• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

I love how he looks in in the manga

Why the hell they made his hair blue in the anime?

There's no canon color for pretty much anyone in JoJo. Koichi has 3 hair colors himself, he's blue in the games, blonde in the Shueisha colored digital manga, and he's grey in the anime.

Jonathan is blue in the anime, black in the colored manga, green on one of the volume covers, black in others, purple on the first JoJonium.

This is before you see how many color variations there are for figures and statues. I think DIO has like 4 official colorings?

ampere

The poses in part 1 are also so so absurd lol. Like the extreme arm bending. The art is sooooo weird.

man

The Lock was five fucking chapters in the DiU manga, what was Araki even thinking?

It was so heavy though. Toughest. enemy. ever.

Stuff like that reminds me of why I gave up on part 4 the first time I tried reading it. It's good stuff overall, but some stuff just draggggs

The poses in part 1 are also so so absurd lol. Like the extreme arm bending. The art is sooooo weird.

It was so heavy though. Toughest. enemy. ever.

Stuff like that reminds me of why I gave up on part 4 the first time I tried reading it. It's good stuff overall, but some stuff just draggggs

Yeah, I actually thought the first third of part 4 was kind of lame on reading, so I'm not surprised P4 is middling in Japanese Jojo part rankings, especially considering that said arcs took MONTHS to progress in its weekly release. That said, the anime really caught me off guard with how much I'm actually enjoying DiU's "shit arcs". I thought the lock and ratts were teeerrrrible in the manga, but I think they're some of the stronger episodes in the anime, at least in terms of entertainment and art direction. The last 13 or so episodes were supposed to be the pre-Egypt equivalent phase of DiU, so seeing people already claiming that DiU is their favourite part and that Josuke is their favourite Jojo
even though his goofy and super likeable personality doesn't really shine on until later
, is also very surprising. Hope DP manages to stay consistent and not shit the budget at the absolute worst time akin to the DIO fight.

I'm trying to imagine part 4 with a blue sky and it doesn't look as cool.

The digital colored manga generally uses blue for the sky. The anime is using volume and chapter covers for its environmental colors.

Tempted to do a post featuring some of the volume covers, because they're the clear inspiration for how the anime does coloring (especially the shifts). I figure some of the anime-only peeps might be interested, but actually looking for covers on your own can be a spoiler minefield.

cntr

Banned
Tempted to do a post featuring some of the volume covers, because they're the clear inspiration for how the anime does coloring (especially the shifts). I figure some of the anime-only peeps might be interested, but actually looking for covers on your own can be a spoiler minefield.
That'd be cool, yeah

man, if Araki was Australian, the series would have ended starring Animal Stand users only eventually.
This deadly creature gets a stand and that deadly creature gets a stand. Why would a Kangaroo need a grenade stand? Araki doesn't know either but it has one. Warning do not google animal stands, you'll find some weird shit...
Coco Jumbo
what in the fuck is even going on with this?

Well, I guess I could. I'll keep it to 2 or 3 covers each from parts 1-4.

So Part 1. Phantom Blood. Big Jonathan and Nasty Dio. The first volume stands out by how different it is from what follows. It's almost boring? Mind you, the first volume contains pretty much only Jonathan and Dio's childhoods. It does have a very...pulpy gothic horror vibe to it, though.

A1Ku3Yh.jpg

See? Nothing to write home about. Except maybe that Danny is pretty ripped too. But let's compare it to volume 4

0WUDtks.jpg

Now this is looking more right. We have Jonathan in his iconic pose, sparkling, and now he's very green. This seems much more like a color shift you'd see in the anime. The pose is right out of a fashion magazine (I mean this literally), and it's very interesting to see such a huge, muscle man all sparkly, with a ton of jewelry and striking a pose. 10/10.

So, our beautiful green man dies, and his jackass grandson takes over. The covers for Battle Tendency generally keep with the Phantom Blood covers (minus PB vol 1), bright colors, poses, copious sparkling and jewelry. We see here:

GW4sEn4.jpg

Good lord Joseph, your muscles have muscles. He's also in one of his iconic poses, and we get some shots of our beautiful Pillar Men to go with it. You'll notice he's very purple as well. This next one is familiar if you remember the end credits of episode 10.

bUR296a.jpg

The first version of Part 2's ending has Joseph in slightly modified version of this pose, accepting Jonathan's energy, symbolizing a passing of the torch. And now Joseph is green. And so for the last BT cover I'll feature, we get another famous JoJo pose.

at2mlrR.jpg

Now we're purple and pink, with Joseph doing his chop pose that you probably remember from the Stand Proud opening. Sparkles everywhere, jewelry, it's all very pretty. I like how Caesar's band around his head is very different in coloring, making it stand out as something that clearly isn't Joseph's. It's a nice little thing.

It's late, and this is a big post already, so I'll do Stardust and Diamond tomorrow (or today I guess since it's after midnight and now my birthday)

I will gladly spend time on my birthday to make effort posts about JoJo volume covers.

Danny also loses all his muscle mass in Araki's new artstyle.

Also Araki gets worse at drawing dogs as time goes on. There's a dog in Part 8 that is just baffling, if they didn't tell you it was a dog you'd probably have no clue.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The early jojo face was pretty much a common style. As in, eith few minor tweaks Johnathan would look like 009

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've always loved the cover of volume 1 of Phantom Blood and was so disappointed the original covers didn't come inside the Jojonium English releases! :(

They could have added the cover of the manga chapters at the end of the volumes or something. That would have been so dope to go along with the interviews of his new art style/certain character bios.

Mista Koo

The best thing about Phantom Blood was Dio. He was an amazing villain and the best one we got so far.

This is the only season where some episodes feels like fillers to me

sniper rats, the hair lady, the mangaka guy and even the invisible baby episodes don't feel significant to me.

not necessarily a bad thing, but I hope the plot progresses a bit since the last plot related episode was 4 episodes(a month) ago.
Based on the next episode title and the OP all of these characters are gonna be focused on again, so I'd argue their introduction arcs were plot related.

There's no canon color for pretty much anyone in JoJo.
the sky is yellow

the roads are green
These two facets of Jojo have inspired me a lot. I wanna make visual works of art that have ever-changing unrealistic color palettes.

Art included in Jojonium re-releases.
tumblr_inline_n1fe36Yhkj1ryu3hd.jpg

It's quite fabu
Pink haired Dio is cool. Why is Dio of all people wearing Danny like a scarf?

Danny also loses all his muscle mass in Araki's new artstyle.

Also Araki gets worse at drawing dogs as time goes on. There's a dog in Part 8 that is just baffling, if they didn't tell you it was a dog you'd probably have no clue.
Everybody lost their gains after the Jojonium covers, even the Pillar Men.

Nottle

Why is Part 1 being bad such a popular opinion? Do I only like it cause I'm a Jojo noob compared to a lot of people?
It just doesn't have amazing characters other than Dio. They can be fun characters at times but the story is very simple. Also it's fights are straightforward and Johnathan as a character is very much a good guy hero man. Granted, I like that personally because he serves as a foil to Dio unreasonably malicious dickery. Since he is a good guy that gets absolutely dragged through the mud by the villain it sets up an interesting expectation: that no one is safe from death, not even the main character that is so pure and heroic. Ever since part 1 there is actual tension that a hero could bite the dust

After part 1 we get various anti heroes. Joseph will throw dirt on your eyes and punch you in the dick to win, Jotaro will just murder you for giving him straight fries when he asked for curly fries, Josuke goes into a blind rage and puts you in the hospital for a month for insulting his hair Johnathan just doesn't have a lot of fun moments because he is played so straight where everyone else has quirks or interesting character traits.

Honestly though, part 3 Dio should have had some more flair. Part 3 unlike part 1 gives us little reason to actually hate Dio.

Thud

I've always loved the cover of volume 1 of Phantom Blood and was so disappointed the original covers didn't come inside the Jojonium English releases! :(

They could have added the cover of the manga chapters at the end of the volumes or something. That would have been so dope to go along with the interviews of his new art style/certain character bios.

It has a really classical feel to it the original cover. When I was in Tokyo in 2012, I saw a lot of JoJo. It filled my heart with joy lol.

Sorry for the crappy pics in advance, thought it would be cool to share.

http://imgur.com/a/sKP1S

If I had iifinite money I would have robbed that store lol.

It has a really classical feel to it the original cover. When I was in Tokyo in 2012, I saw a lot of JoJo. It filled my heart with joy lol.

Sorry for the crappy pics in advance, thought it would be cool to share.

http://imgur.com/a/sKP1S

If I had iifinite money I would have robbed that store lol.
I can't see it too well...is that the part 2 cover where Joseph has like 4 different hats on?

cntr

Banned
it took four men, two deaths and several episodes to even figure out that timestop was being used against them in Stardust Crusaders, yet a single rat not only figures it out instantly but counters it after only a few seconds. what the fuck

Thud

I can't see it too well...is that the part 2 cover where Joseph has like 4 different hats on?

Yes, Joseph is wearing four hats. It's a japanese manga boxset (bunko) of Part 1 & Part 2. Better pic:

NEOBK-247826.jpg

I remember not seeing the part 5 boxset, probably sold out. Part 6 I removed of my own volition, you can look it up if you want it's pretty sweet. In case you're wondering where they are.

Anyway just something to add on the cover art. Not to derail this thread in manga talk. Please continue discussing the DIU anime! (laughs). Just fabulous to see how this all worked out. This was four years back, probably in the midst of promotional work and now it's one of the most popular anime in the west. Really cool it gets the recognition it deserves.

Tizoc

The best thing about Phantom Blood was Dio. He was an amazing villain and the best one we got so far.

sSeaP.gif

The digital colored manga generally uses blue for the sky. The anime is using volume and chapter covers for its environmental colors.

Just post the covers for Part 1 to 3, THOSE already got their anime adaptation so they're fair game long as they don't show Part 4 or onward stuff ;)

Yes, Joseph is wearing four hats. It's a japanese manga boxset (bunko) of Part 1 & Part 2. Better pic:

NEOBK-247826.jpg

I remember not seeing the part 5 boxset, probably sold out. Part 6 I removed of my own volition, you can look it up if you want it's pretty sweet. In case you're wondering where they are.

Anyway just something to add on the cover art. Not to derail this thread in manga talk. Please continue discussing the DIU anime! (laughs). Just fabulous to see how this all worked out. This was four years back, probably in the midst of promotional work and now it's one of the most popular anime in the west. Really cool it gets the recognition it deserves.
Are all those hats armor buffs? How do they not get knocked off his head during combat? Do they aid in conducting the Ripple?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

Animals act on instinct, it doesn't have to figure out what is happening standwise, it just has to watch Jotaro's movements and adjust. It shoots, jotaro moves a few feet in one direction, ok try again with that in mind. It's simple brain probably works in it's favor. It doesn't get consumed by the mystique.

(Arakisplaining)

ampere

Araki makes animals with stands some of the craziest opponents. Remember the ape in part 3?

Jotaro would have been pretty permanently fucked by that rat without Crazy Diamond to heal him. I guess the healing stand as a plot device gave a lot more freedom in that regard

Araki makes animals with stands some of the craziest opponents. Remember the ape in part 3?

Jotaro would have been pretty permanently fucked by that rat without Crazy Diamond to heal him. I guess the healing stand as a plot device gave a lot more freedom in that regard
It's like Jotaro used Team Fortress 2 tactics...

The Ratt section's real purpose is for Jotaro to teach Josuke some important things, that are effective even beyond hunting evil Stand rats. Tracking, attacking from range, observing your surroundings. It's entirely possible that Jotaro held back specifically so Josuke could grow, and it worked.

Nottle

I mean the rat probably heard all the gossip about JOTARO AND HIS CRAZY TIME STOPPING THE WORLD. Since like literally everyone seems to know about it.
To be fair everyone knowing about Jotaro's stand makes it so that he seems like the hardest mother fucker ever because every villain is like "well if I run into Jotaro or don't take him out first, I'm fucked." It's also smart because it makes it so that Jotaro can't just solve every situation because the enemies know to be cautious.

To be fair everyone knowing about Jotaro's stand makes it so that he seems like the hardest mother fucker ever because every villain is like "well if I run into Jotaro or don't take him out first, I'm fucked." It's also smart because it makes it so that Jotaro can't just solve every situation because the enemies know to be cautious.
Yeah Jotaro's like a stand pro in this Part. Would love for a later part where Koichi shows up and they're like, "Don't fuck with Koichi-kun, he'll throw curse words and loud sounds at us."

Nottle

Yeah Jotaro's like a stand pro in this Part. Would love for a later part where Koichi shows up and they're like, "Don't fuck with Koichi-kun, he'll throw curse words and loud sounds at us."
That Koichi is nothing but trouble, I'm going to stop hanging out with him...

Astral

As much as Jotaro made Dio his bitch, Dio would have probably defeated this rat with ease since he can stop time for a lot longer and simply close the gap.

Hatty

Ratt exists to show power levels are useless in JoJo. The ultimate power from the previous arc gets bested by a rat with a sniper scope

Top Bottom