• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

So
I guess I'm not making an appearance next week?
if so I might just quit this show and wait till it's over to binge. Although I like the characters I'm getting kinda bored.

Man. You are the worst.
I love you too <3
Edit:To be far, the show has been on for four months, is half way done and still only the manga readers have any idea of what the fuck is actually going on so I don't think it's unfair to be a little frustrated. I binged SDC and maybe that's why I liked it more because it never felt like a drag because I could pick up and stop whenever and wherever I wanted not only that but they had a clear destination and they were moving towards that with each episode literally. I don't feel that here and while I do enjoy spending time with these characters it can only go so far considering none of them are particularly deep and Okuyasu is a fairly 1 note Buffoon most of the time and Koichi is lame.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To this day I am wondering if those are actually spikes on his skin or just hair coloring matching his skin like Bart Simpson

cntr

Banned
Oh yeah, if you guys are wondering how Josuke pulled off that trick with the ticket: he repaired portions of the paper to its natural state without any ink in it.

I love you too <3
Edit:To be far, the show has been on for four months, is half way done and still only the manga readers have any idea of what the fuck is actually going on so I don't think it's unfair to be a little frustrated. I binged SDC and maybe that's why I liked it more because it never felt like a drag because I could pick up and stop whenever and wherever I wanted not only that but they had a clear destination and they were moving towards that with each episode literally. I don't feel that here and while I do enjoy spending time with these characters it can only go so far considering none of them are particularly deep and Okuyasu is a fairly 1 note Buffoon most of the time and Koichi is lame.

Uh, DiU is purposefully different than DiU, and no, it's not manga readers who know what's going on. But as a manga reader, and I will repeat this for the umpteenth time, but DiU is about the town of Morioh and its inhabitants (of which Stands are introduced). That's it. The main villain also falls completely under that umbrella.

Also don't you ever disparage Okuyasu again while I'm around. He's a good boy, he's very strong, and he's my friend.

Edit: Like seriously are you the type of person who complains about X-Files episodes that aren't about aliens/Mulder's sister? Because they don't "move things forward?" Because shit most of the best X-Files eps are not alien eps

Okuyasu a one note buffon?

Koichi lame

Bruh this is slander I just cannot tolerate.
I love Okuyasu though, it's not an insult, I love his silliness but it gets a little tiring after a while simply because it's better used in small doses or among a larger cast of characters or someone that isn't just Josuke.
Fuck Koichi tho.
Just read the manga, dude. I don't know why you'd name yourself after something from a series you haven't read yet.
I've explained this like twice in this thread alone so I'm not gunna go over it again.
Uh, DiU is purposefully different than DiU, and no, it's not manga readers who know what's going on. But as a manga reader, and I will repeat this for the umpteenth time, but DiU is about the town of Morioh and its inhabitants (of which Stands are introduced). That's it. The main villain also falls completely under that umbrella.

Also don't you ever disparage Okuyasu again while I'm around. He's a good boy, he's very strong, and he's my friend.
I'm not saying it's bad for being different, just that I like one more than the other and I'm just not a fan of having to wait so long to get to what interests me, probably because I've been spoiled by binging all the other parts at once. And again it's not slander, Okuyasu is probably my favorite new character from DiU, but he's still kind of a one note Buffoon.

I love Okuyasu though, it's not an insult, I love his silliness but it gets a little tiring after a while simply because it's better used in small doses or among a larger cast of characters or someone that isn't just Josuke.
Fuck Koichi tho.

I've explained this like twice in this thread alone so I'm not gunna go over it again.

I'm not saying it's bad for being different, just that I like one more than the other and I'm just not a fan of having to wait so long to get to what interests me, probably because I've been spoiled by binging all the other parts at once. And again it's not slander, Okuyasu is probably my favorite new character from DiU, but he's still kind of a one note Buffoon.

The main villain being active in the show won't change how DiU is, like at all. So you might as well just drop it now and come back later.

DiU is literally just a story about a group of people who hang out and solve various mysteries in a small Japanese town related to a magical bow and arrow.

That's it. That's the entire premise. They don't save the world. This doesn't have a "larger" meaning. It's just a character adventure with fucking magical Stand fights.

If that doesn't sound appealing to you then yeah, I suggest waiting for Vento to get animated, that's much more in line with a "grander" plot.

cntr

Banned
My only issue with the arcs being swapped is getting another week of people being mad about the "lack of plot", lol.

If you have so many issues with the anime right now, yeah, just take a break and binge later.

I don't even think the plot or lack there of is an issue.
I just wanna see Killer Queen and Kira fuck shit up in animation
and I'm just kinda frustrated it's taken 4 months to get there with not much going on otherwise. I really liked the ghost episode, ratt episode and the RHCP episodes but I'm also not a fan of nearly every new encounter being a two parter as it feels like it drags things on when you're watching on a weekly basis. I think some of you are taking my criticisms to mean that I hate it or even dislike it and I don't.

Madao

even though people knew about DIO since the first ep, it took 44 eps to see him in action.

DiU will be over before it even has that many eps.

Kurtofan

So
I guess I'm not making an appearance next week?
if so I might just quit this show and wait till it's over to binge. Although I like the characters I'm getting kinda bored.

Just one episode more! this next one isn't even a two parter.

one week and then you're going to love the next month or so.

Gradivus

I don't even think the plot or lack there of is an issue.
I just wanna see Killer Queen and Kira fuck shit up in animation
and I'm just kinda frustrated it's taken 4 months to get there with not much going on otherwise. I really liked the ghost episode, ratt episode and the RHCP episodes but I'm also not a fan of nearly every new encounter being a two parter as it feels like it drags things on when you're watching on a weekly basis. I think some of you are taking my criticisms to mean that I hate it or even dislike it and I don't.

I can understand how you feel, my friend has similar feelings about DiU too. It shifts the progress of the story back and forwards a lot, which can get under people's skin. All I can suggest is to try and hold out a little longer

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Oh yeah, if you guys are wondering how Josuke pulled off that trick with the ticket: he repaired portions of the paper to its natural state without any ink in it.

Cool. I thought he was punching the ink to make it a different shape >_>

Thud

To be fair, I appreciate DIU a lot more because I've read it before and the adaption is in good hands.

What a beautiful duwang.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Oh my god how do people find the time to make this stuff. Shouldn't Dio be singing Holy Diver?
"I've been down too long in the midnight sea. Oh, what's becoming of me?"
In my head canon, Za Warudo is wearing scuba gear because of all the years Dio spent under the sea.

cntr

Banned
In my head canon, Za Warudo is wearing scuba gear because of all the years Dio spent under the sea.
Dio even chose to live in a desert country.

Plus he can make a sick Holy Diver reference with the scuba gear.

"Ryde da Tiga!!" That actually makes sense though. Why else would Za Warudo be wearing scuba gear?

cntr

Banned
I wonder what other references have been worked into the stand designs.
One non-spoiler example I know of: Red Hot Chili Pepper has electricity powers instead of fire powers because it's a joke about Esidesi (AC/DC), who had fire powers instead of electricity.

One non-spoiler example I know of: Red Hot Chili Pepper has electricity powers instead of fire powers because it's a joke about Esidesi (AC/DC), who had fire powers instead of electricity.
So Araki doesn't just do things for random reasons. Nice tidbit.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Great episode

tumblr_ng9h7zDrI01u31860o3_540.jpg

tumblr_ng9h7zDrI01u31860o4_540.jpg

Damn, this is greaaaat!

Harvest punching Okuyasu eye and ripping Josuke eyelid make me squirm a bit. Shigechi is brutal.

cntr

Banned
actually I made a list of references, so might as well crosspost:

• Morioh is based on Araki's hometown of Sendai in Miyagi Prefecture. In the series, Morioh is a rural commuter town of S-City, and is located in M-Prefecture.
  • Josuke's name is a punning kanji joke on how &#20183;&#21161; can be read as both J&#333;suke and J&#333;j&#333;, and how he's an illegitimate branch of the Joestar family. His last name &#26481;&#26041; Higashikata is normally read as t&#333;h&#333; "eastern", so his entire name be read as "Eastern Jojo", or "Eastern Joseph". (yes, like that touhou)
  • Crazy Diamond is named after Pink Floyd's Shine On You Crazy Diamond, as is Shining Diamond. His name is also a reference to Star Platinum, platinum and diamond both being shiny hard objects. In the manga, Jotaro names Josuke's stand.
  • Angelo's Aqua Necklace is a reference to the album Aqua, by Asia. Angelo is named after Angelo Badalamenti, the composer for Twin Peaks, which influenced DiU.
  • Okuyasu's The Hand is a reference to the band...The Band. In Japanese, The Band and The Hand are written almost the same, with just a small mark "erased".
  • Keicho's Bad Company is a reference to the song Bad Company, from the album Bad Company, by Bad Company. Bad Company is the first "swarm" stand in the series.
  • Tamami's The Lock is another pun on The Rock, a song from The Who.
  • Koichi's Echoes is named after Echoes, by Pink Floyd. Koichi and Echoes are based on Gohan and Cell from Dragonball Z.
  • Hazamada's Surface is named after the band Surface. Its powers and appearance are based on Perman and his copy robot from a manga by Fujiko F. Fujio (better known for Doraemon).
  • Yukako's Love Deluxe is named after Love Deluxe, by the English band Sade. Yukako is based on Annie Wilkes, a character from Stephen King's Misery. Beauty is associated with hair in Japan, so Araki gave her hair powers to exaggerate her vanity.
  • Tonio's Pearl Jam is named after the band Pearl Jam. His last name, Trussardi, is a reference to an Italian fashion brand of the same name. ("Trendy" literally, hence the Crunchyroll name)
  • Akira's Red Hot Chili Pepper is a reference to the band Red Hot Chili Peppers. His electricity powers is a joke from Esidesi (AC/DC, uses fire powers) from Part 2. Akira using his guitar to threaten to kill moms is a reference to the Frank Zappa song My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama. Akira's appearance is based on Japanese rockstar Kenji Ohtsuki (He's bald nowadays). Red Hot Chili Pepper's design is based on Frieza from Dragonball Z.

[*]The invisible baby's stand, Achtung Baby, is named after Achtung Baby, an album by U2.

[*]Rohan's Heaven's Door is named after Bob Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door. People commonly assume Rohan is based on Araki himself, but he's not. But Rohan's rants on "reality" and wanting to be read reflect Araki's own opinions. The visual effect of Heaven's Door is based on how Araki likes drawing peeling skin. Heaven's Door's design is the "Pink Dark Boy" of Rohan's manga.

[*]Ratt is named after the heavy metal band Ratt, Araki getting into metal around now. Ratt is the first stand shared by multiple users.

[*]The first character in Reimi's name means "ghost". Arnold is probably named after Arnold Schwarzenegger. The story of their death is based on an urban legend, which was in turn a morphed version of a short story titled Bedtime for Sam.

[*]Kira is a pun on "killer". More on him later.

[*]Shigechi's Harvest, is named after the album Harvest, while his full name, Shigekyo Yangu, is from the album artist, Niel Young. His design is based on Dodoria, from Dragonball Z.

actually I made a list of references, so might as well crosspost:
My god these are great. I'm pretty sure you'll drop more in as the episodes come in. I wonder if there's a character named after Julee Cruise since she sang the theme song for Twin Peaks if I'm not mistaken. Thank god Yukako doesn't look like the movie version of Annie Wilkes. Of course Rohan isn't based on Araki, Araki doesn't seem like the type to lick insects.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
this has been nagging me for a while even back when I read the manga, but for a rural town, Morioh looks a bit more "American" than Japanese.

It's definitely not unreasonable for Araki to intentionally make it a Japanese town filtered through Stephen King/Twin Peaks/etc. It gives you that feel.

Top Bottom