• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

jett

D-Member
Cni5ZGSXgAAPErK.jpg

It's really amazing how much better this episode looks. I was honestly mesmerized by the line art in the close ups. I think this is peak quality JoJo.

Astral

Man Jotaro was such a punk in Part 3. I think it's safe to say he doesn't do shit like this anymore:

9dd.gif

Unless they're being really loud and obnoxious.

Man Jotaro was such a punk in Part 3. I think it's safe to say he doesn't do shit like this anymore:

9dd.gif

Unless they're being really loud and obnoxious.
I actually find that part hilarious now, though him calling his mom a bitch was just not cool. Makes me wonder what kind of rumors Josuke and Okuyasu would start about younger Jotaro.
"Don't hang out with Jotaro. He'll steal your homework and push your sister to the ground."
61158.original-8851.png

Astral

Wasn't it autistic? I forgot who started that here lol. Regardless, the guy is definitely socially awkward even at 28. Just look at his conversation with Josuke's
fine-ass
mom. It's like shyness or awkwardness that he's trying to cover up with rudeness.

cntr

Banned
Is Jotaro the inspiration of Yusuke Urameshi?
Most "badass stoic" shounen protags are inspired by Jotaro in some way, I'm sure

I actually find that part hilarious now, though him calling his mom a bitch was just not cool. Makes me wonder what kind of rumors Josuke and Okuyasu would start about younger Jotaro.
For what it's worth, it's a Japanese thing where he addressed her rudely; it's hard to translate and "bitch" isn't quite right

Most "badass stoic" shounen protags are inspired by Jotaro in some way, I'm sure
Though Yusuke is probably a bit of Jotaro and Josuke...did Josuke even exist when YYH came out?
Wasn't it autistic? I forgot who started that here lol. Regardless, the guy is definitely socially awkward even at 28. Just look at his conversation with Josuke's
fine-ass
mom. It's like shyness or awkwardness that he's trying to cover up with rudeness.
I get the feeling with Jotaro that he just wants to bail the fuck out of any situation that gets him into an actual conversation. Stand battle some rats? Sign me up. Look at a dolphins pectoral fin? Sign me the fuck up. Talk to a person about anything normal? Nope...get out of here bitch you're making too much noise...miss...can I leave now?

cntr

Banned
Though Yusuke is probably a bit of Jotaro and Josuke...did Josuke even exist when YYH came out?
YYH started shortly before DiU and ran together; wouldn't be surprised if Togashi and Araki took mild inspiration from each other.

similarly, Dragonball was in its last years when DiU came out, that's why Koichi is a Gohan/Cell joke

Thud

YYH started shortly before DiU and ran together; wouldn't be surprised if Togashi and Araki took mild inspiration from each other.

similarly, Dragonball was in its last years when DiU came out, that's why Koichi is a Gohan/Cell joke

Norio Wakamoto both as Cell and Hol Horse was amazing.

Astral

I get the feeling with Jotaro that he just wants to bail the fuck out of any situation that gets him into an actual conversation. Stand battle some rats? Sign me up. Look at a dolphins pectoral fin? Sign me the fuck up. Talk to a person about anything normal? Nope...get out of here bitch you're making too much noise...miss...can I leave now?

It's almost kinda cute when you think about it that way.

Well that makes more sense. Yusuke has the mouth of Josuke...though far far more vulgar cause Yusuke mom is a shit heap, probably a bit of a punk like Joseph, but even Yusuke trained and I don't remember literally cheating at one stage to get an advantage though. I guess Yusuke would be getting his hard man facade from Jotaro.

Thud

Delinquents became really popular in the 80's and in the years after that they would soften character. Like if you know this guy he's actually not that bad.

Now you got a whole bunch of those characters. Every persona game has at least one.

The number of things that JoJo has inspired or has been referenced by is astounding. The wikia has a whole huge page about it, but it's pretty spoilery.

Stuff like Benimaru from King of Fighters being called Polnareff during development, a wall in Ninja Gaiden for the arcade having the pillar men on it.

Monster Hunter 3 had a exclusive Hammer that was Crazy Diamond themed, and it healed your allies if you hit them.

Hiro from NBC show Heroes has time control powers, and mentioned JoJo when stopping time at one point. He also says "Muda muda" to a couple people

Thud

That doesn't explain part 4...is his hat white in the front black in the back?

I think it used to be a white hat, but he wears this one all the time so the part where it meets his hair blackened.

Or his hat is a stand we don't know about. There's probably a fanfic out there where his hat is actually a girl dolphin.

Genryu

Banned
I think it used to be a white hat, but he wears this one all the time so the part where it meets his hair blackened.

Or his hat is a stand we don't know about. There's probably a fanfic out there where his hat is actually a girl dolphin.

I always assumed his hats were just torn up in the back.

I think aside from Dragon Ball, Doraemon and Gundam JoJo might be the most referenced manga in other manga/anime. It's been around for three decades so that probably helps.

Persona 4 has so many references to Diamond is Unbreakable, I can't even list them all without getting into massive spoilers for both
So the main villain in DIU
is a fucking cop
then? Real deal though who is the Naoto of DIU? I need a waifu that isn't Yukako.

cntr

Banned
nah

It's more stuff like "there's a dead guy on electrical wires" and other stuff I'll mention when this comes up again after more episodes air

nah

It's more stuff like "there's a dead guy on electrical wires" and other stuff I'll mention when this comes up again after more episodes air
Yeah that makes sense, that and the overall theme since P4 was pretty much just a slice of life thing while trying to solve murders. DiU is pretty much just Josuke and crew stumbling into batshit ass stand battles. I mean barring idiots like Akira they're really not even being hunted down by anything currently. Yukako was kicked off by a coffee conversation and she wanted the D.

cntr

Banned
He's not based on Okuyasu, it's just vague inspiration. They're still different characters. Same with most Persona 4 references to DiU, they're noticeable but the end result and themes are different

I know about the various Person3&4 and SMT games. I just dont see how Kanji is based off Okuy.

He's not besides them both being Yankee arch types.

Kanji's not dumb and he has a way softer/feminine side, which is also a pretty typical yankee archtype thing

Its like when people say Mako's fight club uniform from kill la kill is a jotaro reference. Not really, just a banchou reference, of which Jotaro is one of the more famous ones.

Thud

Kanji's not dumb and he has a way softer/feminine side, which is also a pretty typical yankee archtype thing

Its like when people say Mako's fight club uniform from kill la kill is a jotaro reference. Not really, just a banchou reference, of which Jotaro is one of the more famous ones.

Jotaro digivolved once:

248197.jpg

But Mako was wearing Jotaro's hat of all things.

cntr

Banned
to be clear, by "inspired", I just mean the writers got inspiration from Okuyasu to add a yankee delinquent character with Kanji, since they were already taking ideas from Part 4 to write Persona 4. They're not similar beyond that.

Top Bottom