• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Staten was fired from 343i did not leave on is own…

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Iv just given up at this point, if you want Halo to change stop playing infinite. If you want shitty medicore games keep playing it, it's that simple.

You can try to justify that if you like, but if you keep playing you are literally justifying all these things Microsoft has done.

Last edited:
I hope it’s because he came with cock in hand and told everyone in that office that they are bunch of shitbags ate the the fuck up like a soup sandwich.

BlackTron

Iv just given up at this point, if you want Halo to change stop playing infinite. If you want shitty medicore games keep playing it, it's that simple.

You can try to justify that if you like, but if you keep playing you are literally justifying all these things Microsoft has done.

I mean I play it, but never spent a cent on it. And this isn't something where they make money just because you showed up, there are no ads in the game. I'd hang my head in shame if I ever purchased a skin or something though lol

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean I play it, but never spent a cent on it. And this isn't something where they make money just because you showed up, there are no ads in the game. I'd hang my head in shame if I ever purchased a skin or something though lol

The problem is your creating fodder for the people who do pay. Yes your less or an issue, but your still helping create an environment that allows the people who do spend to play the game if that makes sense.

I think to a certain point it's fine, as players can leverage the threat of leaving. However it feels like Microsoft just don't work with the playerbase in good faith anymore. So the only option left is for people to start walking.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
40 seconds into the video: "He was moved back into his old job at Microsoft publishing and quit to work somewhere else."

Video title: "He was fired!"

completely retarded
No where did it say he was fired from Microsoft

Who are we blaming foremost for the failings of 343i?

Bonnie Ross, Kiki Wolfkill, Joe Staten, Matt Booty, Phil Spencer? Or do we fault Nadella and call it a day?

intbal

Bonnie Ross, Kiki Wolfkill, Joe Staten, Matt Booty, Phil Spencer? Or do we fault Nadella and call it a day?
Ross is the one who made hiring based on diversity rather than merit a priority.
Nadella is the one doesn't give two shits about games and wants the world to worship him as the AI Messiah.
Wolfkill oversaw the disaster of live action Halo.
NeoGaf thinks Spencer is the devil incarnate.
Booty is a goober who frequently spouts off without a sufficient filter.

Pick your poison.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Mommy Ross was in charge of the studio from day one (or close to it) and was in charge as Halo devolved from one of the biggest franchises in anything with 10/10 games, to B-tier at best, that can't communite with its fans or release a game on time that makes fans happy, or keep lore consistent, or maintain a live service game, or make a battle pass that people want to play.

I don't know why he was fired but I assume he was getting paid a TON of money because he basically was brought in to triage Shitfinite and get it out the door when the company was desperate, and maybe they just didn't want to keep paying that because, again, Halo is a B-tier franchise now.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Apparently Joe wanted to toss out the direction 343i had been going with (which would have been the right call) and that ticked off a bunch of staff at 343i.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
If they bring you in the make change and save a game, you have to be empowered to do that. He might have been the wrong person for it. Might have clashed with leadership. Whatever happened it didn't work for anyone.

sodstall

Tbf joe was too late for the party, whatever changes he did to infinte didnt really fix shit
Yeah he really got "kojima-fied" by 343 at the end there, trying to emphasize his presence a little too much. I dont see the IGN unfiltered interview brought up enough but his story about being called in after that first gameplay reveal really sunk my gut at the time.

It’s crazy that 343i survived their little purge. Burn it down and let id make a halo game in 10 years.
Their actual output hasn't been bad, it's the studio leadership and mismanagement ever since Halo 5 that has led to where they are now. Halo 4 was well-received and critically praised, and sold very well. Had a lot of old Retro Studios Metroid Prime trilogy alum on it. And then they spent too much time on and prolonged how long it took to get MCC to where it needed to be, which I think adversely impacted new Halo output since 4 (Again, mismanagement).

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Well, is it really that important? What has he been doing the last years? I'll say whether he's in or out. The story can't get much worse.

He was one of the people that wanted to make story/single player campaign DLC ? When that was declined his future was in doubt already so him being "fired" was a logical choice from a certain point of view.
Not a Halo player, but I read a few stories in the Halo universe and he helped create a great Sci fi IP, and should be praised for it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Their actual output hasn't been bad, it's the studio leadership and mismanagement ever since Halo 5 that has led to where they are now. Halo 4 was well-received and critically praised, and sold very well. Had a lot of old Retro Studios Metroid Prime trilogy alum on it. And then they spent too much time on and prolonged how long it took to get MCC to where it needed to be, which I think adversely impacted new Halo output since 4 (Again, mismanagement).
Their output has been bad, especially by the standards of this series.

Halo 4 - singleplayer was fine, not great, but multiplayer was really unpopular and bombed
MCC - complete disaster, took like four years to fix
Halo 5 - total disaster, everyone hated it in singleplayer, in multiplayer it was fine, but didnt' go anywhere and was quickly forgotten
Infinite - what else is there to say about Infinite. Singleplayer was a cobbled together mess, multiplayer played ok but as a service was a complete mess for over a year by which point everyone moved on. This was for a game that they got a blank check to make, tons of time, made a new engine, was designed to launch with new hardware, etc.

They've also shown no ability to continue with the story of the franchise, the TV show was a disaster, and bottom line, Halo is basically irrelevant. While obviously leadership deserves a lot of blame for this (can't tell you how many times I read from Ross that 343 learned from this and that, only to make the same mistake again), a failure of this magnitude falls on everyone.

Last edited:
Smashing Pumpkins started releasing crap when they started releasing music.
It's more like RHCP.
Off-topic here, but I imagine it's hard to write about the same stuff that was relevent to you in your teens & 20s when you're living the high life with a 100' heated pool at your mansion in Malibu with a chef that cooks for you, with $15 million just sitting in your checking account.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It does? Is that like a personal opinion or is it like something that's documented somewhere, based on behavioral and cognitive research
Think about the creative fields and notice when a person's seminal work gets released. It's late 20s, early 30s. Not many artists peak at age 52. Joe Staten should be harvested for organs. He's done what he can do.

Think about the creative fields and notice when a person's seminal work gets released. It's late 20s, early 30s. Not many artists peak at age 52. Joe Staten should be harvested for organs. He's done what he can do.
I feel like that's more a product of not needing to try as hard because you've already achieved success. Not necessarily due to just age itself.

Last edited:

phant0m

MCC - complete disaster, took like four years to fix

MCC took basically all of last gen to fix and tbh it still isn’t, at this point they gave up and it is what it is.

Halo 2 online co-op has AWFUL stuttering and frame drops even on XSX.

You still can’t play Halo Reach co-op (and I think ODST) on PC with someone playing on console.

hyperbertha

Grr martin and Craig Mullins would disagree. Many mangakas would disagree. You really are just all about clickbait aren't you?

Top Bottom