• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's ASB |OT| You Importin'? Depending On Your answer, I May Have To Kick Your Ass!

Let me see if I understand everybody correctly so far.

A game fully built on fanservice that happens to exist in the shell of a fighting game.

Understanding the source material, you expected a balanced fighting game.

You don't get said balanced fighting game from the fanservice fighting and want some balance.

I guess so.

Jenga

Banned

A game fully built on fanservice that happens to exist in the shell of a fighting game.

You don't get said balanced fighting game from the fanservice fighting and want some balance.

I guess so.
It's a real fighting game. Not a shell of a fighting game. I don't know what exactly I can do to convince people who somehow think this is just 34 characters easy beating each other off.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Apparently my copy already shipped from Tokyo, I'm crossing my fingers that it reaches my UK Aramex account and then it'd be sent to mi country by the end of the week XO

Yeah my copy is currently in California, here's hoping I get mine by tomorrow.

Cbajd5

I got my copy today and played through Parts 1~4 of the Story Mode so far, and I'm having fun with it.

I still suck at fighting games though...

I guess so.

nah

It's a real fighting game. Not a shell of a fighting game. I don't know what exactly I can do to convince people who somehow think this is just 34 characters easy beating each other off.

Somebody misread. Shell in this case is defined as what type of game this is. Not that it isn't any less of one that any other one.

You also need not convince me of anything. You're speaking to someone who dichotomizes the Kamen Rider fighting games at a high technical level every year. So you're speaking to someone who understands exactly how you feel.

The point I'm making is simple. Very rarely does fan service & balance work together in a fighter. This game is a perfect example of that. I'm just personally sick of hearing that the game didn't deliver on something it never was going to given the confines. It did however over-deliver wonderful fan service and is looking to continue doing such but in trade of that it had to lose some competitive balance to be that. And this is CC2 we're talking about here so with a core in place the sequels will come and so will the balance that people are screaming for.

In short, everybody should just enjoy the game for what is and not for something it may not become.

And also don't be concerned with convincing anyone else either. You're wasting energy doing that when you should be enjoying the game for what it is and focusing on that instead. They'll either come around or they won't.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I guess so.

Who said anything about balance?

I just wish I could pressure on block without being punished. I mean what's the point of stylish move and the guard gauge if they can just hit you after blocking if you don't spend meter?

Jenga

Banned
Who said anything about balance?

I just wish I could pressure on block without being punished. I mean what's the point of stylish move and the guard gauge if they can just hit you after blocking if you don't spend meter?

wait what

what exactly is your complaint here

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So it seems the game being sold here are R3 versions. How would one search for Jojo in HK shop, via katakana or by English?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
wait what

what exactly is your complaint here

We were talking about how there's too much recovery time in the game. Most normals are negative on block (meaning punishable by the enemy) and most of the standing infinites are a result of fast moves putting the opponent in hitstun for too long.

I mean I haven't played alot so I don't know everything about the game's flow atm, so it's not so much a complaint.(at least initially it wasn't supposed to be) I was just echoing Shouta's thoughts on the hitstun.

I was just assuming RexxxSoprano's post was in response to that discussion, and was trying to clarify that we weren't talking about game balance at all.

This has nothing to do with balance per say so much as it just seems to be a result of CC2's inexperience with handling frame data in a game like this

Chairhome

So it seems the game being sold here are R3 versions. How would one search for Jojo in HK shop, via katakana or by English?
I saw the icon on the "what's hot" section, and the text was in English. So if you don't find it there, you can probably search in English.

This game is so much fun.

Rhapsody

Banned
I just think that the amount of options characters have feels limited. It's hard to explain with the way things are, it isn't open as I'd like it to be. It's still fun to enjoy with friends, but the gameplay itself didn't have enough to get me hooked for long periods of time. Obviously the game is made for the fans with the attention to detail and everything, but it feels like it's lacking something.

It's definitely fun to play in short bursts with Jojo fans though, that's for sure.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I saw the icon on the "what's hot" section, and the text was in English. So if you don't find it there, you can probably search in English.

This game is so much fun.
Ah that's good to hear.

HK PSN cards uses denomination similar to US right? What are the prices for the characters?

Reknoc

I guess so.

Understanding the source material means I wouldn't expect that at all.

Astarte

AFTER A YEAR OF WAITING I CAN NOW SAFELY SAY

This is a pretty fun game. It's not something that matched my hype, but it's neat. It's just a neat and pretty fun game.
It wasn't worth rushing my shipping or anything, but hey at least I got to experience the game.

Silky

Banned
Is there a chance this might release in the west?

acdco.gif

Wow, this game is getting terrible user reviews on Amazon.jp. 904 reviews with an average of 2 stars. The biggest complaints seems to be a lot of content being locked behind DLC paywalls and the stamina system (3 hours to recharge or pay money to recharge immediately.)

I haven't read much of this thread and I know Amazon user reviews don't really mean much, but it seems like a lot of Japanese gamers aren't happy with the way this game turned out. And the price on Amazon has dropped from 7,980 yen to 4,400. To those who own this game, what do you think of this?

And surprisingly, the most helpful favorable review is this, which is obviously a joke:

今日、兄がこのゲームを購入したのを目撃しました。またスカイリムの時のように、3週間くらい部屋にこもって隠密スキルを磨くのかと思ってたら、一時間くらいで部屋から出てきました。
そしてソフトを持って近所のゲームショップに行く姿を見ました。
こんなに早く兄の姿を見れたので嬉しくて、★5にしました。

Translation:
I saw my brother purchase this game today. I thought it would be like when he spent 3 weeks holed up in his room playing Skyrim and improving his Sneak skill, but my brother came out of his room after one hour.

Then I saw someone walk into the neighborhood game shop carrying a game (presumably to sell it). I was so happy to see my brother so early (as opposed to after 3 weeks with Skyrim), I gave this game 5 stars.

Edit: read through the last couple pages, noted the complaints some posters had are very similar to the Amazon.jp reviews.

Jenga

Banned
Araki's comments-
I don't play fighting games myself, so I can't comment on that aspect, but I think it's amazing how perfectly they were able to recreate everything. It's beautiful. Whenever people try and adapt Jojo they always want to use a bunch of different colors. But this game actually suppresses the colors and makes them refined/quiet. I think this is good, because it will keep players' eyes from getting tired. I think the more colors on the screen increases the exhaustion in one's eyes. I also think the cutting-edge CG technology they used did a great job of capturing the atmosphere.

The characters have been recreated so well, they may look cooler than they are in the manga. (LOL) There's a psychological level to the battles here. I like how they've made it something more than just a fighting game.

The town of Morio-cho appears in Parts 4 and 8, but they're in parallel worlds, so they aren't linked in time or space. The two Josukes would never meet each other normally. With this game, though, it becomes possible. At first I was bit taken aback. But then the bizarre nature to it all really got me interested. It's very entertaining. I would never allow something like this in the manga, but since this is a game, it's cool. Same thing with Jotaro fighting Dio Brando. The way the characters look is so different over the parts, though, that normally if you lined them all up they'd look very out of place with each other. But this game fixes all that, and I think that's one of its strengths.

Personally, I play a lot of horror action/adventure games. I like exploring a lot, not just fighting. I like puzzle games too. And I like sports and racing games too, as you might have figured from my inclusions of F-MEGA and Oh! That's a Baseball! in part 3. Lately games have been getting really "real." I still like cheap-looking games like F-MEGA.

Lately, though, I haven't really played any fighting games or shooting games. When I get excited during battles, my adrenalin pumps up. I want games to heal me. That's why I play horror games. Horror heals me. (LOL) Even in this game, the punch animations are just too fast for me. I'd rather watch them in slow motion.

araki is so lovable

To those who own this game, what do you think of this?

bullocks is what I think

notice how it's only after brawl in total first week fighting game sales

the casual jojo fan wanted something else

Chairhome

Wow, this game is getting terrible user reviews on Amazon.jp. 904 reviews with an average of 2 stars.

I haven't read much of this thread and I know Amazon user reviews don't really mean much, but it seems like a lot of Japanese gamers aren't happy with the way this game turned out. And the price on Amazon has dropped from 7,980 yen to 4,400. To those who own this game, what do you think of this?

Man, that would have made it a bit cheaper for me to import. I bought it digitally. Oh well. I've only played the game for a few hours, but I like it so far, despite the language barrier. I'd probably be enjoying the campaign more if I understood it, but the fighting is decent enough for me to play for a while. Hope I can start playing some vs with some friends.

Tizoc

Wow, this game is getting terrible user reviews on Amazon.jp. 904 reviews with an average of 2 stars.

And surprisingly, the most helpful favorable review is this, which is obviously a joke:

Translation:

Campaign mode has a timer right? Doesn't the timer reset for you to play Campaign mode again after some time?

Campaign mode has a timer right? Doesn't the timer reset for you to play Campaign mode again after some time?

Well, a few pages back, this was posted:

20 minutes of playtime, 3 hour wait. You can play without stamina, you won't unlock anything. You can use real money to get stamina back instantly, or you can get an instance where you meet someone who just slaps stamina back into you

Seems like you need to have stamina to be able to unlock stuff? I might be interpreting Astarte incorrectly, can anyone confirm?

Peff

Seems like you need to have stamina to be able to unlock stuff? I might be interpreting Astarte incorrectly, can anyone confirm?

Basically you have an energy bar with twelve segments, each of which takes 20 minutes to recharge once used to play one fight. Every time you beat an enemy, you get a medal, which fills your version of that medal's bar a little until you reach max level and unlock it. You can also fight bosses, which unlock stuff immediately, but it takes either several fights (from 5 to like 20-30) or using a few segments of energy at the same time. From time to time you get random cameos from manga characters who cause different effects to happen: filling one segment of the bar, damaging the enemy, random benefit, etc. If you run out of stamina you have to play the rest of the game, which indeed doesn't allow you to unlock customization stuff, but you can get the characters and money for the Gallery.

Tizoc

Eh not a biggy for me, I can play one day, mess around in other modes, play the next day and so on and so forth.

Basically you have an energy bar with twelve segments, each of which takes 20 minutes to recharge once used to play one fight. Every time you beat an enemy, you get a medal, which fills your version of that medal's bar a little until you reach max level and unlock it. You can also fight bosses, which unlock stuff immediately, but it takes either several fights (from 5 to like 20-30) or using a few segments of energy at the same time. From time to time you get random cameos from manga characters who cause different effects to happen: filling one segment of the bar, damaging the enemy, random benefit, etc. If you run out of stamina you have to play the rest of the game, which indeed doesn't allow you to unlock customization stuff, but you can get the characters and money for the Gallery.

Thanks for clearing things up!

Eh not a biggy for me, I can play one day, mess around in other modes, play the next day and so on and so forth.

It probably might be a big deal to others who want to unlock everything right away or play for really long/single sessions due to their schedules.

If there's no juggle limit then could Johnny in horse stance just use 2A to the charge 4,6C move over and over? I got like three or four reps just doing that.

It's pretty amazing his GHA levels him up to Tusk Act 4 on Hit, Block, or Whiff.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
When unlocks go wrong.

Quite frankly I wouldn't mind putting down $10 just to say "fuck all that, just give me everything".

Unicorn

Lol who thought this was a good idea?

Got my copy today and I have to say that I'm enjoying it. I didn't expect a fighting game, so that might be why a lot of aspects don't bother me. Haven't touched the campaign stuff yet, so that might change my perception a bit.

Thanks for clarifying how the Campaign mode works. I was playing yesterday and was just kind of making assumptions since I can't read much.

I think the whole stamina thing is horrible idea. I couldn't even beat the first boss that I fought in Campaign mode because he had 3500 hp, and my whole bar wasn't enough to take all that off even though I never lost a fight against him. I wanted to try and unlock some of the character costumes, but it seems like it's going to take a long time. Luckily the character unlocks are done through story mode, so I can at least unlock those quicker.

Aside from costumes, what else do you unlock through Campaign mode?

Leezard

Thanks for clarifying how the Campaign mode works. I was playing yesterday and was just kind of making assumptions since I can't read much.

I think the whole stamina thing is horrible idea. I couldn't even beat the first boss that I fought in Campaign mode because he had 3500 hp, and my whole bar wasn't enough to take all that off even though I never lost a fight against him. I wanted to try and unlock some of the character costumes, but it seems like it's going to take a long time. Luckily the character unlocks are done through story mode, so I can at least unlock those quicker.

Taunts, colors, victory screens and kanji/kana that you can place on your taunts.

Peff

Fortunately next time you find that boss he'll have whatever HP was left after that, so the money-grubbing is not that transparent, haha. You can unlock alternative colours, extra poses and voiced lines for the taunts and, extra victory poses, colours for the onomatopoeias... customization stuff mostly. You also unlock some gifts every 1000 points, but those are just for when your character fights other people when the console is off, I think.

I just wished they'd included an option to buy stamina with the gold you get in game, since once you've bought all the art/sound, there's nothing else to do with it.

You also unlock some gifts every 1000 points, but those are just for when your character fights other people when the console is off, I think.
They're phrases for your player card, with a ton of different characters. Erina, Speedwagon, Stroheim, D'Arby... everyone who is in the game, playable or NPC.

Chairhome

Do you only unlock stuff for the character you are using in campaign mode? like if I'm using joseph to fight a boss and I get some medals, is that towards Joseph's stuff? Or the boss that I'm fighting? Also, what is the checklist that shows under the boss's pic when you're about to fight?

Shouta

Put a bit of time into the game and man, combos are so bad in this. You can barely do anything cool and damaging. =(

I do love the aesthetics and recreating the chars but I wish the combat was properly tuned.

Tizoc

Put a bit of time into the game and man, combos are so bad in this. You can barely do anything cool and damaging. =(

I do love the aesthetics and recreating the chars but I wish the combat was properly tuned.

I remember reading how damage in the earlier builds were pretty big, I get toning down the damage but this is silly.

These combos with Hermes are definitely the coolest things I've seen so far in this game. She's one of my favorites to play as so far surprisingly. You can do 2H, 3H puttstun cancel to open up a lot of combo options for her.

Played a bunch of matches with my friend and it was awesome. So far I'm liking Hermes, Kawajiri Kira, and Gappy the most. I want to use Josuke, Johnny, and Gyro more but I don't know any cool combos with them.

Top Bottom