• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Tizoc

When you think about it, Dio was inspired by Bowie too, what with the blonde hair and his body just...reminds me of Bowie.

Ridley327

When you think about it, Dio was inspired by Bowie too, what with the blonde hair and his body just...reminds me of Bowie.

There are certainly worse wells to keep drawing water from, and when it's someone like Bowie, pretty much all of the other ones fall into that category!

Ezalc

Queen, Bowie, and AC/DC are probably the most referenced bands by Araki. With Pink Floyd and Prince rounding out the top 5.

Betty

Banned
Okay, I admit part 4 is starting to edge out part 3 just because it's taking twists and turns compared to Crusaders who's ultimate goal was known since episode 1.

Kinda surprised how likeable Rohan is when he's not being scummy and again the music throughout was so on point.

This is the episode where the synopsis for the show finally makes sense though.

Mortemis

Banned
Kira! Mother fucking Kira is here. man

MzTAahx.gif

can I say I'm having the time of my life watching my fav part animated so beautifully. This is amazing work by David pro.

Crocodile

Well I guess we've already had vampires, zombies and whatever the fuck the Pillar Men were so I guess ghosts shouldn't be off the table. Still took me off guard a bit though.

Also was it me or did a lot of the character art seem wonky this episode?

I'm also surprised Koichi even bothered to give Rohan the time of day. I would have told that dude to fuck off.

Well I guess we've already had vampires, zombies and whatever the fuck the Pillar Men were so I guess ghosts shouldn't be off the table. Still took me off guard a bit though.

I'm also surprised Koichi even bothered to give Rohan the time of day. I would have told that dude to fuck off.
Koichi has no dignity.

cntr

Banned
If you're curious (not a spoiler), Araki decided in a volume extra that the Ripple and Vampirism were incomplete realizations of stand power. Since stands are psychic powers, ghosts are kind of like stands? I dunno.

Wonder if that'd make the stone mask a shitty version of the stand arrow?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speaking of Pink Floyd, it's believed both Reimi and Arnold reference Pink Floyd songs...

According to rumors, the Pink Floyd song "See Emily Play" was written by Syd Barrett after hallucinating a girl while sleeping in the woods after a drug trip, though he said he made this story up and it's believed that it may be named for the British sculpture Emily Young. Reimi can be rearranged into Emiri, how you'd write Emily out in Japanese syllables.

Arnold likewise is believed to be named afterthe song Arnold Layne, but there's no connection really to a dog---the song is about a transvestite who steals women's clothing, and I assume the idea was that it was done out of sexual arousal rather than identifying as a woman. One could perhaps see this connected to Kira who also has a kink, but one that manifests itself in a far more dangerous way. I used to think he was just named for Arnold Schwarzenegger though.

Tall4Life

That episode was fucking nuts! I figured it would be a set up episode since Reimi clearly wasn't a stand user. Thought they were going to leave that plotline at that, but nope, the murderer was revealed right away and my god is he a psychopath. I can't wait.

Mortemis

Banned

Yeah, Koichi and Rohan did seem off on a couple cuts. Not too bad but noticeable.

Madao

i guess the fact most of those were left behind by this point makes most people forget there's lots of insane shit completely unrelated to Stands.

If you're curious (not a spoiler), Araki decided in a volume extra that the Ripple and Vampirism were incomplete realizations of stand power. Since stands are psychic powers, ghosts are kind of like stands? I dunno.

Wonder if that'd make the stone mask a shitty version of the stand arrow?

well, if you think about it in detail, the Stone Mask did the same thing the Arrow does but instead of drawing out your potential as psychic powers (Stands), it brings out the potential of your physical body. the whole of Part 2 was because the Pillar Men wanted to obtain the full potential of their bodies and that would let them conquer the sunlight and the world.

I'm pretty sure it's just Arnold Schwarzenegger. That's too subtle for Araki references.

i thought it was due to Arnold Schwarzenegger because the other Dog's house has "Rocky" written in it and Rocky is one of Sylvester Stallone's characters, which would bring the references together.

Neoxon

I just realized that Kira's VA is Sephiroth, which fits perfectly with the fact that Rohan's VA is Cloud. It's almost as if it was intentional.

WAIT

THEY PLAYED THE
QUEEN
SONG

is it going to happen
That's what I want to know. I kept hearing that they snuck in
the song Killer Queen
somewhere in the episode.

Bums me out that the PS3 port of that game is unavailable now, I arrived to the JoJo party too late.

The PS3 port was actually kind of fucked up (characters had wildly incorrect health values, which busted the game's balancing
even more
). You're better off emulating if you want to try it.

Astral

I just realized that Kira's VA is Sephiroth, which fits perfectly with the fact that Rohan's VA is Cloud. It's almost as if it was intentional.

That's what I want to know. I kept hearing that they snuck in
the song Killer Queen
somewhere in the episode.

Not really.
Kira's theme just sounded a bit like the Killer Queen intro, which I hope was on purpose.

Madao

Still the best animal stand user. Probably the only bird fit for DIO makes me wonder how those two met.
latest

it probably went like this:

DIO is training his newly awakened ZA WARUDO thanks to Enya using the bow and arrow on him and, while in the middle of training, Pet Shop suddendly flies into the house and decides to attack. Enya, seeing that something was gonna attack DIO-SAMA and without thinking, shoots it down with the bow and arrow (remember, it kills most living things if they lack stand potential) to protect him, but, like the Rats that Jotaro and Josuke met, Pet Shop just rolled a bit and freed himself from the arrow.
at that point DIO intimidates Pet Shop a bit and he ddecides to become his servant because DIO can just convince any guy with nasty thoughts to become his servant.

it probably went like this:

DIO is training his newly awakened ZA WARUDO thanks to Enya using the bow and arrow on him and, while in the middle of training, Pet Shop suddendly flies into the house and decides to attack. Enya, seeing that something was gonna attack DIO-SAMA and without thinking, shoots it down with the bow and arrow (remember, it kills most living things if they lack stand potential) to protect him, but, like the Rats that Jotaro and Josuke met, Pet Shop just rolled a bit and freed himself from the arrow.
at that point DIO intimidates Pet Shop a bit and he ddecides to become his servant because DIO can just convince any guy with nasty thoughts to become his servant.
"Enyaba, I like how that falcon poses. Shoot it."
"If it has no stand potential it'll die Dio-sama."
"Look at that smug bastard, he's full of standu potential. I must have him, make him mine Enyaba."

McFadge

Been rewatching Stardust Crusaders with some friends. During the opening I noticed an extra shooting star heading off on the ride side of the screen near the start of the opening. What's this a reference to? I can't think of what it would be.

Moaradin

Been rewatching Stardust Crusaders with some friends. During the opening I noticed an extra shooting star heading off on the ride side of the screen near the start of the opening. What's this a reference to? I can't remember anything it would be.

Isn't that Iggy?

McFadge

Isn't that Iggy?

I guess that could work? It seems like it's in an entirely different part of the world, whereas the five stars fly towards the mansion. Iggy also doesn't show up until the second opening, but that doesn't really prevent them from using it.

Astral

I guess that could work? It seems like it's in an entirely different part of the world, whereas the five stars fly towards the mansion. Iggy also doesn't show up until the second opening, but that doesn't really prevent them from using it.

It's Iggy. It's just to show that he shows up later into the journey.

Top Bottom