• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

Stand range is weird. Was the bag that far he couldn't use Killer Queen?

The way Kira is written you can tell the audience was supposed to wonder whether or not Kira was actually a stand user.

Araki loves loves loves messing with the audience, even if it doesn't always hold up writing wise when examined.

NEO0MJ

But why would he use Killer Queen for that?
Kira just wants to live a quite life. He seems like he wouldn't use his Stand unless it was absolutely necessary.

Yeah. I like to think that even though he could actually see harvest he was pretending not to so he could run away and get forgotten.

Killer Queen looks good. I knew people overreacted for nothing because of the bad quality you saw for a second last week.

Gonna be most likely fixed in the blu ray release anyway.

Blues1990

I needed to take a break from the series (the last episode that I watch was when Jotaro enlists Josuke's help in hunting a rat Stand user), but I'm so far behind.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The way Kira is written you can tell the audience was supposed to wonder whether or not Kira was actually a stand user.

Araki loves loves loves messing with the audience, even if it doesn't always hold up writing wise when examined.

I don't think this really worked, though. It's simply not a credible supposition that Kira would not be a stand user; how would the series even work if he couldn't fight the protagonists? Sometimes Araki pulls this off really well, but this was not one of those times.

NEO0MJ

I don't think this really worked, though. It's simply not a credible supposition that Kira would not be a stand user; how would the series even work if he couldn't fight the protagonists? Sometimes Araki pulls this off really well, but this was not one of those times.

I think he wanted the readers to think he'd develop it later. Plus Manga readers had no idea he'd be the main antagonist, I think.

Betty

Banned

I thought for sure Kira wasn't a stand user in the last episode, especially when he seemed like he couldn't see Harvest pulling on his sandwich bag.

So for me as a first time viewer I assumed he'd get hit with the arrow later on or something in custody and obtain a stand then.

cntr

Banned
If you were following DiU in the 90s weekly, you wouldn't have any idea that Kira would become the main villain. A small town serial killer, when the previous villains were Dio and the Pillar Men? It was a genuine surprise that Kira turned out to be a big deal.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think he wanted the readers to think he'd develop it later. Plus Manga readers had no idea he'd be the main antagonist, I think.

Oh, fair play. I've never read the manga, but after ghost girl it just seemed obvious Kira would become the main antagonist, and therefore that he must have a Stand. Could have been lost in translation between the media.

Part 4 does seem a bit rambling, though - like Araki couldn't quite decide what he wanted to do with it and kept changing focus. First it was cure the Dio bud (are we going back to that?), then it was arrows, then RHCP (with a weirdly anticlimatic defeat), then small-town serial killer. It's still my second favourite Jojo part (2>4>1>3) as someone coming entirely fresh with no prior exposure, but given the strong characterization it could have gone for more direction. It's surprising because I had the exact opposite feeling about part 3 - the direction was stifling and we were given no opportunity to explore the characters; I just feel right now like Araki struggles with the balance a bit.

This week teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJDDU0PHW5g

Thank god David Pro fixed Killer Queen's face.

Yeah big spoilers. KQ's face looks good though.

Oh, fair play. I've never read the manga, but after ghost girl it just seemed obvious Kira would become the main antagonist, and therefore that he must have a Stand. Could have been lost in translation between the media.

Part 4 does seem a bit rambling, though - like Araki couldn't quite decide what he wanted to do with it and kept changing focus. First it was cure the Dio bud (are we going back to that?), then it was arrows, then RHCP (with a weirdly anticlimatic defeat), then small-town serial killer. It's still my second favourite Jojo part (2>4>1>3) as someone coming entirely fresh with no prior exposure, but given the strong characterization it could have gone for more direction. It's surprising because I had the exact opposite feeling about part 3 - the direction was stifling and we were given no opportunity to explore the characters; I just feel right now like Araki struggles with the balance a bit.

The DIO bud was more like a backstory thing all wrapped together in the RHCP 'arc'. DiU is best seen as a series of short stories.

I needed to take a break from the series (the last episode that I watch was when Jotaro enlists Josuke's help in hunting a rat Stand user), but I'm so far behind.

Well you're only like 5 episode behind so if you've got the time...

How can a guy seen walking around randomly with a disembodied hand 10 episodes after a ghost fucking tells you there's a murderer that needs to be caught, not be the main antagonist?

Permanently A

The reason Kira feels like a "finally, the main antagonist is here" for you guys is because David Pro added those little teasers where Kira dines with his hands, as well as the hyping up from people who have read the manga. That was never in the manga. When Kira shows up for the first time in the manga its not really clear how much of a threat he is.

cntr

Banned
yeah, DiU is a 20 year old manga, Kira being the main villain is common knowledge in Japan. hence, teasers up the wazoo

Yeah it kind of sucks for anime only viewers that they telegraphed Kira from a mile away. A huge part of DiU to me was how out of left field every moment involving Kira was. It's like Araki was continously challenging himself to deviate from your usual shonen villain. With that being said, I can see why leaving the series in a much smaller and more laid back state would harm viewership, so I can see their intentions there.

Kurtofan

Yeah it kind of sucks for anime only viewers that they telegraphed Kira from a mile away. A huge part of DiU to me was how out of left field every moment involving Kira was. It's like Araki was continously challenging himself to deviate from your usual shonen villain. With that being said, I can see why leaving the series in a much smaller and more laid back state would harm viewership, so I can see their intentions there.

The teasers are for the manga readers only, you don't even see his body.

Permanently A

The teasers are for the manga readers only, you don't even see his body.

Well, not exactly. You see severed hands multiple times, and then you finally get to see the man with the hands. They wouldn't make a bunch of teasers spanning multiple episodes for some nobody character. Anime only fans should be able to infer this.

cntr

Banned
Hot Chilli Pepper and Aqua Necklace are controlled by their users directly; all stands which are directly controlled have the ability to speak for their users, though it's not very useful with short range stands.

Surface works autonomously, and copies the personality of its target.

How can a guy seen walking around randomly with a disembodied hand 10 episodes after a ghost fucking tells you there's a murderer that needs to be caught, not be the main antagonist?
Well he could have been just another Angelo or Akira and the real main villain gets revealed much later because we knew him since Episode 1.

Koichi was the main villain all along! ;)

Well he could have been just another Angelo or Akira and the real main villain gets revealed much later because we knew him since Episode 1.

Koichi was the main villain all along! ;)
That's cause Koichi has no dignity. Though Yukako's probably making a better man out of him as we speak. Does Love Deluxe even have stand form or is it literally her hair?

Ridley327

That's cause Koichi has no dignity. Though Yukako's probably making a better man out of him as we speak. Does Love Deluxe even have stand form or is it literally her hair?

The impression I get is that Love Deluxe is 100% bonded to Yukako's hair. I'm sure the question of "what happens when someone shaves her head" has come up before, but I'm not sure how relevant it is.

The impression I get is that Love Deluxe is 100% bonded to Yukako's hair. I'm sure the question of "what happens when someone shaves her head" has come up before, but I'm not sure how relevant it is.
I don't think Yukako would let anybody shave her head though. If stands have self preservation instincts I don't see that happening ever.

Ridley327

I don't think Yukako would let anybody shave her head though. If stands have self preservation instincts I don't see that happening ever.

That's what I would figure. I do think it's one of those weird Stands where it doesn't transmit sustained damage to its user, but that does make sense since hair in of itself doesn't transmit pain unless damage is done to the root. After all, Yukako was still raring to go toe-to-toe with Koichi after she got fried and frayed.

I guess it's a bit like The Fool in that regard, though not nearly as infinitely adaptable since it's still bound to Yukako's head.

That's what I would figure. I do think it's one of those weird Stands where it doesn't transmit sustained damage to its user, but that does make sense since hair in of itself doesn't transmit pain unless damage is done to the root. After all, Yukako was still raring to go toe-to-toe with Koichi after she got fried and frayed.

I guess it's a bit like The Fool in that regard, though not nearly as infinitely adaptable since it's still bound to Yukako's head.
Is this the only stand to be a part of the users body?

Not really. There are later body users and so far Khnum, Oingo from the Oingo Boingo brothers Stand lets him change his face in Part 3 for example.
How nobody noticed that Oingo wasn't Jotaro is beyond me. The thing that killed me was that he made the hat out of his own hair. Who the hell is Khnum?

Top Bottom