• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Does this mean Killer Queen is utterly fucking broken?
image.php

Toonami (or rather Cartoon Network) and the Jojo anime are both under Warner Bros., who own the rights to Roundabout so I wouldn't worry about that.

So David or whoever pays out of pocket each time an episode plays as well or is there a different set of rules in other countries like Japan. What about shows like Boondocks and Rick and Morty that had licensed music in reruns, or syndicated shows like American Dad or Family Guy?

Edit: I get that in latter instances, it's not as frequent as an ending to anime. I'm just legitimately curious about those.

Kurtofan

People don't mention it much, but props to David Pro for the whole Morioh-cho Radio thing, it's greato

yeah the prologue scene they added was great, really want to hear that full song

All in all that episode was great save for that 2 seconds long bad shot (which people love to focus on :p, even though the silhouette intro and the final shot with kira and kq were great)

There was also that a funny bad Josuke face that I thought was way more egregious.

cntr

Banned
thinking about it, I like how you're forced to root for Kira in this arc because you don't want the crew finding the hand and being killed

Yonafunu

Killer Queen was far from the only bad thing in this episode. Shigechi kept changing size and Josuke was all over the fucking place.

Erigu

Killer Queen was far from the only bad thing in this episode. Shigechi kept changing size and Josuke was all over the fucking place.
Yes, it was a fairly ugly episode overall. Hopefully not a sign of things to come (it's the first time they air three cours of JoJo episodes in a row).

Mista Koo

I really enjoyed the episode. It has a fairly common plot, except with a serial killer who is the main villain.
I like how Kira didn't kill the dog. But I hate Killer Queen's belt skirt thing.

Permanently A

outsourcing this episode of all episodes

DZTXhmC.jpg

it would have been fine if they just ended on the shadowy menacing Killer Queen and then had the next episode animated by David

Breads

Banned
Yeah, but Ratt had the benefit of a damn good keyframe artist. (Among other things, I think)

Yeah whoever did that deserves a god damn award. Although the backgrounds were boring the key art on Jotaro and Josuke was absolutely amazing and among the best I've seen in non ova/ film anime.

Something interesting I haven't seen brought up: because manga readers at the time didn't get the benefit of Kira's preexisting fame, an OP filled with iconography that screamed "Stand" and "main bad guy," or multiple previews of Kira as a threat to our heroes, the way the original version of this episode was told very much allowed for ambiguity about Kira being a Stand user or not. Remember, Reimi said she was killed by being stabbed, and Koichi admitted when asked by Josuke that he had no idea whether the mysterious Morioh killer was a Stand user. Up until the end Kira shows no signs of having any supernatural power, going through the trouble of sneaking into the room and trying to use a coat hanger to get the sandwich bag instead of grabbing it with a punchghost, being wary about taking on three seemingly normal students, and while he's hiding inside the equipment, he doesn't see Harvest while it's sneaking up on him so the reader isn't sure if he can't see it or if he doesn't notice it.

Even when Harvest grabs the bag at the end, his wording is that something is pulling at the bag, which is just vague enough to be ambiguous, and it's not until he says "You have the same ability as me" that it's confirmed.

In other words, Kira is treated as a very odd but human (and vulnerable) figure up until he's caught and he reveals that he has powers, at which point his entire demeanor switches and he becomes extremely forward and menacing.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Something interesting I haven't seen brought up: because manga readers at the time didn't get the benefit of Kira's preexisting fame, an OP filled with iconography that screamed "Stand" and "main bad guy," or multiple previews of Kira as a threat to our heroes, the way the original version of this episode was told very much allowed for ambiguity about Kira being a Stand user or not. Remember, Reimi said she was killed by being stabbed, and Koichi admitted when asked by Josuke that he had no idea whether the mysterious Morioh killer was a Stand user. Up until the end Kira shows no signs of having any supernatural power, going through the trouble of sneaking into the room and trying to use a coat hanger to get the sandwich bag instead of grabbing it with a punchghost, being wary about taking on three seemingly normal students, and while he's hiding inside the equipment, he doesn't see Harvest while it's sneaking up on him so the reader isn't sure if he can't see it or if he doesn't notice it.

Even when Harvest grabs the bag at the end, his wording is that something is pulling at the bag, which is just vague enough to be ambiguous, and it's not until he says "You have the same ability as me" that it's confirmed.

In other words, Kira is treated as a very odd but human (and vulnerable) figure up until he's caught and he reveals that he has powers, at which point his entire demeanor switches and he becomes extremely forward and menacing.

Kira's introduction is a nice departure from the introductions of the previous main antagonists. While we get to see what Dio was like before he became a vampire, he reveals his new powers immediately by slicing off the top of a guy's head with ease. We already know that Kars has to be extremely powerful from the moment he's introduced because he's a pillar man, and we already know about Dio's vampiric powers at the start of part 3, and it's established that he definitely has a Stand early on.

Betty

Banned

At this point I thought he really wasn't a stand user and that he'd manifest his stand later on somehow.

Does Kira have multiple personality disorder like Shinobu Sensui? Where one personality has the stand and the other is just an abnormal killing bloke with a fondness for licking hands? How else can you explain Kira not being able to see Harvest while Josuke and Okuyasu were immediately able to see the damn things?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Does Kira have multiple personality disorder like Shinobu Sensui? Where one personality has the stand and the other is just an abnormal killing bloke with a fondness for licking hands? How else can you explain Kira not being able to see Harvest while Josuke and Okuyasu were immediately able to see the damn things?

Even josuke and okyasu didnt notice harvest until they made themselves known or josuke just accidentally see them sneaking under soda machines and such, remember they were straight up eating them for a while before they even realized what was going on

Odd character models aside, I really enjoyed this episode. I'm starting to see why people love Kira.
Serial killers who treat their acts and victims as casual, normal activities are interesting to watch.

Although, you'd think someone as careful and safe as that would have just put the hand in his jacket pocket and dispose of the bag. That seems like a glaring mistake.

Matsukaze

Odd character models aside, I really enjoyed this episode. I'm starting to see why people love Kira.
Serial killers who treat their acts and victims as casual, normal activities are interesting to watch.

Although, you'd think someone as careful and safe as that would have just put the hand in his jacket pocket and dispose of the bag. That seems like a glaring mistake
I always interpreted it as Kira being wary of having that death-stench seeping into his clothes, after he notices the hand's odor is becoming more pungent. He can always throw away a paper bag but getting the smell of decay out of his clothing is a wee bit trickier.

Guess Who

Banned

Even josuke and okyasu didnt notice harvest until they made themselves known or josuke just accidentally see them sneaking under soda machines and such, remember they were straight up eating them for a while before they even realized what was going on

I think Harvest is meant to be smaller and less noticeable in-universe than we see it.

Maybe they're not really noticeable until they pick up and grab something? Or maybe they can be manifested under clothing and objects? You did bring up some good points. That and Harvest inserted alcohol into their veins withouth them noticing.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, Kira's great because of how mundane he is. Dio was a vampire trying to be a god, the Pillar Men were gods, and now we have a small-town serial killer panicking over having his sandwich bag stolen by a middle schooler. He even makes a shitty pun to himself about how "break up a relationship" and "sever a hand" sound similar in Japanese.

The anime version of Harvest is a big bigger and taller than the manga version, there they're more like the size and shape of an acorn.

Yeah, Kira's great because of how mundane he is. Dio was a vampire trying to be a god, the Pillar Men were gods, and now we have a small-town serial killer panicking over having his sandwich bag stolen by a middle schooler. He even makes a shitty pun to himself about how "break up a relationship" and "sever a hand" sound similar in Japanese.

The anime version of Harvest is a big bigger and taller than the manga version, there they're more like the size and shape of an acorn.
Funny enough Kira is a serial killer trying not to stand out, which in it's own way is a cliche of what serial killers do. I also just realized that some serial killers tend to get tripped up on random shit like failing to stop at a stop sign and that draws attention towards them. Also why is there nobody in Morio-cho investigating all these disappearances? Even Persona 4 had Noato, Adachi and Dojima working the cases.

cntr

Banned
The police are investigating, but Kira being a Stand user makes it difficult. Josuke's granddad and a news report talk about it in Episode 2.

Top Bottom