• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's ASB |OT| You Importin'? Depending On Your answer, I May Have To Kick Your Ass!

Shouta

I thought the only DLC was the characters.

There's that. They're complaining about the Campaign mode being setup like a Social Game style too. Then there's the shitty story mode.

Also the game balance being wonk was another complaint.

Jenga

Banned
There's that. They're complaining about the Campaign mode being setup like a Social Game style too. Then there's the shitty story mode.

Actual game balance complaints or "zomg so many infinites broken game"

A few Amazon reviews mean nothing. Look at popular titles released over here, like Mass Effect 3. Millions of copies sold and high review scores, and yet almost all 1-star reviews.

True, but that was the second sequel, not the first outing, and Japanese devs tend to be more risk-conservative. Personally, I definitely want a sequel where this game's issues are addressed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
According to Kotaku, there's more DLC than just the characters mentioned in the manual.

A photo of the game's instruction manual has appeared online, showing a list of non-character DLC items for use in the campaign mode with varying in-game effects.

Here are some of the DLC listed:

Sugar Mountain Spring: Make the encounter rate of any specific boss 100%

The Luck of One in 5 Billion: Lowers a boss' health (Large effect)

Safety Lock of Heaven's Door: Disable opponent's Heart Heat gauge

Highway Star's Nutrition Absorption: Increase your attack and defense and decrease opponent's attack and defense

Goddamn, this is turning out to be Namco-bandai's SFxT from reading the Amazon reviews, basically lol. Everything surrounding it is a clusterfuck of moneygrabbing.

Goddammit, i really wanted this game to be good...fuck

Meh, cosmetic DLC. Not a big deal.

I can understand why people are upset but I still think this game will be a blast to just play though.

Jenga

Banned
Meh, cosmetic DLC. Not a big deal.

I can understand why people are upset but I still think this game will be a blast to just play though.

It's campaign DLC. You get the costumes and other shit by playing through campaign. So technically, they're not really selling any of the cosmetic shit to you, only letting you short cut your way to it.

Peff

True, but that was the second sequel, not the first outing, and Japanese devs tend to be more risk-conservative. Personally, I definitely want a sequel where this game's issues are addressed.

Bad Amazon reviews happen for pretty much every other major release in Japan and they don't really affect sales much. That said, sequels of these games (One Piece/Hokuto no Ken musou, Tales of Xillia, FFXIII...) usually sell much less than the first game, so that's what they should be concerned about.

It's campaign DLC. You get the costumes and other shit by playing through campaign. So technically, they're not really selling any of the cosmetic shit to you, only letting you short cut your way to it.

Oh? So you will get them if you play campaign mode but this just allows you to "unlock" them earlier?

And unlocking chars is through story mode, correct?

Shouta

Yeah, it's more than just DLC characters. Folks are blasting the single-player content for this badly. There's like a Stamina system for campaign and junk or so?

I wonder why they're taking such a DLC approach this time for Jojo compared to their past games.

Because fans will pay for it. I don't mean that in a cynical way either. If Lisa Lisa or Old Joseph get released, I'll buy them instantly. Same if it get's localized.

Jenga

Banned
So, if I understand, the current DLC besides the characters is pretty much the same thing as all those f2p social/facebook games?

Yes, which is essentially "buy this to grind through campaign faster".

If you actually care just for the game as-is, you'll just be buying the character DLC.

The fighting itself is still fun, but yeah, it might be good to wait for more impression if you're not a huge fan of the IP

Believe me, i am, but i don´t like to be reminded every 5 seconds that i could pay to unlock shit in my games, extreme monetization in full retail titles sucks big time.

Oh well, i guess i´ll wait.

Erigu

The whole page is funny because it turns out the "casual" jojo gamer got a somewhat serious fighter.
Wut. Not quite the impression I'm getting, far from it.

"Oh, man, you can't play campaign mode anymore! You're out of tokens for the next three hours! Tired of waiting? Buy some tokens from us!"
I'd call that annoying DLC bullshit. It's like free-to-play, except, well, you bought the damn game.

For me, single player stuff in a fighter does nothing. I'm hoping that this game is fun to play with friends and other people online. Unlocking chars is a pain, but it is what it is.

"Oh, man, you can't play campaign mode anymore! You're out of tokens for the next three hours! Tired of waiting? Buy some tokens from us!"
I'd call that annoying DLC bullshit. It's like free-to-play, except, well, you bought the damn game.

Wait what? It is like this?

Bad Amazon reviews happen for pretty much every other major release in Japan and they don't really affect sales much. That said, sequels of these games (One Piece/Hokuto no Ken musou, Tales of Xillia, FFXIII...) usually sell much less than the first game, so that's what they should be concerned about.

Yeah, that's why I'm hoping they take care of these problems and can show off progress in a sequel. I think CC2 has the potential to come up as a developer, and Jojo deserves love.

So, if I understand, the current DLC besides the characters is pretty much the same thing as all those f2p social/facebook games?

Anyways, horse combos

Valkyrie living up to the name lol

Tizoc

Well i'm only gonna order digital stuff only, and the price for 3000 Yen sounds good (they don't have 1000 Yen tho =p) I'm sure I can find some stuff I'd like that're worth the remaining 2000 somehow~

Shito

Infinites aside, has there been any variety in combos yet besides jump in->chain->special->cancel->repeat?
Only played for a few hours, but from what I've seen, yeah, it does seem quite shallow and repetitive. Raw supers or throws do shit damage, and LMH xx special xx super does "meh" damage. It seems we're indeed supposed to go for chain xx special xx putstun cancel xx rinse and repeat.
I'm sure there will be some nasty setups discovered soon, but the core mechanics of the game is... well, quite bland and not very fun for the moment.

Only played for a few hours, but from what I've seen, yeah, it does seem quite shallow and repetitive. Raw supers or throws do shit damage, and LMH xx special xx super does "meh" damage. It seems we're indeed supposed to go for chain xx special xx putstun cancel xx rinse and repeat.
I'm sure there will be some nasty setups discovered soon, but the core mechanics of the game is... well, quite bland and not very fun for the moment.

I have no idea how "complex" this game will get. Was it ever marketed as a serious fighter?

That being said, I'm sure people will find some crazy broken shit in a week or so.

Well, it's not like I really expected otherwise but I'd hope there'd be some fun to it at least.

I have no idea how "complex" this game will get. Was it ever marketed as a serious fighter?

It's always been marketed as a "Jojo game" so not really. The problem is that fanservice aside, the game's content seems to be bad, which leaves the actual gameplay as the main thing the game could have going for it.

Rhapsody

Banned
Nope, but we're hoping for at least some depth challenge, just enough to not bore you, especially in SP modes.

Makes me wish Capcom will still do random licensed fighters again. Sure they were usually unbalanced, but they were lots of fun.
They usually did a good job with fan service too.

Makes me wish Capcom will still do random licensed fighters again. Sure they were usually unbalanced, but they were lots of fun.

A return to glory for Capcom with Jojo would be nice, but they seem to be satisfied with the path they're walking...unfortunately

Nope, but we're hoping for at least some depth challenge, just enough to not bore you, especially in SP modes.

Well, it's not like I really expected otherwise but I'd hope there'd be some fun to it at least.

It's always been marketed as a "Jojo game" so not really. The problem is that fanservice aside, the game's content seems to be bad, which leaves the actual gameplay as the main thing the game could have going for it.

Speaking purely as a fighter, I'm sure there is a ton to discover. These types of games always have something crazy about them.

I'm curious as to how you guys felt about the HnK fighter, if you ever had a chance to play it that is.

Jenga

Banned
The real issue is that they marketed for the casual Jojo gamer, and didn't leave a robust enough story mode to actually please them. Instead we get a fighting game that doesn't please casual players, and is panned by FGC gamers because they're picky as shit anyway.

In a few weeks we'll see a genuine competitive game emerge, or we'll see a game that doesn't please either crowd and will either be dropped or be patched as much as MK.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Play-asia needs to get people their copies

look at what not playing the game is doing to this thread

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

It's not a combo game.

People aren't even using all the mechanics yet. I haven't even seen any combos using stand rush yet. or even non stand users

I think the mechanics in the game lend themselves more to interesting setups and neutral game play than combos anyways.

Basically this is day 1 don't be making calls like this yet.

It's not a combo game.

People aren't even using all the mechanics yet. I haven't even seen any combos using stand rush yet. or even non stand users

I think the mechanics in the game lend themselves more to interesting setups and neutral game play than combos anyways.

I agree. All we've really seen so far is a few elementary training mode combo vids and AI derpfests. Once people start getting comfortable with the systems and experimenting, we'll start to see it open up.

Shito

It's not a combo game.
Oh it is.
Not "Marvel combos", but the game needs combo for you to do damage.
There will be setups and footsies, but they will lead to chain-super-cancel-repeat combos because this is how you get damage going on.

Notice that I've said "for the moment" in my post.
I will give the game a fair chance, but *for the moment* I'm not having a lot of fun with it.

Speaking purely as a fighter, I'm sure there is a ton to discover. These types of games always have something crazy about them.

I'm curious as to how you guys felt about the HnK fighter, if you ever had a chance to play it that is.

Oh I'm not giving up on the game, it's barely day 1 after all. Still, my expectations are low just in case.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Oh it is.
Not "Marvel combos", but the game needs combo for you to do damage.
There will be setups and footsies, but they will lead to chain-super-cancel-repeat combos because this is how you get damage going on.

So why are people getting so bummed out watching videos of combos starting off of a jump in with 3 bars?

and I disagree because puttsun isn't the only use of meter in the game. There's EX Ripple moves, Stand Rush, Pillar man modes etc.

So I think it's weird to make the call that hoarding all your meter for puttsun chain loops is the best option when no one has even really explored the other meter options in the game yet.

It's conjecture based off people messing around with impractical shit and posting it on youtube.

Top Bottom