• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jill Stein Launches Fundraising Effort To Ask For A Recount In 3 States

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a better use of your money than Jill "Look At Me!" Stein's hawking her wares for a recount that will go nowhere: donate to progressive Democratic Senators who live in swing states who are up for reelection in 2018 because EMILY's List is a nice reminder of the acronym Early Money Is Like Yeast:

Sherrod Brown (D-OH): https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/sbdefault?refcode=sherrodbrown.com

Tammy Baldwin (D-WI): https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/tbdefault?refcode=tammybaldwin.com

Debbie Stabenow (D-MI): https://stabenow.ngpvanhost.com/contribute

And Claire McCaskill (D-MO), who is more moderate than the others, yet fantastic in her own right: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/mccaskill-web?refcode=homepagebutton#_=_

Jill Stein sucks and this will not work.

FyreWulff

What a waste of money.

The election is over; it was decided. The electoral college exists for a reason; at times it has benefited both parties. California isn't leaving the union. Faithless electors would only further divide the country and go against the integrity of our system. For better or worse Trump is the 45th president.

Time to focus on what happens next not what has already happened.

Literally all 4 times the EC has decided the President has been for a Republican over a Democrat.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Here is a better use of your money than Jill "Look At Me!" Stein's hawking her wares for a recount that will go nowhere: donate to progressive Democratic Senators who live in swing states who are up for reelection in 2018 because EMILY's List is a nice reminder of the acronym Early Money Is Like Yeast:

Sherrod Brown (D-OH): https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/sbdefault?refcode=sherrodbrown.com

Tammy Baldwin (D-WI): https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/tbdefault?refcode=tammybaldwin.com

Debbie Stabenow (D-MI): https://stabenow.ngpvanhost.com/contribute

And Claire McCaskill (D-MO), who is more moderate than the others, yet fantastic in her own right: https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/mccaskill-web?refcode=homepagebutton#_=_

Jill Stein sucks and this will not work.

Because people can't do both, right?

Because people can't do both, right?

I mean, if you actually think that somewhere, somehow it is possible for a reocount to make up ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND VOTES over three states, sure. Go ahead. Waste your money instead of actually doing something proactive.

soco

Tired of fucking saying this but

MICHIGAN DOES NOT HAVE ANY ELECTRONIC VOTING MACHINES.

Stop lumping Michigan in there, that is not changing. Really it defeats his entire argument, Clinton needs all 3, but Michigan it isn't even possible for it to be hacked.

Not entirely true. If those results are counted with machines, results are transmitted online, or stored in a database somewhere, any point in that chain could have been hacked -- regardless of the existence of electronic voting machines. It would be very unlikely for none of that chain to be true today.

The chance of it happening is exceptionally tiny, but it *is* possible. They'd have to know all of the computer infrastructure along the way, etc.

What a waste of money.

The election is over; it was decided. The electoral college exists for a reason; at times it has benefited both parties. California isn't leaving the union. Faithless electors would only further divide the country and go against the integrity of our system. For better or worse Trump is the 45th president.

Time to focus on what happens next not what has already happened.

Um, Electors were designed with the intent of going against the tallied result if they felt it necessary, do you not know why the EC was established?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tired of fucking saying this but

MICHIGAN DOES NOT HAVE ANY ELECTRONIC VOTING MACHINES.

Stop lumping Michigan in there, that is not changing. Really it defeats his entire argument, Clinton needs all 3, but in Michigan it isn't even possible for it to be hacked.

I filled out a card, and put it through a machine to be read and counted.

Sydle

I terms of political shitshows it would be second only to the civil war and reconstruction. I mean, who could even begin to spearhead such an overhaul?

Trump. If there were enough faithless electors that bruise his ego he'll push for reform. He has gone on record several times saying he doesn't like the Electoral College, even after he acknowledged it's how he won.

If all it does is cause more infighting between Republicans arguing over the integrity of the system and over Trump then my $11 donation was money damn well spent.

I wish we were recounting every State, I'll settle for these 3, I like this idea.

I never really read this computer conspiracy thing, I saw a thread and brushed it off
I just don't understand why so many think a recount is such a bad idea, if it ends the endless conspiracy crap why not do make sure.

A recount has a better chance of results being nearly identical if nothing went wrong so why the fuss? This is why people don't vote. They keep listening to other people saying what they are feeling does not matter or what they believe is wrong or has no chance.

If you believe this is a waste of money or time don't support it, but why actively tell others that do spend money or energy they are foolish?

jimmypython

So it has already passed Wisconsin's 1.1 million line (Friday deadline) (1.3 million now). Does it mean recount for Wisconsin is a go?

So if there were problems with counting the votes we might as well just give up and never solve them or figure out if they exist?

There's just no conceivable way to find 60,000 votes for Hillary in PA. The results in PA especially match what you saw in IA/OH/MN when controlled for demographics and education.

CTLance

Gonna be blunt, I doubt this changes much. It may - may - have a knock-on effect if serious enough irregularities are found and all the planets align correctly. Chances are abysmally low, but hey, the alternative is four years under Trump, so I'm not surprised in the least to see people grasping at straws. Frankly, if this were open to non-US residents, I'd be tempted to throw in a fiver just as a sort of Hail Mary.

But even if the impossible happens... what kind of presidency would this become? Late to the goal, voted into office by a paper thin margin, already conceded Hilary would be terribly weak - particularly with Trump fans and a fuming GOP hot on her heels throughout her entire presidency. I'd be surprised if she even found the energy to accept such a "victory". That'd be four years of sheer and utter hell.

Oh well. At least it will be popcorn material, no matter the outcome.

Trump. If there were enough faithless electors that bruise his ego he'll push for reform. He has gone on record several times saying he doesn't like the Electoral College, even after he acknowledged it's how he won.

If all it does is cause more infighting between Republicans arguing over the integrity of the system and over Trump then my $11 donation was money damn well spent.

Trump can't change shit. Requires constitional amendment or 2/3rds of the states. Many of which are small and benefit from the EC.

This isn't happening.

Sydle

So it has already passed Wisconsin's 1.1 million line (Friday deadline) (1.3 million now). Does it mean recount for Wisconsin is a go?

A lawyer with Stein's campaign told the state she would be formally requesting a recount by Friday's deadline, said Michael Haas, administrator of the Wisconsin Elections Commission. The commission took the notification seriously enough to tell municipal clerks to estimate their costs.

EDIT: I'm not sure why she listed PA. I think the deadline for a recount came and went this past Sunday.

Money can't really be wasted, it ends up in someone's pocket and eventually spent.
Sounds like an argument for trickle down economics.

So if there were problems with counting the votes we might as well just give up and never solve them or figure out if they exist?
If there is something up then that is a different story but even if this gives Hillary another state (not likely-see 538 article) and they were both under 270 then it still goes to house to decide and they will choose Trump.

I don't want to see a world where minorities are treated poorly and where white supremacy is a mainstream idea. At this point Trump has been elected and we either deal with it and move on or we waste time playing Monday morning Quarterback.

Sydle

Trump can't change shit. Requires constitional amendment or 2/3rds of the states. Many of which are small and benefit from the EC.

This isn't happening.

He doesn't have to change anything. He just has to cause enough noise to make people doubt it, hate it, and watch it crumble.

Crayon

You don't want people to recount. Don't want people to donate. Dont want people to protest.

How about YOU take the L and get the fuck out the way.

Boem

There's just no conceivable way to find 60,000 votes for Hillary in PA. The results in PA especially match what you saw in IA/OH/MN when controlled for demographics and education.

But that's not the point. I agree, Clinton isn't going to win due to this recount. But there are credible reasons to assume that the results as we know them are not completely accurate. And you can't have that. Mistakes & problems (intentional and unintentional) need to be found so they can be corrected in the future. It's clear that lots of areas are dealing with voting systems that aren't up to the task, and vulnerable to tampering.

We need to know where those problems are, exactly what they are and how they can be prevented in coming elections. That's a very valid reason for doing this.

But yes, there's not going to be a Clinton in the White House. But saying you're against recounts (which, of course, should absolutely be mandatory, and it's absolutely baffling to me that it's not standard in a developed country) is weird to me. There's no downside at all to this.

soco

I don't want to see a world where minorities are treated poorly and where white supremacy is a mainstream idea. At this point Trump has been elected and we either deal with it and move on or we waste time playing Monday morning Quarterback.

FWIW, those two aren't mutually exclusive.

But that's not the point. I agree, Clinton isn't going to win due to this recount. But there are credible reasons to assume that the results as we know them are not completely accurate. And you can't have that. Mistakes & problems (intentional and unintentional) need to be found so they can be corrected in the future. It's clear that lots of areas are dealing with voting systems that aren't up to the task, and vulnerable to tampering.

We need to know where those problems are, exactly what they are and how they can be prevented in coming elections. That's a very valid reason for doing this.

But yes, there's not going to be a Clinton in the White House. But saying you're against recounts (which, of course, should absolutely be mandatory, and it's absolutely baffling to me that it's not standard in a developed country) is weird to me. There's no downside at all to this.

Yes, me saying that I'm against recounts would be weird to you because it's not something that I said.

Gonna be blunt, I doubt this changes much. It may - may - have a knock-on effect if serious enough irregularities are found and all the planets align correctly. Chances are abysmally low, but hey, the alternative is four years under Trump, so I'm not surprised in the least to see people grasping at straws. Frankly, if this were open to non-US residents, I'd be tempted to throw in a fiver just as a sort of Hail Mary.

But even if the impossible happens... what kind of presidency would this become? Late to the goal, voted into office by a paper thin margin, already conceded Hilary would be terribly weak - particularly with Trump fans and a fuming GOP hot on her heels throughout her entire presidency. I'd be surprised if she even found the energy to accept such a "victory". That'd be four years of sheer and utter hell.

Oh well. At least it will be popcorn material, no matter the outcome.

I said this was worth the popcorn pages ago, it really is a no fuss move

If by some bizarre outcome Hillary turns these 3 States we would be in a shit ton lot more trouble than a weak sauce late pick it would be insane no end drama even violent riots come on man it would be INSANE EPIC shit so of course I would not expect that outcome

The process here is a positive though even for the price of popcorn

let me put it this way, the $11 I donated feels like I did much more for the process than the vote I casted in Connecticut

robochimp

Sounds like an argument for trickle down economics.

If there is something up then that is a different story but even if this gives Hillary another state (not likely-see 538 article) and they were both under 270 then it still goes to house to decide and they will choose Trump.

Its how the economy works. Trickle down is a very misguided theory on the governments role in how you keep the money cycling through the economy.

Boem

Who is wasting time? Whose time? Yours? Obama's? Trumps? What is being put off by doing these recounts? Nobody is going to have to drop anything to pay the necessary people to carry out these recounts. This is such a weird complaint to me.

If you consider it a waste of your own time, it's easy enough to avoid news articles about it until something definite turns up.

Yes, me saying that I'm against recounts would be weird to you because it's not something that I said.

Sorry about that. Mixed you up with another poster. Completely my bad, apologies.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I didn't say MI just because 10,000 is fairly close and there was a huge undervote and conceivably, something could have been miscounted with that small of a margin.

10k is a small margin when you're talking about the difference that altered campaign tactics could swing, but it is an absolutely massive gulf when you're talking about the counting error that could be exposed by a recount.

jfkgoblue

I didn't say MI just because 10,000 is fairly close and there was a huge undervote and conceivably, something could have been miscounted with that small of a margin.
10,000 is only small in relation to how many voted, 10,000 is a huge fucking number to overcome realistically and is impossible really to make up in a recount.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
This is gonna hit 2.5m before tomorrow's end.

Great move publicity wise on Jill's part.

10,000 is only small in relation to how many voted, 10,000 is a huge fucking number to overcome realistically and is impossible really to make up in a recount.

10k is a small margin when you're talking about the difference that altered campaign tactics could swing, but it is an absolutely massive gulf when you're talking about the counting error that could be exposed by a recount.

No, I know, that's why I said "conceivably". It's not happening.

Say it did happen and all three states flipped (lol), could trump demand a recount? If it flipped back to trump, could it just go on and on or would the EC just vote anyway?

Is this the secret to a 12 year Obama administration?

This is gonna hit 2.5m before tomorrow's end.

Great move publicity wise on Jill's part.

it is slowing down a bit, everyone will be traveling tomorrow or busy I wonder if over the weekend they can reach the rest

they only needed 1.1m for WI the other two states have a few more days buffer

KingBroly

Banned
Say it did happen and all three states flipped (lol), could trump demand a recount? If it flipped back to trump, could it just go on and on or would the EC just vote anyway?

Is this the secret to a 12 year Obama administration?
House would put Trump in like it or not.

I think in PA stein would have to prove her vote was harmed which is fruitless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom