• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jill Stein Launches Fundraising Effort To Ask For A Recount In 3 States

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incoming Trump tweet about Jill Stein being a "nasty woman" in 3...2...1...

I mean, I never thought I'd be thankful for Jill Stein. But here we are.

It still has another 1.5 million to go. Plus tomorrow is a holiday. So, who knows what happens.
yeah, but it's still kinda crazy to see how much it has gained already. Well... actually not all that crazy

I still think it won't happen and that if it does it won't change anything tho

edit: almost 940k now..

antonz

If there was any actual traction behind the claims you would have George Soros among others quickly putting the money out. The fact the Establishment on the Left are avoiding it says all that really needs to be said.

GusBus

If there was any actual traction behind the claims you would have George Soros among others quickly putting the money out. The fact the Establishment on the Left are avoiding it says all that really needs to be said.

As much as I'd love to be surprised, I think this is the salient point.
But who knows? This is the year we (ostensibly) elected a reality TV star. Anything is possible.

soco

Why do you need 2 million for this?

Since it's not within a certain margin, I suspect they have to pay some fee. I'm guessing most of it is for legal fees, though.

Here's the breakdown from this Boston Globe article:

He said that about $1.1 million would be needed for a recount in Wisconsin, where the deadline is Friday; another $500,000 would be needed for Pennsylvania, where the deadline is Monday; and $600,000 more would be needed by Wednesday for a recount in Michigan.

Recount rules vary by state, but, generally states only cover costs for automatic recounts, or ones triggered when election results are within a specified, close margin.

jelly

I don't believe that would be the reason, it makes US democracy look bad even if there is something to it, that can of worms will be buried.

I wish some billionaire would just pony up the 2.5 million. Can you imagine if Hillary really won those states?

Seriously.

There's also the chance that Hillary might announce that she's challenging the results herself since this fundraiser is being run independently from her. But who knows how unlikely that may be. I'm sure this election has drained her.

While there may be merit to this, I do think there's substantial publicity risk in having a big-name like Soros front the money. I mean, Republicans already link Soros to Jewish conspiracies to rig the election - if he or other billionaires contributed, it would only further that perception and cause a backlash among conservatives. The same would be true if Clinton herself decided to chip in.

Really, this is very precarious. The only way for the general public to see this as legitimate is for it to be completely funded by normal people.

Sydle

It will probably cross $1.1 million within the next hour if it keeps up at this rate, covering a recount in Wisconsin or the two other states.

Seriously.

There's also the chance that Hillary might announce that she's challenging the results herself since this fundraiser is being run independently from her. But who knows how unlikely that may be. I'm sure this election has drained her.

She looks like a different person in the latest photos. I feel for her.

RPGCrazied

Since it's not within a certain margin, I suspect they have to pay some fee. I'm guessing most of it is for legal fees, though.

Here's the breakdown from this Boston Globe article:

Well, in order for her to win and Trump not get 270 is for her to win all three states. I can kinda see MI, since thats been a blue state for decades? But just that alone won't be enough.

Alchemy

Even if theres a slim chance, its worth trying. I'd rather contribute to trying to stop Trump legally first before having to arm myself.

soco

Well, in order for her to win and Trump not get 270 is for her to win all three states. I can kinda see MI, since thats been a blue state for decades? But just that alone won't be enough.

long shot doesn't even begin to describe it, but it's going to be a fun ride if for no other reason than to watch the conservatives, who have repeatedly complained about "stolen" elections and "verifying votes" swap their rhetoric. It'll likely be more fun than any movie released in the next 6 weeks ;)

4:57 PST - 980k

Knoxcore

I don't believe that would be the reason, it makes US democracy look bad even if there is something to it, that can of worms will be buried.

The winner of the election lost the popular vote by 2 million votes and you're worried that US democracy may look bad?

Sydle

6 Electoral College voters already vowed to vote against Trump. Is it beyond the possibility that more follow suite if any significant evidence of tampering is found? Add on top of that the fact that Hillary won the popular vote by millions.

It would still go to the Republican-run House to make the decision and they won't vote in Clinton, but if enough Electoral College voters turned on this it could piss off Republicans and Trump, maybe to the point of significantly wanting to alter the Electoral College (burn it down!). There's even the possibility that Republicans wouldn't vote Trump in if he lost too many Electoral College votes and instead go with someone else they vote in like Pence, Romney, Kasich, etc.. This has been a crazy year and...lol...I'd love to see something like this as the cherry on top.

EDIT: Over 1 million already

soco

Why dont recounts happen by default anyway? How are they possibly seen as a bad thing?

They do, but only within a certain margin. Often, it's not close enough to be worth the cost of humans counting the votes for weeks, which could actually cost taxpayers millions of dollars.

5pm PST - just over 1 million.

Boem

It's incredibly unlikely, even with recounts, that Hillary is going to win. Still, this is incredibly important. If there is proof of tampering (even if it won't alter the end result), it needs to be known. At this point it's clear that the system is too fallible.

All that said, the idea that this would result in a Clinton win is nice (I would love for that to happen of course), but the chance of that happening is near 0%.

Sydle

It's incredibly unlikely, even with recounts, that Hillary is going to win. Still, this is incredibly important. If there is proof of tampering (even if it won't alter the end result), it needs to be known. At this point it's clear that the system is too fallible.

All that said, the idea that this would result in a Clinton win is nice (I would love for that to happen of course), but the chance of that happening is near 0%.

Clinton winning is the least likely outcome. More likely, if Trump lost a lot of Electoral College votes, is that the Republican-run House would vote someone else in instead of Trump. There are still a lot of Republicans who do not like him.

EDIT: Likely going to cross $1.1 million in less than 15 minutes.

I don't trust you people with chances ok

'member this
Cwysb2MUsAEZxTJ.jpg

not saying Hillary can turn it around just saying it needs to be done
not going to listen to chances after that shit

Neoweee

I don't trust you people with chances ok

'member this
Cwysb2MUsAEZxTJ.jpg

not saying Hillary can turn it around just saying it needs to be done
not going to listen to chances after that shit

What's wrong with that plot? As you get more information and things become more certain, the odds of something happening change. Like rolling a dice, any side is 1/6th, but once it lands, you know 100% what it is.

What's wrong with that plot? As you get more information and things become more certain, the odds of something happening change. Like rolling a dice, any side is 1/6th, but once it lands, you know 100% what it is.

nothing wrong with it, I'm saying forget chances let the recount happen

also

Here are the filing fees and deadlines for each state:

Wisconsin: $1.1 million by Nov 25 Almost there!
Pennsylvania: $.5 million by Nov 28
Michigan: $.6 million by Nov 30

soco

Jesus Christ. People have way too much hope.

Hope that this will be hilarious? absolutely! This will likely lead to enough hilarious comments and backlash that it'll provide more laughs than any movie over the holiday season. That's worth 10$, right?

Rapidly closing in on 1.1 million! This is getting funded in a matter of hours. I don't think I've ever seen something get funded so fast.

AniHawk

lots of relate topics trending on twitter now #Recount2016 #KeepTrumpUpAtNight

i'm for it as long as it keeps people paying attention and energized. plus if it comes in and there was nothing wrong (it's likely nothing was wrong), then at least it would put to rest bullshit conspiracies over the next few years and actual work can go towards building the democratic party as a 50-state party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom