• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

JohnDoe

Banned
Diamond is unbreakable works on a cowboy bebop/champloo structure where there's a main goal but most episodes/arcs do what they want.

The difference in DiU is that everything is linked somehow, in both minor and major ways. It's a connected story told in a kind of scrambled way.

Seconded.
Be a bit patient and relax, guys. Jeez.
It bugs me how in the age of the internet every 20 minute episode has to warrant such extreme reactions and emotions. Let the shit marinate a bit.

Breads

Banned
Episode 18 was kind of disappointing for me, especially after 17 which really moved the plot and villain forward. I was hoping that they'd build on that but it seems like we're getting 2 episodes of this instead. Ugh. The whole thing has overstayed its welcome too. This is probably my least favorite episode so far, not very GUREITO.

I going to be interested in how you react to the payoff.

Seconded.
Be a bit patient and relax, guys. Jeez.
It bugs me how in the age of the internet every 20 minute episode has to warrant such extreme reactions and emotions. Let the shit marinate a bit.

I mean I'm okay with stuff taking its time, but as a first time diu watcher it feels like its taken too long to get to the main point of the series which I imagine on a rewatch won't be an issue. Every other part of jojo so far within 3 episodes you know the main cast and what the goal of the season is. Diu by comparison has drip fed us major characters and has a weird structure of "find this guy with the bow... Actually this guy with the bow... Actually this murder who killed the ghost you just met" which I find personally frustrating. People kept calling this series "scooby doo with stands/the series persona 4 ripped off" yet until last weeks episode (haven't seen the most recent) I wouldn't remotely attach the word mystery to this series.

The bebop comparison also isn't fair since that series started full sale as a vignette style and even its "main story" is told across 3 vignettes but the whole casts main stories are told the same way. Part 1 and 2 of jojo were completely narrative driven, part 3 used each city/country to create a stand of the week vignette but we always knew the goal and we saw progress made each week towards it. Part 4 hasn't had that yet its felt mostly disconnected, I get its intentional but I keep waiting for the moment everything snaps together and it keeps not happening.

I totally get that the structure is far from first time reader/viewer friendly. Even as someone who marathoned the manga so it wasn't as big a deal. For instance, Josuke and Joseph with the baby arc was FIVE CHAPTERS. Five WEEKLY chapters, which is insane.

A lot of people will (not unjustly) hype up the big villain of the arc. And while he is great what I like about part 4 are the main characters and how the "battles" are actually opportunities for character development and for character dynamics to shine.

Of course, if you don't care for the cast, DiU falls flat a bit.

I find Diamond is Unbreakable's approach, where it focuses on small-scale encounters with unique setups, refreshing. Saving the world all the time becomes tiresome. The character interactions and quirks are the most enjoyable part here. Of course, there's a reason its structure is little imitated among battle shounen manga. Most of that audience want an end goal established early (find the One Piece, become Hokage, etc.) and want a continuous plot that at least pays lipservice to attaining that goal.

I find Diamond is Unbreakable's approach, where it focuses on small-scale encounters with unique setups, refreshing. Saving the world all the time becomes tiresome. The character interactions and quirks are the most enjoyable part here. Of course, there's a reason its structure is little imitated among battle shounen manga. Most of that audience want an end goal established early (find the One Piece, become Hokage, etc.) and want a continuous plot that at least pays lipservice to attaining that goal.
After experiencing "Become Hokage" myself, I'm glad DiU isn't like that.

I can kind of understand why some don't care for DIU. So far it hasn't really grabbed me. Someone said it's the characters that are the selling point and if that's the case it might end up 3rd on my list behind SC and BT.

With that said, there is still about 20 episodes left so my feelings can change, but as of now DIU is just ok to me.

Tall4Life

But there comes a point where all these small-scale encounters are not refreshing, which is a dilemma a lot of people like me are facing right now. It was great in the beginning, but it's starting to become a bit tiresome.

I can kind of understand why some don't care for DIU. So far it hasn't really grabbed me. Someone said it's the characters that are the selling point and if that's the case it might end up 3rd on my list behind SC and BT.

With that said, there is still about 20 episodes left so my feelings can change, but as of now DIU is just ok to me.
Same boat.

I've said this before, but the plot of DiU is that the town of Morioh is a quiet town with a bunch of weird shit going on under the surface, with a bunch of good, bad and neutral people getting weird powers. Saying there's "no plot' is just wrong, there's been plot from episode 1, and it's the same all the way til DiU ends. Even the main villain of the Part fits under this umbrella.

Really, Morioh is the main character of DiU.

But there comes a point where all these small-scale encounters are not refreshing, which is a dilemma a lot of people like me are facing right now. It was great in the beginning, but it's starting to become a bit tiresome.

Like I said, the structure here is simply not what a lot of people have come to expect from narratives. That's probably even more true today than when Diamond is Unbreakable was originally written. If you look at Western TV dramas over the past couple decades, they've developed from loosely organized, highly episodic adventures to the point where every show, even simple procedurals, are throwing in consistent hooks for an overarching plot to keep people guessing what's going to happen next. The proliferation of social media encourages people developing serialized narratives to include many different ongoing mysteries to encourage speculation and hence discussion and popularity. It's fine if that's the sort of TV show you want to watch. Personally I feel there's a lot of merit in episodic stories that aren't all about The Mystery, and I'm glad that TV shows like that can still get made, even if this one is an adaptation of an older work.

Kurtofan

I mean I'm okay with stuff taking its time, but as a first time diu watcher it feels like its taken too long to get to the main point of the series which I imagine on a rewatch won't be an issue. Every other part of jojo so far within 3 episodes you know the main cast and what the goal of the season is. Diu by comparison has drip fed us major characters and has a weird structure of "find this guy with the bow... Actually this guy with the bow... Actually this murder who killed the ghost you just met" which I find personally frustrating. People kept calling this series "scooby doo with stands/the series persona 4 ripped off" yet until last weeks episode (haven't seen the most recent) I wouldn't remotely attach the word mystery to this series.

The bebop comparison also isn't fair since that series started full sale as a vignette style and even its "main story" is told across 3 vignettes but the whole casts main stories are told the same way. Part 1 and 2 of jojo were completely narrative driven, part 3 used each city/country to create a stand of the week vignette but we always knew the goal and we saw progress made each week towards it. Part 4 hasn't had that yet its felt mostly disconnected, I get its intentional but I keep waiting for the moment everything snaps together and it keeps not happening.

The main story started just last week. The mystery just started. Episodes coming up are going to be major game changers.

Part 4 really started last week, basically. All the previous stuff was more like setting the story, the cast etc... Or maybe Araki didn't have a great idea for a villain at first and floundered a bit with Akira...
But most characters introduced so far play a role in the story, so it wasn't for nothing.

Mortemis

Banned
Don't expect DIU to turn into a highly rich and overarching story with a bunch of cliffhangers to keep you entertained. It gets better, but if you really don't like it now I don't know if you'll suddenly fall in love.

I love the way DIU goes. Honestly I probably watch more episodic anime these days, so it's more to my likings.

Kurtofan

Don't expect DIU to turn into a highly rich and overarching story with a bunch of cliffhangers to keep you entertained. It gets better, but if you really don't like it now I don't know if you'll suddenly fall in love.

I love the way DIU goes. Honestly I probably watch more episodic anime these days, so it's more to my likings.

Well there's at least an overarching storyline that's just not present in the first part of DIU (or present but not really grabbing, like Akira and RHCP)

But I agree that DIU is strongly slice of life, it's part of its dna.

Ascheroth

I've said this before, but the plot of DiU is that the town of Morioh is a quiet town with a bunch of weird shit going on under the surface, with a bunch of good, bad and neutral people getting weird powers. Saying there's "no plot' is just wrong, there's been plot from episode 1, and it's the same all the way til DiU ends. Even the main villain of the Part fits under this umbrella.

Really, Morioh is the main character of DiU.
This, a hundred times.

jett

D-Member
George Costanza's Bizarre Adventure
KDXVPlm.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL8s1HjKqCg

DIOOOOOOOO

Madao

I just want Another One Bites the Dust, ot would be so perfect, but i fear licensing fees for Queen are way too high?

speaking of that, are licensing fees dependant on the band or on songs?

like, would any Queen song be just as expensive or are there cheaper songs between them?

fertygo

DIU is very unique because most chapter is like this and light on content.. its one of kind so better learn to savor it if you still can't well theres plenty of stuff out there that more to your liking and even future jojo part is lean toward actiony stuf

Betty

Banned
speaking of that, are licensing fees dependant on the band or on songs?

like, would any Queen song be just as expensive or are there cheaper songs between them?

Having had to deal with music licensing recently I can tell you it does vary between songs and bands.

A more popular song usually requires more to license it, the bigger artists can sometimes require hundreds of thousands just for the right to use a single song once.

Jeeves

Speaking as someone who's read the manga, does anyone else feel like part 4 is the Majora's Mask of the series? Without going into too much detail, I think there are many parallels to be drawn.

Obviously Stardust is the Ocarina of Time of the series.

Speaking as someone who's read the manga, does anyone else feel like part 4 is the Majora's Mask of the series? Without going into too much detail, I think there are many parallels to be drawn.

Obviously Stardust is the Ocarina of Time of the series.

No, because JoJolion is the Majora's Mask.

Thud

I think Jojolion is more like link's awakening.

Jojolion is the weirdest, but not that creepy. DIU has a few arcs that could be from Majora's Mask. However I don't want to bring up spoilers just for a silly comparison.

Jeeves

I can only assume you say that because of the way it takes something familiar and remixes it?

Still, part 4 does have the focus on a small town and getting to know its locals, a kind of meandering story that could be likened to all the side questing to be done in MM along the way, and if you want to push it you could say there's a similarity between Crazy Diamond's power and the Song of Healing, and another between the Bow and Arrow and various masks including Majora's Mask itself. Among fans, part 4 is also the one with a vocal minority that calls it their personal favorite, despite following up the more widely revered part 3, which was a more sprawling adventure (with a more straightforward plot) that set in place important concepts (mostly stands) used in everything to follow it.

There are other things things to be compared as well if you're looking beyond what's been aired so far, but I don't want spoilers to get out of hand.

cntr

Banned
random thoughts: Tower of Gray was DIO's most effective minion in the first half of SC at stopping the Crusaders, since he turned a plane trip of a few hours into a 50 day voyage

random thoughts: Tower of Gray was DIO's most effective minion in the first half of SC at stopping the Crusaders, since he turned a plane trip of a few hours into a 50 day voyage
Wouldn't the Crusaders have lost though if they ran into Dio's most powerful Stand users before they themselves even knew how to work their stands? Not to mention lack of Iggy for N'Doul.

Thud

Should have kept joseph on a seperate plane.

We call it monster of the week, but it was actually vehicle of the week.

cntr

Banned
Wouldn't the Crusaders have lost though if they ran into Dio's most powerful Stand users before they themselves even knew how to work their stands? Not to mention lack of Iggy for N'Doul.
Nah, they'd have to fight everybody who was in Egypt, so both Tarot and God users.

The irony
Hey man, we've gon over this.
Actual spoilers:
I know to some extent whatll happen in DIU, but only regarding Kiras stand. Because I wanted to change my name to a JoJo's reference and Star Platinum were already taken so i went through the part 4 stands on the wiki and chose my favorite before part 4 aired so no one would have the chance to take it first. Also my favorite stand in general next to D4C

Top Bottom