a developer with a ton of experience working on different consoles so they are doing the best they can.

Last edited:

Astray

Sony barely announces games on their own comms channels - why should they respond to insecure MS fanboys?
Why even talk when you've essentially secured a defacto exclusive again without doing anything? Denial would just hurt their position now imo.

What are they gonna say? "We did nothing and an Xbox version is on the way sometime somewhere"? That's just fucking with an advantage they got for free.

The Gamepass bartering thing you mentioned is interesting tho.

MS are going to look bad...ONCE AGAIN....if there is no deal.

They just keep doing this to themselves.....or should I say they are potentially doing this to themselves...AGAIN.

They already look bad. This just makes them look like petulant children wasting daddy's money.

The only reason they put that implication of an exclusivity deal out there is to rile up their remaining diehards to push the typical "anti-consumer", "exclusivity is bad for consumers!", "PS is monopolizing Asian games" talking points.

That's it. That's literally it.

From the article:

Not surprising at all to consider that their PR has been hounded by the question from multiple outlets since then and they have a boiler-plate response for it.

It's Jez Corden. Of course he would say he "heard" that. He probably also "hears" Ken Kutaragi laughing at him in his dreams every night.

Then he wakes up in a cold sweat to see Cloud peeping around the door corner before he closes it

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah I mean this isn't a developer with at on of experience working on different consoles so they are doing the best they can.
I really don't blame the devs in the least

I think MS was very intentional in their wording and let Jez turn team green on Playstation and the devs

The whole no comment on deals made by our partners with other platforms is BS and they knew exactly what they were doing

Top Bottom