• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

cntr

Banned
Great Days is going to lean to the Bloody Steam/Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town style, judging from the teaser and title

image.php

It's gonna be a great time to be a JoJo fan. Plus it'll be nice to have a new wave of fans appreciate the series.

That it most certainly is. The new wave of fans are in for a treat. I believe I will be too, as I've not watched the dubbed version of the show. Should be a nice treat! To add to that, once Viz confirmed it for Toonami and Blu-ray, my excitement for the series and its future were taken to even greater heights. It brings me great joy knowing that JoJo is getting the treatment it deserves.

Can't wait for new theories trying to figure out what Za Warudo does.

Aha, absolutely.

StoneFox

That it most certainly is. The new wave of fans are in for a treat. I believe I will be too, as I've not watched the dubbed version of the show. Should be a nice treat! To add to that, once Viz confirmed it for Toonami and Blu-ray, my excitement for the series and its future were taken to even greater heights. It brings me great joy knowing that JoJo is getting the treatment it deserves.
I watched Part 1 and 2 via the dub first and, outside of a few characters, it was very good. I especially liked Joseph's and Dio's voices and Jonathan's was good too. Everyone else was kinda what you'd expect from a dub.

Only thing the dub was missing was WRRRRYYYY. :p

I watched Part 1 and 2 via the dub first and, outside of a few characters, it was very good. I especially liked Joseph's and Dio's voices and Jonathan's was good too. Everyone else was kinda what you'd expect from a dub.

Does Dio say "Muda" in the dub?

StoneFox

Does Dio say "Muda" in the dub?
Aw geez I forgot that too. Pretty sure he just yells "USELESS!" over and over, which is fine since muda has no meaning to anyone who only speaks English. I get why they did that even if it's not quite the same pacing and harder to yell over and over again.

Now I wonder what they are going to do about Star Platinum. Hmm...

Nairume

Banned

Yeah, I had to rewind a few times before I caught that they replaced wrrrryyyy with generic vampire hissing.

Joseph's voice weirdly works amazingly. It actually comes off like Disken realized he could never get the raw force that Suigita had, so he plays up Joseph's prankster attitude in a way that really works well for the character.

Jonathan is mostly fine, but the main problem with him seems to have is that JYB and Seitz basically just use the same voices for Jonathan and Dio as kids and as adults. Since Seitz had already voiced Adult Dio for the test dub of SDC, you just get an episode of kid Dio sounding older than he should, and then that just carries over to him as an adult. Meanwhile, JYB starts with a younger voice for Jonathan and just keeps it after he becomes an adult. It's not bad otherwise. Just could stand to sound a little older.

Stroheim isn't great but everybody else is largely fine.

Basically the dub is fine overall and got overshadowed by the hilarious shenanigans surrounding the DVDs themselves.

Aw geez I forgot that too. Pretty sure he just yells "USELESS!" over and over, which is fine since muda has no meaning to anyone who only speaks English. I get why they did that even if it's not quite the same pacing and harder to yell over and over again.

At least with Star Platinum, "oraora" is just some generic shouting noise so they can feasibly use that in the dub. Same with Josuke's "dorara".

The real question is, will Avdol still say "HELL 2 U"?

But you can't have peak "meme Dio" without him saying "Muda." That's why I said JJBA just isn't accurate enough dubbed. I watch a ton of anime dubbed and stuff like Black Lagoon and Cowboy Bebop are actually better subbed, but JJBA just has to be subbed just for the over the top nature of it and some of the iconic parts of it are iconic for being in Japanese. I'm not saying the dub is good are bad, I'm just saying there's a certain heart to JJBA that just gets lost in translation. Sure it's watchable, but it's not the same thing.

StoneFox

Eh, it's silly that they didn't just use the Japanese voice actor, but I think it's some weird licensing thing they wanted to avoid. Like how Pokemon's dubbers had to pay to use Pikachu's Japanese voice instead of re-dubbing him.

And jesus I forgot that Kakyoin exploded, how did he manage to live through that. Haha

Nairume

Banned
Actually, the funny part with going from dubbed part 1/2 to dubbed part 3 is that it seems like they stopped doing the heavy accents.

Which I guess makes sense, because parts 1 and 2 generally have their character speaking english and approximating accents they'd probably have, while that'd be harder to justify with part 3. Does lead to a nice touch where Joseph has a clear accent when he's fresh off the boat in the 1930s but has lost it by the 1980s .

Breads

Banned
Eh, it's silly that they didn't just use the Japanese voice actor, but I think it's some weird licensing thing they wanted to avoid. Like how Pokemon's dubbers had to pay to use Pikachu's Japanese voice instead of re-dubbing him.

And jesus I forgot that Kakyoin exploded, how did he manage to live through that. Haha

Star platinum's spirit surgery. People often forget how many times Jotaro actually used it and just rolled with the fact that people magically got better afterward.

Astral

The OVA Dio said Muda in the dub. Hopefully they do the same here for the simple fact that saying useless that fast is way too hard. It works in the Phantom Blood scene because even I'm Japanese he doesn't say it very fast. Once they get to attack rushes though, you can forget it.

Nairume

Banned
I could see (and be fine with) a situation where Dio says useless when it's just him but Muda's with The World doing an attack rush, since they could then handwave muda as being The World's stand cry like SP's Ora's even though they're just saying the same thing.

Astral

I wonder how they're gonna do part 3's WRYYYYYY. They don't say it in the dub of Phantom Blood but it's not a big deal because he would say it under his breath but that one WRY in SDC is fucking grand. Is he just gonna yell?

Top Bottom