• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

You can always spoil tag the picture.

8d3.png

tumblr_o1rnhy8Q1C1rdd6kao1_500.png

This is a killer queen cat fanart thread now

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
JoJo created memes before there were memes.

JoJo's been around for a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long time. It's one of those rare series where its old enough to have influenced people, have those people work currently in the industry and have itself still going. Young Japanese kids who read JoJo and Dragon Ball when they were young could be knee deep writing their own manga. JoJo is the Spielberg of manga.

JoJo's been around for a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long time. It's one of those rare series where its old enough to have influenced people, have those people work currently in the industry and have itself still going. Young Japanese kids who read JoJo and Dragon Ball when they were young could be knee deep writing their own manga. JoJo is the Spielberg of manga.

Hell, there was a recent interview with Togashi and Kishimoto where Togashi said he admired Araki because of his "drawing skill and storytelling"

Hell, there was a recent interview with Togashi and Kishimoto where Togashi said he admired Araki because of his "drawing skill and storytelling"
That's praise from a good source especially since Togashi got his territory segment from stands. Kishimoto probably didn't know how to incorporate stands or stand mechanics into Naruto.
Araki's the only manga author who seems to be getting younger instead of dying
Cause he's a pillar man that found the Red Stone of Aja.

cntr

Banned
Jojo popularized the idea of using superpowers as rule-based things extended by cleverness rather than infinitely growing blunt power, so in a sense almost every shounen today is inspired by Jojo. Nen, quirks, devil fruits...they all trace back to stands becoming popular.

Jojo popularized the idea of using superpowers as rule-based things extended by cleverness rather than infinitely growing blunt power, so in a sense almost every shounen today is inspired by Jojo. Nen, quirks, devil fruits...they all trace back to stands becoming popular.
Yeah I'm actually watching HxH and they do remind me of stand abilities, though I doubt they get as outlandish as Stands.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
rmWhdiU.gif

Maybe we do have to go back to posting this every page cntr

What separates Stands from devil fruits and Nen is that it isn't some normalized thing.

It's called Jojo's BIZARRE Adventure, so all the characters are freaking out along with the audience.

What separates Stands from devil fruits and Nen is that it isn't some normalized thing.

It's called Jojo's BIZARRE Adventure, so all the characters are freaking out along with the audience.
That and something tells me if Togashi did stands they'd have a class or grouping explaining their traits and how and why they get placed in that specific class system and a very well defined rating system. Yeah sure stands are rated but there's fuck all consistency with that shit. Though even with that said it's very easy to see Togashi respects Araki, which is very well deserved.

cntr

Banned
There are some canon stand classes, but they're pretty vague and full of exceptions.

Stand stats were introduced in Part 5, so Part 3 and 4's retroactive stats are sillier than the later parts.

There are some canon stand classes, but they're pretty vague and full of exceptions.

Stand stats were introduced in Part 5, so Part 3 and 4's retroactive stats are sillier than the later parts.
Oh ok, that makes some sense then cause currently the stats make no fucking sense. And regarding the classes thing. Togashi doesn't seem to do vague and probably outlines that shit out.

cntr

Banned
So far, we've seen:

short-range stands (Star Platinum, Crazy Diamond, Echoes), can't go far but are strong
long-range stands (Echoes, Hierophant Green), can go very far, but rely on their ability more than their strength
automatic stands (Thoth, Bastet), work without the user's input, and usually have huge or infinite ranges

swarm stands (Bad Company, Harvest), made up of multiple small units
bound stands (Wheel of Fortune, Strength, The Fool, Thoth), bound to a physical object

cntr

Banned
Red Hot Chili Pepper is a weird hybrid of a short- and long-range stand. It's bound to an electrical source, not its user, and its range is calculated from there.

Huh. Never thought of it being bound to electrical source. Neat. Range is still pretty amazing with the potential speed/power it can develop, but at least not infinite.

remz

Ok so what's weirder? Nen or Stands? I just witnessed somebody getting killed and then sucked up by a Nen powered vacuum cleaner monster.

TBH I would not be suprised if Togashi's ideas for Nen were influenced by Jojo's application of stands. They both kind of share the thing where not everyone's ability has an obvious combat use, and that battles usually boil down to scheming/strategising over brute force. Although Nen seems to have more rigid/sensible rules so I guess stands are weirder? esp. counting stands that aren't just punch ghosts.

cntr

Banned
Togashi's better at defining and exploiting rules, but Araki's better at sheer ludicrous bullshit.

Also, I'm pretty sure Araki and Togashi are friends in real life; YYH and DiU ran alongside each other, wouldn't be surprised if they swapped some ideas.

Top Bottom