• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

cntr

Banned
I wonder what stupid names Araki would come up with if users shouted out individual attack names instead of Stand names

SPACE RIPPER SCRAPEY HAND

silva1991

I think the reason Part 3 for example doesn't feel like filler is because they have a set destination they're constantly moving towards. It's still pretty much just fighting guys Dio sends after them though. This is pretty much fighting guys the arrow was used on.

Main plot is next week though.

I didn't mind the consistent fighting considering every fight was so unique, varied and fresh

+

cool, I can't wait for the next episode.

I think the reason Part 3 for example doesn't feel like filler is because they have a set destination they're constantly moving towards. It's still pretty much just fighting guys Dio sends after them though. This is pretty much fighting guys the arrow was used on.

Main plot is next week though.

While it's true that some recent episodes could e considered filler, it avoid the complaints many had about part 3 that it had a villain of the week routine. The fact most of the filler characters aren't outright villains make the variety of conflict more interesting.

Hatty

Once the main antagonist appears the story still doesn't focus on the main conflict completely. The majority of the episodes in part 4 will have very little to do with the main plot and I love it for that

While it's true that some recent episodes could e considered filler, it avoid the complaints many had about part 3 that it had a villain of the week routine. The fact most of the filler characters aren't outright villains make the variety of conflict more interesting.

And the part 4 opponents have different goals and motivation. Unlike part 3 where they were all serving DIOO-SAMA

I do like how Josuke and crew for the most part aren't trying to kill the other stand users. I wouldn't have liked it if Yukako died. Who else would've made Koichi-kun into a better man?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
so I think that part 4 is a big improvement on part 3 insofar as Stand of the Week might still be a thing, but they're all independent opponents with independent motivations so it doesn't feel quite as repetitive. However, since the defeat of RHCP, I do think the show has become pretty aimless. I did enjoy the Ratt episode, but it did feel like filler and I hope the show gets some direction starting next episode.

Anyone who uses the word "filler" to describe any JoJo doesn't deserve it.

Everything in Part 4 is relevant because "life in a weird town" is the main theme of DiU. It doesn't even need a main villain (although it has the best one).

I find it hard to care about a main narrative thread when our heroes just wander into awesome fights like its Street Fighter

you'll get your narrative eventually

Nikokuno

Greato episode, Jotaro saving Josuke with Star Platinum : The World was so cool that a rewind that scene like 10 times lol and nice battle, Jotaro's experience is his greatest strength even if his stand is OP too.

Matsukaze

so I think that part 4 is a big improvement on part 3 insofar as Stand of the Week might still be a thing, but they're all independent opponents with independent motivations so it doesn't feel quite as repetitive. However, since the defeat of RHCP, I do think the show has become pretty aimless. I did enjoy the Ratt episode, but it did feel like filler and I hope the show gets some direction starting next episode.
I think you'll be pretty happy with the upcoming episode, if that's the case. :)

ampere

Any must watch episodes so far? I got the JoJo itch again recently and re-read 1-3 and part of 4 I had read before, and just recently finished part 4. Not sure I'd want to watch the whole thing since I prefer comics

(God part 1 is so bad compared to the rest of the series)

Any must watch episodes so far? I got the JoJo itch again recently and re-read 1-3 and part of 4 I had read before, and just recently finished part 4. Not sure I'd want to watch the whole thing since I prefer comics

Every episode minus one or two is a must watch, tbh. DiU has been a step above a step above in all aspects, it is really great

The DiU anime has done a great job even with some of the more lackluster encounters like The Lock and Surface.

Crocodile

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: DIU Episode 15

• This new OP is ANIME AS FUCK LOL
  • Does Okuyasu ever stop jobbing?
  • Damn Josuke runs across a room slowly. Rohan can't just have super, talking/moving-is-a-free-action speed all the time :p
  • Literally blind with rage! Get fucked Rohan!
  • I'm glad we got the backstory on Josuke's hair. I don't think it justifies his tantrums but at least I have some perspective.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: DIU Episode 16

• Ok cool, Josuke & Jotaro bonding time!
  • What kind of moron goes around shooting rats with arrows? Nothing about Akira and his motives/actions make sense. Seems like a wasted character in the narrative.
  • Errrrr.......this is some gross shit >_< (We're just assuming Joskue healed the farm couple?)
  • Jotaro has talked more in this one episode that all/most of Stardust Crusaders.
  • These time stops are weak sauce. I don't buy for a second that someone with the power to stop time for several seconds would be "out of shape". There are so many uses for that across one's life LOL
  • Goddam, this rat fucked up Jotaro more than anyone in Stardust Crusaders aside from Dio!
  • Ending was pretty cool <3

Jotaro probably just uses his time stop to experiment on dolphins...most people would use that shit to peak up women's skirts...or troll the ever holy shit out of people like DIO.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

I'd honestly just watch episode 1. Great pacing, great animation, great transitions, great use of music. When it came out I watched it maybe 5 times in anticipation of episode 2, something I never do.

cntr

Banned
Akira is a strange villain, he avoids causing excessive damage. Like not charging RHCP to its full power, because it would shut Morioh down.

So he used rats, instead of testing it on people

Why is Part 1 being bad such a popular opinion? Do I only like it cause I'm a Jojo noob compared to a lot of people?

I don't think anyone considers it outright bad, Jonathan is just really vanilla.

Some of the storytelling in the later half is a little clunky.

If there's one thing I don't miss from the ripple, it's the training arcs.

Raxus

I don't think anyone considers it outright bad, Jonathan is just really vanilla.

Some of the storytelling in the later half is a little clunky.

If there's one thing I don't miss from the ripple, it's the training arcs.

Yeah. So far it is the weakest out of the series for me. The animation is the jankiest in part 1, the story is crammed into 9ish episodes and it stars the dullest Jo.

That being said I would happily sit down and watch JoJo part 1 than most anime in general.

ampere

I'd honestly just watch episode 1. Great pacing, great animation, great transitions, great use of music. When it came out I watched it maybe 5 times in anticipation of episode 2, something I never do.

I did, I enjoyed it. I don't generally like watching anime and prefer comics, but it was enjoyable. Like getting to see Jotaro and Josuke and they picked good voices for them

Why is Part 1 being bad such a popular opinion? Do I only like it cause I'm a Jojo noob compared to a lot of people?

It was the first thing I read years back when I wanted to get into the series, and it's just so... lame. Jonathan is all obsessed with being a gentleman and he's such a pushover (for a good bit) it's frustrating. Given the era and location, it's probably not unrealistic characterization of a noble child though. It absolutely sets the series up well, but I just don't like it much. Maybe the anime makes it more enjoyable. Joseph and Jotaro are so much more interesting

Zeppeli is interesting and I do like the introduction of Hamon/Ripple

Betty

Banned

It's great, but after viewing part 2 and onward it does slightly pale in comparison.

Jonathan is also a bit of a boring Mary Sue compared to the other JoJo's, but he's made endearing because Araki doesn't give him an easy time or a happy ending.

silva1991

Reasons why it's mediocre and the worst one in the anime for me:

1- the quality overall is mediocre at best(drawings, art and characters looks and animations etc)
2- pacing issues( they squeezed a 20 episodes worth of content in just 9 episodes and it's felt rushed)
3- I might be on the minority here, but Dio is just a boring villain for me and I hated him in both part 1 and 3(thankfully he only showed up in the last few episodes)
4- weakest both side and main characters by far imo.

part 2 is huge step up in everything and it's why I continued watching this great anime.

It was the first thing I read years back when I wanted to get into the series, and it's just so... lame. Jonathan is all obsessed with being a gentleman and he's such a pushover (for a good bit) it's frustrating. Given the era and location, it's probably not unrealistic characterization of a noble child though. It absolutely sets the series up well, but I just don't like it much. Maybe the anime makes it more enjoyable. Joseph and Jotaro are so much more interesting

Zeppeli is interesting and I do like the introduction of Hamon/Ripple
It's definitely one part I'll probably never read. I just think it translates to a more enjoyable experience via the anime. The hammy ass voice acting work, Koyasu putting in far too much work and the escalation are enjoyable to me. I will admit I really don't watch it for Jonathan though, I watch it for Dio. Dio's douchebaggery as the catalyst that pushes Jonathan over the edge is just too good. Story essentially kicks off because Jonathan's dad put too much faith into a fucking douchebag that burned his sons dog alive.

Betty

Banned
It's definitely one part I'll probably never read. I just think it translates to a more enjoyable experience via the anime. The hammy ass voice acting work, Koyasu putting in far too much work and the escalation are enjoyable to me. I will admit I really don't watch it for Jonathan though, I watch it for Dio. Dio's douchebaggery as the catalyst that pushes Jonathan over the edge is just too good. Story essentially kicks off because Jonathan's dad put too much faith into a fucking douchebag that burned his sons dog alive.

The manga is well worth reading just for gorgeous art alone, especially as they're releasing all the part's in compiled hardback volumes now.

Matsukaze

Reading Part 1 is hilarious because everyone is so huge.
jojo5.jpg
Jonathan is one swole motherfucker. The anime made him look so much more human lol.

2- pacing issues( they squeezed a 20 episodes worth of content in just 9 episodes and it's felt rushed)

This is definitely not the case. Phantom Blood is only 44 chapters, and the anime only cut a little bit (backstory on the Ring Challenge, Jonathan vs Wang Chun), leaving it 3-5 chapters per episode, which is what the average chapter->episode that DiU is doing as well. 20 episodes would have left it at 2 chapters an episode and that would have been fucking AWFUL. At most, with everything that was left out added, it would have only been 10 episodes long, 11 at the most.

Phantom Blood's real problem is it just being North Star with vampires, and Araki not being settled on a tone or theme. Jonathan is not a Mary Sue (really, don't use this term if you don't know what it means), because Jonathan's life gets fucked up almost constantly and he loses in the end. The best part about him is his influence on his descendants, who tend to inherit his best attributes without being like him.

silva1991

This is definitely not the case. Phantom Blood is only 44 chapters, and the anime only cut a little bit (backstory on the Ring Challenge, Jonathan vs Wang Chun), leaving it 3-5 chapters per episode, which is what the average chapter->episode that DiU is doing as well. 20 episodes would have left it at 2 chapters an episode and that would have been fucking AWFUL. At most, with everything that was left out added, it would have only been 10 episodes long, 11 at the most.

Phantom Blood's real problem is it just being North Star with vampires, and Araki not being settled on a tone or theme. Jonathan is not a Mary Sue (really, don't use this term if you don't know what it means), because Jonathan's life gets fucked up almost constantly and he loses in the end. The best part about him is his influence on his descendants, who tend to inherit his best attributes without being like him.

I guess I just didn't like it's pacing even if it was like that in the manga.

Now I wanna read the ring challenge part :O

Jonathan is one swole motherfucker. The anime made him look so much more human lol.

Holy shit I bet pillar men are even bigger.

I guess I just didn't like it's pacing even if it was like that in the manga.

Now I wanna read the ring challenge part :O

Phantom Blood is just as fast in the manga, yes. It's actually its biggest positive, because you can read the whole Part in like less than an hour.

Also this is 12 year old Jonathan in the manga

SCczOhg.jpg

silva1991

Phantom Blood is just as fast in the manga, yes. It's actually its biggest positive, because you can read the whole Part in like less than an hour.

Also this is 12 year old Jonathan in the manga

SCczOhg.jpg

I love how he looks in in the manga

Why the hell they made his hair blue in the anime?

Top Bottom